Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #31
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: Toyota TRD aurion? Much to gloat about?

Really? F6 resale is generally pretty good 3 years +? I lost 24k on my first one after 3.5 years and 75,000km which is pretty good for a new car these days I would have thought?
This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Prodrive only did assembly work on them, they never did any of the R&D. And I believe it was in a separate factory to the FPV operation.

From what I can recall you couldn't even switch the traction control off in them because they spun the wheels so much and torque steered so bad.

But there is some complicated method to be able to get it turned off, there's a whole bunch of steps you need to follow.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They can't have torque steered THAT bad considering they've only got 400NM of torque, I've got 340nm in the Focus and it hardly does.

Unless because it comes on that hard, but look at things like the Focus RS or people with highly modified XR5 Turbos.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #34
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Really? F6 resale is generally pretty good 3 years +? I lost 24k on my first one after 3.5 years and 75,000km which is pretty good for a new car these days I would have thought?
Wasn't a comparison to the F6 or any FPV, more towards the publics propensity for whitegoods on wheels, but I stand corrected on this one anyway after looking it up, seems to have a very un-Toyota like descent and pretty average numbers. Seems the public have a modicum more sense than I'd thought they would (around 40% retained after 4 yrs 100K based on private sale and assuming sticker paid which isn't likely, nothing special anyway)
Old 19-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #35
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
They can't have torque steered THAT bad considering they've only got 400NM of torque, I've got 340nm in the Focus and it hardly does.

Unless because it comes on that hard, but look at things like the Focus RS or people with highly modified XR5 Turbos.
Have you ever driven a 626 Turbo or a Cordia turbo?
They had shocking torque steer and had much less than 400nm....

Never driven a TRD Aurion, but the standard version is quite bad. As so is a Kluger...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #36
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

I always thought these were comparable to the TMR 380 from Mitsubishi. Ok, if you like that sort of thing

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ah right, maybe crap suspension design up front? Do the TRD Aurions have LSD as well?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #38
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had a decent drive in one of these TRD Aurions and they truly were a nice car to drive.

If quarter miles were your thing look elsewhere, but if a comfortable and quite quick touring car was what you were looking for, the TRD Aurion more than delivered. The 800 odd km I had one for as a loan car from a toyota dealership gave me a genuine 10L/100km and honestly felt quite effortless as a daily drive.

Would I have bought one at full retail when they were new? No.

But as a used buy now? I'd sure give a low kilometre used one a good look.

They still were a quick car and the demographic that bought them new wouldnt have caned it relentlessly either..... Most people wouldnt even notice one on the street, and I wouldnt mind one bit.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #39
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These things were withdrawn from sale for a month back in 07 when one caught fire at a dealership.

Back then I used to visit a site called caradvice.com.au and there was one passionate Toyota fan who thought they were the bees knees and were superior to anything Ford or Holden had to offer. We used to be involved in a lot of flame wars over it. I think the TRD brand was killed off in 2008 due to lack of sales and the GFC.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #40
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoAU View Post
I always thought these were comparable to the TMR 380 from Mitsubishi. Ok, if you like that sort of thing
I own one of them and it's a surprisingly good package.
The build quality is outstanding.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #41
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jim Read put down 3 passes in the 14/13's at Willowbank in one of these. Best was 13.5 pretty sure.Courtesy of Llewellyn Motors.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #42
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
The problem with even the 200kw Camry is that is way too much power going through the front wheels. I have got stuck with them as hire cars because to rental weenies they are considered equivalent to a Falcodore.
Torque-steer is a *****, and at the slightest hint of dirt or water the TC kicks in.
Also, I don’t know what other improvements they might have made to the TRD, but the basic “Aurion” handles like a barge.
Having driven a standard Aurion on a daily basis several years ago as a company car I can assure you 200 kW is way too much for that chassis let alone 240 . With 200 they torque steer off the planet , I shudder to think what they are like with 240 . I think you are doing barges a huge disservice saying an Aurion handles like one mine handled like a galleon . All in all one of the truly most awful cars ever foisted on the public .
Old 20-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #43
HULK_I6T
Banned

I've driven the 200kw aurion and it was nice..

As long as you don't boot it mid corner the torque steer is nothing to worry about. Imagine booting mid corner a falcon/commodore with v8 or turbo 6, end up losing the back end for sure.

The aurion is tame torque steer wise, don't know bout the Trd

Watched a few youtube clips of the trd aurion. No slouch

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 20-10-2013 at 11:51 AM.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #44
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never had that much of an issue with torque steer with my mates SX6 Aurion or what ever they are called. It had plenty of punch for a N/A 6 and would give an N/A FG 6 cylinder a run for its money. the only issues I have with Aurion is its bland styling and handling could be a little better did do the job well. (compared to an FG Falcon XR6). In saying that I think the term handles like a bardge is a little overkill. have driven a lot worse. I really don't know why everyone mentions Torque steer with the Aurion, unless its the TRD Aurion?? It might don't know haven't driven the TRD verson. doubt I will get to either. don't think too many were made???
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #45
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #46
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
They also had a problem with a few failures after launch, can't remember if it was whole engines of just the blowers that were failing, but it was a bad look.
From memory, they reduced the rev limit from 6800rpm to 6200rpm after some early engine failures. I was assembled at a separate Prodrive factory in Melbourne.

The TRD Aurion got favourable reviews when new, most praise on the effortless power and capable brakes. They were an ok car, however the pricing placed them against the much more powerful, better looking and capable FPV/Ford and HSV/Holden rivals.

The sort of buyer that would consider a Toyota in general wasn't likely to want a blingy supercharged, big wheeled and spoilered Aurion. The same thing happened to the 180kw Railliart Magna. For the price of one of those you could have a 220kw SS or XR8.

It failed not because of its ability to handle 240kw at the front wheels, but because of its price and market conditions.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #47
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

I remember driving the first of the Honda Civics with vtec, Christ what a joke that was, foot flat to the floor and the damn thing kept trying to jerk the steering wheel out of my hands on the 1/2 gearshift (was an auto).

All the lag of a turbo without the power

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #48
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

This thread has really surprised me and opened my eyes.

I was always told that even though the general public doesn't know it, the TRD Aurion are the fastest Aussie production car ever.

My neighbour has one and he has told me many times it's because of their supercharge technology and he really does know cars.

He also has a V6 VN Commodore in mint condition (except for the crows foot and flaky paint) and says he will never sell it no matter what anyone offers for it.

He says Ford and Holden dropped the ball after it went out of production.

In fact the VN was so good Toyota begged Holden to allow them to sell them as the Lexcen and there is no way you can argue against that.

I'd put a smiley at the end of this post but it's true.

He's the reason I often find an excuse to go home early from the neighbourhood barbies.

Sometimes I feel better just drinking alone.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #49
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Id own one.

Good to see the FWD haters out again, I like it....
7 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #50
TickfordXR8

Supercharged V6, Front Wheel Drive, Say No More......
TickfordXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #51
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Way way way too much like the VF.
More like the VF looks like a camry as that thing was out long before the VF.

I reckon they looked ok (especially in white) but front wheel drive V6? No thanks.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #52
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They handle well for a big front wheel drive car and that's all but you would have to be a pussy or the wrong side of 70 years old to brag about it or just a fool.
On dirt roads it's just absolute junk no fun at all just fear.
Yes it's fast but no SS or XR 6 Turbo.
Only Auto say no more
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #53
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I remember driving the first of the Honda Civics with vtec, Christ what a joke that was, foot flat to the floor and the damn thing kept trying to jerk the steering wheel out of my hands on the 1/2 gearshift (was an auto).

All the lag of a turbo without the power

I've had a couple of early vtec Hondas and none of them torque steered badly, unless you drove them like a nut. Turbo cordia was 11ty times worse.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #54
Spinner5711

I used to get absolutely mental torque steer out of my Morris 1100S (with full race Cooper S motor), so I reckon one of these would be 'fun' (in an Elliot Goblet sort of way). I thought they were withdrawn from sale due to 'slightly' overpowering the chassis. One of these with AWD would be pretty cool, IMO.
Old 20-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #55
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner5711 View Post
I used to get absolutely mental torque steer out of my Morris 1100S (with full race Cooper S motor), so I reckon one of these would be 'fun' (in an Elliot Goblet sort of way). I thought they were withdrawn from sale due to 'slightly' overpowering the chassis. One of these with AWD would be pretty cool, IMO.

I thought it was because no one was buying them
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #56
Falcojimmy

Goes to show you can't polish a TRD.
Falcojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #57
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Bloke at work has a Trd. He too goes on and on and on about.

Got fed up one day and asked him what happened to the "U".
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #58
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Have to laugh at the shots at TRD's being cancelled because nobody was buying them when all Aus made Ford cars are being given the flick...irony.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #59
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But the reasons for their demise aren't linked or even similar. The TRD was never popular and look how the BA Turbo took off. If the TRD car went under for the same reasons as the falcon then it would be ironic. It was just a bad idea.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #60
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Torque steer is a funny thing, with RHD it points you at the trees on the left, in the US it points you at the oncoming traffic,
I don't know what would be worse..

I love know all yap yaps at a barbecue, you either want to go home early or just get hammered,
bit of a bugga when you're the cook though...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post