Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #31
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Re: Are electric Cars that much cleaner.

This was posted elsewhere, I just realised its fits well here:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/arQ8_P..._load_policy-3

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #32
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Bit like trying to argue Climate Change for vs against, or Ford vs Holden. There are "facts" to support any discussion either way.

Regarding the argument about sourcing materials from all over the globe for EV's and the environmental impact of EV's and their components. I'm finding it difficult to find any vehicle, electric or fuel driven, that doesn't source and ship various parts/materials from all over the world to the plant. So why is that bought up as a negative for EV vehicles and their batteries alone? Where does FoA source the V8 from for the FG-X? Where does Holden get it's V8? Take it a step further, where does the raw materials come from to manufacture those engines in the US before they are shipped halfway around the world? What are the environmental credentials for these as an example?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #33
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By way of full disclosure … I am currently leasing a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Most of the time it does the run from home to work and back to home each day. Round trip through heavy Brisbane peak hour traffic is 40km. Each night it is recharged with 10kWh of power from the grid on an off-peak tariff. (Because it is off-peak, there are no related grid issues.) Over the course of the year, it will use around 2.4MWh in electricity. My house is also equipped with a relatively small 1.5kW solar PV system. Over the course of the year, it generates around 2.4MWh in electricity. So, one could raise the argument that all of the electricity used to power the PHEV is completely offset by green energy. In terms of whole of life costs, the PHEV is a lot more recyclable at end of life than a standard car. In addition to using less fossil fuels, it is a lot quieter than petrol/diesel. And it certainly reduces local pollution in the urban environment. I don’t think that PHEV are going to take over the world in the next few years, but in the longer term, the technology is promising.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0 View Post
Wanna bet?
aw yeah mate , put em up son , C`mon , C`mon , hang on i`ll just get my walkin frame .
sorry mate, but i think the devil is in the detail , i read an article on this quite a while ago , and like many things its not always what they tell you , some of it is in what they dont tell you in the glossy brochures and you find out elsewhere .
Happy to be proven wrong though, if i can find the article again , i`ll throw a link up . .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 01:39 AM   #35
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Driving an electric car is just one step away from riding a gopher.

Probably just being stubborn but I'll avoid it until it's absolutely necessary.
Old 24-06-2016, 01:41 AM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
Bit like trying to argue Climate Change for vs against, or Ford vs Holden. There are "facts" to support any discussion either way.

Regarding the argument about sourcing materials from all over the globe for EV's and the environmental impact of EV's and their components. I'm finding it difficult to find any vehicle, electric or fuel driven, that doesn't source and ship various parts/materials from all over the world to the plant. So why is that bought up as a negative for EV vehicles and their batteries alone? Where does FoA source the V8 from for the FG-X? Where does Holden get it's V8? Take it a step further, where does the raw materials come from to manufacture those engines in the US before they are shipped halfway around the world? What are the environmental credentials for these as an example?
true mate , but i wouldnt call mild steel, cast iron and aluminum hard stuff to come by , theres probably already enough recyclable scrap around the planet to keep making our cars and engines going for god knows how long .
as for ev batteries , when you compare a half ton tesla battery for one single car ........ to a 20 kg led acid battery currently in the close to 2 billion ICE cars on the planet , that is a lot of extra battery to manufacture (not counting all the extra wiring and infrastructure required ) if they where all required .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post