Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #31
GTP290

do they suffer from heat soak after a few hard runs, how much would that affect there performance? What I dont get is they claim diesels are an enviromentaly friendly vehicle, but many health experts claim that the most harmfull fumes in our air come from diesel fuel, no wonder everyones confused.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #32
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
It's 4 cylinders short of an 8 too, so it's a pretty good effort.
plus a turbo and 150 nm of torque short not even close
so its nothing to write home about.

The new isuzu getting 1400km to the tank thats an achivement.

Last edited by snappy84; 05-12-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: had to be said
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #33
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Have you been in a new model diesel ?
Here's mine (note redline), I'd like to see a Boss V8 double it....
Hahaha.. Nice. But if you knew where I worked, 5K for a diesel, man, you start heading for the hill's at 3.5k-4k.
I'd be surprised if it get's past 5k on a flat road flat knacker. Must be made with lightweight materials to get that.
Probably on a down hill grade, with a low gear chosen, might give you the over rev (over 5K). You'd be hearing engine metal sounds by then.

Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #34
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Modern diesels go hard compared to early truck type engines..
The new Hino and Isuzu trucks we have at work go well compared to the older models.. NO smoke either..
Renault have a REAL good diesel...
I know a guy who holes a Nissan Patrol diesel like above...
Did it going though a stream.. Water doesn't compress very well !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #35
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
Was reading a review/news piece on the new Mazda 6 diesel that is coming to Aus in the paper today (think its Carsguide). In the article it states "Mazda claims the new 2.2-litre diesel will out accelerate the locally grown V8 performance sedans from Ford and Holden in fourth gear from 80km/h to 120km/h."

The new 6 is powered by a 2.2L turbo dieselwith 136kw @ 3500rpm and 400Nm from 1800-3000rpm and does 0-100km/h in 8.5secs.

What say you?
I read that a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating and honestly, this thread should be in the humour section! (if there is one on this site)

A BOSS 315 makes over 400Nm from idle, how on earth is a diesel powered Mazda supposed to beat it with a measly 182HP?...not going to happen.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 AM   #36
LPG EF2 GLI
Starter Motor

Just wonderin', all you diesel lovers who think modern diesels are fast, have you actually ever been in a modern v8 powered car? I think you might be surprised there too.

If petrol technology matched that of diesel (i.e. turbo, direct-injection), diesel wouldn't have a hope in the world of matching petrol anywhere in the rev range. Diesels have less bottom end-torque than petrol, a bit of mid-range, and absolutely no top-end.

So let's compare turbo with turbo, direct injection with direct injection, with both petrol and diesel engines of the same capacity, and see which comes out on top...
LPG EF2 GLI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #37
BlackLS
yum

Maybe they were factoring the V8 auto sitting in drive. So you need to factor the kickdown time.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 AM   #38
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

FFS, what a waste of, well, something.

I'll give a dirty little diesel crud box a run, any run. Go away tree huggers and hug your trees. Leave the racing talk to those that don't buy a 4 piston turdo oil burner to save some fuel, or the planet.

What a friggin joke.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 07:02 AM   #39
burnz
VFII SS UTE

renault (Mack) allway's had good diesel

it's taken a long time for the rest of the world in diesel land to catch up to
cummin's, cat, detroit, perkins.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #40
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
Was reading a review/news piece on the new Mazda 6 diesel that is coming to Aus in the paper today (think its Carsguide). In the article it states "Mazda claims the new 2.2-litre diesel will out accelerate the locally grown V8 performance sedans from Ford and Holden in fourth gear from 80km/h to 120km/h."

The new 6 is powered by a 2.2L turbo dieselwith 136kw @ 3500rpm and 400Nm from 1800-3000rpm and does 0-100km/h in 8.5secs.

What say you?
I know that with the Ford V8's, going about 80km/h, you can still shift into second, and with that said, good luck to the Mazda.

Seeing as the Mazda weighs about the same as my car, which only produces 356nm, and I have never been able to overtake a V8, I highly doubt a car with about 40 more nm of torque, AND in front-wheel-drive could do it. My car also gets to 100km/h quicker than that Mazda claims, so its just very doubtful.

I drive a Forte.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #41
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Ahh ok, so its a normal small high speed diesel motor. (yes i see the redline) Does it die in the *** like the Ranger diesel does at the top end?
Ofcourse it does, but you don't have to slip the clutch when towing 3000kg uphill, just let it out and away you go.

An it will use 30% less fuel than a Falcon around town.

Horses for Courses...
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #42
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPG EF2 GLI
Diesels have less bottom end-torque than petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Our 307 has 320Nm of torque on tap from 1750rpm through to about 4000rpm.
I'd like to see a non-turbo petrol car that has their peak torque available at 1750rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I'll give a dirty little diesel...
After we had driven 17,000kms in the 307, I ran my finger inside the tail pipe and it came out clean. You'd be surprised how clean modern diesel's actually are, especially ones equipped with particulate filters.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #43
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
No doubt . But the mazda still has less torque than or aussie 8's
You forgot they have less weight to move also.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #44
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Modern diesels go hard compared to early truck type engines..
The new Hino and Isuzu trucks we have at work go well compared to the older models.. NO smoke either..
True, the 06 Hino I drive has no smoke at all unless I use the exhaust brake. Even then it's a little puff then it's clean. It is gutless though as are most hino's I've driven. 3500rpm @ 100kph all day long but don't let the lackerband unwind

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #45
bd737

2.2 litre petrol turbo as advanced as that 2.2 litre diesel turbo, and the petrol will have it.

As for it beating a local V8 80-120, maybe in 1982...
Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #46
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Kerb weight around 1540kg, motivated by 400Nm at 260Nm/tonne....around the 1750kg mark at (how can Ford still have TBC on the website for released cards) motivated by 520Nm at near 300Nm/tonne (lets be kind and take XR8). Not that much in it....but then there is gearing, final drive, yadda yadda....maybe the thing just has a sweet spot at 80-120 where most are making a gear change or two.

Either way, its getting everyone talking about the thing so it worked.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #47
bd737

Torque isn't the be-all and end-all though like these diesel fans think - power (torque multiplication) is important too. And the Mazda falls well short.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #48
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP290
do they suffer from heat soak after a few hard runs, how much would that affect there performance? What I dont get is they claim diesels are an enviromentaly friendly vehicle, but many health experts claim that the most harmfull fumes in our air come from diesel fuel, no wonder everyones confused.
Tier 3 & 4 diesels have reduced the NoX gas that comes from the exhaust so that is why they have become enviornmentally friendly. The earlier diesels they worked on reducing the particulate from the engine and this is why they dont run black smoke like the old one's do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPG EF2 GLI
Just wonderin', all you diesel lovers who think modern diesels are fast, have you actually ever been in a modern v8 powered car? I think you might be surprised there too.

If petrol technology matched that of diesel (i.e. turbo, direct-injection), diesel wouldn't have a hope in the world of matching petrol anywhere in the rev range. Diesels have less bottom end-torque than petrol, a bit of mid-range, and absolutely no top-end.

So let's compare turbo with turbo, direct injection with direct injection, with both petrol and diesel engines of the same capacity, and see which comes out on top...
VW is saying with the new DSC transmissions coming out petrol will be cheaper to run. Mind you the head of VW said that diesels were a waste of money in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
renault (Mack) allway's had good diesel

it's taken a long time for the rest of the world in diesel land to catch up to
cummin's, cat, detroit, perkins.
lol, CAT is one of the leading companies in manufacturing diesel engines. Anyway half the engines in their models are Cummins.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #49
1TUFFUTE
Banned

bunch of tossers. Chuck it on the track an watch the figures climb an climb as the diesel heats up. Look out aussie muscle cars its diesel to the rescue...maybe holden could bolt one in their hsvs to keep up with the fpvs
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #50
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
FFS, what a waste of, well, something.

I'll give a dirty little diesel crud box a run, any run. Go away tree huggers and hug your trees. Leave the racing talk to those that don't buy a 4 piston turdo oil burner to save some fuel, or the planet.

What a friggin joke.
maybe we should look back at LeMans and see what position the "Tree Huggers" were placed at the finish line.
Oh, thats right, FIRST by a load of laps.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #51
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got absolutely smoked by a modded VW Polo TDi a few weeks ago. Definitely have some poke in them those turbo diesels!
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #52
gtfpv
GT

everyone repeat after me . MAZADADADADADADADA MAZADADADADADA, KATAKATA BROOM KATA KATA BROOM. oh yes and turbo bypass PSSSS.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #53
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

FFS. Some people argue over the smallest detail. Ever heard of horses for courses. Yes the Mazda 6 diesel will have some go between 80 - 120. Yes a V8 will have some almost everywhere. They arent claiming the diesel is quicker overall. Get over it. The diesel will suit some people. A V8 will suit some people. Who really cares either way!
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #54
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
maybe we should look back at LeMans and see what position the "Tree Huggers" were placed at the finish line.
Oh, thats right, FIRST by a load of laps.
I think that they might have taken all three positions on the podium. Audi first, Peugeot second and third. And they had 4 out of the top 5 being diesels.
http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans...ccueil_gb.html
Old 07-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #55
plext
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
....Here's mine....
'Sif it's that clean.

As to the subject at hand, it's fairly typical advertising bumf with the speed and gear selection criteria. The Mazda quite likely has a different final drive ratio making gear for gear comparisons fairly pointless. The real question is "under optimal conditions and any gear(s), which is faster?" which I would suggest is a slightly different ball game.

It's the usual advertising industry smoke and mirrors, I see nothing to get worked up about.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #56
bd737

LeMans is an endurance race diesels are suited to. A diesel powered V8 supercar around Bathurst on the other hand?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #57
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

...can't wait for the 2015 FPV GT-D with the "All New" 3.0L TDCi

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
...can't wait for the 2015 FPV GT-D with the "All New" 3.0L TDCi

With the claim that we can beat HSV in the 80-120km drag!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #59
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
With the claim that we can beat HSV in the 80-120km drag!

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #60
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
I read that a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating and honestly, this thread should be in the humour section! (if there is one on this site)

A BOSS 315 makes over 400Nm from idle, how on earth is a diesel powered Mazda supposed to beat it with a measly 182HP?...not going to happen.
But does the Mazda have a weight advantage.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post