Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
Steffo
LPG > You

Hmm... 230kg weight gain.

So lets assume for a moment the LS2 will not gain any power in the transition from VZ to VE...

HSV Clubsport = 297kW 530Nm, 1696kg... 175.11kW/tonne and 312.5Nm/tonne

New improved heavy Clubsport = 297kW 530Nm, 1926kg... 154.2kW/tonne and 275.18Nm/tonne

BF FPV GT Auto = 290kW 520Nm, 1855kg... 156.33kW/tonne and 280.32Nm/tonne

I'm thinking Holden/HSV are about to lose their acceleration advantage over the Ford/FPV V8's (they never beat the turbo sixes anyway).
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
xr8gn3

I guess I'll be the first to say it but it looks a helluva lot like a BA.

xr8gn3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesnt look too all new. A bit BA.

230kg woohoo there goes any displacement on demand ecomomy benefits. I wonder how well the brakes will be improved to cope? Base 6 economy may suffer the most?

Will there be a BF 2 with a bit more equiptment and 6 Auto on more models?
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
Will there be a BF 2 with a bit more equiptment and 6 Auto on more models?
No as the ZF six speed is too expensive to fit to all models. The 4 speed auto will disappear in 2008 and the new box will have an extra cog.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
No as the ZF six speed is too expensive to fit to all models. The 4 speed auto will disappear in 2008 and the new box will have an extra cog.

FF
If Commodore gets 6 Auto though Ford will have to compete. I think given there is already a slightly lower spec developed for the NA 6 it would a)not have been worth developing this just for Fairmont Ghia 190 b) An all new box would be more to develop than using the one already developed even if it were just a 5 speed.

I dont think it will be std on XT but it will work its way down from the Ghia soon even as an option its just a question of if they will do it before the next Falcon.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
Falcon Freak
Banned

Say what you like but they are the facts (as they currently stand).

FF

Last edited by Falcon Freak; 12-01-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

The over all styling hasn't change that much from the VZ, it looks like the square edges have been round off. But will have to wait & see when the final product is released to see just how good this range of cars before passing judement.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:21 AM   #8
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That hoop roof is very AU/BA (and that was one the things really criticised about au at first). And thers somethign wierd about the rar door cutout nhape. have to see it undisguised. The bottom suill looks strange too onteh one without side skirts.
IS that single shut doors, on a commodore, finally?

Looks like a VZ had it off witha AU somewhere.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
That hoop roof is very AU/BA (and that was one the things really criticised about au at first).
I agree with other writers have said that while the AU shape was a radical at the time, if it were released today it would hardly raise an eyebrow. That general shape is mainstream now.

Some have argued that Ford should have released something like a BA shape first, then followed it up with something like the AU.

The high, sloping roof has been adopted by many, if not most, new releases of the past few years. Certain Mercedes Benz models now have a back end that looks more than a little bit similar to the AU.

Ford stuffed up big time with the AU Forte, and its toothy grille and ridiculous wheel covers. Unfortunately, when you mention AU, that's the model that immediately comes to mind to non Fordies, and motoring journalists in particular. The rest of the car is not so notable these days because industry styling trends have generally gone in that direction.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Valknutr

Im sorry but i dont like it sits to high for me and the front part looks really compact.
Plus all these comments about it taking stylings from the BA, ford and holden have been looking more and more like twins over the past few years its not funny and its annoying me. :jab:
Old 12-01-2006, 11:20 PM   #11
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Some have argued that Ford should have released something like a BA shape first, then followed it up with something like the AU.
I agree with much of what you have said. ie
The shape now 'fits in',
Rear of the new CLS Mercedes is a dead ringer (even at up to $250k)
The progression styling wise from EF to BA to AU would have made much more sense.

Anyway back to VE, it's potentially quite a good looking car. Hasn't strayed too far from the successful VT based cars and adopted many of the quality design cues of the BF too.

Of concern to Holden and delight to me is the prospect of up to 230kg weight increase. I wonder how they will hide the true weight this time? Remembering that Holden were bagging Ford to the media about bringing in a heavier car, whilst understating by up to 50kg on some models their own by not including fluids or the aircon which isn't standard in executive (Motor did a weighbridge comparison) whilst Ford were in fact overstating by up to 20kg.

It's obvious though that they have had to engineer some actual refinement (like a BF) and increase the weight in the front end etc (Motor and Wheels both acknowledge the VZ is at least a generation behind in this regard.)

The base model won't increase this much as they will be adopting the basic rear end which will be about 20kg lighter and won't have as many of the electrics either. So a 175-200kg increase is on the cards. They'll need the 5spd auto standard. No choice at 1750kgs/340Nm.

At present the Ford is about 104kg to 150kg heavier. So it looks like at this stage the Falcon will have a handy 80-100kg advantage. This is without alloy motors too.

Looked on the web and found some information on the modular motors.
This was off the Mustang and Fords site
4.6 and 5.4 Weights
4.6 SOHC 500 lbs (227kg)
4.6 DOHC 425 lbs (aluminium block) (193kg)
5.4 SOHC 525 lbs (239kg)
5.4 DOHC 540 lbs (245kg)
NB unsure if this is with or without ancillaries.

ie difference between SOHC/DOHC 5.4L is the 4v heads add 15lb.
Therefore it's clear that there is at least a 90lb reduction available. ie 41kg.

The tables could well and truly be turned!!! Please Ford give us an alloy block boss motor and barra motor too!
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 03:52 AM   #12
-jjM-
Banned

personla ewww, not because of the ghey patern or nthing i can see past that

i recon looks ugly, n not say that cause i hate holdens, just ew
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #13
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That front shot of the Executive reminds me of the Viva...

Oops, I meant this one 4: :

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The bonnet is BA as well as the headlights. Look at where the grille is and you can see the exact same sheet metal as BA. Also, the exec stands a little high, considering it has 17's on it. Should sell though, as there are enough holden die hards who would want the newer and albeit better looking car. What will be interesting to watch will be the fleeters especially now that the car is in its first phase and won't be heavily discounted as Holden try to recoup some of their R&D costs.

Quote: