Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #31
Alister

Default Re: Shell/Coles ATM's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
They do keep a big safe for excess cash in the till, but the staff don't have access to that storage. They only have access to a basic float which varies in size depening on the size of the store and usually it's only a max of about $1,500 bucks.
Close mate, half correct.

There is a "note reader" (safe) that you have instructions to automatically drop every $50 or $100 note you receive into it. You aren't meant to carry these notes in your till, some CSRs do if they get lazy.

The maximum allowed float size is approx. $200 (often +/- 10% depending what you end the shift on) REGARDLESS OF THE SIZE OF THE STORE. When you start your shift and you aren't meant to keep much more in your till whilst on your shift. I won't say how much for obvious reasons.

If you run out of notes, there is a time delay system to access coins and small notes ($10 and $5 notes). I won't go into the details again.

Anyway back to the OP -

mate, get over it. It's a servo not a bank and no CSRs like keeping much in the till after hours (or even daytime hours) as the RAMs can pop in for random audits. So many customers use to ask for ridiculous amounts of cash out and then got prissy because I told them to use the ATM because I had none in the till but why would I risk my job (have since quit many years ago) so I can give you cash out?

Also have you wondered why at the Coles supermarkets the pinpad even prompts you for cash out but at Coles Express (Shell) it doesn't? Obvious reasons again.

One more thing, i'd say more like only 1/4 of customers pay cash and that's based on near 4 years of experience when I worked there while I was at uni and I worked at many different sites.

Ahhh those were the days...*sits back in rocking chair*

Last edited by Alister; 06-10-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Alister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister
Anyway back to the OP -

mate, get over it. It's a servo not a bank
No actually servo is short for SERVICE which is something you no longer get from a petrol station (or a bank).
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
No actually servo is short for SERVICE which is something you no longer get from a petrol station (or a bank).
Interesting you mention this because on Thursday my supervisor came out to the workshop I did 4 weeks of training placement in and he was mentioning how when he was 15 he did his apprenticeship at a petrol station as a motor mechanic and if a customer rocked up he would fill their car with fuel, fill up the washer bottle, check oil, clean their windows and took payment.

Damn that would be nice to get that happening again, I wouldn't mind paying extra for it also.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #34
Alister

Thread dig again but good point regarding service, I remember the days when I was a small kid but could you expect to do it now?

Big sites serve between 2500 - 3500 customers a day (work that out to the hour and then think about peak hour times and how long it takes customers to fill up and get out etc) and even small dingy ones serve 1000 - 1200 on busier days.

No way you could keep up with drive way service. Maybe if you owned an independent with hardly any customers but anywhere with shopper dockets get reemed.

I remember working the 4pm-12pm at a major site and serving between those hours 100 - 150 customers an hour and then someone coming in the ask me to fill their tank for them with 10 people waiting in line and me being the only one on duty
Alister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool65
How come the one I used cost me $2.50?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #36
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister
Thread dig again but good point regarding service, I remember the days when I was a small kid but could you expect to do it now?
Still get a bit of this in Czech Republic here but I think most of them are family-owned and it shows - spotless toilets, little homely touches, nice food to make you welcome, free wireless etc.

One servo in the country had the whole family out and I wondered why until I came back from paying, got in and found the two buxom low-cut daughters leaning forward over the bonnet cleaning the windscreen. My wife got the benefit of the show, I only got the end. Next time I'm sending her to pay!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #37
Hood-G6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most servos here haven't done cash out for years.

For sale

ADELAIDE FG OWNERS
Hood-G6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #38
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Went and bought some petrol from Shell today and I asked for $50 cash out via Eftpos while paying with an ATM card. The operator then said "I don't have $50 to give you, but we have an ATM over there if you'd like to use that".

Funnily enough it was a Coles branded ATM.

I found it very hard to believe that an extremely busy servo that has had customers all morning did not have $50 to spare in the till. I'm assuming that the idea is to get people using the Coles branded ATM, and be slugged the $2 to boost Coles profits. If they have one of these at every Coles servo then thats a hell of a lot of people being slugged $2 every time they want some cash. I'm sure the console operators have been advised to do this.

Nice way to do business Coles/Shell.

I just drove down the road and got the cash out of my banks ATM just out of principal.
I think the atm machine would be far less profitable for Coles than most of the other items for sale in the shop. Eg a bottle of Coke

(if the profitability of ATM fleets from existing players like Customers Limited is anything to go by)
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #39
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Damn that would be nice to get that happening again, I wouldn't mind paying extra for it also.
i think you would - once minimum wage, oh&s equipment etc to took effect
plus the fact that with the amount of queueing at servos the extra time would cause most to go postal
and i don't want anyone touching my car - i will do it thank you. service is only service if they car and do it right

on the original topic - in south east melbourne it has never been different. even when the atm is from a bank and not the particular supermarket chain. servos in general never give out money with eftpos. there are many, many atm's and supermarkets around to get money from - maybe the servo's think this too
and if every customer wanted even $20, they would certainly run out of money
i am not sure how much money the attendants do have access to, but considering how easy a target servo's are, it would not be right or safe to have a $50 note ready for every customer
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post