Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #31
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lambo was a waste.

Should have thrashed it a bit wanted to hear its acel.

Anyway much better. Still not entertaining enough.

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep really good. And Skaife can actually drive fairly well too.

It is going to be a good year for Top Gear Oz....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #33
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
Better than the first series. Trampoline bit was funny I thought. The race between the jetski and lambo didnt do it for me though.

How annoying was that freaking Holden ad?!? I dont care what manufacturer it was for they should be shot
They didn't show the other Holden Ad - The Turbo Smooth HR. They actually dented the roof of the Proton with the esky. They're well made them things...
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #34
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Hard taskmaskers you guys... I thought it was great., It was professional, well scripted.... James Morrison a natural, even big nose was ok. The waverunner race against the lambo well done (maybe appreciated more in Melbourne)
All in all bloody great!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #35
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only happened to catch the part when they were talking about lap times with Skaife. Awesome effort!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #36
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

First ever TGA having lived overseas for last series

Wasnt bad at all, at the end of the day I am happy we have an Aussie car Show as opposed to one of the thousand reality TV shows
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #37
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Morrison is great as a host, and also when the cameras aren't rolling.

For the third episode (which is about making their own utes, after opening with a '34 Ford Ute), they had a Hail Storm in the middle of the taping. Morrison was walking around, with the other three, and talking to the audience. I managed to have a long chat with him about Touring, his love of cars, and his Citroen C6.

The Three hosts are genuinely nice people, and get along well, unlike the three from last year.
i was at that episode as well (freaking out that the XR8 had been smashed in the storm)

all the presenters were really approachable and very friendly that night, i was talking to warren for a while before the news segment (i think that makes the night more memorable).

i enjoyed tonights episode (well what i have seen so far thanks mum for the call) just more reasons to watch it again tomorrow on HD :

better than last season, but you'd expect that each year yeah (well maybe some people would anywho)
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #38
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Good improvement on the first series, better camera work etc. Seemed more laid back. The look that skaife had on his face when they read out the fake lap time was classic, good viewing indeed!

As usuall you'll have people compareing it to the latest TGUK, dismissing the fact that the first few seasons were boring.

SBS hasn't got the budget of the UK show etc, but they do well. As far as an aussie car show, its miles ahead.

Trampoline was classic.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #39
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

better series than s1, had good laugh @ the challenge didn't catch all of it through, i was loving ralliart vs bmw topic :
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #40
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didnt like pizzati in season 1, still dont like him in season 2.
Obviously jeremy is the main host of top gear uk, in Season 1 i think Charlie took the lead role, now that hes gone, looks like Warren has filled in that spot, i dont think it will work. Maybe its the writers but none of these guys feel knowledgable enough about such a wide range of cars like the uk guys, i really dont value there opinions which isnt very good when your trying to review cars etc

e.g. lancer vs bmw, the guys didnt come across as if they really cared about one car over the other, but more they were just sticking up for the car they were given. Top gear uk on the other hand, when jeremy says he likes this car over that one, ya know he means it.

For me it was dissapointing, and the problems are with the writers and imo the hosts. BTW Warren i actually do like, and im going to give James a chance.

I could go on forever lol, its only the first damn episode.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #41
SilentDave

With TG OZ last year the UK rights owners had a clause that they had to imitate their version which resulted in the copy cat format but this year that has been removed to make it a more unique(hopefully) Aussie show. Also don't forget Australia doesn' have access to some of the cars shown on the UK version and SBS doesn't have the funding like BBC does, but hopefully series 2 would be heaps better.
SilentDave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #42
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i watched it. definitely an improvement over series 1
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #43
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDave
Also don't forget Australia doesn' have access to some of the cars shown on the UK version and SBS doesn't have the funding like BBC does, but hopefully series 2 would be heaps better.
Cars are the least of the shows problems, imo its the writers, todays challenge looked like a complete clone of the ferrari vs powerboat challenge.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #44
Rangas GTP

Heard rumors Jennifer Hawkins will be hosting along side the boys to attract female audience. :
Oh sorry wrong show! :
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #45
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

James Morrison seems a good host, but my left testicle on acid could have done a better job than that Charlie.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #46
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

That was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better, i didn't even bother watching the start believing it would be crud, but now i wished i did, i guess i'll see it when i download it. at least they didn't end the race abruptly like they did for segments in the first series. James really has made that show much better, the segment about the track was really helpful and informative. but that holden ad...ugh!!!
this is much better http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au..._john_goss.htm

Cheers
Dave

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #47
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

rubbish
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #48
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strike XR6
Lambo was a waste.

Should have thrashed it a bit wanted to hear its acel.

Anyway much better. Still not entertaining enough.
Didn't you watch the Stig's lap in the Lambo? I turned the volume way up to hear it loud and clear at full song.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #49
fordboy1981

it's getting better. now all they have to do is get rid of that Hammond-copy-F*ckwit Pizzati and it would be a winner. Charlie Cox REALLY gave me the sh*ts, to the point where I just couldn't stand watching it! next on my list was Pizzati, he's not as bad Cox, but he still rubs me the wrong way...
fordboy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #50
InTrail

IMHO, big improvement on last year (but that's not really saying much)

2 things that don't float my boat though. Why do they try and sabotage each other during the challenges? Tonight it was with the truck slowing the Lambo, and IIRC, last year, one of them let the tyres down on the others VW Golf during a comparo between the petrol & diesel models.
Sort of defeats the purpose...

Also, I've driven from Melbourne to the Peninsula 100's of times, and it's never taken me anywhere near 4 hours, even in the heaviest of traffic on the Nepean HWY.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #51
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was a vast improvement on last year
they still seem to shout a lot. teh jetski and 35kmhr lambo thing left me cold.
maybe they could ditch "silly stunt of the week" altogether in favour of another car test. Maybe even (gasp) one serious report per week.

Was interesting to see how serious skaife took his lap, he drive that thing hard.
See his face when he thought he had been beaten by JC and murph, You could see he was hurt. then he almost did a toyota leap when he won.

for me that moment was worth the show.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #52
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Much better then last season.
They got rid of what were they thinking...THANK YOU!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #53
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A huge improvement on last year. Good that Warren is doing the main hosting like the celebrity races. And I thought James and Warren seem to feed off each other well. There was a little more chemistry.

Pizzati is no where near as bad as Cox. If you had to replace him, who could you get?. I still think Grant Denyer would have been a good choice? Maybe an ex V8 Supercar driver?

Theres no pleasing everyone. Especially the lounge chair race car drivers. It's not TGUK, never was and never will be. So build a bridge.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #54
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just flew in from the states on Sunday. This was the first Top Gear Australia I had seen. My honest opinion? The cast is too copycat of the 3 British hosts. I thought this whole "Where are you?" "You're on a what???" thing was just trying to act out the parts of Clarkson, May and Hammond. The dialog didn't seem real, it just seemed like bad acting to me. Sorry, but if they just tried being themselves, I might have found it more interesting.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #55
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

Compared to some of the drivel on the other FTV channels, this seemed a good entertaining hour of TV.
PimpMyHubcap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #56
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Yes i agree, it was alooooooooooot better, and thank god they didnt do whhhhat weeeeeer theeeeeeey thiiiiiiiiinking.

Skaifey in a bog standard car : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwxDtTXrmvg
Old 12-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #57
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how wide was the lambo

it was wider than the truck that morrison called in to slow the lambo down

was a heap better than last year

have to give skaife credit he can throw a car around when needed

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #58
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I never saw any Series 1 episode so all I had last nights episode to compare to was TGUK. As others have said, it'll never be as good as TGUK but I thought it was a pretty fair effort. Got a few laughs and I did enjoy the ad re-creation and the Lambo V Jetski challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTrail
2 things that don't float my boat though. Why do they try and sabotage each other during the challenges? Tonight it was with the truck slowing the Lambo, and IIRC, last year, one of them let the tyres down on the others VW Golf during a comparo between the petrol & diesel models.
Sort of defeats the purpose...
Just pranking each other, the TGUK guys do it.

I thought the 3 hosts worked well together considering they have to adhere to a format and need the chemistry between them for it to work. Warren in particular has a really warm and approachable screen persona, James is a passionate petrol head and Steve should be more himself rather than try to be a Hammond clone and it'll click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Good that Warren is doing the main hosting like the celebrity races. And I thought James and Warren seem to feed off each other well. There was a little more chemistry.

Pizzati is no where near as bad as Cox. If you had to replace him, who could you get?. I still think Grant Denyer would have been a good choice? Maybe an ex V8 Supercar driver?
Who would you get? Agree Denyer could be good. Which ex V8 supercar driver do you know who would have the personality to cerry this off? Maybe in time Russel Ingall (after he stops racing) with his "Enforcer" persona??

Someone else suggested a serious road test in each episode, good call I reckon!! Something with valid information for prospective buyers out there. Keep it to everyday cars rather than exotics.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #59
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Much better than last season - they stopped trying to mimic TG UK, and brought in some of that Aussie irreverence. There seems to be genuine chemistry between the three presenters as well.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #60
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The show was good!

What do you people expect!

No, its not as good as TG UK but no other car show in any other country would be!!!!! Would you rather have nothing?

I thought the BMW vs EVO test was good, I certinaly wouldn't have thought the 135 would keep up around and track and blow the evo away in a drag!!! BMW for me any day.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post