Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #31
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: why do you like driving an "old" car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Old cars?
60s +70's models - because they have character.
Fixed that but yeah, old is anything with character for sure. An AU doesn't, the 'e series don't either, actually nor do the X series... Hmmm anything from the 80's onwards are not old enough to have character...and I dont mean temperamental, rusty or odd driving habits character.

I like the question though!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #32
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
XF's are getting old now I guess but they still have a five speed manual & fuel injection so probably still new....ish!!!!!

But not many had both lol
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #33
nstg8a

My au to me is an old car, it's fifteen years old, and you jump from the fg into it and it feels every one of those years.
But it's getting cranky in it's old age, randomly idles weird,,occasionally fills the cabin with fuel fumes, sounds like it's got 300 hp instead of 150hp, and it's practically worthless. So il keep it for ever just about I reckon. It's like an old pair of socks that are stretched just right, but full of holes and smell funny.

I actually hate aus with a passion, except for the really nice tidy xr's, and T series, yet I keep buying the damn things. My lane is my third au lol.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #34
Chopped
as in chopped

I'd pick and thrash the Audi anyday of the week over an AU.
Old 16-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #35
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Au's are old in modern day car terms but really anything pre 1990 is classed as proper 'old car'.

I'm stuck with a very shabby EF XR6 wagon which i still love but its really gettin beyond roadworthy now...

If i get the money i will update to an AU wagon hopefully one day soon.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #36
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Because there are fewer things that can go wrong, and when things do go wrong I can fix +90% of these myself or at a reasonable cost.

And then there are the other reasons... Watching youtube clips of people swapping out heads/cams/pistons on a modular/coyote engine makes me cringe, I like milk shakes but not the gearbox type, tuning a car with a computer instead of a screw driver/wrench/timing light makes me wonder too. My diff does what it is supposed to do and turns the wheels without drama. Tyres are thankfully reasonable priced. I manage traction control using the old fashion method of either lifting or depressing the throttle. My brakes work fine, my wipers work, my headlights work and so does the steering. The 351 badges actual mean 351cid. Fits 5 people without drama and when we want fresh air we open the windows.

And I don't care that I can not get 14mpg
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #37
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Define old.....an AU Falcon ain't that old to someone of my vintage.....
If you can still buy parts for them then they ain't old........

am I right? am I right?............of course I am dammit!!!!!!!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #38
Stabswache
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Fixed that but yeah, old is anything with character for sure. An AU doesn't, the 'e series don't either, actually nor do the X series... Hmmm anything from the 80's onwards are not old enough to have character...and I dont mean temperamental, rusty or odd driving habits character.

I like the question though!

JP
So you're saying that an XY GT-HO doesn't have character? Isn't that an "X series" car? Define the "X series" please.
Stabswache is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #39
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabswache View Post
So you're saying that an XY GT-HO doesn't have character? Isn't that an "X series" car? Define the "X series" please.
In my humble opinion I think he *****d up there.....considering the "X" goes back to the 1960 XK........

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 16-06-2014 at 07:44 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #40
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I drove a leyland mini the other day...quite enjoyable. Noise, smell, ino thrills and no syncros so you had to shift like a man lol

A 10 minute drive got me hooked!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

To me 60s/70s cars are ancient, there are only a few that I would have:

1966 Ford Galaxie Fastback
1966 Chevrolet Impala Fastback
Datsun 240/260Z

If I had any of those the first thing that would disappear would be the carby and it would be getting retrofitted with central locking, power steering, A/C, a good stereo and a variant of EFI with electronic ignition.

None of this constant tuning crap with a screwdriver and replacing points in a distributor etc, EFI constantly adjusts itself depending on weather and elevation conditions etc.

Something basic like throttle body injection would do me, as long as its not fed by a carby.

I appreciate the effort that all car enthusiasts put into their cars of all types, era, shapes and sizes but 60s/70s stuff just doesn't do it for me, mate has a 1960s Compact Fairlane, and his old man has a 1970s Valliant ute, are they cool? Yes, there is a lot of effort gone into their two rides, I can respect that but not my cuppa tea.

1980s is the earliest I would go, I like a lot of 1980s Jap and Euro cars, 1990s to present time are my favourite era of cars. Love Toyota Supra TT/Nissan Skyline (GT-R editions only though).

Favourite Falcon has to be the T series, but only the series III ones with the 5.6L.

And yes an AU Falcon is old, once you start pushing 10 years that gets you in the old books for a car IMO.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-06-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #42
Stabswache
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
In my humble opinion I think he *****d up there.....considering the "X" goes back to the 1960 XK........
The exact reason I'm confused by his reply.
Old 16-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #43
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Because there are fewer things that can go wrong, and when things do go wrong I can fix +90% of these myself or at a reasonable cost.

And then there are the other reasons... Watching youtube clips of people swapping out heads/cams/pistons on a modular/coyote engine makes me cringe, I like milk shakes but not the gearbox type, tuning a car with a computer instead of a screw driver/wrench/timing light makes me wonder too. My diff does what it is supposed to do and turns the wheels without drama. Tyres are thankfully reasonable priced. I manage traction control using the old fashion method of either lifting or depressing the throttle. My brakes work fine, my wipers work, my headlights work and so does the steering. The 351 badges actual mean 351cid. Fits 5 people without drama and when we want fresh air we open the windows.

And I don't care that I can not get 14mpg
You said that well, many of the advantages of old cars, I do agree with you, I think many of the New cars have so much electronic crap on them that just isn't nessicary. They got to a point where stuff was good, with abs brakes, electronic fuel injection etc. But then they went too far and added so much stuff you don't need, such as all the sophisticated electrics that all crap out soon enough
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #44
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Currently I have use of a few different types of vehicles..

Amongst them I have a AU falcon and a brand new 2014 Audi A4 turbo Quattro s-line.

Driving the Audi, its smooth, reasonably quick, packed with technology, handles beautifully, luxurious, great media centre/stereo, looks killer..

But I enjoy driving the AU falcon just about as much. Sure its slower, looks nowhere near as good, handles nowhere near as good, less comfortable etc etc..

But with the Audi, theres just nothing to do with it, nothing to buy for it, no reason to open the hood. Its a car to just drive.

With the AU, theres always the thought of how to improve it a little, what you could buy, things you can try, do your own servicing and a community (such as fordforums) that really is passionate about these cars. Its way more customisable. All those things make for an enjoyable drive, its sort of like you contribute to the quality of the drive moreso than just steering the car.

Where the audi, your just a passenger and you have little other input.Its like that with most new cars, just drive them, very easy, minimal input required.

Why do you like driving an "older" car?
Interesting topic Hulkster.

I like a my cars to have a certain feel. That feel is a balance between mongrel and refinement.

Modern cars beyond a certain year have lost mongrel.
In a nutshell, they're too refined for me.

Old cars before a certain year have loads of mongrel, but aren't refined enough.

For myself, the nicest blend of mongrel and refinement happens to be the AU Falcon, which aren't really that old yet, IMO.
Although maybe I'm kidding myself as the first AU is already 16 years old...

Others are looking for different things I guess, and yet others still simply want the latest and greatest.
5 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #45
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

1966 Ford Galaxie Fastback
1966 Chevrolet Impala Fastback
Datsun 240/260Z.
On your likes I had the 66' Impala fastback with a 327ci and a 2 speed auto, I quickly replaced the 2 speed with a Muncie 4 speed and things got better.....for a while.....then people started tricking the 2 speeds and I was getting flogged....so the 2 speed got a bit of attention and the lump started flying again......loved that car.....

Old 16-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #46
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Keep posting Hulk. I don't mind general car related discussions on a Ford forum.

To answer your question, because people appreciate a nice looking older EF Ghia that is obviously well cared for in a sea of late model cars that only look nice because they are new. There is something much cooler about driving an older car and not having to keep up with the Joneses. Nearly every day I have a late model Falcon slowing down alongside to have a look at her. That's satisfaction to a car guy!

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #47
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

I've been driving my 64 f100 as a daily lately, no heater, no radio, no air, no steer, no disc brakes, nothing. Being a diesel I can actually turn the ignition of while driving and the only thing it stops is the blinkers lol.
I jump in the new jeep Grand Cherokee and it feels like you've jumped 50 years ahead in time (funny that) it is nice having everything in a car you can these days, and on a drive any longer than 100ks or so I won't drive anything else but you can't beat the character of old rigs.

I love au's, but a truly old car in my book is a classic, au falcons are not a classic.
Old 16-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #48
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt View Post

I love au's, but a truly old car in my book is a classic, au falcons are not a classic.
To true, they haven't even got through the boonga stage yet....

2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #49
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I also don't mind Hulks topics, at the least they are always good for a laugh.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #50
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All you guys are way too modern.
I love my cart, it is 2 horse power. Petrol is expensive but horses are cheap to feed when you have a large paddock. No pollution to speak of unless the horses have wind. Everything else is biodegradable.

No electronics at all, most of the body work can be fixed with a hammer and a nail. The ride is bumpy but you sit up high like you do in the SUV's for good vision of the traffic in front.

It just keeps up with Sydney peak hour traffic but it sucks finding parking now when you go to the shopping centre. They have spots for disabled people, people with prams, small cars but no horse and cart parking anymore...like wtf.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
It just keeps up with Sydney peak hour traffic but it sucks finding parking now when you go to the shopping centre. They have spots for disabled people, people with prams, small cars but no horse and cart parking anymore...like wtf.
My town still has the horse drinking troughs from when it was built in the 1800s .
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #52
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we have a winner
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #53
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep that's what I'm saying, wouldn't know and don't care they go back so far, they don't have the character I like. And the question was asked for my personal opinion not for a collective belief.
I accept others love em! but not me.
JP
Old 16-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #54
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Interesting topic Hulkster.

I like a my cars to have a certain feel. That feel is a balance between mongrel and refinement.

Modern cars beyond a certain year have lost mongrel.
In a nutshell, they're too refined for me.

Old cars before a certain year have loads of mongrel, but aren't refined enough.

For myself, the nicest blend of mongrel and refinement happens to be the AU Falcon, which aren't really that old yet, IMO.
Although maybe I'm kidding myself as the first AU is already 16 years old...

Others are looking for different things I guess, and yet others still simply want the latest and greatest.
I think you have nailed it..
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #55
Stabswache
Banned

Quote:
Yep that's what I'm saying, wouldn't know and don't care they go back so far, they don't have the character I like. And the question was asked for my personal opinion not for a collective belief.
I accept others love em! but not me.
JP
Since you confess to know so little about the history of Australian Fords, I'm going to go ahead and ignore your worthless opinion.
Old 16-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #56
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Since you confess to know so little about the history of Australian Fords, I'm going to go ahead and ignore your worthless opinion.
So much hate for so no reason. I don't like them, never have so never spent any time thinking about them, doesn't make me worthless just different to you. Im sure I know stuff you might not, I don't think you worthless, and was certainly never trying to convince you of my opinion just offering it cause the opportunity was offered. Oh and welcome to AFF, where your face is smashed in for having a different opinion!. Nice one champ
Jesus so much hate inside how do you live like that? Unbelievable!

JP
4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #57
05_ENFORCER

Thought better of it..........excuse me

Last edited by 05_ENFORCER; 16-06-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Deleted response to the nazi
05_ENFORCER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #58
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Back on topic... I drive old cars because I'm totally pov.
Old 16-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #59
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
So much hate for so no reason. I don't like them, never have so never spent any time thinking about them, doesn't make me worthless just different to you. Im sure I know stuff you might not, I don't think you worthless, and was certainly never trying to convince you of my opinion just offering it cause the opportunity was offered. Oh and welcome to AFF, where your face is smashed in for having a different opinion!. Nice one champ
Jesus so much hate inside how do you live like that? Unbelievable!

JP
At least he liked my contribution to the discussion, so he can't be that bad !
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #60
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Older the car, more stories it has to tell. Plus most of the classics look better. Some of them are Art on wheels. Maybe its just a subconscious connection I have with them. Like the old saying..

Went to the Drive-In with dad, came home with mum.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: