Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #31
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Futura 07
hello. why do you think it is in caps? i put it like that because someone cant spell
Thanks EF! After 1900 posts I have slipped up and got caught out. ...... i before e except after c, i before e except after c.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #32
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Tmk they are the smaller motor compared to other light trucks which have close to 3ltr diesels... I drive all of them from Rodeo, Toyota and Nissan..They all have there good and bad points... The Nissan I often drive at work goes very well for a turbo diesel.. I don't think it has a 2.5 engine though ??
Use the gearbox....Over revving these engines on the governor won't get you much performance....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #33
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Tmk they are the smaller motor compared to other light trucks which have close to 3ltr diesels... I drive all of them from Rodeo, Toyota and Nissan..They all have there good and bad points... The Nissan I often drive at work goes very well for a turbo diesel.. I don't think it has a 2.5 engine though ??
Use the gearbox....Over revving these engines on the governor won't get you much performance....
yes they have a 2.5 L, i know sitting on the rev limiter in a T/D diesel wont do crap. you have to keep them in there torque range. i was just stating that nissan's peak power of 4000rpm seemed a little high (mine dies after 3500 which is obviously where torque drops off but it still should pull 4000). like DEBACLE-RACING said it has 6 gears to help it along, therefore there's alway a gear to keep it on boost.

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #34
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
I am looking at buying a T/D Dual cab sometime in the future, 4WD monthly tested them all, Navara, Hilux, Triton, BT50 & Ranger.

The Navara came last, bad underbody protection, peaky power delivery and suspect build quality were its downfall.

I am leaning towards the Mazda BT50/Ranger, value for money and a under stressed 3.0 litre motor that developes its torque and power lower in the rev range than the others.

The list was:
1)Mazda BT50
2)Ford Ranger
3)Toyota Hilux
4)Mitsubishi Triton
5)Holden Rodeo
6)Nissan Navara

BTW, all these ute are built in Thailand, not Japan that you would expect.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #35
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
BTW, all these ute are built in Thailand, not Japan that you would expect.

The Nissan is actually made in spain.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #36
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

I have an Dec 05 build 3.0 TD ST-R Navara and it's fine on road and off road and has enough power for my needs.

Yes it has cabin noise but it's a diesel and if the music is up no drama's. The engine is fine and pulls like a freight train on road and has no drama's pulling 5th gear low range in boggy sand when we take it down the beach.

I have had no drama's with the car it has been sweet since day 1 and i ran the engine in the same as the phoon ( drive it like you stole it ) and it doesn't use any oil and has no leaks after 30 thou on the clock.

It is serviced every 5 thou and all i have done to the car is put old man Emu shocks front and rear and also changed the suspension bushes out to better neoprene ones.

If it has any bad points it,s the bridgestone tyres it had on them they were crap in the wet very dangerous as it would lock up when the brakes were applied and it would sit there and spin in 1st and 2nd in the wet from the lights but i put some cooper tyres on and now it's fine.

600 k's from a tank of diesel while driving on the HWY and 500 around the city and the car cost $40 grand drive away and for our needs it's the best 4WD for our needs and being a diesel mechanic for 20 years it ****es all over tojo's.

But remember this is the old style Navara not the new style

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #37
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have one of these and a Ranger at work both 4cyl TD and they both pull harder than a 15 yo school boy with a stash of playboys
They are a great car
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #38
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ive driven one to and thought it was pretty good, although if i was buying one id get the new Ranger, it feels quicker down low, love the rangers but id also definately consider the Navara, a very well equiped dual cab for the money!

Still both much better then the new Hiluxs ive driven, those things are the most overated heaps of ive ever seen.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #39
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I work for a Nissan and Toyota dealerships, and quite often drive both the SR5 Diesel Hilux and the ST-X Diesel Navara... Any day of the week I would pick the Navara. It seems like it pulls harder, the interior is far more appealing to those who'd like to mix work hack with the family and looks so much more rugged.

I've never had any issues with it's power either, D22 ST-R Navara however had it's faults... or if you want to drive a boring diesel manual go and drive a Patrol with the 3.0litre pre-common rail. WORST diesel I've driven by a long shot!
Old 10-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #40
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
I work for a Nissan and Toyota dealerships, and quite often drive both the SR5 Diesel Hilux and the ST-X Diesel Navara... Any day of the week I would pick the Navara. It seems like it pulls harder, the interior is far more appealing to those who'd like to mix work hack with the family and looks so much more rugged.

I've never had any issues with it's power either, D22 ST-R Navara however had it's faults... or if you want to drive a boring diesel manual go and drive a Patrol with the 3.0litre pre-common rail. WORST diesel I've driven by a long shot!
My uncles got a 4.2 Coil late 06 and its a grub of a car, i hate it, so slow...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #41
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
My uncles got a 4.2 Coil late 06 and its a grub of a car, i hate it, so slow...
Yeah, but put 3 Tonnes behind it. It'll still be slow, but it'll go.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #42
YOOT
Banned

I own an 06 D-22 STR Naravara and its excellent. It is a workhourse with chrome. THe 3Lt Dieseil goes very hard for what it makes and without an intercooler. Fuel economy is excellent. It lugs its own mass of around 2100kg with fuel and driver and toolbox and still averages 10L/100km.

Offroad it is excellent, heaps of ground clearance, big tyres, but the suspension is hard. Bit too rought, but the plus side is it can take a bashing.

Torque is also excellent, never stall the thing, but it does suffer on hot humid days, you notice the turbo doesn't give as much shove as on a cold morning.

But it is incredibly consistant car. Feels the same every day, never feels worn out. We have 6 of them for work (mine is the only ST-R) and they all do 50,000km a year (except mine) and not one of them has had anything more than a oil change and brake pads in 150,000km. Not even the fuel consumption has changed much.

They aren't as flash as the new Narvara, Hilux, Rodeo, BT-50/Ranger but they are also over $10K less to buy which is a lot when you need to replace six of them.

If I was getting another ute for work (which I am not, getting a prado or pathfinder) then I would seriously look at the BT-50.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #43
BaYa
Just Cruzing

i don't have a navara but a mate of mine does and we had quite a bit of fun in it for a td navara, you wouldn't believe how much we did to it and its still goin.

MOD'S
Herrod Extractors & Redback exhaust
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Successful Trades with:BradensEBxr6, snypereb, EDXR6T, ORSMF6
Old 11-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #44
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

For any of those D22 lovers... the D22 ST-R will re-enter the market around March 08 with a common rail 3.0, with the same price bargain for ABN holders
Old 11-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #45
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
For any of those D22 lovers... the D22 ST-R will re-enter the market around March 08 with a common rail 3.0, with the same price bargain for ABN holders
That would be the Nissan Patrols 3.0? Will it gain the intercooler? If so then it will hoot!
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #46
I_Con
Formally known as "Con G"

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Firstly, sorry about the thread mining.

Just placed an order on a D40 ST-X 4X4 TD man. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Thought I might add, these were recently crash tested and received only one star safety rating. Nissan then put out an update for the airbag software which, when retested then received a 3 star rating. Anyone owning one of these should look into getting the recall done if you haven't done so already.

As for the D22 re release, the engine is a detuned version of the 2.5, and it is really slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
It depends what you call noisy, this is idle to full throttle:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...at=2016&page=1
Now the reason for this post, is the Navara in the video standard, cause it looks quicker than the ones I've test driven?

If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Click here to see my Territory Pics.
Click here to see my Navara Pics

I_Con is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #47
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

It's stock, right down to the air filter, it goes quite well for a diesel.
Due for the 30,000 service next week and the engine is just getting better, i really noticed it loosen up at 29,000klm, it keeps up with the traffic towing a ton of trailer and the back full of tools.

Mileage is 9.7 around town unladen and 13.5 towing the trailer, the manuals are even better, you made a wise choice.

I have the recall notice for the airbag software, have not got around to doing it yet.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #48
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey all,working at a nissan dealership i have done alot of work on these things,they are a great car but the only thing you have to watch for is the clutch(the only weak point on the car)...as for the d22,i think they were and still are best ute i have driven,the main thing being they are heavy duty as,they are not a horsepower machine.just my 2c.josh
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #49
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by debacle-racing
Pffft!! are you joking mate, learn to drive it. what did you have before this? an auto commodore wagon or something?

heres mine, it tows a 3t trailer with no probs at all.

Did you make that trailer yourself? Its nice and shiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #50
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

I have been in a few Nissan Nivaras and driven a couple of new ones not long ago.I recall going for a spin in Falcon Coupes award winning 1/4 mile beast he drives it like the Coupe maybe thats why it goes so hard.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #51
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura888
hey all,working at a nissan dealership i have done alot of work on these things,they are a great car but the only thing you have to watch for is the clutch(the only weak point on the car)...as for the d22,i think they were and still are best ute i have driven,the main thing being they are heavy duty as,they are not a horsepower machine.just my 2c.josh
hi futura888 can you shed any light on the 3.0lt patrols?
i read they are prone to melting pistons? my old man has one and was concerned it might blow up too.

thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #52
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Con
Thought I might add, these were recently crash tested and received only one star safety rating. Nissan then put out an update for the airbag software which, when retested then received a 3 star rating. Anyone owning one of these should look into getting the recall done if you haven't done so already.
As far as I'm aware they haven't been retested and changing the airbag deployment reaction time wouldn't bump a car up to 3 stars esp when one of the other major probs had to do with the chassie., whos ever throwing you this info is bull pooping abit.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #53
debacle-racing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
Did you make that trailer yourself? Its nice and shiny

yep, made that one. you want one?
debacle-racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #54
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi
As far as I'm aware they haven't been retested and changing the airbag deployment reaction time wouldn't bump a car up to 3 stars esp when one of the other major probs had to do with the chassie., whos ever throwing you this info is bull pooping abit.
ANCAP just retested the Navara, it did get three stars but it still only got 6.88 out of 16 in the offset crash test.
The Hilux in comparison got 10.86.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #55
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdude
i read they are prone to melting pistons? my old man has one and was concerned it might blow up too.

thanks.
We have about a dozen 3L Patrols at work and they are garbage. One blew the motor, a few have had the fuel fitting come out of the block, more have had oil pressure switch faults, some have leaky headlights.
Also who came up with the idea of putting the dipstick where it was? Right above the positive battery terminal, so if you're not careful you can end up welding the dipstick to the terminal. Or even worse it just burns through it and the end falls back into the block, which means engine out. Took them to mid 2007 to finally move it.
$5k for a clutch replacement too.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #56
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdude

thanks.
hi mate,where do i start with the patrols...as mentioned in a previous post with the navara,the clutch is deffinetly a weak point,another big problem is the glow plugs melting,mate the list goe's on,we've got one in at work at the moment that needs a new gearbox due to losing 5th and reverse which is pretty common,is your dad's one an auto?
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #57
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We just got a few of these in 6 speed manual ST-X turbo diesel form. The following are some observations in relation to other similar type TD dual cabs not Mercs or BMW's.

Very quiet and smooth particulary compared to the old 3.0L Navara and the new Triton.

Makes good power but is a little peaky, dosent have the torque spread of some of the new 3.0L's notably the ranger.

Gearbox a little notchy but this may improve with some more kms

Looks good in ST-X form and good equipment levels. Eg Cruise control

Poor driving position with very little front seat room.

Good rear seat room compared to the D22

Nice looking dash but all made of hard plastics

Tarp need pull tabs on the sides as well as the back

The most anoying seat belt alarm in the world

Not excatly a full review but a few of my thoughts, Currently i'd put it 3rd behind the XLT Ranger, SR5 Hilux but ahead of the GL-X Triton and LT Rodeo
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #58
I_Con
Formally known as "Con G"

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi
Read all about it for yourself:

www.euroncap.com

The Motor Report - D40 Retest

AutoWeb.com.au - D40 Retest

If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Click here to see my Territory Pics.
Click here to see my Navara Pics

Last edited by I_Con; 02-04-2008 at 12:25 AM.
I_Con is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #59
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura888
hi mate,where do i start with the patrols...as mentioned in a previous post with the navara,the clutch is deffinetly a weak point,another big problem is the glow plugs melting,mate the list goe's on,we've got one in at work at the moment that needs a new gearbox due to losing 5th and reverse which is pretty common,is your dad's one an auto?
series 3 manual... its only done about 60k still looks like the day he bought it . drives his company car most of the time so its more of holiday car we use when we go on trips.
He was thinking about whether to trade it in for a new landcrusier v8 twin turbo or kept it for a while longer.
It hasn't given us any problems what so ever but i was reading from different places that most of them go bang and its pretty costly to fix.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #60
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
Poor driving position with very little front seat room.

Good rear seat room compared to the D22

Have you been in a D22 ?

The D40 has around 70mm more legroom in the front, it's one of the main reasons i bought one.