Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #31
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Idling a car?? Whats everyones methods??

I usually just idle it until the temp gauge begins to move then take it easy until its at operating temp
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Haha during winter it gets into the low negatives here overnight, or you'll go out at around 10pm and the roof of the house and the cars are starting to ice over. In the morning the whole thing is iced over, just start it, heater on full, head lights on let it idle for 10-15 minutes and it'll melt the ice on the windscreen and lights, just go back in and watch more TV.

Its even worse on top of Mt Macedon let alone near it like I am lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #33
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In summer I normally start it a few minutes before I go anywhere just to let it cool down and on a bitterly cold morning I do the same to get the heater going so the car is nice and warm when I get in. I don't worry about glazed bores or any of that, the car will be replaced long before that becomes a problem (if it even would).
Old 28-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #34
BHDOGS
Banned

I start my eb up wait for the belt to stop squealing and slipping then thrash the **** out of it 22 years still going strong.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #35
AAXR8

Thumbs up Re: idling and Does anyone Cool there V8 Motors down??

Thanks everyone for your methods!!! It seems its still like the conversation with my neighbour 50/50 just about!! What Iv noticed with my BA XR8 is I have a custom made exhaust by previous owner ( still Road Worthy ) but its a pretty load exhaust system & I prime it till I hear the pump stop (2 seconds) then start it & it does not rev over 1000rpm but its load & shakes the house some times depends on what the areas doing for noise because I live in the country. And mine seems to take 2 minutes to be at about 750rpm and the noise drops in half then I'm gone and I don't have any problems with the feel of a cold engine> But seeing this car is a new car to me, I think I have owned the BOSS for 7 months I can not believe the motor!!! There FAST!!!!

So the next question is with a V8 engine does any one let them COOL down?? I know turbo motors you have to but I never have prior but after having a bit of Fun with this one Iv been giving it 10 seconds but if the fan comes straight on Maybe until the fan turns off!!

ANY ONE COOL THERE MOTORS DOWN FOR LONGER THEN A MINUTE???
THANKS EVERYONE FOR POSTING THERE METHODS!!!!!!
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #36
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you don't have to always cool turbo engines down and you certainly don't have to cool down V8's either.
also the best way to warm a modern car up is to drive it.
I never warm a car engine up by idling, start it and away you go. As stated by someone already the warming up myth comes from old carby cars where they were often temperamental while cold but modern fuel injection etc overcomes this.

Cars are not that fragile that they need this warm up/cool down nonsense
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #37
AAXR8

But XXXooo What sort car do you drive??
I Have heard about the new car fuel injec etc & they say you can drive straight away but I still think that with the sound of my oil pump circulating it through the motor for 30 secunds & the drop in idle after two minutes thats my method. But I have a performance tune so I guess thats just me making sure it drives perfect from word go after listening to the car for a while because getting it fixed can be a huge price! I had a Au that was warmed up for 3 minutes that hit about 370,000 & still going strong but just a 6 on GAS not an 8 on petrol! My main question was if a car sits for over 10mins just idling is it ok or will it cause damage?
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

Old 29-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #38
turbojosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Unfortunately you're not looking after it by doing that.
Idling an engine to warm up is worse than driving off cold.

Correct.

There is no compelling reason to warm up a modern car engine by stationary idling.

We used to idle our engines because they wouldn't run well with carburettors when cold.
Modern engines are ready to drive immediately, and better for it.

Engines warm up much faster when driving than idling.
Not only that, the rest of the drive train, transmission, diff, tyres, also warm up at the same time.

Idling an engine to warm up is not only totally unnecessary, but wasteful of fuel.
Sorry I'll have to disagree with you on that. Within my family our cars have reached a combined km count of well over 1 million and these cars are warmed up for no less than 5 minutes per day and see *touchwood* absolutely no problems. Especially with my car as well being turbo I let it warm up for 5-10 mins and then cool off for 2-3 minutes...
turbojosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #39
red_hotxr6
Banned

Maybe a minute or two then drive it granny like till everything is warmed up and lubricated..lol
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #40
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojosh View Post
Sorry I'll have to disagree with you on that. Within my family our cars have reached a combined km count of well over 1 million and these cars are warmed up for no less than 5 minutes per day and see *touchwood* absolutely no problems. Especially with my car as well being turbo I let it warm up for 5-10 mins and then cool off for 2-3 minutes...
No apology required, you entitled to disagree.
However, you're wasting your time and money by warming up the engine whilst idling. It's simply not necessary.

This is not an opinion, rather a fact.

Most (perhaps all) car manufacturers recommend driving a car immediately after start up as it warms the engine faster than idling.

Modern EFI engines with efficient oil pumps and low viscosity oils are better off when driven immediately.
Old 29-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #41
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
I don't care what the car is or how modern it is... I'll warm anything up for minimum 5 minutes no matter how hot/cold the weather is. You look after your car, it'll look after you.
Glazed bores is looking after your car?

I idle long enough to get oil pressure, so about 10 seconds.
Drive gently until water temp is raised.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #42
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Surely this would vary with the ambient temperature and the manner in which the vehicle was driven
Yes. I was only giving the recommended average for total engine warm up, which includes driveline and heat soak to engine block, crankshaft, etc.

Other things to note about warm up; just because the cooling system temperature gauge shows a warm engine, it does not mean that the entire engine is up to operating temperature. And what's the point of having a warm engine if everything else is cold - gearbox, differential, bearings, etc.

There are more cons than pros to idling engines.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/effici...on/idling/4423
Quote:
To assess the impact of vehicle warm-up, Environment Canada conducted a test program using a cold chamber and three vehicles. Each vehicle was cooled to -18°C and driven over a simulated urban driving cycle. The test procedure was performed using a 5-minute warm-up before driving the simulation urban cycle and repeated using a 10-minute warm-up before driving the simulated urban cycle.

The test results showed that with a 5-minute warm-up total fuel consumption increased by 7 to 14 percent and with a 10-minute warm-up total fuel consumption increased by 12 to 19 percent6. This also leads to a similar increase in carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, as they are an unavoidable by-product of burning fossil fuels.

Contrary to popular belief, excessive idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to warm it up is to drive it. In fact, with today's computer-controlled engines, even on cold winter days, usually no more than two to three minutes of idling is enough warm-up time needed for the average vehicle before starting to drive – but make sure that windows are free from snow and properly defrosted before driving away!

Please consult your owner's manual or your vehicle service advisor if you would like a recommendation specific to your vehicle or climatic conditions.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...php?f=4&t=9362
Quote:
F1 engines ARE warmed up on a computer program

Generally the engines revs will be raised/lowered, and blipped to put load into the engine, as well as keep the alternator charging, as its designed to work for longer periods at much higher RPMs.

A lot of the mild blipping ( and what sounds like a spark cutting out) is the gearbox being cycled up and down through the gears, to get that up to temperature. In our cars we used to drag the brake pedal a little, to load up the drivetrain. The techs may also check the pit limiter function etc, and other things I can only imagine!

While at idle & elevated RPM, a dipstick reading will be taken of the engine oil tank, and any oil added if required. The water header tank will also be checked and purged if required.

Generally temperatures will be taken just above operating temperature prior to shutdown, to allow heatsoak into the radiators, for when the cars are fired up in anger.
http://www.idlefreevt.org/how-long-s...icle-idle.html
Quote:
HOW LONG SHOULD A VEHICLE WARM UP AT A STANDSTILL?

LIGHT-DUTY GASOLINE & DIESEL (car, SUV, pickup): The overall recommendation is 30 seconds (check your owners manual for any specific recommendations; many manuals recommend avoiding long warm-ups or no warm-ups at all, such as stated in the 2013 BMW 3 Series manual).

• Above freezing temperatures: typically no need to warm-up at standstill; the best way to warm up is to drive the vehicle at a moderate pace.

• Below freezing but above 0 degrees Fahrenheit: up to 30 seconds[1] to allow for complete circulation of engine oil[2]. Warm-up time is also determined by the effectiveness of defrosting - do not drive if you can't see clearly out of the windshield. Again, driving the car (slowly to moderately) is the best way to warm up in this range. Note that wheel bearings, steering, suspension, transmission, catalytic converter, and tires also need warming up. The only way to do that is to drive the vehicle.

• Below 0 degrees: in this range, idling the engine for a period of 1 to 3 minutes can become necessary, allowing thickened engine oil to adequately circulate throughout the engine, and for the likely increased time needed for defrosting/deicing. More than three minutes even in these conditions is considered excessive.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk

Last edited by johnydep; 29-05-2014 at 09:00 AM.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #43
turbojosh

Mmm I'm sure there's fact behind why you should/shouldn't but I guess like I said, our cars have always been warmed up before driving, and they've all lasted well over 250,000 and even an au ute went nearly 500,000 with no problems... old habits die hard but for us, warming cars up hasn't created any problems...
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #44
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Mmm I'm sure there's fact behind why you should/shouldn't but I guess like I said, our cars have always been warmed up before driving, and they've all lasted well over 250,000 and even an au ute went nearly 500,000 with no problems... old habits die hard but for us, warming cars up hasn't created any problems...
Engine technology has been good over the past 20 odd years, it's rare to see one die completely. However, as mentioned "an average owner would not notice - valve train wear causing slight performance/economy drop, and slight oil consumption at idle and down hill runs."

Put two identical engines that have been cared for in different ways on a dyno, and you'll see the difference. Take them for an interstate trip and compare the fuel and oil consumption.

Why is it that one Falcon/Territory owner will rave about fuel/power and the other will cry? Both with similar driving habits.

The wear we're discussing isn't the type that will show up overnight or in a year. It's the minute wear that is so gradual that the owner/driver does not notice, the type that becomes 'normal wear & tear'. People miss it because it is hidden, or not noticed - slight oil consumption, hidden by the fuel dilution of the oil. Fuel economy slightly different, must be the petrol. Power feels down a bit, time for a tune/oil change/different fuel.

I see the difference every day.

Everyone has their own view on this, if what you're doing works for you keep doing it.

Old 29-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #45
turbojosh

I'll agree with you on the oil consumption... my laser has started to consume small amounts in between oil changes... but economy wise it's a freak... took us from Sydney to brisbane and then about another 100 kms on top for one tank of fuel... so got about 950 kms out of the tank... so consumption definitely isn't changed
Old 29-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

The only instruction in my owners manual is "Only drive at high speeds once the engine has warmed up"
Old 29-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #47
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I warm the ED turbo warm up for a couple of minutes...Mainly to get a bit of blood flowing through the turbo.

FG...good to go. Warm up for as long as it takes to pick a song!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #48
NEEDspeed

I'm sure this information is all well and good for modern engines with low engineering tolerances and thinner oils, but what about those with more exotic materials and higher viscosity/more loose specifications?

My engine runs low skirt profile pistons and a larger piston/bore clearance. Added to that straight 50w racing mineral oil with head pressure galleries opened up slightly to accommodate this fact. I'll let the fuel pump prime, then wind her until ignition while monitoring the rising rate of oil pressure via a mechanical gauge. Then I walk away for at least 2 minutes, or blip the throttle a few times if I'm ready to go again monitoring the oil, making sure its to its usual cold pressure and that it rises and falls with engine rev.
I never drive off in it until I see a rise in coolant temp or a fall in the oil pressure.

Concerning my Fiesta on the other hand, it gets 40sec of idle then its go time.

Blueprint 2003 XR6. Forged internals 10.8cr engine.
NEEDspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #49
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

My neighbours would shoot me if I sat in the garage every morning for 5-10 mins at 4am idling my car. haha
I turn it on, wait for it to stop rattling around (getting oil pressure) then drive off.
Driving reasonably easy for around 10 mins.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #50
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I drive off steady in my EcoLPI Ute and it's up to temperature inside 2 to 3 minutes.
Modern emission control engines warm a lot faster than golden oldies.
I suspect you would find at 2 or 3 minutes tempreture would not be consistent right through the whole engine, but these modern engines with a fair bit of alloy in them would be much better off than something like a full cast iron clevo that could take upwards of 10 minutes to get uniform heat right through the block.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #51
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If in doubt look at the spec of the engine oil you use, You'll find its designed to work from Cold.

Glazing bores on idle, Ive seen the damage on Old Trucks (used as yard trucks) where they get smokey. but a good run used to rectify that.

For a Modern car Id say not an issue
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #52
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote mk3 View Post
My neighbours would shoot me if I sat in the garage every morning for 5-10 mins at 4am idling my car. haha
I turn it on, wait for it to stop rattling around (getting oil pressure) then drive off.
Driving reasonably easy for around 10 mins.
HA, I used to have an old not so nice condition RX3 stage 2 12a
with 5 am starts I used to get it out of the drive asap, and baby it down the road before it actually responded properly.
This thing probably needed warm up time, I didn't keep it for long..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #53
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

- Insert key
- Start car
- Leave idle for 10-15 sec to get oil going through turbo
- Go.
Old 29-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #54
AAXR8

Thumbs up Re: Idling a car?? Whats everyones methods??

I would have to agree with Turbo Josh! Like he said old habits die hard and every car I have had I have warmed up for 3 minutes V8's 6's. And one car I had was a car just to get me to work & I never had time to warm it up so I just jumped in it started it and drove after 10 sec's and That CAR was in worst shape after I was finished with it, now I look back on them all!
<h3 style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" align="left">Cylinder bore glazing results from prolonged light load running, particularly during the running-in process, and leads to the formation of a surface coating or skin derived from chemicals present in the oil and fuel. If glazed cylinder bores are examined, it is not unusual to see the honed crosshatch markings beneath a super-smooth, highly polished, varnish-like layer. Bore glazing occurs at low speed and light load operations, particularly resulting from blow-by in new engines. Exhaust gases passing piston rings in newly built or re-built bores can react with oil and wear products, forming a golden-coloured varnish glaze.

With everyone saying be carefull that you get glazed bores! This came from a Car manufacture and Glazed bores sound like thats only something you have to worry about when your running in a motor or a new Bore for a rebuilt motor!
Also every car I warm never blows smoke from burning oil so I think a 3 minute warm up really does no harm just personal choice!!

Good on everyone for explaining there methods with there cars.

How long would a diff take to warm up????

</h3>
!!
247 RWKW

Old 29-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #55
AAXR8

I kept looking in to Glazed Bores and please correct ME ANYONE!!! But the main engines that were to get GLAZED BORES are diesel engines & they don't do damage!! after a good drive & a little bit of smoke & there good!!
And when you think about it Truck motors are always idling for long periods of time! Thats the main info any way!! but we are talking about Fords cars & utes.
!!
247 RWKW

Old 29-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #56
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Less than 30 seconds idle time is required, any longer is just a waste of your time and money.

Stop fooling yourself.
Old 29-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #57
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Less than 30 seconds idle time is required, any longer is just a waste of your time and money.

Stop fooling yourself.
Old 29-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #58
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAXR8 View Post
I kept looking in to Glazed Bores and please correct ME ANYONE!!! But the main engines that were to get GLAZED BORES are diesel engines & they don't do damage!! after a good drive & a little bit of smoke & there good!!
And when you think about it Truck motors are always idling for long periods of time! Thats the main info any way!! but we are talking about Fords cars & utes.
I've seen petrol motors with glazed bores. Not so much of a problem these days; engine material and lubricants are better, and people drive their cars differently. Everyone's a hoon

Not many people are aware that "running in a motor" takes longer than just bedding in the piston rings. Yes the initial running in is very important, but the process continues for many kilometres.

It's different for each engine type. I remember when I first got the Territory, it was mentioned on this forum that the motor will feel freer at 15,000 and 30,000 km. I didn't believe it but at about those kilometres I did feel a difference and the fuel economy improved.

So maybe for a second hand car, idle warm up doesn't matter. However, for a new car - you're mad if you idle it longer than a few minutes each cold start.

3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #59
335POWER
formerly Troy23

I let mine warm up for 2-3 minutes then take it easy until properly warmed up. I know when I've gone too early when I go from park to reverse and it clunks in rather than goes in smoothly.

Mods: Pacemaker competition headers, hi flow cat, x-force cat back exhaust, K&N air filter, Kings SSSL springs, Herrod CAI, Powerbond under drive, XR6T injectors[B]
335POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #60
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

If mine goes into reverse first time smoothly at any time I assume there is something wrong! lol
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: