Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #31
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I stopped reading when they mentioned torque figures on turbo. These people claim to be motoring journalists when they simply cannot get a simple figure, quoted on internet, correct.

Drive.com.au in my humble opinion is electronic defication.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #32
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2

When the BA was launched I wrote a review where I stated that the steering had become too sensitive for the chassis especially in the XT. Under some circumstances it can make the rear of the car feel disassociated to the front. Apart from one journo no one else commented much about it until now. The reason I bring this up is the as the sport variants don't suffer as much as the lower models yet last week the lower models were tested and this directness wasn't comment on. :
I have read with the BA if you through it into a corner at highway speed the backend can feel very sensitive (almost over sensitive) I have experienced the feeling they describe to a mild degree nothing that is over powering or scary though. Is this the same for the BF also? Im assuming's its more so in the XT due to smaller rubber & a tad higher.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #33
blackahcdx

OMG you girls are getting your damn g-strings in a knot over some ****y little review.

WHO CARES?!

you know (or like to think, what ever the case may be :p ) that your car is as good or better.

I agree that drive.com.au isn't the best site out there, some of their stuff is quiet dodgy infact!

but sometimes i think some ppl here take this all to seriously, its not like they killed your mother.

Or is it? :p
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #34
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive.com
Riding on massive 19-inch wheels with low-profile tyres and wearing a front spoiler that appears designed for a race track, not the outback, it was tipped to be the problem child
Makes you wonder how the Holden with a front spoiler that appears to be designed for a race track could survive ruts big enough to harpoon a transmission pan. What a load of poo.
2V powahhhhh
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #35
blue terra
au=gold

I liked the fact they are testing sports cars yet the comodore sits 100mm higher so theoretically it would clear more bumps with ease and would sit as high as a territory. The pricing they gave the ssv was the same price as the xr8 yet the xr8 the only option you need to tick is for the fluffy dice to be put on the rear view mirror. The SS bumper is the love child of an astra & vectra on roids, the falcon has been around for 4 years and ONLY now are holden matching features and equipment levels. So bravo drive lets see what next week's work experience kid comes up with
blue terra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #36
blackahcdx

Hmmm, look at this great Ford "quality" :p

Wonder how that happened?!
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #37
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Perhaps in future Ford should be more selective in who they provide cars to for testing, and closely review test or comparison plans to ensure level playing field/appropriateness before providing a car to the reviewers.

There appears to be no control at present over reviews written by 'testers'. They can write anything, and readers would believe them.

Over the years I have learnt to try ignore what any motoring writers write, as they generally try to make their story more sensational than what it is really, and tend to give readers distorted impressions and comparisons of the cars being tested.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #38
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive never seen such a baised article on vehicles, just shows what an idiot this person is. So hes saying that if the holden had hit those chunks of clay at 80kph nothing would have happened. Some of the reporters are s h i t and this is one of them, very few are good , this is worst one ive seen.
exrtnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #39
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why the hell bother even reading these things? If the Holden boys lose they reckon it's bias to Ford, if Ford boys lose they are bias to Holden. Seriously is anyone going to actually buy a car based on a review? Is the result really going to deter you from test driving a particular model?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #40
VSSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Why the hell bother even reading these things? If the Holden boys lose they reckon it's bias to Ford, if Ford boys lose they are bias to Holden. Seriously is anyone going to actually buy a car based on a review? Is the result really going to deter you from test driving a particular model?
These days it appears it's what keeps this forum going!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #41
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davro_xr6
Could the fact they crashed the falcons be due to the fact that they're used to driving homo-doors and aren't used to a superior car with more power??

And could the wholly biased review be based on the fact the holden financially back drive.com?? Hmmmmm - the aussie public ain't stupid...

The way I see it - with the introduction of the VE, the homo-door boys are only playing catch up - they always have been, and will continue to do so with the introduction of ford's new number in a year or so. In my opinion they started to play the catch up game when ford brought out the beastie Phase 3 GTho... Although I am ford biased, I can still appreciate a good car, and from what I have seen of the cars Holden have produced over the last 6-8 years, they are a far cry from a good car - unless of course someone decides to put $10k of aftermarket equipment under the hood... Even with the VL they had to use a skyline motor to make the car any good... And even still today, in the V8 supercars, there's ford components in engine and driveline... Sorry, just got me a little stirred up after the article, as I'm sure it did with others...
This ^ and the one below have got to be amongst the worst loads of one eyed nonsense I have ever had the misfortune of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Drive has got to be the biggest pile of crap ever. The fact that idiots like Joshua Dowling draw breath in this world sickens me. The reason he found the commodore so comfortable was because he had the cushioning of wads of hundred dollar bills in his back pocket. This is the exact same sort of trash that was printed about the 380 and how superior it was to the ford. Net result; Mitsubishi will close its Australian plant and ditch the 380 entirely.
The fact that these idiots are paid to drive cars is equally offensive, and crashing whilst thrashing two cars because the drivers love holden is an absolute farce. Sales figures will tell the story, and thankfully Toyota are going to kill Holden in the fleet deals. Then where will Holden be? With over 70% of the VZ selling to fleets, what market are they now going to occupy? Most fords are sold to private buyers, and hopefully Ford will discount to smash Holden. Billion dollar baby?
More like Billion dollar ***** up.
BTW, with their reference to plastic as being somewhat inferior, maybe they should take a closer look at the amount of plastic used by Holden. Whilst at it, look where the Holden plastic comes from ahem Korea ahem.
Why don't they take their BA front, 380 rear, camry sides copying asses and do a parent company suicide dive into receivership.

Holden mean a really great deal to Korea, and Sweet FA to Australia.
Such a bitter, twisted and depressed person you are. You really need to get out more. Try some counselling maybe?
Oh and regarding your fleet vs private sales, maybe you should get your facts straight http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=63495
Quote:
But the Commodore's lack of appeal to private buyers is nothing compared with Ford's Falcon. Last year it was the No. 2 selling vehicle in the country but it doesn't even rate in the top 15 favourites among private buyers.
Quote:
The figures reveal that 88 per cent of Falcon buyers are fleet customers, compared with 81 per cent for Commodore
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 05:48 AM   #42
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

someone email drive.com.au again with a complaint !
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #43
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

What goes around comes around guys.... Look they have to talk up the new Falididore, if they didn't they wouldn't be doing there job. I'm sure the head honchos of FORD aren't to worried about these guys as it'll be sparking more interest in the large car market which is in the crappers at the moment. Hopefully the public will make up their own mind by driving both cars. I'm sure when Orion comes out, the comparo will be the Falcon kicks its ***..... but i guess we're going to have to expect the public bashing for a while.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #44
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
This ^ and the one below have got to be amongst the worst loads of one eyed nonsense I have ever had the misfortune of reading.

Such a bitter, twisted and depressed person you are. You really need to get out more. Try some counselling maybe?
Oh and regarding your fleet vs private sales, maybe you should get your facts straight http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=63495
The fleet figures that you reference here are from 2002. That was also the time when Ford was number 2 in terms of total car sales in oz and holden was 3. Ford had 12.7% marketshare and holden has 12.6. That all changed with revisions by holden in pricing and model in order to attract fleet sales. Fleet sales used to account for 53% in 2002 for holden and ford, now it is around 40%. They are both selling more cars than in 2002. So where does this put your 88%?

Furthermore, since the price of oil has risen over 600% since 2001 Holden have discounted very heavily for the fleet market. And the figures you speak of are from drive.com.au which as this post has already highlighted is very questionable. They even elude to the figures not being available to the public yet because a so called journo says that this is the way things are, you believe them. Whatever floats your boat.

BTW, even based on your assertion that ford sell more to fleets, they still have more prospect for sales based on fuel consumption alone. The fact is that Holden have either stayed the same or increased fuel consumption depending on the model, and with the new camry, as well as aurion on the way, fuel consumption will be a big factor in determining sales. Ford have pre-empted this and as such have already made significant fuel savings. Holden have not done anything in this area.

So, if all you can seem to do is come onto a ford forum and in some obsequious way try and defend Holden (judging by most of your posts), then I submit that you are the one who needs a life. Disappear to LS1 and peddle your wares amongst your peers.

As for counselling, I don't need it because I drive fords. I'm happy with my lot in life and quite frankly, I am far too successful to bother with someone who often makes his opinions heard based purely on some primal emotion of loving Holden. If you love it, good for you. I'm not on a Holden forum bagging the hell out of Holden; I'm on a ford forum making my opinions heard from a business perspective. Quite frankly, if you're as intelligent as you seem to think you are, ask yourself why Holden has tried to sully the waters to convince people their car is cheaper. Ask yourself which other business brings in a new model and lowers the price substantially?

I'd suggest that you take your Oedipus complex to the nearest psychiatrist and ask yourself why you feel the need to habitually **** people off. To think I would even enter a battle of wit with an unarmed man like yourself is laughable - especially when your arguement is entirely based on 4 year old data from a dubious source.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #45
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Another thing stevez, have a look at drive.com.au, every second article is about how good Holden are. Do you not think that there is such a thing as cheque book journalism going on here? With a parent company requiring federal government assistance and being told to get stuffed by Delphi, do you not think that marketing a vehicle by any and all means possible will not translate to sales?

Looking at the picture above of the two xr's and the holden I have now changed my opinion on the ve. I hate it. It looks far too awkward and looks as though it is a falcon that has been squeezed at the sides to make it narrower and taller. Honestly, compare the two vehicles on either side then look at the holden. Korean crap at its finest. They've even put it ahead of the two fords to make it look bigger and it still looks like a vectra. Look at the blokes driving all 3. One of them looks like he's leaning into the passenger area. Now I suppose we'll hear about Holden being smaller and therefore more efficient. And don't even get me started on the chock-knob in the Stone age Holden commercial. Billion dollar baby? More like billion dollar botch job biotch.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #46
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

amen to that my friend!

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #47
FLYXR6
Silvester

I think that about covers holden lovers bashing ford drivers on there own website!!!!!

I like them sleek and unnoticable, That is untill the pedal is pushed.

www.myspace.com/flyxr6 Myspace URL
www.myspace.com/slvstr01 My cars Myspace URL
FLYXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #48
FLYXR6
Silvester

how do they say it??

Checkmate!!!!!

bwahahahahahah

Old 09-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #49
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Some silly comments from both sides of the camp....

Like the thread on ls1, this whole article just needs ignored. Its 10% factual, 90% drivel.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #50
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a shining piece or journalism, but certainly not the worse and the outcome that a brand new car would beat a car designed in 1998 and revised in 2002 is hardly surprising.

To be fair to drive.com I await the howls of complaint from this forum if they dare to rate the new Orion Falcon as being good or better then a Commodore. Presumably the accusation will be that Ford are paying for their stories.

Really guys, get over it.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #51
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

ltd you have a rather large chip on your shoulder and i think its obvious that your deep seated hate for holden is because they have had the wood over ford for years ith 90% of its models.
As someone else said, its just a comparo, Orion will be given good reviews over the VE in due time - in the mean time i reccomend a weekend away at a health spa to try and dim that vein thats throbbing in your jugular.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #52
ef_classic
Banned

In relation to that picture with the 2 fords and 1 holden, look at the xr6t where they hit a lump of clay.
It must have been a decent mound of clay to do that, and a stupid driver to not try and dodge it.

Its a sad day for Holden if the outcome was persuaded in the form of money from GM Holden, but would not surprise me.
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #53
FLYXR6
Silvester

i think people are missing ltd point..... some on eon here tried to bull**** their way through an argument with stats... all he did was point out tht the stats were 4 yrs old and wrong......

As for the story who cares.. i'm more upset that they trashed to lovely XR's.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #54
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

It should of had at the top "The following is a pay presentation"
Old 09-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #55
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
ltd you have a rather large chip on your shoulder and i think its obvious that your deep seated hate for holden is because they have had the wood over ford for years ith 90% of its models.
As someone else said, its just a comparo, Orion will be given good reviews over the VE in due time - in the mean time i reccomend a weekend away at a health spa to try and dim that vein thats throbbing in your jugular.
SSBUB, I couldn't really care about the comparison.
I'd be more worried if Holden failed. What got my ire is someone telling me that I am wrong with botched statistics. On top of that, to tell me to seek counselling when the argument presented is flawed and unjustified also tends to grate in a way that would be akin to me espousing ford nonsense on LS1. Frankly, I do not have to justify myself to anyone but the mods of this site and calling me either directly or indirectly a liar is not going to elicit a nice response.

In relation to chequebook journalism, it is a wide known fact that motoring companies will offer favours either by way of money or vehicles to provoke a favourable response to their new model vehicles. The saturation coverage given to Holden by the boys at drive and cars guide is enough to warrant at least one person raising a question about their supposed impartiality.

As for having a chip on my shoulder, you can choose whatever cliché you like but the fact remains that I am on a ford site and I am defending fords reputation against two paid so called journalists who took pride in thrashing the oppositions car to breaking point and then wrote a nonsensical bile inducing load of crap about it.

That aside I have complimented Holden in many of my posts, even though I do not like Holden on many levels, most importantly experience. Of the two Holdens I have owned (one very briefly) I have had nothing but hyped up salesmanship and non-existent service. One caprice I had went through 3 gen 3 engines and still was drinking gallons of oil per month when I finally got rid of it. Assurances that it was a one off and they would rectify the situation with a heavily discounted new one and the same problems occurred. The fact that they failed on every level to produce a satisfying outcome to my woes and only gave me satisfaction upon the filing of a claim against them spoke volumes to me about their ethics as a company and the products they sell. For me it was no great hassle, I was able to afford action against them but what bothers me is that their blasé attitude may be affecting many other owners with limited resources.

Anyway, many people on this site have had problems with ford and I don't deride them in an attempt to minimise their problems. In many instances on this site, there has been genuine concern by most members and helpful suggestions. What is wrong though is Holden owners coming here with no other intent than to rubbish Ford. Again, I do not partake in any discussions on LS1 or any Holden site as that would be disingenuous of me to do so and quite frankly, is a complete and utter waste of time. Those who think they can walk into a Ford club and convert everyone to Holden and vice versa are deluding themselves.

Finally, in my opinion Ford are not perfect by any measure, but they are a damn sight better than Holden who promote in my opinion what has been an inferior product, but with a massive emphasis on marketing. Feel free to disagree, I don't expect everyone to agree with me on anything - and the fact that you may disagree with me in no way lessens my opinion of you. But tell me I need counselling for a view that means little or nothing to anyone else then I will defend myself.

Quote: