Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #31
creative
I am Batman

Default Re: Dash mats.

Seems like its a hot topic!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #32
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

They're cheap enough to replace every few years as well, and look tidy if you take care of them as well as the rest of the interior.
a young fella i know, bought himself a late model Aurion Sportivo. Nice looking rig.

First thing he done was spend a quid on a car bra to protect the paint, weathershields all round to protect himself from weather, protect the nice sportivo seats with $50 SCA red/black seat covers, dash mat to protect the dash, ugly floor mats to protect the floor. Dont forget the steering wheel cover to protect it from harmful rays of the sun.

Now the car car looks stupid, and no doubt the car will be kept nice & clean for the next owner..........

Last edited by AU Mont; 26-08-2012 at 04:22 PM.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
And yet my VW GTI which unlike a falcadore was not 'designed for local conditions', was parked in the sun for 5 years, and still looked/felt as good as the day i bought it.

I suspect the need for a dash mat is probably more a reflection of the crappy plastics that are used in Aus cars.
really? give it a couple of years.
http://www.vwgolf-mk2.com/eplarepair_dash.html

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?hl=e...9,r:5,s:0,i:91

Last edited by mik; 26-08-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: add
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
I don't like them either, fly off under hard acceleration or turning, block the vents to the windscreen.

modern dashboards may have uv inhibitors, but you still see it is a problem. you see it on 5-10yo cars have cracks in the dashboard.
if they are a decent mat they usually come with velcro to stop them sliding off/moving out of pozzy.
Old 26-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #35
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
aunger has only just shut down in the last few years apparently......I for one severely miss them, I have had aunger rear louvres on almost every vehicle I have owned

only found out that this long serving company had closed when I went to get a louvre for the Ford
They went broke but had a lot of stock on hand that was bought by other distributors. Some of their stuff is still available in very limited quantities.

Dashmats are still pretty popular but most people get them to reduce the amount of visible plastic in the cabin. I'm not fussed on them but if I bought a car with one I would leave it on.
Old 27-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #36
morak001
460 - cubes torque

I would think the electronics in the dash ie gauge cluster and body computer would benefit (less prone to failure) from a slightly lower temperature too?
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh those little airfoils on the windscreen wipers are still there...it's just that they're build into the arm shape now, usually a "spoiler" of sheet metal as part of the arm or the head of the wiper on most cars.
Older cars don't...our WB ute and Celica both have the old fashioned plain arms which can lift off at speed in rain. I've fitted those "complete replacement" wiper head assemblies, and they have the little airfoil built into that part.

As for car interior temperature, I vividly recall one of the hottest cars I've owned being a little Mazda Capella which had a completely black interior...seats, dash, carpet, door trims, the lot...and with no window tinting. Working on a farm in the middle of one of the hottest summers Bundy had seen in the early eighties I opened the door after it had been parked in the sun all day and it was like opening an oven. The little dashboard thermometer accessory I had said it was over 70 degrees in there...the steering wheel was that hot as I steered I was like someone taking a hot pan out of the oven passing it from hand to hand...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #38
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Anyone ever put a hand under a dashmat after a day in the summer sun ? Still super HOT !
I suppose that keeping the direct sunlight off the plastic provides the measure
of protection ? Anyway, I've got one in my car............

(38 posts on dashmats........... we are true enthusiasts eh !)
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #39
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
Anyone ever put a hand under a dashmat after a day in the summer sun ? Still super HOT !
I suppose that keeping the direct sunlight off the plastic provides the measure
of protection ? Anyway, I've got one in my car............

(38 posts on dashmats........... we are true enthusiasts eh !)
What I find really funny is there is quite a bit of support for dash mats in this forum, but when some bloke puts an odd body kit on his car we can it for being a ricer (or simular)

I dont rate these dash mats (as expressed in my ealier post) but lets face it we all choose acceoosries for our own reaons, I would wager a large portion of peoplr here would see the accesories I fit to my cars as pointless just as I see dash mats and little clip on spoilers on wipers as such. (give me a blue dash fan though and I'm in heaven )

no real point to my post just an observation

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #40
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=b2tf]They went broke but had a lot of stock on hand that was bought by other distributors. Some of their stuff is still available in very limited quantities.

damn shame that a company with a good product and reliable competent employees have to shut their gates

the product (rear louvres and much more) was and still is very popular, especially around here where it regularly gets to 50 degs

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

indeed poppa , i`d kill for kill for a Louvre for the AU, i`ve seen about 2 in the years i`ve had it.
Old 27-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #42
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
really? give it a couple of years.
more than a couple ... you do realise how old a mk2 golf is, dont you?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #43
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
indeed poppa , i`d kill for kill for a Louvre for the AU, i`ve seen about 2 in the years i`ve had it.
Reckon i may have one at work. I'll have to check.
Old 27-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #44
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

while you're looking there b2tf see if you got one for my 05 BA fairmont (rear louvre) please

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #45
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Yep, those Aunger rear window louvres were great. Had them for years on my cars. Maybe bt2f has one stashed away for the FG??

Regarding the top of the dash, I dont have a dashmat, when the car is parked in the sun I use a sunshade which covers across inside the windscreen, helping to protect everything inside from the sun shining through. Probably not as good as the windscreen protector I had years ago that went across the outside of the windscreen, which was silver coloured to reflect the sunlight.

Also the stubby holder which protects the sun sensitive FG gear knob.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #46
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Dash mats.

Re the Aunger Rear Louvres .. I had one on my previous car which was a BA Fairmont. When I traded it in on my Fg XR6 I took it off and kept it. After a while I wondered if I could get it to fit the FG.

It is not a perfect fit but it does go on. I have had it fitted on my FG for a while now and it does do a great job of reducing the amount of heat coming in from the rear window.

Chers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #47
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I HATe looking at acre's of big ugly dash plastics. -To me the cockpit feels more warm/personal and cant hurt in regards to serious glare reduction and who cares if dashes are less prone to cracks nowadays - Dash carpet will then virtualy garauntee no cracks.

dash carpet FTW.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #48
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
I HATe looking at acre's of big ugly dash plastics. -To me the cockpit feels more warm/personal and cant hurt in regards to serious glare reduction and who cares if dashes are less prone to cracks nowadays - Dash carpet will then virtualy garauntee no cracks.

dash carpet FTW.
I thought of this when I read your post

sorry man, all in harmless fun

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #49
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I have one to hide that big nasty dash they put in EA-D.

The aunger rear louvres are great, stops so much sunlight getting into the car, just makes washing back window a hassle. With the front visor and dash mat the front of the car stays very cool and dark which is nice with no glare.
Old 27-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #50
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
while you're looking there b2tf see if you got one for my 05 BA fairmont (rear louvre) please
Shall do. I have a feeling the same one should do both models anyway.
Old 27-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #51
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I thought of this when I read your post

sorry man, all in harmless fun
Looks like the interior of a WB Statesman
Old 27-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Reckon i may have one at work. I'll have to check.
i`ll happily take it off your hands if you can locate one, just name your price.
cheers mik.