Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #31
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Default Re: Why does the Falcon struggle to sell?

Answer to the topic: They're not really made particularly well, they like a drink of fuel (never been in an FG though), they have become very bland looking and they are probably perceived as more of an old man's car.

Just how people view it. Not my opinion, except about the fuel one.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #32
krzysiek

I definitely don't think the FGs look like an old mans car! With EcoLPI around the corner, you can say good bye to the worries about fuel (will be cheap to run). As for build quality, I wouldn't know.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #33
75LTD
LTD-Lifes Top Dream

In my humble opinion, and I know No One will agree with me....it's because they shot they're load with the XB. Never been a better looking Falcon ever since. Build the XB today with the modern running gear & features but built out of real Steel, not plastic & alfoil and see how we go. If people in power would wake up to themselves & the benefits of LPG /LNG, we could have the heaviest cars going ( if that was a bizzarre wish someone might have) and it would cost stuff all. So we could go back to real cars instead of jazzed up shopping trolleys. As I said, few will agree but I live in hope!
Old 18-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #34
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
I definitely don't think the FGs look like an old mans car! With EcoLPI around the corner, you can say good bye to the worries about fuel (will be cheap to run). As for build quality, I wouldn't know.
I completely agree with you, I was pointing out what most of "Joe Public" perceives.
Personally I think (for the most part) the FG looks great, nice and modern and I'm sure its better on fuel than a lot of 80's 4bangers.
However, you can't convince people that Falcons are cheap to own.

They really are perceived to be an old man's car (or at the very least a bogans car).
I drive an XR6 (no its not fancy) but most of my mates reckon their bog-stock commodores would thrash it just because its a "boring falcon".

Holdens are modern, go very fast, are comfortable, cheap to run and have fancy "SIDI direct injection" engines... at least thats what I see on the ads.

This is just the way you herd sheep, Holden are great Shepherds.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #35
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
so young people are bogans?

I see alot of bogans driving fords. Mostly they are driving xy gtho replica's. They are normally wearing thongs, old jeans, flanno shirt with a packet of winnie blues in there pocket and the mandatory mullet. They constantly tell anyone they can how awesome the xy's are and how nothing can beat it.
One difference between holden and ford fans is that ford fans love dwelling on what ford have done in the past, whereas holden fans are liking what is on sale now.
You're starting to show your true colours; it's time you had another rinse.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #36
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75LTD
In my humble opinion, and I know No One will agree with me....it's because they shot they're load with the XB. Never been a better looking Falcon ever since. Build the XB today with the modern running gear & features but built out of real Steel, not plastic & alfoil and see how we go. If people in power would wake up to themselves & the benefits of LPG /LNG, we could have the heaviest cars going ( if that was a bizzarre wish someone might have) and it would cost stuff all. So we could go back to real cars instead of jazzed up shopping trolleys. As I said, few will agree but I live in hope!
Mmm, gotta love those old "steel" cars, especially when the dashboard gets rammed into your teeth when you crash into a tree....

That theory doesn't explain why some particularly lacklustre models of Falcon (EA, BA) sold really well. Better than the XB in fact.

Both the Commodore and Falcon have poor build quality as far as the peripherals go and are not competitive with global cars. But it doesn't explain why the Commodore continues to outsell Falcon. I guess people are just more forgiving of Holden despite their shortcomings. That being said, both are selling a fraction of what they used to in the private sales market so neither are doing well.

I'd say the difference in sales between Falcon and Commodore is much the same as it was 10-15 years ago in their heyday. Both have probably dropped a similar amount.
Old 18-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #37
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
You're starting to show your true colours; it's time you had another rinse.
what i said is true but. I wasn't saying holden is better just saying how i see it. Both makes have bogans as customers so people should just get over it.
Old 18-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #38
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Have look out there..
The four cylinder cars can drive interstate now and last 300,000 klrs why would you want 4.0 car these days ???
Be it Holden or Mercedes...
The Mazda 3/ 6 for example drive very well ...
For $22 to $34K...With possibly better trade...
New car every 2/3 years and possibly still in front budget wise..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 18-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #39
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
what i said is true but. I wasn't saying holden is better just saying how i see it. Both makes have bogans as customers so people should just get over it.
Truth? Dude, I wouldn't believe you if you told me you were lying.
Old 18-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #40
burnz
VFII SS UTE

well done at the tender age of three..
Quote:
Henry Ford was born on the outskirts of Rockhampton in 1922. In 1925, he established Ford Australia
Old 18-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #41
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I'd say the difference in sales between Falcon and Commodore is much the same as it was 10-15 years ago in their heyday. Both have probably dropped a similar amount.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/images/u...lcon_sales.jpg

certainly seems that way. what's interesting is just how unliked the AU was... the sudden fall on its release, and the resurgence on its replacement.
Old 18-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #42
Bobman
Regulator

Just look at the threads here with people having problems with poor air con performance, broken blend door? that has plagued Falcons from EA-BA, low quality plastic trim (even AU was better).

Then you have shocking customer service at dealerships and poor marketing. It's no wonder it doesn't sell that well (sad to say).

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 18-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #43
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the bland interior and short warranty have just lost me my chance of buying a FG XR6T.

i took one for a blast yesterday - awesome car. my wife went back later in the arvo for a test drive and said it goes great, but it will be wasted 99% of the time, and the interior looks bland compared to the car she wants. the budget doesn't stretch to a new xr6t so i was looking at a 1 or 2 year old car which leaves only 12 months warranty, her car has 5 years unlimited k's warranty on it..

looks like i'll be signing on a new hyundai ix35 (2L diesel) next week some time :(
Old 18-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #44
ford lover

bathurst plays a big part.
Old 18-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #45
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so young people are bogans?

I see alot of bogans driving fords. Mostly they are driving xy gtho replica's. They are normally wearing thongs, old jeans, flanno shirt with a packet of winnie blues in there pocket and the mandatory mullet. They constantly tell anyone they can how awesome the xy's are and how nothing can beat it.
One difference between holden and ford fans is that ford fans love dwelling on what ford have done in the past, whereas holden fans are liking what is on sale now.
True. except the mullets seem to have gone these days.
Old 18-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #46
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i belive ford lost there current sales starting back 27 years ago when the dropped the v8 after the xe falcon no hero car nothing to beat the commodore every kid growing up since then has seen holden hand it to ford in performance and there the ones now buying new cars

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

Old 18-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #47
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because for a long time Ford couldn't be bothered to advertise it in a big way?
For a couple of decades now people say the motoring magazines are biased towards Holden with "cover cars", but if Ford made a few more interesting cars and pushed a bit, they might get more coverage.
Take the G6E like we own...I hadn't seen any advertising about them, so had no idea what the difference between them and a normal Falcon was. Neither does anyone else apart from some real die hard Ford fans, by the way we have to constantly explain to people what it is we own...you can't just say "we own a G6E" because that is meaningless to most people, whereas before you could say "We own a Fairmont Ghia" and people would immediately know what you meant, even if they weren't Ford fans. I've taken to just saying "we own a Fairmont", to avoid the blank looks...
Spending a little on brand awareness might be a good thing...

It isn't just the lack of a V8...the vast majority of drivers don't buy V8s...but for some reason people who will never and have never owned a V8 seem to like the idea of a V8 existing somewhere in the range. People who town the cliche "big things" don't buy an FPV, they buy a Landcruiser or Patrol or an F250. Anyone with half a brain knows that the Bathurst cars, Ford and Holden, bear only a passing resemblance to the road going cars.
Maybe Ford needs to put more push into the great turbo six and work on some real optional engines like diesel and turbo fours, and really hammer the important problems of today: fuel economy. Spend the development money waster on V8's that only a tiny minority of drivers buy, and spend it on making the damn thing lighter! There's no reason that a Falcon has to weigh 1800kg.
Old 18-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #48
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its all public perception. That's all, is there build quality issues? Yes, but no where near as bad as people make out. Is falcon lagging behind in terms of equipment? Arguable, Does not having a touch screen really stop someone buying a car? If so, then yes, Ford is lagging behind.

This forum continues to be a clear example of why ford shouldn't bother trying to please anyone. They obviously can't do it and no, im not entirely sure why, some might say the spraybot didn't paint that little bit in under the bonnet which starts them ranting, maybe a falcon killed your daddy and you have a personal vendetta against it. I don't know, what I do know is there a pretty decent car for the money, they do the job you buy them for and if your really not that happy (for a genuine reason) then you bought the wrong car, which is most likely your fault for not going out there and finding the car that actually suits your needs.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
Old 18-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #49
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I think Ford's problem is that the large car market is shrinking and Holden have a better product (not a better engineered motor vehicle, nor one that I think is more attractive) but a better product: it's the overall experience from the first time you see an ad on tv or a picture in the paper, to when you the Commodore in the flesh and say wow! Love it or hate it's very in your face, where the Falcon is more subtle and refined.

Disclaimer: I do want the Falcon to survive though, and hope it goes global and I wouldn't buy a Commodore (especially a VE)
Old 18-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #50
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
Marketing, pure and simple. We all know the negative stereotypes, it's up to Ford to put the myths to bed with some honest marketing. I love my FGXR6, and when people drive it their first comment is how good it is. Ford need to kill GM with some positive advertising. Holden are still flogging VE Holdens on TV as though they're just been released.
Ford are extensively into marketing. Everytime they brush off their responsibilities under warranty or allow lousy dealers to still sell and service under their brand, the word of mouth marketing drives another nail in the coffin of local production.

The new Territory will never reach the sales levels of the first because the rust issues and ball joint issues and how appallingly Ford handled the latter will ensure that the reputation of the new car will not outlive its past.

Thats marketing and thats the only marketing Ford is good at. No fancy tv ad will ever undo that.
Old 18-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #51
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Its all public perception. That's all, is there build quality issues? Yes, but no where near as bad as people make out. Is falcon lagging behind in terms of equipment? Arguable, Does not having a touch screen really stop someone buying a car? If so, then yes, Ford is lagging behind.

This forum continues to be a clear example of why ford shouldn't bother trying to please anyone. They obviously can't do it and no, im not entirely sure why, some might say the spraybot didn't paint that little bit in under the bonnet which starts them ranting, maybe a falcon killed your daddy and you have a personal vendetta against it. I don't know, what I do know is there a pretty decent car for the money, they do the job you buy them for and if your really not that happy (for a genuine reason) then you bought the wrong car, which is most likely your fault for not going out there and finding the car that actually suits your needs.
I think that translated into nah nah nah can't hear you. Which ironically is what Ford executives, with the odd exception have been doing to the Falcons market share and the issues it represented for years.

Falcon is an honest car, let down by a corporate culture that says burning through customers is ok, as long as their is a sucker ready to forgive and and forget for the next product cycle. It worked in the 70s so why not now? Problem is its getting harder to find people like willing to do that and even the faithful are questioning why its a good idea that their Falcon is going back for the third warranty claim and why can't they just build the cars better.

Fords answer won't be to fix the culture or the product, but to import instead.

The Ford faithful when then justify that product and its low market share.

Rinse and repeat.

I'm not tired of Falcon, but I am tired of some people on here pretending it doesn't have issues thanks to the corporate culture of those who make it. Maybe if we had all said enough years ago, Ford wouldn't have allowed Falcon and the Ford dealer network to get in the mess it is now.

People are not making bad stuff up about their experiences with Falcon and Territory and even if you thought that, the overwhelming amount of comments on these forums over many years is hard evidence you got it wrong.

FG is unquestionably the best Falcon ever made. A couple more grand spent on materials and finish and a commitment to a culture at Ford that puts customers first would make it an excellent, world class product. So my questions is why isn't that happening, instead of excusing Ford for dropping the ball?
Dan

Last edited by DanielXR8; 18-06-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 18-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #52
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if your going to write somethings that you should get the facts right first! To call poeple bogans because they support the aussie car market & their country is just bulls**t! This bloke has probably never been to bathurst & would`nt know a good day of racing if he fell over it! Does that mean if he goes to the gay madigra he`s gay? I think not! It reminds me of an old saying, opinions are like ar**holes everybody has got one! I believe that your not a person with a closed mind & no talent,from one of your so called bogan freinds!
Old 18-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #53
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
I think that translated into nah nah nah can't hear you. Which ironically is what Ford executives, with the odd exception have been doing to the Falcons market share and the issues it represented for years.

Falcon is an honest car, let down by a corporate culture that says burning through customers is ok, as long as their is a sucker ready to forgive and and forget for the next product cycle. It worked in the 70s so why not now? Problem is its getting harder to find people like willing to do that and even the faithful are questioning why its a good idea that their Falcon is going back for the third warranty claim and why can't they just build the cars better.

Fords answer won't be to fix the culture or the product, but to import instead.

The Ford faithful when then justify that product and its low market share.

Rinse and repeat.

I'm not tired of Falcon, but I am of everyone on here pretending it doesn't have issues thanks to the corporate culture of those who make it. Maybe if we had all said enough years ago, Ford wouldn't have allowed Falcon and the Ford dealer network to get in the mess it is now.

Dan
Well put dan!
Old 18-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #54
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

When sales of a five year old VE Commodore continues to spank a three year old FG Falcon,
then I think it's time to wave the white flag and find out what today's buyers really want.

I have no answers to Falcon woeful sales, I just think Ford has a better chance with Territory,
go after as many sales as possible with it and get T6 SUV ASAP, try something different for a change..
Old 18-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #55
ea_boss_05

Part of the problem is how long you have to wait to take delivery. In mid May my son bought a new XR6T ute with extras, and they are telling him delivery might be mid July, so that means mid August. Now if I hadn't brainwashed him for 22 years and threatened to disown him if he ever bought a Holden he would have jumped ship. So how many sale are they losing to the buyers who want their car now.
The only way you can get a quick delivery is if you buy a XT or XR6 with no extras.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #56
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Because it has become popular amongst the Australian population to sh!tcan the Falcon and all those who associate with it. Here is just one recent example:

http://macrobusiness.com.au/2011/06/...bility-crisis/
funiest thing i've read for a while. very tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously
Old 18-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #57
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Truth? Dude, I wouldn't believe you if you told me you were lying.
ouch! Im guessing my example of the ford bogan hit a little to close to home then?
Don't worry shazza still thinks your cool.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

FG has the lowest Things Gone Wrong per 1000 cars made (TGW's) rating for Falcon ever, by a fair way. Its even rated better than VE and Camry/Aurion.

But don't let the thruth get in the way of a good story. Problem for Ford is those industry ratings are provided in a gentlemans agreement between the manufacturers, so they can't be used in advertising for example.

Perception is the killer, not the reality. Problem is when a problem does arise, the dealerships take what should be a simple warranty fix and turn it into a nightmare, or an excuse not to fix it. Idiots.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #59
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
ouch! Im guessing my example of the ford bogan hit a little to close to home then?
Funny how someone who would use 38l in their username has a right to comment on being cool. Is a V8 too manly for you?

The 3.8 was a heap of junk, one of the roughest, most unrefined boat anchors ever made. Like a washing machine full of spanners.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #60
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yea...er... good one.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Closed Thread