Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Suspicious Non-AFF Sale?

99% of people who feel the need to tell you where they work in an email is a scam. Especially if it is a place where they cannot be contacted by phone.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #32
I reckon
Banned

plus the scammers always say they are in the raaf,military or the likes..............sorry to say there is scammers in the armed forces as well!
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #33
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

There was a scam like this last week for a 1955 F100.

Was the exact script I had heard before. Car in darwin, pay the money and it will be shipped. No inspection possible.

I followed with some emails, and as soon as I got the scripted reply, I replied with 'scam', and all email traffic went quiet. They are just looking for suckers to make a quick buck.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #34
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Revised ebay add, the owner is not impressed see comments....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:AU:1123

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #35
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im in the RAAF and currently serving operationally..... Doesn't make me a scammer.

And I basically only have access to internet to conduct my day to day business, As they say life goes on back home. More often than not I have to explain why I can't call or why I can only get scanned certified copies of documentation or whatever.

It really breaks my balls to know some twat is hiding behind the name of our armed forces to perpetrate fraud. Just makes life harder for the ones who are legitamately trying to get on with life in sometimes very difficult and remote conditions.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #36
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Revised ebay add, the owner is not impressed see comments....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:AU:1123
What's revised ? I see nothing differant , mabe doesn't show up on iPhones . I asked him a few ?? And got this .

Yes mate its me ,my wife and my dog but the AD IS FAKE , the mobile number is NOT MINE . I dont know how this happened ! the Rebel is yhe real deal on ebay , someone else is using my ad .
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #37
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggsy View Post
What's revised ? I see nothing differant , mabe doesn't show up on iPhones .
Bottom of his page...

Quote:
On 26-Dec-12 at 16:31:01 AEDST, seller added the following information:

THIS IS MY AU-11 XR8 REBEL , [ THE ONE ON ' DRIVE .COM ' IS A SCAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its my original ad from ebay usins photos of me ,my wife and my dog , some [SMART-**** ] IS USING MY ADD !!!! , the mobile number is not mine on DRIVE.COM ADDVERT , the price is laughable at 2300.00 , however my reserve is reasonable for what the REBEL IS and the status the REBEL carries , my rebel is the REAL DEAL , AND MANY THANKS TO ALL THE LOOKERS WHO ALLERTED ME TO THIS SCAM ON DRIVE .COM regards Tim Stirton

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 26-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #38
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggsy View Post
What's revised ? I see nothing differant , mabe doesn't show up on iPhones . I asked him a few ?? And got this .

Yes mate its me ,my wife and my dog but the AD IS FAKE , the mobile number is NOT MINE . I dont know how this happened ! the Rebel is yhe real deal on ebay , someone else is using my ad .
Yep, is revised, he's added:

On 26-Dec-12 at 16:31:01 AEDST, seller added the following information:

THIS IS MY AU-11 XR8 REBEL , [ THE ONE ON ' DRIVE .COM ' IS A SCAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its my original ad from ebay usins photos of me ,my wife and my dog , some [SMART-**** ] IS USING MY ADD !!!! , the mobile number is not mine on DRIVE.COM ADDVERT , the price is laughable at 2300.00 , however my reserve is reasonable for what the REBEL IS and the status the REBEL carries , my rebel is the REAL DEAL , AND MANY THANKS TO ALL THE LOOKERS WHO ALLERTED ME TO THIS SCAM ON DRIVE .COM regards Tim Stirton

Not a bad looking car actually.

Ed
Old 26-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #39
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais View Post
Im in the RAAF and currently serving operationally..... Doesn't make me a scammer.....

It really breaks my balls to know some twat is hiding behind the name of our armed forces to perpetrate fraud. Just makes life harder for the ones who are legitamately trying to get on with life in sometimes very difficult and remote conditions.

Even more funny is that he claims he is at a base which doesnt exsist....
Oh and thanks for proving my point when i said earlier... a RAAFie will say he is in the RAAF.... and not type out the full Royal Aust... bit

So have we all agreed its a scam?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #40
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

bargain

might ring tomorrow
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #41
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

I contacted drive.com.au last night via email after reading this thread and seeing the guy's real ad on eBay..
I got a response from drive today thanking me for taking the time to let them know about the scam ad and that it has since been removed from their site (which it has, coz I checked )

I'm surprised no one (including the actual owner of the car) did this..

Ah well, that's my good deed for the day.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #42
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZ Wagon View Post
it has since been removed from their site (which it has, coz I checked )

I'm surprised no one (including the actual owner of the car) did this..

Ah well, that's my good deed for the day.
He did.
I suggested it to the seller Tim, and he contacted drive.com also. (see below)

Hi David ,thanks ive tried to contact drive.com ,yes its a scam dont now why ,ive left va message on his mobile [saying i know who you are and im coming after you!!!! ] anyway mine is GENUINE , FINISHES IN ONE HOUR prop wont make the reserve though regards Tim again thanks David

I'd say all our combined efforts saved the day, so I guess we've all done good deed's.

The Christmas spirit is alive and well on Ford Forums.

Cheers to everyone.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #43
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPArKy_Dave View Post
He did.
I suggested it to the seller Tim, and he contacted drive.com also. (see below)

Hi David ,thanks ive tried to contact drive.com ,yes its a scam dont now why ,ive left va message on his mobile [saying i know who you are and im coming after you!!!! ] anyway mine is GENUINE , FINISHES IN ONE HOUR prop wont make the reserve though regards Tim again thanks David

I'd say all our combined efforts saved the day, so I guess we've all done good deed's.

The Christmas spirit is alive and well on Ford Forums.

Cheers to everyone.

Yep got a reply from him a couple of days ago but it was Boxing day so he couldn't do anything about it....

Gotta help a fellow Ford man/woman when you can.....

Quote:
Thanks John , drive.com customer service is closed till tomorrow, and ill ring to report this SCAM ,i have rang the advert mobile number and told him straight [ i know whow you are and aware of your scam using my auxr8 rebel in your FAKE ADD ] this went to his mailbox he did not pick up !! Also ive revised my add on EBAY about this SCAM om drive.com , and many thanks to you and the flood of emails to me alerting me to this [TOTAL ******* ] again thanks so much regards Tim Stirton 0450845838 or 07-38145996