Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2006, 07:18 PM   #31
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as it keeps the current Toyota employees employed and they keep their export markets.

As long as it doesnt erode Ford and GMH market share.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #32
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i wont buy it, toyota made the cressida, i have never forgiven them for that
Old 09-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #33
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

The marketing that was mentioned earlier is actually pretty clever. They were telling us all along what the driveline was "a new direction in aussie sixes". FWD engines dont face north and south do they? Pretty clever I thought.

They are matching the power figures of commo/falcons, with a 3.5ltr engine. Not a bad effort and like others - I 'might' consider owning one, but I HATE fwd based cars. It feels all wrong!!

So I wont touch it...
Old 09-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #34
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

looks nice - would not go quick enuff for me though...no rwd no buy...but looks wise i think it looks tough
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #35
nb_351
building the xe...

that still has camry influence in it, not including the centre... looks better than the current offerings though...
the 3.5 would have as much torque as a cat though, you would have to use the top half of the rev range to get any excitement out of it... the vvti is like commodore power delivery... very flat and boring..
vvtli though is a different story...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #36
JG3282
Awake after dark

I saw it in the flesh and yes folks it is still a friggin camry

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #37
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
You have to steer a Falc/Commo to change lanes, you just plant your foot down in these things.
LMFAO, that's funny....
Looks like a riced up Camry to me. I love the line "brute force wasn't going to do anymore." In other words, less torque, same weight and the usual Toyota "any interior colour you want as long as it's either brown/beige or grey". They might finally put 16 inch wheels on something other than Landcruiser's and Prado's, (sorry Prado has 17's now)....

Aurion = A Lion?
Aurion = Orion?
Aurion = Bad Manga Character?
Aurion = Wild party time at the bowling club! (break out the bridge sets)

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #38
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me the Aurion is definetly a car to consider when I update my wife's family car. It has the looks, enough power, economical and should be reliable being a Toyota....

I like it a lot (as a family car)

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #39
turboute
turboute

Pity when you sell it you probably will get less than you would have if you had initially spent the same amount on a Commy / Falcon to begin with
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 08:21 PM   #40
Paxton
Cobblers!

Just answer me this, is the Avaion any bigger than the Camry, or is it like the old Vienta name, where it is the V6 car. From what you guys are saying, it is just a V6 Camry.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #41
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I am tempted to call Toyota, or at least write to them, and ask them what their obsession with FWD is. And then I will phone Mitsubishi and ask them the same thing.

Hopefully someone in their marketing dept will be able to enlighten us.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #42
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I am tempted to call Toyota, or at least write to them, and ask them what their obsession with FWD is. And then I will phone Mitsubishi and ask them the same thing.

isn't it cheaper to produce than a RWD?
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #43
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Well i think toyota and mitsu are going to be stuck in their FWD rut.

RWD is seen as low 'tech' and these makers arent going to 'demean' themselves by introducing RWD locally after dropping it fifteen years (yet the JDM Toyota Crown is still RWD, go figure.

And i dont think any of the makers are willing to attempt AWD again after seeing the disaster Mitsubishi had with Quadtec (nothing wrong with it physically) and the Holden Crosstrak debacle.

So if you a want RWD keep buying Falcon, maybe the other 2 manufacturers will finally get the picture.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #44
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
What I don't get is how did this "change the way we see the Aussie Six"??? I mean they did this big advertising campaign then release a car with the same power as a falcon/commodore....whats the difference we should all be seeing??!!
Notice how they write, "over 190kW of power".
I suspect "over" doesn't meant 191kW - it's probably making a little jab at the Falcon (which has a very respectable amount of power).

I'm guessing that they will bring a new level of sophistication and refinement into large cars. BF is pretty good, but wind noise lets the game down and the interior lacks class, especially when you move towards the high end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I like the styling, Toyota claim market research kept going back to power, it should also have gone back to RWD, they still don't get it.
It wouldn't surprise me if their market research said RWD/FWD was no issue.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #45
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I like it, the styling is very nice, let's see how it goes.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #46
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Looks ok but will have to wait & see one in the flesh before making up my mine.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #47
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Still looks way too slab sided for my liking. I do like the front and rear treatment however.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #48
bobski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter

I believe its cheaper and easier to produce.

They will still sell plenty of these I reckon. The avalon was a flop, but it was also very similar to a camry (boring). While they sell plenty of camrys, the avalon name plate never took off. IMO FWD only matters to car enthused blokes, most women and old people don't even know what wheels drive what or if they do, they don't care.

We have a 2005 camry altese V6 company car and its dogs*** boring to drive. But other than that, its the sort of car that if you wanted to pay 26-28k and get some reliable, roomy and quiet transport, you couldn't go past it. So there's a market for this, and Toyota are making room by not producing V6 Camrys in Australia anymore, which is a shame, because the V6 we don't get is supposed to be a cracker.

Our camry also uses about 9 litres of fuel per 100ks too, which is a good selling point in this petrol sensitive market. So if they can reproduce that with the Aurion, fleet and the budget sensitive will lap it up.

But, I reckon it will depend on the entry price too. 380s mistake is its high price. Now they are going to have to discount and that will kill the resale of already bought cars.
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #49
aimzes
...fairly odd

when i saw the colour with those headlights and bonnet i thought falcon.

its a nice looking car front and back.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #50
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Notice how they write, "over 190kW of power".
I suspect "over" doesn't meant 191kW - it's probably making a little jab at the Falcon (which has a very respectable amount of power).
Well if Toyota wants to get smart then the BF really produces 240kw dosn't it _2: Still don't see how 190kw+ is going to go through the front wheels?

Quote:
I'm guessing that they will bring a new level of sophistication and refinement into large cars.
This is where they beat the locals - in terms of reliability and quality. Then again I wonder what price point they are aiming at?

Quote:
BF is pretty good, but wind noise lets the game down and the interior lacks class, especially when you move towards the high end.
Personally I love the BA/BF interior, wouldn't really change anything about it. Wind noise - I have never noticed this in any BA I have driven, then again I never get the unending quest to lower NVH - I like noisy performance cars.

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if their market research said RWD/FWD was no issue.
Same line Mitsubishi have towed for ever, now they are going under...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #51
Ringo
I see you....

Say good bye to Mits manufacturing in Aus.

When people have a choice of vehicle the 380 is going to be at the bottom of the list
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 03:32 PM   #52
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Toyota have learnt their lesson re: hobbling their local arm with old out-of-date and boring designs. Mitsu may be about to learn theirs....

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 10-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #53
bobski

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Personally I love the BA/BF interior, wouldn't really change anything about it. Wind noise - I have never noticed this in any BA I have driven, then again I never get the unending quest to lower NVH - I like noisy performance cars.
Probably cause the BA has some rattles and road roar and the BF doesn't :P

But the point is well made, once your car is as quiet as some of the premium models from other brands, you need to then improve your quality of your other components so they don't stand out in the silence.

I don't mind the BA interior. Some of the plastics are a bit harsh, but until you've sat in a 380, you don't realise how bad it could be
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #54
Bossxr8
Peter Car

As basically its a Camry V6 with a slightly different look at the front, and they no longer are going to sell a Camry V6, what you are looking at is basically the Camry V6 with a new name. Its no bigger than Camry like the Avalon was. And I guess the Camry 4 cylinder will be a medium car and the Aurion will be a large car even though they are nearly the same. I only see it taking sales from people who would otherwise buy a Camry V6 or 380. Sports model looks ok at the front, but with the usual 4WD ride height and small wheels that Toyota love it will look crap once its on the road. Try again Toyota. Its better than Avalon but still can't compete with Falcon or Crappadore.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #55
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

After seeing the revealed car from the Melbourne show. Yawn, boring. See the other thread (about the new Aussie 6) for my complete thoughts.

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 10-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #56
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Just answer me this, is the Avaion any bigger than the Camry, or is it like the old Vienta name, where it is the V6 car. From what you guys are saying, it is just a V6 Camry.
I went to the Motor show today & can tell you its more in competing with the 380, Honda Accord & Maxima. Its smaller than a Holden or Ford but the silver one looked very well finished & a big threat to the Mitisbishi 380.
They look like a Honda Accord from behind & a cross between a Mazda 6 & B series Falcon in the front.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #57
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the Aurion was sitting on the floor at the motorshow, not on a turntable, didnt have the stage lighting, or the hype music, people would have walked right past it, and not even looked... but the elements I just mentioned brought the crowds
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #58
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
As basically its a Camry V6 with a slightly different look at the front, and they no longer are going to sell a Camry V6, what you are looking at is basically the Camry V6 with a new name. Its no bigger than Camry like the Avalon was. And I guess the Camry 4 cylinder will be a medium car and the Aurion will be a large car even though they are nearly the same. I only see it taking sales from people who would otherwise buy a Camry V6 or 380. Sports model looks ok at the front, but with the usual 4WD ride height and small wheels that Toyota love it will look crap once its on the road. Try again Toyota. Its better than Avalon but still can't compete with Falcon or Crappadore.
I think you are spot on there. V6 Camry sales will reflect the true numbers this car will sell when it's released.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #59
GTFORDMAN

IMO i like it but its still no where as good the Falcon is, and being FWD i think it will severly hamper its efforts to compete with the two Big Company's.

almost but not quite Toyota.
GTFORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #60
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks good i like it BIG wheels and low supension and u got a neat looking car shame bout the front drive though.......
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post