Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #31
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Yawn. Today Tonight.

I would rather have my teeth pulled by a psychotic Ox than watch Naomi Robson and that tripe.
Oh yeah, I hear ya

And our "news" is getting the same way. Last night, for example, I watched Ch 7 news and didn't see much of anything important. At 6.30pm I flipped over to SBS news to find there are riots in China against Japanese businesses, and that the Israelites are protesting cos they don't know what Ariel Sharon is doing with the whole Gaza Strip/West Bank issue cos he's not telling them... all he's doing is jumping into bed with friggin Georgie Porgie. And our "news" doesn't say a thing.

So when my mother comes over for a visit and tells me what she saw on Today Tonight, quoting it as truth, I start to wonder if I was adopted... :Up_to_som

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #32
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_o
Really? Is that illegal? I do it all the time whenever I drive a manual.
Dunno about legality but it puts more strain on your brakes and you wear through them quicker... so if you are trying to save money by coasting, it's a false economy really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 06:22 PM   #33
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Really? Is that illegal? I do it all the time whenever I drive a manual.
Funny thing is dropping it in neutral uses more fuel than allowing the car to back off. If you have a Trip computer ... check it next time ... in neutral at idle fuel is still being run through at a higher rate than an engine backing right off (not a massive revs though).

At a cruising back-off in gear ... you use much less fuel than neutral.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #34
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

I saw that segment. One of the tips was "get rid of unnecessary weight" - so when I get pulled over by the police and they discover that my car has no spare tyre, no jack, all seats other then the drivers seat removed, no bonnet, no boot lid, the last 1/4 of the exhaust system removed, no number plates as well as a few other bits and pieces here and there, I'll just say I'm following the advice from Today Tonight. _

Sad thing is, many people will now be following these "tips" they gave out... :(
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #35
rob_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Dunno about legality but it puts more strain on your brakes and you wear through them quicker... so if you are trying to save money by coasting, it's a false economy really.
I always try to save the brakes aswell, I dont go down a hill with my foot on the pedal the whole time. I just brake, release, then brake again, release, etc.

Some ppl just sit on the brakes as if their pads never ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Funny thing is dropping it in neutral uses more fuel than allowing the car to back off. If you have a Trip computer ... check it next time ... in neutral at idle fuel is still being run through at a higher rate than an engine backing right off (not a massive revs though).

Hmmmm... thats interesting. Ill have to have a look sometime. Gotta buy a car first though lol.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #36
MustangNut

Cool

Quote:
I always try to save the brakes aswell, I dont go down a hill with my foot on the pedal the whole time. I just brake, release, then brake again, release, etc.
:

Arrrgghh ! I hate it when people do that. I drive a manual and it's bloody annoying when auto drivers tap the brakes every 3 seconds, you're never sure if they're just washing off a bit of speed or are going to stand on the pedal and stop.

Even in an auto you can pull it back a cog (say to third or second) to coast down hill at 60k's. your PCM will go into lean cruise mode and use bugger all fuel.

:

Ok I feel better now, time to go take my meds :
MustangNut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #37
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNut
Even in an auto you can pull it back a cog (say to third or second) to coast down hill at 60k's. your PCM will go into lean cruise mode and use bugger all fuel.
And if your using a pre-BA Ford 4spd auto you can book yourself into the nearest transmission repair center to have the thing reco'd each week.

Not something i'd reccomend personally.

My dad has a great theory.. Brakes = $80 Transmission = $3000. One was designed to slow you down, the other was not. Easy choice!
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #38
Barry_v
rocknrolla

couldnt have said it better myself.

if you want to slow yourself down with your engine, buy a kenworth with an exhaust brake, not an automatic falcon.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #39
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Remember people, don't use your air con today and drive with your windows up so as to lower wind resistance. You just sit behind that driver doing 70 km/h in an 80 km/h zone and baste in your own juices. out:

I guess that's one good thing about having the Mk I Esky, fill up once a fortnight. :hihi:

If I sat in the EB at 70 km/h it would have had a hissy fit, it was 80km's+ or it would keep shifting gears. What a load of drivel! :dr_Evil:
Old 13-04-2005, 07:39 PM   #40
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
you do 70 in a 70 zone are you still saving fuel?
!
But does it use more fuel doing 70 in a 60 zone?

I guess this explains all the village idiots doing 50 in an 80 zone.....they're saving heaps!!
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 13-04-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #41
Amazer

I even find in my Astina I get the best economy between 80-120km/h under is still good but at its best when over 80km/h.

on highway I normally get around 6.5 litres per 100km and around 7.5 litres per 100km in town.

then again I fill it up once every blue moon, ahh the joys of a work car with a fuel card managed by work. The dearer fuel gets the more worthwhile it is having

Rob
Amazer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #42
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

you are incorrect

I use angel gear alot. and I have a trip computer with instant L/100 KM. In 5th gear coasting down hill at 110km it uses 6.5L/ 100km. In angel gear it is 1.8L/100km.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 13-04-2005 at 09:03 PM.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post