Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #31
Kryton

Default Re: Dealing with threatening driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
How would teh camera deter people, most people have a gps on the window and the in car cams look exactly like a gps. Unless you have a sticker on your back window that it big enough to see.

Not trying to be smart, just interested in your thoughts.
Its pretty damn obvious when you hold up your phone and (pretend)/ tovideo them.
Once its in their face, they'll usually back right off and try and make out like nothing was happening.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #32
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After seeing so many bad drivers doing blatantly dangerous things on the road, I myself have thought about getting an HD mini-camera to install in the car. Even if it's a confronting situation and a camera won't deter them, it's so there's evidence that can be used against them and vision could also be sent to ACA/TT so they can be named and shamed.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #33
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
it's so there's evidence that can be used against them and vision could also be sent to ACA/TT so they can be named and shamed.
What is it about these two shows? Tonight,- on one of them, an old bloke lost money invested in 'mortgage backed securities' during the 2008-9 financial freefall, and is angry at the government for not 'insuring them' as they did for bank savings.

People need to see events coming, like that one, and most experts could a mile away. (And even greater events to yet unfold).

Always someone elses 'fault'. Its your money, keep an eye on events that unfold, and ask questions of the financial group/guru's if your worried.

Dash cams are very popular in Russia than anywhere else per capita - I read somewhere, - for insurance protection. You can seem many of their vids on YT and Liveleak.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Man ... the Russian dash cam vids make us look like saints out here.

Amusing and Scary at the same time ... no wonder most cars have them ... I swear they must all be driving with a tankful of Vodka on-board.

There'd have to be hundreds of crash compilations from Russia on Youtube .... hours of entertainment ... no wonder they drive crap cars ... they smash them every second day.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #35
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My girlfriends friend was intimidated by a car late at night. It was tailgating and following her turn for turn. She started to get freaked out and turned down random back streets to see if the car was really following her. It stuck on her bumper the whole time. She then picked up speed to get away from them and then red and blue lights flashed behind her.
When they cops came up to the window they were apparently laughing. ******* low.
Moral of the story is if someone is intimidating you, don't break the law. It could be a bored cop
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #36
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
My girlfriends friend was intimidated by a car late at night. It was tailgating and following her turn for turn. She started to get freaked out and turned down random back streets to see if the car was really following her. It stuck on her bumper the whole time. She then picked up speed to get away from them and then red and blue lights flashed behind her.
When they cops came up to the window they were apparently laughing. ******* low.
Moral of the story is if someone is intimidating you, don't break the law. It could be a bored cop

Did she get a ticket?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #37
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Loss of licence. Red p platers get no chances with speeding.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #38
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Loss of licence. Red p platers get no chances with speeding.

LOL...it sounded like I should feel sorry for her,
but thought I would check.

On the surface it sounded like another story of road rage..bet you that's what she told you?

(cops tailgate to match your speed to see how fast you are going)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You're kidding yourself if the police will even bother doing anything about these sort of incidents.

My cousin was harrassed by some nutjob who wanted to race him, and he was getting more and more agitated at every set of lights when my cousin didn't play along.

He ended up kicking a huge dint in my cousins car when he stopped.

He went straight to the police station with the guys rego number and was told by the officer on duty that there's nothing they can do about it. WTF?

The guy was obviously a mental case and committed a crime yet the police couldn't even be bothered following it up.

Are police so overworked now that unless you've been shot or stabbed its just not worth their time?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #40
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I called the cops on a nutcase driver. 2 females in their 20s in the car driving like complete halfwits. I think they we're drunk or something like that. Called the cops on them as I was behind them. They got spooked and shot off into a back street, I turned around because I missed my turn, then I see a cop at going the other way which then turned into the same backstreet. I don't know if the cop ever caught up with them, but I hope so.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #41
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
True, thats the risk you take, and the move they make AFTER they realise their a55 has been filmed doing what ever dubious activity they have done including unsafe and intimidating driving.

But tell me, what other LEGAL options are there to prove what has happened other than going to a police station to write down a statement?

Most women will be too shaken up to be quick with the camera phone, or a notepad to jot down number plates, or even dial 000 on the bluetooth, which in most states is illegal now to be activating while on the move. Things like this event happen so fast that when the event is done, you think back and say in heinz sight 'oh I wish I had of thought to take down the clown number plate'.

This is where a video device with a GPS tracker built in could record the time, location and more than likely the vehicles details as well as occupants picture to be used for the cops if needs be.

This video device is in no way a fail safe method for safety of the driver, and Im not claiming it is. As I have said before, if someone wants to run you off the road, side swipe you etc, they will do it regardless. But without proof or eyewitnesses as a minimum and actual details of the car and perpetrator, you got nothing and your just another statistic.

All Im suggesting is a method that will be legal and HELP DETER wrong doing. Just sitting there and copping it and letting punks like this get away with it with no proof is not a good legal solution either.
No arguements there! I actually want to put a go-pro or something as good on my bike. As people are always pulling out in front of you, and I don't even worry about it as you sort of get used to it. But one day I might not read right and I like a proof of a camera, so there's no arguement about me the bike rider doing something wrong.
Old 13-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #42
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
My brother has had that happen to him. They get you to tear away, and then pull you over. Bastards.

Anyway.

There are real nutters out there. Keep the doors locked, and keep driving.
Old 13-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #43
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Man ... the Russian dash cam vids make us look like saints out here.

Amusing and Scary at the same time ... no wonder most cars have them ... I swear they must all be driving with a tankful of Vodka on-board.

There'd have to be hundreds of crash compilations from Russia on Youtube .... hours of entertainment ... no wonder they drive crap cars ... they smash them every second day.
Insurance Jobs.. Doze crazee Ruskies.
Old 13-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #44
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
No arguements there! I actually want to put a go-pro or something as good on my bike. As people are always pulling out in front of you, and I don't even worry about it as you sort of get used to it. But one day I might not read right and I like a proof of a camera, so there's no arguement about me the bike rider doing something wrong.
Funny thing is a lot of cyclists are fitting the gopro videos to their helmets due to hit and runs. I don't blame u for looking to fit one to your motobike

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #45
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mate of mine rides with one strapped to his tank.

Going up Mt Mee he had a group of cyclists who were riding 4-abrest across the road and refused to move. He saw an opening and shot up the side.

Gets to the top of the hill and the lead rider comes up to him while he's taking a rest and starts blasting him saying he's going to report him to the cops, the beauty of having a camera was in his response: "Sure mate, we'll see how far that gets you once I hand them over my footage of you riding like a pack of monkeys *points to camera*"

Guy just stormed off
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 13-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #46
iCat
doof doof doof doof

i've had it happen to me, been tailgated and followed in the middle of the night - you lose any sense of rationale. i just wanted them to leave me alone, and i couldn't think where an open cop station was or where anyone i knew was. i eventually lost them (a hard brake then slipped down a side street) but it really rattled me. it's only happened once but it's made me heaps more aware.
Old 13-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #47
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat
i've had it happen to me, been tailgated and followed in the middle of the night - you lose any sense of rationale. i just wanted them to leave me alone, and i couldn't think where an open cop station was or where anyone i knew was. i eventually lost them (a hard brake then slipped down a side street) but it really rattled me. it's only happened once but it's made me heaps more aware.
I have a maglite because it's "an excellent torch officer".

Only ever had to wave it at one person pushing their luck, they got the message and backed off quick smart.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 14-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #48
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

Agree, two sides to the coin sometimes but no excuse for being an *** to a female.. Best thing to do imo is in order of, stick to the left lane, lock the doors, get the plate (three letters and three numbers usually) drive to a cop shop and let them know straight away.. it's not that hard

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Old 14-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this one has run its course.
Closed Thread