Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #31
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke
Showed me his dumpster full of old mufflers including Lukey and Redback that only lasted 18 months.
Quote:
He said the genuine mufflers are stainless steel and guaranteed for 3 years, Redbacks for 2 years.
So i bet he's fuming that he's doing warranty replacements?
Old 30-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #32
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Just had an interesting talk with an owner of an exhaust place. Has got mufflers from floor to ceiling, 6 car lifts chokkas with cars getting new exhausts. Been in the industry 25 years. I said I was looking at an aftermarket cat bak 2 1/2" blah blah blah. He said unless you're getting rid of it within a year, don't waste your money. Showed me his dumpster full of old mufflers including Lukey and Redback that only lasted 18 months. Basically said they were rubbish. He said the genuine mufflers are stainless steel and guaranteed for 3 years, Redbacks for 2 years.

Remember, his words not mine. I'm just the messenger.

Signed,
WTFIGO
There is some truth to what he's saying. My mate with his ef had issues with his redback system 6 months after getting it fitted. the muffler had cracked around the welds and it was leaking. He had the holes re-welded, but he said he hasnt had that happen to him before. That being said, he wouldnt go a redback system again. This was all in mild steel btw.

The question is, can you justify the added cost in going stainless steel? For looks alone, it certainly an improvement after a few years when its not all rusted looking.

Its up to the person and how long that person intends on keeping the car.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #33
The Monty
Just slidin'

I guess thats why all AU's came out with S/S systems then................

Mild Steel corrodes quicker yes, S/S will last a long long time. But then look at the price difference, lol.
Old 30-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #34
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I guess thats why all AU's came out with S/S systems then................

Mild Steel corrodes quicker yes, S/S will last a long long time. But then look at the price difference, lol.
Vast majority of factory exhausts are stainless but purely for longevity - I have a BF system sitting here and it is full stainless (and actually looks pretty good).

As for aftermarket exhausts being crap, yeah sure some are, but I wouldnt say Difilipo and the like are crap. Buy a 2.5" system and whack it on, and dont pay more than $500 for one. FWIW, back when I had my EF 6, I had a HM one on it and it gave a nice note.
Old 30-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #35
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

What about a Scott's Rods exhaust like this? steer clear?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FALCON-EA-EB-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Or how about this Redback system?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-E...d=p3286.c0.m14

Onlineperformance version
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-E...d=p3286.c0.m14

Then there is this complete package i found :
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FALCON-AU-SED...d=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited by BLUEPRINT; 30-10-2008 at 07:52 PM.
InfernoSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #36
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

I payed $230 for my 2.5" Custom Catback, Chopped at the diff with a dumper ...

I wouldn't touch Midas with a 10ft pole made by holden ... A mate of mine got his done from there, and, not knocking his car as he's a member here, but (it sounds like sh yte) ... He payed around $500-$550 for it, and on idle you cant hear it, and can't hear it kick in too about 3,000RPM, even then it sounds really dull ...
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post