Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #31
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good for you.....

I could type here until im blue in the face.

Tell me the operating principles of RADAR... maybe youll understand then.
Or direction finding antennas....
Or a transponder...

Your GPS unit is a transmitter/receiver.
And operates in the same way as a transponder, radar,or direction finding antenna.
A one way signal does NOT DO ANYTHING except point to the direction it comes from.
You need a return signal back to the transmitter to work out distance.

Keep searching WIKI.. im sure youll find it

And thank you to saying you were wrong when the article clearly states its cameras in space....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #32
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Good for you.....

Or a transponder...

And operates in the same way as a transponder, radar,or direction finding antenna.
A one way signal does NOT DO ANYTHING except point to the direction it comes from.

And thank you to saying you were wrong when the article clearly states its cameras in space....

I never said anything about the camera's being in space or not thank you.

GPS unit only receives a signal it doesn't send one, it calculates its position based on information it receives from multiple satellites in space/

CLICK HERE

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #33
Trendseeker

Quote:
Where does one start....
FROM THE ARTICLE....
Point to point camera DO NOT NEED SATELLITES OR GPS. If the distance between too points is known. All you need is the time it takes between the two cameras to work out the speed. This is how POINT TO POINT WORKS.
You really don't read other comments before you jump in and respond do you? I said that fixed point-to-point cameras don't require a GPS because the distance between the two points is known. Go back and re-read my comment.

The article is talking about mobile point-to-point cameras. The term "mobile" is used in the same context as mobile speed cameras, which the police set up and take down at the side of the road, as compared to the fixed cameras that are permanently mounted on poles. Mobile point-to-point cameras can be set up and taken down by police in the same way. Mobile doesn't mean the camera is used in a moving police vehicle.

Quote:
Your ignorance is bliss..... I have used GPS since 1995.
A GPS is a receiver/transmitter. Geostationary satellites interrogate the signal YOU SEND OUT and then return that signal to you. It then works out the time difference between the two signals to work out your position.

If it doesnt TALK TO EACH OTHER IT DOESNT WORK.....

You really need to read up on GPS before you embarass yourself any further by making comments that are incorrect. I gave you a reference in my earlier post but you didn't bother to read it.

1. GPS satellites are not geo-stationary.
2. There is no transmitter in the GPS in your car. It receives signals from at least 4 satellites to determine your position.

Using a GPS since 1995 doesn't mean you know how they work.

Last edited by Trendseeker; 01-05-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good for you.....

Or a transponder...

Yet again you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

GPS works on measuring the time differences between signals sent from the satellites. The satellites are constantly moving and transmit their position and a very accurate time time signal.
By comparing several signals the computer in the GPS receiver works out its position. 3 Signals are required for a 2D fix, 4 for a 3D fix although the more signals the quicker and more accurate the fix on a moving object.
The GPS is a reciever only.

It is a completely different principle to a radar transponder which replies to a low powered radar signal allowing detection at a far greater range than available from passive reflection (aka skin paint).

I did not learn this from wiki, I, like many other members here have been formally trained and certified in the operation of GPS and its use in navigation in 3 dimensional situations (aviation).

What do you actually do for a living?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #35
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've got the Goose bit right in your name

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #36
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
I never said anything about the camera's being in space or not thank you.

GPS unit only receives a signal it doesn't send one, it calculates its position based on information it receives from multiple satellites in space/

CLICK HERE
Goose got : Next time your on Goose bring your shovel so you can dig a little deeper.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #37
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Hmm, that must be very new, they were only going to put them on the Pacific, and only for trucks.
He's talking about the Safe-T-Cam (yep, for trucks) which has been scattered all over NSW for years. The one near Camden has been there for close to 10 years at a guess
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
He's talking about the Safe-T-Cam (yep, for trucks) which has been scattered all over NSW for years. The one near Camden has been there for close to 10 years at a guess
That's what I thought, but not having been to Syd for more than a year I thought they might have snuck in a new one.