Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #31
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UPDATE: Well the new engine is arriving tomorrow morning all the way from Deer Park Wreckers in the western suburbs. It's pretty good that they deliver to the other side of Melbourne! I'll get some pics tomorrow night. It's an AU engine, just a regular intech one. I told them to get me one with low kay's so hopefully they do.

As for the engine bay, I decided to paint it in gloss black. Should look ok plus it works out cheaper than painting it blue cause you don't have to spray clear coat over the black. Over the last week Sunny and I have ripped everything out of the engine bay, degreased/high pressured everything and sanded it back. At the moment it looks like an absoloute mess as you can see below.

With a coat of paint it should come up sweet.....although it looks like crap at the moment, the surface is actually pretty smooth, it's just that the engine bay has had 3 different colours over the years and my battery virtually exploded before I took the engine out and the acid ate into everything.

On another topic, I'm wondering whether to replace the clutch while the engine is out. It's an RPM heavy duty clutch that seemed ok before but used to slip a bit when the turbo's were on the car. Here's a pic, dunno if you guys can tell if it's shagged just by looking at it???? The grooves look pretty worn down but I never saw it when it was new so I don't know how deep they are supposed to be.

If it's no good, I was thinking about getting an Xtreme Clutch. http://www.xtremeclutch.com.au/ They seem to have a good selection. Does anyone know what kind of price I'd be looking at to get one of their clutch kits? I tried ringing their VIC rep today but it went to message bank :(

cheers
Doug.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:31 PM   #32
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which clutch are you looking at mate? I can get you a clutch out of them cheap. Let me know which type you're after and I get you some prices.

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #33
Gunns
Banned

Doug, good work on the engine bay, want to redo mine when you are finished.
That clutch has seen better days, It should have nice deep ridges on it, and the marks from the pressure plate don't look to good. I would replace it. Speek to Easprint as he should be able to get you a good deal on a new clutch.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #34
LUXO_8
windsor user

that looks pretty worn to me...

its suposed to have a fair bit of friction material ( like a brake pad) and that looks like its had metal - metal contact...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #35
InitialD
Low and Loud

Good work on the enginebay doug ;) Should look mad when its done... gotta give you a 10 for the effort

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:50 PM   #36
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys, looks like i'll be replacing the clutch then! Doh, more money :(
Old 09-08-2005, 08:38 AM   #37
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yay go Doug!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:11 AM   #38
steven95falc

hey sphell can you sing out and post a write up up once you have the nos fitted as its something ive been thinking of and are curious as to how it goes before i spend the cash
steven95falc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #39
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven95falc
hey sphell can you sing out and post a write up up once you have the nos fitted as its something ive been thinking of and are curious as to how it goes before i spend the cash

yeah no worries mate. I was looking on fordmods.com and there is a guy on there with a 5.0lt EF and with a few mods it pulls 148rwkw and with the NOS shot 216rwkw!!! Runs a 13.2 quarter on street tyres, stock auto + shift kit. I can't wait!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #40
EFFalcon
Last warning

is that the Blue Ghia?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #41
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
is that the Blue Ghia?
yep.

update: This morning the engine got dropped off. It's got 132000k's on it. Here's a few pics. Not sure what series AU it's out of.....the number on the head is WR2A-6090-AB. Can anyone tell what series it is by that number? It also has the sensor on the back of the cylinder head which someone told me is only on series 3 AU's???? Seems like a lot of kay's for a series 3 though.

Here's the sensor on the back of the head. What does it do anyway?

Also picked up my new Walbro 255lt/hr fuel pump that I got off ebay. It's an intank design that will fit with a few modifications to the Ford bracket.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:54 PM   #42
EFFalcon
Last warning

isnt the sensor on the back a temp sensor.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:54 PM   #43
LUXO_8
windsor user

dont know what it would be

knock sensor?
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 11:00 PM   #44
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hus said it's some sort of temp sensor but I'm not sure if it senses coolant or actual cylinder head temp then makes timing changes accordingly??? I dunno. Doesn't really matter i'm not gonna use it but I'd just like to know or find out what series motor it is.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #45
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

i did the exact same "jack into sump" procedure when my EB was my mummy's. got the motor rebuilt too... bloody curvy crossmembers

Should go pretty well with just the au motor, i just hope you get that nitro setup by a pro.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 02:42 AM   #46
TuMor
its not a!

could you take heaps of pics of the changeover? im thinking of doing the same with my EA (EL Tickford, or AU engine)

-cheers
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #47
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphell
yeah no worries mate. I was looking on fordmods.com and there is a guy on there with a 5.0lt EF and with a few mods it pulls 148rwkw and with the NOS shot 216rwkw!!! Runs a 13.2 quarter on street tyres, stock auto + shift kit. I can't wait!
Come on mate! Don't give me ideas :Up_to_som

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #48
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hus said it's some sort of temp sensor but I'm not sure if it senses coolant or actual cylinder head temp then makes timing changes accordingly??? I dunno. Doesn't really matter i'm not gonna use it but I'd just like to know or find out what series motor it is.
Are you going to hire an engine crane again, what are they charging? Im going to need to buy one soon for when I start the mini if you would rather put in for that so we always have one?

Cant wait to see the NOS in there and running! Its going to be a weapon!
Old 10-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #49
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

if it still has the coil pack on it you can tell what series it is.. If its a large style coil pack like ef its series 1, if its smaller and takes the differnt lead ends its series2/3 .. if u look behind the ring gear there is a piece of paper over the rear welch plug, this will have a build date on it

EDIT.. i just looked at the piks that motor is 100 % series 1 (one) au falcon
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #50
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
EDIT.. i just looked at the piks that motor is 100 % series 1 (one) au falcon
cool thanks! thought it was high kay's for a series 3! are there any differences between the series 1-2-3 motors on the insides like the head design or bottom end design?
Old 10-08-2005, 06:53 PM   #51
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Are you going to hire an engine crane again, what are they charging? Im going to need to buy one soon for when I start the mini if you would rather put in for that so we always have one?
You know doug you can always just use my engine crane if you need it. Only thing I ask is that you pick it up and drop it off when your finsihed (oh and slap a sticker on there aswell :P)

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 07:59 PM   #52
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might take u up on that steve....thanks heaps ;) Can u PM me your mobile number again I forgot to save it in my phone last time. Oh and I've got some NOS stickers for it :P Should add about 100kg to the S.W.L ;)
Old 12-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #53
Sundeep
Banned

Quote:
are there any differences between the series 1-2-3 motors on the insides like the head design or bottom end design?
The head gasket design changed on AU2, to the metal one. There were also some pretty minor differences for NVH reduction IIRC. There were like 300 changes from AU1-AU2 on the whole car, there were a few little things here and there to the motor but I can't remember what.

Good sh1t that it came with the BBM and injectors etc, there's a good $100 there. I got dibs on that fully sick looking exhaust heat shield (unless you're using it).

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #54
Sundeep
Banned

P.S have a look around the motor on engine parts for dates to figure out exactly how old the motor is. Like INJECTED250 said there could be one on the paper cover thing on the rear welch plug, and then there's usually a month/year stamp on the bottom of the TB, little stickers on the loom and shiiit. AU1's had that piston ring problem too remember!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 AM   #55
TUFED6
Banned

Sucks about the AU1 headgasket, definately change to a metal one while you've got it out I reckon.

- John
TUFED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #56
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Sunny I have at least one of those heat shields from my AU3 motor you can have.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #57
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sensor in the back on the head is the temp sensor ;)
Old 12-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #58
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also picked up my new Walbro 255lt/hr fuel pump that I got off ebay. It's an intank design that will fit with a few modifications to the Ford bracket.

Hey you might want to check out this thread about your Walbro pump

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...owtopic=103640

Apparently quite a few of there members have been stung with fake Walbro and Bosch pumps that perform to 1/3rd of their claimed output.

Below is a pic of a fake pump looks kind of the same as yours? Have you got Walbro stamped on the side?

FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 08:29 PM   #59
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh great! think i've been ripped on the pump. Mine is exactly like that, no stamp on the side either....which I actually thought was a bit strange when i bought it cause my old stocko FP had walbro printed on it. It's ok, I know where the guy lives cause I picked it up ;)