Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #31
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: John Cadogan, Josh Dowlings twin?

He is taking the tabloid route quite obviously. What an absolute ******.
Old 18-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #32
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe he couldn't get a salesman to give him one for nicks?
Old 18-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #33
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnz_xr8 View Post
him and dowling need a double ended cactus
Mate Dowling is a credible journalist compared with this knob (I know, I know)

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #34
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with most above that hes got a winey voice and when you hear him on the radio on the graveyard shift is always wingeing about something

But hes pretty right on paper about the Territory

I've had a Territory and after I got through the poor quality control from new it was a good reliable car

BUT it was thirsty, it did trash ball joints and suspension bushes and there are better cars for better money.

I don't know what he was getting at though with his Kluger more power less torque same fuel consumption from a Kluger, to me that means the teritory petrol's a better or at worst in the same box as the Kluger in the engine department

And if you take the emotion out of it for the average mum and dad or corporate buyer his comparisons are pretty much right

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #35
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^ Sorry, but have to disagree; he's not right on paper.

We had a SYII AWD Territory Ghia for 5 years. It ran faultlessly, economically (regular low to mid 20mpg around Penrith/City).

Had no issues from new. It was good, reliable, smooth, quiet, great handling vehicle.

That's my experience. We traded it on a new SZ AWD Titanium Diesel and after a few months of ownership I believe the love will continue.

If that's an emotional statement, that's just the way I feel about my cars.
Old 18-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #36
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
^^^^^ Sorry, but have to disagree; he's not right on paper.

We had a SYII AWD Territory Ghia for 5 years. It ran faultlessly, economically (regular low to mid 20mpg around Penrith/City).

Had no issues from new. It was good, reliable, smooth, quiet, great handling vehicle.

That's my experience. We traded it on a new SZ AWD Titanium Diesel and after a few months of ownership I believe the love will continue.

If that's an emotional statement, that's just the way I feel about my cars.
Not going to argue your entitled you your opinion

I've only had the one and I stand by my coment, My wife wanted a new one at the beginning of last year and I wouldn't let her get another one, again for the reasons he states. lets face it their value in the used market isn't great, when they stop in 2016 its only going to get worse, we typically keep our family trucksters for 5 - 7 years and I didn't want to be left with an Orphan

They are a good car for Australia and they were a great car in 2014 but aside from some trim changes whats really changed?

Old 18-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #37
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Not going to argue your entitled you your opinion

I've only had the one and I stand by my coment, My wife wanted a new one at the beginning of last year and I wouldn't let her get another one, again for the reasons he states. lets face it their value in the used market isn't great, when they stop in 2016 its only going to get worse, we typically keep our family trucksters for 5 - 7 years and I didn't want to be left with an Orphan

They are a good car for Australia and they were a great car in 2014 but aside from some trim changes whats really changed?
I'm not arguing either, my opinion is based on my experience as is yours.

The Territory is far from the aging geriatric lemon he makes it out to be and it doesn't deserve that.

Based on the way he presents his opinion every car model could be generalised as a lemon as every manufacturer has their share of problems; Mazda CX-5 diesel engine models, as an example, springs to mind.
Old 18-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #38
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be frank, in my immediate family we've had at least 8 Territories and not one was a lemon or required anything that wasn't scheduled or a wear and tear item. AND I'm no big fan of Joshua Dowling but I could never see him ever write a piece as put together by this low life.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #39
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

"W!!! I cant believe how ignorant you are to the facts!!! A train wreck? Seriously mate you need some education. Go and look at all the other reviews and comparisons between the Territory and the "Korean" brands you speak of. Firstly the ball joint issue was resolved from SY2 onwards in 2009, Ford did a recall and fixed all affected cars with an updated design. Secondly the ZF gearbox you speak of is used across a number of European marques including BMW and Jaguar (it leaves the competitions gearboxes for dead). Thirdly you complain about the brake rotors giving up the ghost before they should? What do you mean by this? I have seen Territory's do 150,000 km's on the original brake rotors? Rotors are a consumable item on all cars including Toyota's (you call yourself an engineer?), they will need replacing eventually on every vehicle.

Then there's the next issue of price... Technology gets cheaper... 5 years ago we were paying $5000 for LED TV's which you can now buy for $1600. Does that mean they are **** too because they have gotten cheaper? Or just another one of your imbecilic attacks on Ford? Holden's VF commodore is cheaper then the outgoing VE?? Why? Is it inferior to the VE? I don't think so chump!

Furthermore the original Ford Territory had 182 kw, not 184. Also the maximum towing capacity is 2700 kg on the AWD Diesel model, not 2300kg like you report. To be honest your journalism is a joke!

No one else in the industry has the same opinion as you do, your a disgrace to the industry as shown by your replies below. We should all make a complaint to the likes of Channel 7 and 4BC Brisbane with respect to your objectiveness and professionalism as a media outlet. You should withdraw this immediately!!!"

Looks like he has deleted my above post which just shows he doesn't have anything constructive.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #40
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
I agree with most above that hes got a winey voice and when you hear him on the radio on the graveyard shift is always wingeing about something

But hes pretty right on paper about the Territory

I've had a Territory and after I got through the poor quality control from new it was a good reliable car

BUT it was thirsty, it did trash ball joints and suspension bushes and there are better cars for better money.

I don't know what he was getting at though with his Kluger more power less torque same fuel consumption from a Kluger, to me that means the teritory petrol's a better or at worst in the same box as the Kluger in the engine department

And if you take the emotion out of it for the average mum and dad or corporate buyer his comparisons are pretty much right
Really bit you have an SX don't you? You can't compare an SX to an SZII
Old 18-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #41
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't have any any more long gone

The trim level isn't the issue any way, like I said take the ford loving emotion out of it.

And GTP you won't here him ever bag a Mazda product, did you notice how he attempted to compare the kW upgrade of the territory to the Mazda 3. If you ever hear his phone in auto show it doesn't matter what car your contemplating, he'll recommend you check out a Mazda

This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2014, 02:45 AM   #42
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post

Looks like he has deleted my above post which just shows he doesn't have anything constructive.
Great post, please keep re-posting it. I wish I had have said something similar in the first place. He rants about the ZF, yet in his review of the GT-P he labelled it as "sensational".

His style of reporting for his channel is simply to attain video views. He eggs on anyone who comments negatively, in order to gain more publicity through Google searches (which he has admitted). Read his replies to other people's comments in his other videos and you'll see what a bitter bloke he is, well looking at his other videos would only inflate his ego further. I'm not sure why he has such an ego, given his channel has abysmal views and the best he can do now is talk back radio on late nights.

I'd put money on the fact that he'd be reading this thread right now. He seems like one of the types that would Google search his own name regularly.

Quote:
Really bit you have an SX don't you? You can't compare an SX to an SZII
Apparently you can. John has driven plenty of Territory's apparently, but not the one he has just "reviewed".
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #43
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

We had an 07 SYII AWD Ghia for nearly 3 years. And it was a great car. In that time we did 70,000 ish kms and only had schedlued maintenance. A great car.

Replaced by a C250 Benz. Plagued by problems consumed heaps of oil and water. Kept coding up faults and warnings. Spent many many weeks back in the dealership for repairs. And when we sold it, after a bit over 2 1/2 years, because I would not own the thing outside of warranty, I got $34k from an original $78k RRP. And that took months to get. So much for Benz resale. The Terry was better than that.

Yes the Benz has lots of tech and gadgets. But give me a Terry anyday.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #44
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't have any any more long gone

The trim level isn't the issue any way, like I said take the ford loving emotion out of it.

And GTP you won't here him ever bag a Mazda product, did you notice how he attempted to compare the kW upgrade of the territory to the Mazda 3. If you ever hear his phone in auto show it doesn't matter what car your contemplating, he'll recommend you check out a Mazda
Its got nohthing to do with TRIM issues. Its more about the build quality and finish. the SZII is far better finished then an SX for a few reasons.

1) they are only building 80 odd cars a day, back in the hay day of SX they were building 450. The quality is second to none.
2) Lots of the gremlins of the SX have been fixed over time, lower ball joints etc.
3) Fuel ecomony. You cannot compared the fuel economy of an SX to an SZII even in petrol.
Old 19-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #45
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its got nohthing to do with TRIM issues. Its more about the build quality and finish. the SZII is far better finished then an SX for a few reasons.

1) they are only building 80 odd cars a day, back in the hay day of SX they were building 450. The quality is second to none.
2) Lots of the gremlins of the SX have been fixed over time, lower ball joints etc.
3) Fuel ecomony. You cannot compared the fuel economy of an SX to an SZII even in petrol.
Mine was an SYII FWIW, but the point I was making, in the core of it its the same car as 2004

My comment on trim issues had nothing to do with styling it was more to do with quality and lack of it.

My SY was so bad it spent more time through the day at Power Ford during its fist 15,000km than it did out side my office. and it wasnt until I took it to a non dealer mechanic to pay to fix the faults that the car became acceptable

You could argue that that was a dealer issue more than a car issue as all the faults were reported at the 1,000km check, but the the customers see the blue oval, not the dealer name when they look back at there car when its time to replace it.

Yea they have "refined it" but its the same tired old car,

As much as I hate to admit it the guys pretty right, the same tired old 7 seat config that pretty much everyone is doing better now and that's just 1 thing

You've actually backed the shock jock in your fist point. 80 cars now as opposed to 450 in the beginning, that doesn't tell you that the Territory's ship has sailed?

I agree with you on the gremlins front, I had an SYII by my sisters had 4 of these things from an SX - an SZ Diesel and yea the ball joints etc have tided up, however Ford didn't help them self's back in the SX / SY Days, the that's just how it is answer to the poor Quality control saw most of the not rusted on ford supporters look at other options, and even some that were have looked further afield (myself included).

As for fuel economy, I've had only hire car exposure to the SZ series so I can't really comment, and my sister tells me her diesel is quite good and that when she replaces it in June she will buy another diesel car but she says it probably wont be a 5th Territory because its time for a change (FWIW even she a 110% Territory lover admits that the reason she changed colours with every car was so the neighbors would see she had a new car when it arrived because they all look pretty much the same to a non Territory enthusiast.

My wife would have loved another Territory when we replaced it last year and to the most part if she wanted it, she's driving it, & I don't care, but we both agreed that it would be an orphan in 2016 and the used prices on them would be far worse then we went to replace it (some time between 2017 & 2020).

Old 19-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #46
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Mine was an SYII FWIW, but the point I was making, in the core of it its the same car as 2004

My comment on trim issues had nothing to do with styling it was more to do with quality and lack of it.

My SY was so bad it spent more time through the day at Power Ford during its fist 15,000km than it did out side my office. and it wasnt until I took it to a non dealer mechanic to pay to fix the faults that the car became acceptable

You could argue that that was a dealer issue more than a car issue as all the faults were reported at the 1,000km check, but the the customers see the blue oval, not the dealer name when they look back at there car when its time to replace it.

Yea they have "refined it" but its the same tired old car,

As much as I hate to admit it the guys pretty right, the same tired old 7 seat config that pretty much everyone is doing better now and that's just 1 thing

You've actually backed the shock jock in your fist point. 80 cars now as opposed to 450 in the beginning, that doesn't tell you that the Territory's ship has sailed?

I agree with you on the gremlins front, I had an SYII by my sisters had 4 of these things from an SX - an SZ Diesel and yea the ball joints etc have tided up, however Ford didn't help them self's back in the SX / SY Days, the that's just how it is answer to the poor Quality control saw most of the not rusted on ford supporters look at other options, and even some that were have looked further afield (myself included).

As for fuel economy, I've had only hire car exposure to the SZ series so I can't really comment, and my sister tells me her diesel is quite good and that when she replaces it in June she will buy another diesel car but she says it probably wont be a 5th Territory because its time for a change (FWIW even she a 110% Territory lover admits that the reason she changed colours with every car was so the neighbors would see she had a new car when it arrived because they all look pretty much the same to a non Territory enthusiast.

My wife would have loved another Territory when we replaced it last year and to the most part if she wanted it, she's driving it, & I don't care, but we both agreed that it would be an orphan in 2016 and the used prices on them would be far worse then we went to replace it (some time between 2017 & 2020).
Nobody is doubting you had issues with your Territory, as I am sure many others have too. FWIW the lag in mine sh*ts me to tears and I'm annoyed the update didn't bring more farkles. But...

The issue is the absolute crap in that video, statements like "train wreck" and "a dog with fleas" and "a lemon". Now, in your experience, do any of those statements resonate with you?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 19-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #47
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Nobody is doubting you had issues with your Territory, as I am sure many others have too. FWIW the lag in mine sh*ts me to tears and I'm annoyed the update didn't bring more farkles. But...

The issue is the absolute crap in that video, statements like "train wreck" and "a dog with fleas" and "a lemon". Now, in your experience, do any of those statements resonate with you?
No, and no I don't consider it a lemon, or a train wreck (but I am a rusted on ford supporter) like I said most of my problems were due to dealer incompetence (though I doubt a non car person would see it that way) and ball joints and bushes were the only failures I would class as premature on mine.

But I do consider it past its best before date, had

Old 19-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #48
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, and no I don't consider it a lemon, or a train wreck (but I am a rusted on ford supporter) like I said most of my problems were due to dealer incompetence (though I doubt a non car person would see it that way) and ball joints and bushes were the only failures I would class as premature on mine.

But I do consider it past its best before date, had
Why is that??

Its still very competitive in the market, especially in comparison to the Kluger and the Kia.

For me it still drives the best and has a more quality feel about it then the others.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #49
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone who doesnt agree with mr Cadogan can you please report his video on youtube??
Old 19-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #50
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Is this "John Cadogan" the same John Cadogan that was the beneficiary of Victorian taxpayer funds involving a land subdivision on Phillip Island?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pl...820-2s9g0.html

Or a different guy?

Old 19-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #51
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why is that??

Its still very competitive in the market, especially in comparison to the Kluger and the Kia.

For me it still drives the best and has a more quality feel about it then the others.
One of the things that I liked about the Territory when I first purchased it and why its my hire car of choice when I travel for work is its Falcon feel, lets face it its an SUV package that drives very similar to the falcon we all know and love.

but in terms of mum & dad car buyer its not competitive any more its ran its race, that's why you see loads of new Outlanders, X trails Hyandai's etc before you see Territory's, I know none of the cars I just mentioned have any thing like the towing capacity, or power that the Territory does, but the market seems to love them and, people are walking from the territory towards this kind of car. I'm not saying they should be doing this, I'm saying they are doing this. like it or hate it that whats happening, thats why there only doing 80 cars a day and not 450 and thats why its the end of the line for the car

Old 19-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #52
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

John Cadogan was media consultant to Hyundai.
Seems he wants his old job back.
Old 19-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #53
munners

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
Seems he wants his old job back.
Seems like he already has it.
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #54
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One of the things that I liked about the Territory when I first purchased it and why its my hire car of choice when I travel for work is its Falcon feel, lets face it its an SUV package that drives very similar to the falcon we all know and love.

but in terms of mum & dad car buyer its not competitive any more its ran its race, that's why you see loads of new Outlanders, X trails Hyandai's etc before you see Territory's, I know none of the cars I just mentioned have any thing like the towing capacity, or power that the Territory does, but the market seems to love them and, people are walking from the territory towards this kind of car. I'm not saying they should be doing this, I'm saying they are doing this. like it or hate it that whats happening, thats why there only doing 80 cars a day and not 450 and thats why its the end of the line for the car
I think a greater point would be that there is so many more vehicles to choose from now compared to back in 2004 and to expect it to maintain those sales numbers is not reasonable. The top selling car today sells 1/3 the number the top seller achieved 10 years ago.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #55
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon Cadogan's greatest achievement is that he makes the Dog and Lemon Guide look upbeat and positive!

I don't think the Territory has any trouble still holding its own against others in the broad class today. Most people simply don't have very high standards when buying a car. Like why so many Camrys are sold. The Territory is still the unmatched design benchmark for its class (short of BMW and Merc) even after 10 years.

Have to laugh at that little POS the X Trail being suggested as an alternative. It's smaller, drives like a mattress and has heart-stopping acceleration lag, among other points. That alone seems to indicate that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #56
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
I reckon Cadogan's greatest achievement is that he makes the Dog and Lemon Guide look upbeat and positive!

I don't think the Territory has any trouble still holding its own against others in the broad class today. Most people simply don't have very high standards when buying a car. Like why so many Camrys are sold. The Territory is still the unmatched design benchmark for its class (short of BMW and Merc) even after 10 years.

Have to laugh at that little POS the X Trail being suggested as an alternative. It's smaller, drives like a mattress and has heart-stopping acceleration lag, among other points. That alone seems to indicate that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Exactly

And your 1st point backs up your second

People don't seem to care that the falcon / territory is a co portable car because they would rather have one with rat skin leather for the price of cloth etc

Old 19-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #57
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
And its engine dates back to 1999, and actually makes less power today than it did back then.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #58
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

better not tell porsche owners the core of their car is a 1930s vw beetle
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #59
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
better not tell porsche owners the core of their car is a 1930s vw beetle
The 1936 Tatra T97 to be exact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Ledwinka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_97
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #60
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
, people are walking from the territory towards this kind of car. I'm not saying they should be doing this, I'm saying they are doing this. like it or hate it that whats happening, thats why there only doing 80 cars a day and not 450 and thats why its the end of the line for the car
Come on bro......that's exactly why people will flock away from a car....because of imbeciles like this reporter writing such junk.

By the way I saw the new Ford Territory TV add again today and it's AWESOME. Very clever and Funny! Has a crack at all the lameish softroader soccer mum SUV cars it competes against!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post