Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #31
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

the only way to eliminate car crashes is to stop people from driving cars, it's an unfortunate fact that people make mistakes, often fatally.

people get tired, bored, impatient, or just have a lapse in judgement and bad things happen. sad but true.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #32
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Saw a scary one today.

Driving up to Perth in the work ute on the Southwest Highway, as I'm going through one of the small towns I spot a pilot vehicle coming towards me telling everyone to push over to the left because of the extra wide truck carrying a very large dump truck tray coming down the road.

So there's a couple of cars in front of me, then a semi. We all pull over and slow down to a crawl when some cloth eared bint in a Pajero behind me decides to not take any notice of the pilot and roar past all of us, probably wondering why everyone has slowed down and pulled over. :

At the same time the wide truck is now approaching and I was expecting the Pajero to lose it's roof with the stupid woman's head along with it.

Luckily for her (and unluckily for the rest of us) she manages to just sneak past in front of the semi.

Unbelievable stupidity!
Old 26-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #33
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8falconsrule
the only way to eliminate car crashes is to stop people from driving cars, it's an unfortunate fact that people make mistakes, often fatally.

people get tired, bored, impatient, or just have a lapse in judgement and bad things happen. sad but true.

Argh bull crap.. theres more to it then that..

Some people just like being pricks on the road... Arrogance is a killer today.. Im sick of seeing peopel cut in and out of traffic on the M1, it drives me insane that people think its safe to do this at 110 kms an hour, thats if they are actually doing the speed limit.

The roads in QLD are shocking, people just dont seem to value their lives or appreciate how dangerious a car can be, but the same people probably take drugs and drink excessively to, so life to them really isnt that important. :

I nearly got cleaned up last friday on the cunningham highway near aratula where a woman went to over take a linfox in an NC Fairlane.. She ended up going on the left side of me in the other direction probably doing 70ish by the time she got up myside... Ive never had someone go that close to me and I seriously thought it was the end for me... I even had my headlights on, and it was about 3 in the arvo, there was no reaons for her not see me... I think my next company car will be another Territory or Landcruiser V8, for the sheer fact that i dont feel safe in a Falcon and if something ever does happen due to someone elses negligence, hopefully ill survive.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #34
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I know you are talking accidents, not deaths, but I found this statistic:

Australia, along with many western countries, has worked hard to reduce deaths and injuries from motor vehicle accidents. Considerable gains have been achieved, despite increased motor vehicle use. For example, the number of annual road accident fatalities per 100,000 persons has fallen from 30.4 in 1970, to 8.8 in 2002.

I don't know the 2009 figures, but it seems to me that 9 or 10 per 100,000 is not statistically a lot. Unless, of course, you are related in some way to the actual 9 or 10!

But as I said that is deaths, not your smaller scale accident.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #35
Dezza
Parts bin special

I had a near miss tonight due to stupidity of 2 other drivers. 3 lanes that merge into 2, I was in the left lane behind an EF. It was a 70 zone and the EF was doing that speed but rather than just merge right into the nice gap available to them, they preferred to jump on the brakes and try to merge at 40. Meanwhile a Honda driver decided despite the fact I had my right indicator on that they'd try to pass me too, just as I was running out of lane. I had to come to a near stop, and nearly had to mount the gutter to avoid them. Where do these people get their licences?

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #36
sgmxr8
Red ones go faster!!!

Default Near Miss!!!

I saw a cracker this afternoon! My workplace is directly opposite a T intersection leading on to a main road in town. An L Plater doin his Ps test was goin to turn right but was hesitant as the road has dual lanes both ways. The idiot behind him in a 4WD had enough of waiting for him and pulled along side him (I was thinking he was going to go the other direction and turn at the round about down the road and come back which alot of people do) but instead he turned directly across his path from the L platers left hand side!!!! Into traffic coming both ways. Poor learner driver was stunned as was I!!!
K & N Filter - more mods to come hopefully
220kw motor + 5 spd manual = WHOA!!!
www.aufalcon.com/sgmxr8
sgmxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #37
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Argh bull crap.. theres more to it then that..

Some people just like being pricks on the road... Arrogance is a killer today.. Im sick of seeing peopel cut in and out of traffic on the M1, it drives me insane that people think its safe to do this at 110 kms an hour, thats if they are actually doing the speed limit.

The roads in QLD are shocking, people just dont seem to value their lives or appreciate how dangerious a car can be, but the same people probably take drugs and drink excessively to, so life to them really isnt that important. :

I nearly got cleaned up last friday on the cunningham highway near aratula where a woman went to over take a linfox in an NC Fairlane.. She ended up going on the left side of me in the other direction probably doing 70ish by the time she got up myside... Ive never had someone go that close to me and I seriously thought it was the end for me... I even had my headlights on, and it was about 3 in the arvo, there was no reaons for her not see me... I think my next company car will be another Territory or Landcruiser V8, for the sheer fact that i dont feel safe in a Falcon and if something ever does happen due to someone elses negligence, hopefully ill survive.
I would suggest a bright colour as well however!. I had a BA trayback ute, mercury silver (the dark silver) for 3 years, never had anyone pull out in front of me, or in any way/shape or form not see me.

First week with the T, in octane, 3 people pulled straight out in front of me. Its at these times i wish i had gone the F6 for the simple fact that it has brembos!
:
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #38
The Robot Devil
Starter Motor

And then there was the tool in a Porsche this morning on Roe Highway, weaving through traffic and overtaking in the emergency lane... or is that undertaking? I certainly thought this idiot was going to need an undertaker pretty soon... Some people deserve to wipe themselves out imo.
The Robot Devil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #39
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

what I've seen up here in the bay since driving the work KIA, is RESPECT has a lot to do with it, I get none in that thing compared to my big black V8 ute, people see the little buzz box coming and pull out whenever they like on me, I spend more time on the brakes slowing down for noneck afgan luvchilds avioding accidents then I do on the go pedal. I've also had to do a couple of trips in it back to brissy for work with the fools on the Hwy its just nail biting and fustrating, V8 and Turbo Sixes are a much safer option. Passing in an overtaking lane is the safest way until the goose you're overtaking suddenly finds the accerator and manages warp speed until the lane finishes.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #40
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

[QUOTE=flappist]a COMMODORE with a CR2 bodykit
QUOTE]

Got me there. Whats a CR2? Google had no idea.

My pet hate is people driving on dark overcast days around sunrise or sunset with lights off. Sure they don't need lights to see the road but their cars often disappear amongst the shadows and other drivers cannot see them.

The best ones are driving c[font='Calibri','sans-serif']amouflage[/font] dark grey cars or big 4x4's

I suspect the camo car drivers are oblivious to the danger and thats why they bought the camo colour in the first place.

Maybe I am cruel but I suspect the 4x4 drivers are arrogant about their steel enclosure but then again maybe they are just stupid too.

I nearly got killed by one in a dark blue SLR5000 at sunset on a blsck sky evening years ago. Both cars written off.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #41
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

i regularly drive VOLVO style with parkers on, its not just on sunset either, people dont bother to turn on their lights in the rain.

Time to rewrite the books on driver licencing, even to the point of a lic to tow a trailer,
have seen some shockers lately, including one bloke walking along carrying 6m long sheets of corrigated iron on a 6X4, yeah one end on the trailer him carrying the other and his mate driving !!!!!!!!!!!!

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #42
buts46

What I love are the news reports: A driver was injured/killed when his car hit a tree. WTF his car didn't hit the bloody tree... he did or he was put there by someone else. But it certainly wasn't his car's idea to all of a sudden to hit a tree.
buts46 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #43
fpbabe
miss torque

people forget that driving isn't a right.
most people see driving as a way to get from A to B, which is of course true. but unfortunately there's more to driving and owing a car than that -that's why licenses aren't given to 5 year olds who can only consider 1 thing at a time.
unfortuately, people seem to turn half their brain off when driving. if these people need to think about more than 1 factor, forget it. there's a space in that lane and mine's not moving - sweet - i can change lanes! never mind the fact that the car coming up in that lane is moving at 80kph and i'm merging from a stationary start, never mind the fact that its raining so if they need to break they'll go right up my butt due to not having enough breaking space, and hey, if something ahead happens and i have to break hard from 30kph, due to changing lanes from a stationary position, and they're going 80kph - oh no! brain overload! too many factors to consider!!
add to this people who only put their lights on at night and not at all times whenever visibility is low, people who don't service their cars regularly and have both their breaklights out, and the oxygen wasters who believe the world revolves around them and everyone else can wait for them and then pick a fight when someone who's been waiting 15mins longer than them beeps their horn, well, yeah, its a miracle there aren't more accidents.
fpbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #44
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbabe
that's why licenses aren't given to 5 year olds
The RTA in NSW do...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #45
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From my observations of that broad term of "bad driving", there seem to be three main types:

1. People who lack basic skills and/or mental capacity to operate a motor vehicle.
2. Those who are capable, but simply fail to pay attention.
3. Drivers with very aggressive or selfish attitudes.

With regard to point 1, I'm not intending to be flippant. Driving is a skill. It is a technical task that involves analysis, judgement, knowledge of cause and effect, and sound execution of skills. The skill is not just how to operate your own car, but how to operate it safely in the same physical space as other road users. Some people just don't have the knack. Sort of like if you are good or not at ball sports. Some could train forever and still get nowhere near competent.

Point 2 is pretty well documented. You can be quite a skilled, experienced driver, but if you're arguing with the kids, perving at the chick on the footpath or worrying about which CD you're going to play rather than looking at the road, there's a fair chance it'll end in tears.

Point 3 appears obvious, but wins the gong for the biggest "growth industry" i.e. a poor/arrogant attitude. You see it everywhere in life, and its becoming more prevalent. Unfortunately, the roads are not spared from this curse. Some of the aggression I see out on the road beggars belief. Tags such as "road rage" etc are just convenient labels for people who used to be known as garden variety [insert derogatory word here] cretins.

As a footnote to this, has anybody else noticed how when presented with a situation where another driver has obviously made an error, rather than slow down or take evasive action, other drivers will keep the foot into it, and almost contribute to an accident so that they stop 3cm from the offending vehicle, presumably so they can demonstrate just cause to sound their horn, swear & yell?
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #46
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

EVERY morning on the M5 going city bound there are fools casually cruising in the right lane at the posted limit (thinking it's their job to control and monitor the speed for everyone else)
i travel on the same car park every morning, and i see these bloody idiots every single day, and whats worst is these idiots will then suddenly swerve across to lanes two take the exit on the left :
Old 27-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #47
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most accident are caused by a vehicle problem...usually somewhere between the steering wheel and the seat. A Brent said, can be divided into 3 groups:

1. the unskilled
2. the inattentive
3. the aggressive (which includes failing to show courtesy)

1 is based on experience
2 & 3 come from attitude
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #48
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmxr8
I saw a cracker this afternoon! My workplace is directly opposite a T intersection leading on to a main road in town. An L Plater doin his Ps test was goin to turn right but was hesitant as the road has dual lanes both ways. The idiot behind him in a 4WD had enough of waiting for him and pulled along side him (I was thinking he was going to go the other direction and turn at the round about down the road and come back which alot of people do) but instead he turned directly across his path from the L platers left hand side!!!! Into traffic coming both ways. Poor learner driver was stunned as was I!!!
He probably would have failed his test because of that, if another driver does something stupid and causes the driving instructor to act = instant failure.

Here is a crappy diagram i made in Paint, the blue box is me driving and the red box is some other person:

I'll be driving down the road on my way to school with Dad, its a 100km/h zone and I'll always have someone right up my behind tailgating, there is no one behind him/her and no one in front of me but for some reason, they insist on tailgating dangerously close. So i go into the little cut out to let them pass, but THEY JUST MATCH MY SPEED AND SIT THERE. Yes, I go in there to let them overtake so they just gtfo and stop tailgating, but they just sit side by side and i have to break hard or get ran of the side of the road. It was only until I had to break hard that the person got the damn idea and actually sped up rather than trying to run me off the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #49
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

What I hate is when people decide to tailgate me on the Highway, where there are roadworks being done and I'm doing the posted 40km/h.
But it is extremely fun to see their reaction as approaching the 100km/h sign they go to overtake and )as soon as i get right to the 100 sign (normally side by side by this stage,
i plant it and go straight past them (not speeding just accelerating quickly)

I gotta say the look on their faces is great, they are not expecting a L plater to do that, that's for sure.
I only do it to people that have been tailgating me through the roadworks though
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #50
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

[QUOTE=Trick]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
a COMMODORE with a CR2 bodykit
QUOTE]

Got me there. Whats a CR2? Google had no idea.
Maybe C2R, "Concept 2 Reality". Pretty sure they went under.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #51
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote mk3
What I hate is when people decide to tailgate me on the Highway, where there are roadworks being done and I'm doing the posted 40km/h.
But it is extremely fun to see their reaction as approaching the 100km/h sign they go to overtake and )as soon as i get right to the 100 sign (normally side by side by this stage,
i plant it and go straight past them (not speeding just accelerating quickly)

I gotta say the look on their faces is great, they are not expecting a L plater to do that, that's for sure.
I only do it to people that have been tailgating me through the roadworks though
I can't make any sudden movements with my parents or I'll never see the drivers seat again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #52
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

To be honest, I'm fairly smooth about it but I just like impatient people on the road realise that a L plater doesn't always mean that they stick 10 k's under the speed limit. As I said I do nothing illegal.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #53
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Maybe C2R, "Concept 2 Reality". Pretty sure they went under.
Yeh that would be it. Plastic fantastic.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #54
InTrail

Just spent a week in Jakarta....
Forgotten how absolutely chaotic the traffic is there.

However, there doesn't seem to be the personal agression that causes road rage here. People just do what they need to do to get where they're going without any swinging dick attitude.

Still, I felt safest with my eyes closed.