Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Police damage car?

Hi mate, I just wanted to give you information on how to proceed:

go to your nearest local court
apply to have the charge dismissed (form at the registry) Duty Solicitor can help with filling it out
then under this section the defect notice must have, either resulted from a safety risk or made the vehicle difficult to identify. AS BELOW.

Then go to your local mechanic and have a letter that states that it is not a defect. Give this to the Magistrate when the matter is heard.

If there is no compliance for the vehicle under RTA NSW regulations etc, then the Court should dismiss the charge. If this is made, then get a copy of this (certified by Justice of Peace) and send to your RTA to inform them it has been dismissed.

For a minor defect, a warning was also available to the Officer. In regard to the damage, again your choice. But you can also have Court make a compensation claim for payment of repairs (get 2 quotes) and give this to the Magistrate.

Good luck!!

ROAD TRANSPORT (VEHICLE REGISTRATION) REGULATION 2007 - REG 70

Issue of defect notices and formal warnings 70 Issue of defect notices and formal warnings
(1) A vehicle defect notice may be stated to be:
(a) a major vehicle defect notice if, in the reasonable opinion of the person issuing the notice, the further use of the registrable vehicle in road transport after the time specified in the notice would constitute an imminent and serious safety risk, or
(b) a minor vehicle defect notice if, in the reasonable opinion of the person issuing the notice, deficiencies in the registrable vehicle, if allowed to continue after the time specified in the notice, may:
(i) constitute a safety risk, or
(ii) hinder the ability of a person to identify the vehicle by reference to its number-plates.
Note: Section 26 of the Act provides that a police officer or the Authority may issue a vehicle defect notice.
"Safety risk" is defined in the Dictionary to mean danger to a person, to property or to the environment

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...07478/s70.html

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez...do people still use pod filters?
Seeing the range of high flow panel filters that fit in the standard housing, I'm surprised anyone would go to the trouble...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is useless without pics of airbox. Before and after damage.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #34
Tobey
BF Ute...

Guys, do you remember the law that P-platers cannot drive vehicles that have any performance modifications at all?

I would imagine that this is what the ticket has been issued for.

The damage may be something you want to complain about and take further. But you wont get the ticket dismissed if it is in fact for a p-plater driving a vehicle with a performance modification...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
Guys, do you remember the law that P-platers cannot drive vehicles that have any performance modifications at all?

The damage may be something you want to complain about and take further. But you wont get the ticket dismissed if it is in fact for a p-plater driving a vehicle with a performance modification...
Ah, bingo...forgot that one. I would say an air pod and airbox that is obviously aftermarket would attract the eye of any half-competant copper straight away after noticing the P plate...
Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #36
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

regardless.

he may be entitled to compensation for the damage.

thats why unfortunately people nowadays have to record the police officer and subsequent conversation.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #37
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

OP has been on several times today and not answering questions

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #38
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
regardless.

he may be entitled to compensation for the damage.

thats why unfortunately people nowadays have to record the police officer and subsequent conversation.

Yes, thats why i said make a complaint. The court doesnt care (when trying to get the ticket revoked) wether the car was damaged by a police officer.

Also, not sure how this applies, but something to note, in the event a Police officer searches a vehicle, any panels/parts removed/damaged as part of the search, are not an expense of NSWPF to have replaced/reattached/repaired.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

But doesn't that only apply to people who got their licence after a certain date. I'm sure their are still P platers who have to follow the rules that applied when they got their licence. The rules didn't automatically apply to all P platers, just the ones who got their P's after the new rules were introduced.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #40
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
But doesn't that only apply to people who got their licence after a certain date. I'm sure their are still P platers who have to follow the rules that applied when they got their licence. The rules didn't automatically apply to all P platers, just the ones who got their P's after the new rules were introduced.

The law came in a decent time ago now, would have been July 2005 IIRC. Before FG's were even released...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #41
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Geez...do people still use pod filters?
normal panel ones just done say 'fully sic' enough.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #42
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Also, not sure how this applies, but something to note, in the event a Police officer searches a vehicle, any panels/parts removed/damaged as part of the search, are not an expense of NSWPF to have replaced/reattached/repaired.
So who pays? Especially if nothing is found by the search.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #43
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Do ppl still use pods lol

The FG GT 335 & GS 315 super charged have them as standard equipment & are exposed when you open the bonnet

Some one add a photo for the un-educated

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted

The FG GT 335 & GS 315 super charged have them as standard equipment & are exposed when you open the bonnet

the OP wasn't driving a gt or gs. many people that change their factory panel setup to a pod think that their car will become a gt or gs though.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #45
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted

I am very interested to know, how someone would get on if the police ever did a defect inspection on a new S/C GS or GT

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #46
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What above new FPV owners with a pod as standard ?
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The law came in a decent time ago now, would have been July 2005 IIRC. Before FG's were even released...
Its only been a year or 2 hasn't it.

It definately wasn't 7 years ago.

Not in Vic anyway.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #48
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

manufacturers build their cars to meet emission and ADR standards, so it will not be a problem on a car that is built by the manufacturer, but the same system would not automatically be legal on another car

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #49
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, thats why i said make a complaint. The court doesnt care (when trying to get the ticket revoked) wether the car was damaged by a police officer.

i think your quite wrong on that.

even the constitution says people have a right to just compensation. they are not allowed to just take stuff off your car without recourse.

that opens a whole can of worms on abuse of power.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #50
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I haven't been able to reply until I got back in contact with my brother.

The intake was custom made, to a very high level of quality and took a long time to get perfect. So there's no way of putting a dollar value on it, but that isn't the point and nobody is looking to be compensated. The issue seems to lie with principle, whether it was a good quality custom made intake or a million dollar Process West race intake, I don't think the officer should have man-handled it. If he didn't think it was legal he should have written a defect notice and left it at that. I haven't got a photo of it undamaged, but it has a similar style and finish to the intake from my XR6T, very discreet.....

It was a black steel airbox (unpainted on its underside) with a stainless steel intake pipe. I assume the shiny intake pipe would have aroused the officer's attention. The reason for the pod filter is purely for a bit of induction noise as the N/As sound like a vacuum cleaner with a panel filter. I've been told that the officer was prying it open by leveraging his metal torch against the car's frame, which has twisted the lid. It was pretty strong metal so he would have been applying a lot of force to destroy it like he did...

As far as P Plate modifications go, there seems to be a divide in opinion. From what I have researched the law states that only modifications that require an engineers certificate are illegal for P platers. I'm not sure if a simple air intake qualifies, but in the legislation minor modifications do not require certification. The intake wouldn't provide any more power either way. I'm told the officer also cited “emissions” as a reason the intake was defectable... yet still no defect notice, just a fine.

As far as the overall ordeal goes, my brother told me he was being tailgated by this unmarked SS Commodore for the last 3km of his journey, presumably to push him to go faster as I know some cops do with P platers and without an entrapment law over here, they get away with it. When pulled over, the officer checked everything he could, from inner tyre wear to the boot looking for unrestrained subs (car has no subs). He was on the side of the road for 20 minutes.

Something interesting I found is a news report on a quota-like system in the exact suburb he was pulled over in, Macquarie Fields. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVLOgCkGGL8 That may or may not be part of the reason he wasn't given a warning, no defect notice was written and he was simply issued the fine. After thinking about it for a while, I'm pretty disappointed that this has happened. My brother is a young bloke in his teens, clean driving record and only drives the car to work and back. Now he's worried about taking the car to work in case the same copper spots him again. It's pretty ridiculous that police target P Platers so intensely, he was doing absolutely nothing wrong at the time, gets tailgated, pulled over for 20 minutes, his car damaged and an $88 ticket. He had a lot of sour words about police when I spoke to him as this was his first encounter with the law and it was very negative, being picked on for no reason. Traffic police wonder why so many young peope think so little of them, I guess incidents like this can really shape a young blokes opinion of them. Hopefully he has more positive encounters in the future.

As to what he is going to do about it, he is unsure. I advised him to perhaps let it go, it's only $88. But he's still fairly upset and wants to take it to court not only for the fact that he feels what happened was unfair, but also because he was tailgated so closely for over 3km that he couldn't even see the police car's headlights behind, I'm sure it's all on the dash cam too. I'll give him some time to cool off and see what happens.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #51
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Whoa whoa whoa.... Your " P PLATER" brother drives an FG XR6 turbo?

Sorry. Edit: just noticed it's your turbo.. Lol

Last edited by sk8xr8; 09-01-2012 at 07:44 AM.
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #52
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do not bother reporting the cop, it will be more trouble than it is worth. You fight one cop you fight the whole force.

Last edited by xisled; 09-01-2012 at 07:48 AM.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #53
ja50nh

Well,

The RTA doesn't really make it clear on their site. I gave them a quick ring to check up on engine modification for p platers. I have extractors, hi-flow cat and 2 1/2" exhaust, they stated the modification restrictions were for that requiring a blue slip, so I asked if my mods were fine to have on the car, he replied yes.

Personally I think it should be a set amount of power, I could have an EL with quite a bit of work done and not catch a Ba/bf. Not to mention every Tom, dick and Harry nowadays have some form of exhaust.

You don't have much to loose if you take it higher, you have a fine and broken property, if you are 'flagged' then get them for harassment. It's a FG so it's still going to be clean as a diamond.
ja50nh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #54
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

record it next time they stop you.

advise them you are recording it. and advise every time after you will record it too.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #55
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rock and hard place with something like this.
You could argue the ticket in court which will cost a similar amount to the fine, or you could just pay the fine and not deal with the hassle of the courts and any future conflicts that may arise with the officer in question after he finds out you lodged a complaint.

I think i would fight under a matter of principle if i knew for sure i was 100% in the right. But if i felt as though i had it coming i would pay the fine and return the car to stock, after all is it relay worth hassle for such a small power gain?
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #56
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
he was tailgated so closely for over 3km that he couldn't even see the police car's headlights behind
that's when it's time for a brake test.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #57
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
Rock and hard place with something like this.
You could argue the ticket in court which will cost a similar amount to the fine, or you could just pay the fine and not deal with the hassle of the courts and any future conflicts that may arise with the officer in question after he finds out you lodged a complaint.

I think i would fight under a matter of principle if i knew for sure i was 100% in the right. But if i felt as though i had it coming i would pay the fine and return the car to stock, after all is it relay worth hassle for such a small power gain?
IF its legal then yes.

based on principle.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #58
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
that's when it's time for a brake test.
BINGO. Tell them you got such a shock and shat yourself, that you braked heavily. They would need a lot of explaining back at the station.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #59
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
i think your quite wrong on that.
Ok...

Quote:
Its only been a year or 2 hasn't it.

It definately wasn't 7 years ago.

Not in Vic anyway.
It was before I got my P's that it came in in NSW. Much before Victoria, I got mine in Feb 2006. I also remember it was a July that it came in...
Old 09-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #60
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
What above new FPV owners with a pod as standard ?
If it's factory, it's legal. More or less. As long as you don't put it on another car in the range which it didn't come out with. I found that out quite some years back with tinted headlight covers on a VC Commodore...the police weren't interested that HDT was putting them on the SS...the copper said "So is this an SS?"..."No"..."Then take them off..."

There's some things that are gray areas...when we had our Landcruiser we heard from owners of new Nissan Patrols that had been given infringement notices about the rear spare tyre mount possibly obscuring the licence plate from one side view, meaning cameras couldn't see the licence plate, which comes under "obscuring the licence plate" regulations. The spare wheel mount is a factory fitment, there's nowhere else it can be mounted, and every Patrol has the same fitment...but if you get the wrong copper on the wrong day, it's illegal...

I would imagine with the pod filter that it doesn't matter that a GT has it standard...the car he was driving isn't a GT, so didn't come out standard with that fitted.