Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #31
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Tesla Roadster electric supercar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I realise that you are swept up with the all the hype over this thing be please understand you are getting all of your info from salesmen and brochures not engineers.

Actually, I have driven an electric supercar from Tesla.

And where are you getting your info from?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Actually, I have driven an electric supercar from Tesla.

And where are you getting your info from?
Working with electricity including storage for many many years, not 10 minutes like your drive.

This is no different from the LPG fans.

It will work in some specific situations but for the majority is will not.

Do you not see the insanity of the after 400km I can wait 2 hours?

Wait where? At the road side charger? Hope you are the only one on the road as if there are a couple ahead of you then it will be a 6 hour wait.

Of course there could be more than one bay.

So you draw say 30 amps and the next guy draws 30 amps and the next guy and the next guy.

It will not scale as the electricity supply system is designed for smooth even flow not short sharp bursts.

I used to do this for a living and know first hand what happens when there are unbalanced loads.

Last edited by flappist; 26-10-2012 at 07:33 PM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
"The Tesla Model "S" has a single phase power and a three phase power connection."

It has a sophisticated charger unlike your phone charger.

Hope that clears that up for you.

Tesla state that a quick charge of 80% from 5% is possible in two hours in the US with US voltages..

I can happily wait 2 hours to do another 400km, no probs.
i`m guessing the chargers you refer to are dedicated ones you have at home, in a video i posted a while ago a car tester in US zoomed around the city in an electric car, looking for public ev chargers, in some cases knob heads with petrol cars had parked in charging spots, in some other cases chargers did`nt work, also in some cases they had different connections and also different charge rates,
i don`t think i`ll be rushing out to buy one just yet.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #34
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Working with electricity including storage for many many years, not 10 minutes like your drive.

This is no different from the LPG fans.

It will work in some specific situations but for the majority is will not.

Do you not see the insanity of the after 400km I can wait 2 hours?

Wait where? At the road side charger? Hope you are the only one on the road as if there are a couple ahead of you then it will be a 6 hour wait.

Of course there could be more than one bay.

So you draw say 30 amps and the next guy draws 30 amps and the next guy and the next guy.

It will not scale as the electricity supply system is designed for smooth even flow not short sharp bursts.

I used to do this for a living and know first hand what happens when there are unbalanced loads.

wow....you really hate electric cars with a passion.

good for you...

I guess after 200km waiting one hour is too long as well?
(you should try driving with my missus for longer than 2 hours)

You have made me so worried about running out of battery power now there is just nothing that comes to mind to solve the gigantic problem of running out on the side of the road.....

A jerrycan for electric cars?

We could call it a Hybrid with one of these in the boot....

Old 26-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is a 2KVA generator as in about 8 amps not 30 or 70.

You do not seem to understand scale. 1 car = 30 amps for 1 hour 100,000 cars = 3,000,000 amps for 1 hour and we just can't do that. Our power stations are coal not nuclear, they just cannot handle the load.

The thing you don't seem to get is that yes the car works well but the electricity infrastructure in Australia is not designed to work with it so while they are a boutique oddity they will be lots of fun but they cannot be main stream because we cannot support them.

It is similar to the ethanol loonies who rabbit on about renewable energy. If ALL of the cane, wheat and whatever else in Australia was turned into ethanol we only produce enough to power 0.4% of the yearly requirement.

We are decades if not centuries off electric cars being a primary transport medium.
Old 26-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Victoria's grid couldn't even cope with everyone turning on their AC in summer a few years ago, getting blackouts everywhere, let alone every man and his dog with electric cars plugged into the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
"The Tesla Model "S" has a single phase power and a three phase power connection."
Between all the power drills, grinders, lead lights etc we're fighting for a power point, let alone 30 of us with electric cars fighting to plug them in later on these few decades lol.

We've only got 1 three phase power point which we're fighting between ourselves to use the guillotine or the damn welder.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-10-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #37
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
That is a 2KVA generator as in about 8 amps not 30 or 70.

You do not seem to understand scale. 1 car = 30 amps for 1 hour 100,000 cars = 3,000,000 amps for 1 hour and we just can't do that. Our power stations are coal not nuclear, they just cannot handle the load.

The thing you don't seem to get is that yes the car works well but the electricity infrastructure in Australia is not designed to work with it so while they are a boutique oddity they will be lots of fun but they cannot be main stream because we cannot support them.

It is similar to the ethanol loonies who rabbit on about renewable energy. If ALL of the cane, wheat and whatever else in Australia was turned into ethanol we only produce enough to power 0.4% of the yearly requirement.

We are decades if not centuries off electric cars being a primary transport medium.

Absolutely not worth engaging you...you are so way off the mark.

A 2kw generator is like carrying a 4L can of petrol....saves pushing the car.

That's the last bit of common sense I'll offer you.

I am sick of shaking my head.
Old 27-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Absolutely not worth engaging you...you are so way off the mark.

A 2kw generator is like carrying a 4L can of petrol....saves pushing the car.

That's the last bit of common sense I'll offer you.

I am sick of shaking my head.
Yes you really do understand what you are talking about......

How much power do you think a 2Kw generator can supply? And supposing it was able to charge the batteries at 100% efficiency how long would it take to charge the batteries enough to move the car 1Km?

I will give you a clue. The Tesla batteries are 53Kw/h so at 100% you would with your 2kva charger add just under 4% charge every hour.
So again assuming 100% efficiency in one hour you have enough to travel 4% of 400km or 16km.

So how much petrol are you going to carry in your Tesla just in case and is the petrol going to be stored is an ADR legal long term storage container or just a Bunnings plastic jerrycan from the aisle next to your genset.

All the hype, salesman's stories and fanaticism in the universe cannot change the laws of physics.......

The Tesla is a toy for playing with in a city or with logistical support on a low utilisation basis, nothing more. But then so are most Ferraris, Lambos and all the other Top Gear hobbyhorses.
Old 28-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #39
zilo
BANNED

Back on topic....

Here is a blurry photo of the dash.

If you look hard you'll see the range left on the batteries display.

Old 29-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #40
zilo
BANNED

Tesla roadster Vs Porsche 911 Turbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxveY...feature=fvwrel

Tesla Roadster acceleration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nxF0...feature=fvwrel