Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #31
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Nsw Car Hoon Laws . Grandma Policing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
So how many people on their last strike do you reckon would run when they know their car will be taken off them?
you will prise my car from my cold dead hands
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #32
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So how many people on their last strike do you reckon would run when they know their car will be taken off them?
And again the point is that if people cant be responsible they should just be told not to do it again?

Its a bit like saying that its the servos fault that the number of drivers stealing fuel because of high fuel costs.... or when the arguement about the death penalty when someone knows he is gonna fry, he may as well kill as many people as possible, so in effect a harsher penalty will mean crime increases?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag
i gotta agree with some hoon laws.
45km over the limit twice in 5 months. And thats only if you get caught!

what reason could there be for going a potential 155kph?
I thought they said 5 years, not 5 months.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #34
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfordcrazy21
That is so true. Under the hoon laws in vic. If the police hear your tyres squeal or if you are 25 ks over the speed limit they can disqualify you for up to six months on the spot. And then they can impound your car for up to thirty days. And then after paying the $1280 to get your car out. Then you go to court and can lose your licence for a further six months. I know. It happened to me...
Courts disqualify driver's licenses, not the police. Disqualification's and suspension's are two totally different things.

You can't get an on-the-spot suspension (note not a disqualification, disqual's ONLY come from a court) in Victoria unless you've committed a drink drive or a drug drive offence. Speeding ofences do have mandatory suspension period's but these are not on-the-spot, the suspension only starts when you are found guilty of the offence (usually meaning paying the fine).

Also, 25k's over is not a 6 month suspension. Suspensions in Vic are as follows:

25k to 34k over - 1 Month
35k to 44k over - 6 Months
more than 45kms - 12 Months
They also have an additional offence of 130 - 134km/hr in a 110 Zone that gives a 1 Month suspension. Effectivley meaning that 20km/hr over in a 110 Zone means a 1 month suspension, whereas you need to be 25km/hr over in a 100 to get a 1 month suspension.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #35
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
I thought they said 5 years, not 5 months.
just went by what the op said
"agin within 5 months"

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #36
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I remember reading a post once in a similar topic about roadwork's etc and there was a posted link that had a ruling that if there were no worker's around at the time, the signage was void ?
There is something in South Australian law somewhere to that effect.

Problem is they'd then put the onus on you to prove there were no workers around.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #37
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNXR6T
** owing a car then, nothing belongs to anyone anymore just take it. In some countries someone touches ur stuff u get killed, same as buying a house, you own it and still u have to go ask council to do something in ur backyard.
If it's yours, why do you you have to ask someone else permission to do something in YOUR backyard....
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #38
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As if doing 160 down a deserted highway is dangerous!

There is a BIG difference between doing 50 over down the George St in Sydney, to 50 over down the Hume!! Why does it get the same penalty?!

In France, they half fines and penalties on the freeway/motorways/autoroutes. yes, thats right! And makes perfect sense!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #39
xxxc
tuff

speeding in suburbs is not good

speeding on the freeway is not a crime , its a freeway/highway FFS. its built for higher speeds.

im biased when it comes to speeding , im all for it if it in the right place, not that i do speed much, but if ya gotta over take a couple of B doubles on a two way highway.. then its time to speed,

country police should be lenient when it comes to speed for over taking on a two way....one would think
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #40
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag
what reason could there be for going a potential 155kph?
What reason?

Because it's there.
In the right place, at the right time of course.
Throw the book at any mug that's doing a zillion kays in the main street or where ever there's any opportunity to hurt something or someone, APART FROM THEMSELVES.

But if you're a million miles from anywhere or anyone, and you want to go for a CAREFULLY CONSIDERED fang, why not?

Just be prepared to cop the consequences if it goes pear-shaped.

That's only my opinion anyway.

Ed
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #41
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
ok so you own an fpv , or performance car of some sort , you are tailing a truck at 70km an hour in a 80 zone , your in a country area , you safely overtake flooring it to get pat as quick as possible , by the time you pull in your doing 130kms hr , and you take your foot off throttle at that monent 500 metres up the road a highway patrol car is sitting there waithing for you with the radar on . what happens next . a big fine , no licence , hand your plates in for 3 months as well , and a black mark saying if you do this again you will lose your car .and 4 years later you do it again same scenario ( what if your paying it off ) and want to sell itr to recoup the costs . your in your 40's or 50's and have only been booked 2 times in 5 years ,have never done anything wrong in your life and only been booked 2 times in 30 years . are you now a criminal , not worthy of driving or owning that car anymore ??
this is hyperthetically what could happen could it not ?
Oh come on...anyone who actually drives on country roads would wait for a while until there's a good damn long straight to get past, where you can overtake normally and not like you're on a racetrack. Too many variables in the country, and only ******* overtake like that out here, and usually come to grief in a big way very quickly...

A "momentary lapse" isn't 45kph-plus over the limit...

I loved the comment that freeways are "built for high speeds"...my ribs are aching from the laughter. Most highways in the state here, apart from some brand new ones down near Brisbane, are barely built for 100 to 110, much less 150 or more.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #42
z80
Banned

I don't think they crush the car if you are not the owner.

I don't personally own a single car
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #43
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Last month i went on a 6500 something km trip in convoy with a Falcon towing a caravan. We averaged between 80km/h and 90km/h (even down to 70) depending on the terrain, wind and weather.

Many situations where overtaking as quick as logically possible would be much advised to the cars stuck behind us. Theres alot of ground to cover to get around and not ALL the roads are dead straight or have overtaking lanes...And how bout the long road trains?

Having said that...Fatigue almost got me once on one of the many long straights encountered (microslept onto the dirt shoulder) as putt-putt-putting along at that speed on the insanley boring and straight roads is killer... But who cares for fatigue right? We were going way under the limit therefore perfectly safe.....

How the flamin heck is it dangerous to exceed 110km/h on the below road regardless if overtaking or not?

In suburbia...book 'em.
Out there...back off copper.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 06-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #44
XXX747

I have to be honest it is getting a bit silly
Old 06-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #45
dylancox

Quote:

Where is this road?? looks like heaven on earth.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #46
dylancox

Quote:
And how many mentally unstable or those with serious anger management issues would rather go down in a gunfight than lose their livelihood/pride & joy? Didn't a highway patrol officer just lose his life a week ago over pulling someone over for speeding?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #47
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gtfpv you have my vote in the next election if you decide to run lol
Old 06-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #48
MattsDisturbed
Bseries

This is a controversial topic, and I don't like how state Governments are becoming Nanny-State on every road and traffic rule they can think up. However, in my mind there is still almost no excuse for going 45 km/h above the speed limit. 5 or 10 clicks over, fair enough, a lot of us like to give our throttle pedals a bootful occasionally, but 45 is just to much, especially in any situation where there are other road users around you.

The only concievable situation where those speeds would be moderately safe would be on a road such as in the above posts ^^^ where there's no one around, and you want to max out your top speed.

Check it out:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11336211
Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #49
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a few points: If the car was under finance, surely the government couldn't leave a person with massive debt due to a speeding infringement. Murderers and rapists should have their cars taken from them too, and their houses... Even if the car was owned outright, the punishment surely does not fit the crime...

How many of the "over 45km/h is murder" brigade here have actually driven a new FPV, or a modified XR6T? In my previous modified XR6T and turbo terry, i had my speed alert set at 140km/h, and it's amazing how quickly that chime goes off when you give it a full throttle squirt.

I know the answer; I don't need to give it full throttle, but what's the point of a car with grunt if we're all pansies about life... FFS, the Australian government needs to get real, and take a look at how the euro countries are doing things.

By all means, punish the ones that do it in the built up suburbs, but i think the government is getting a little too stupid about speeding laws. How about introducing tougher sentencing for murderers, rapists, cop killers, drunk drivers, drug drivers and the list goes on.

Anyone would think that the only reason people die in Australia is because of speeding...
Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #50
z80
Banned

I think I read somewhere a while back that in Switzerland the speeding fines are based on your income.

I seem to recall that a director of Nokia received a huge fine for driving way over the limit...

EDIT: here is the link....yep, the more you earn the more you pay..in his case a lot, crushing the car is too cheap an option..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1759791.stm

or this poor guy...one million dollars?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mph-chase.html

Seems like a fairer way of doing it? (it's 14 days pay...LOl)

Last edited by z80; 06-03-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #51
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
And how many mentally unstable or those with serious anger management issues would rather go down in a gunfight than lose their livelihood/pride & joy? Didn't a highway patrol officer just lose his life a week ago over pulling someone over for speeding?
Someone told me the following quote recently and it seems to be fitting in light of a lot of events happening right now:

"When a man has nothing left to lose, he loses it."
Old 06-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #52
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in the Geelong advertiser there was a bloke on a bike that was clocked doing 120, but he had no points left, so gunned it. 260km/h, cops doing 220, he went down a dead end dirt road and was caught. Thats the sort of thing people do when you think a bit rashly I guess! Lucky he didnt crash! But its the stupid govts fault that people think i am better off trying my luck than losing my licence for near nothing, losing my job, my house etc!

I personally know of a number of people that have done it... mainly on bikes though, a few in cars.

oh, and you dont hear about the ones that get away ;-)

Last edited by EDManual; 06-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #53
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: New Nsw Car Hoon Laws . Grandma Policing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
YES WE ALL HAVE SPED at some point in our lives... but if i get pulled over and fined, ill cop it and grin..
the point is they are going too far. would you really just roll over and cop a $10,000 fine (or whatever your car is worth)?
the penalties far exceed the crime and they just keep pushing them up. soon it'll be mandatory jailtime ffs.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #54
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it wont be jailtime, as it costs the govt money...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #55
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Forget about the overtaking a truck scenario. As others have stated, it's not real likely that a switched on or sensible driver will gun it that hard to overtake and have it considered a reasonable act. Here's the thing that really scares me. There are school zones within 80km zones. If you are innocently cruising at 85km an hour because your speedo is a tad out, or you simply weren't looking at it every two seconds and it crept up a bit, you can suddenly find yourself in a drop to 40km an hour. not all school zones have flashing lights when they are in effect. you may not have the time on you and not realise it has started yet. i have often found myself driving at random times of the day and found myself in a slight panic when i discover i've hit a school zone and have no idea what the time is. there isn't always a car around me to judge, so i slow down. Too late sometimes though if there was a copper in wait. My point? How fair is it if you are in an 80 zone, hit the school zone, and realise a little bit late. If you were driving a mere 5km over the limit before, you are now 45 over. If a copper pings you before you realise and slow down, that 2 second lapse will cost you your car if it happens twice in 5 years. Hell, this can happen to anyone, no matter how good a driver you are.

Last edited by Landau Stable; 06-03-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #56
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An article in the paper : Why wouldnt you run if the fines are much the same as not!! (or there are NO fines if you dont!) (Take drunks cars off them I say though, speeding sensibly is different)

A DRUNKEN female driver crossed double lines and reached speeds of up to 151km/h while trying to evade police, a court has heard.
A Geelong court was also the probationary driver turned into Grossman's Rd at such speed, her entire vehicle crossed onto the wrong side of the roadway.
Megan Macleod, 20, of Telkington Rd, Bellbrae, pleaded guilty in Geelong Magistrates' Court yesterday to charges of exceeding .05, speeding, evading police and careless driving.
Police prosecutor, Leading Senior Constable Kerrie Moroney said, at 12.55am on November 26 last year, police were operating a breath testing station on Anglesea Rd, Bellbrae.
"Macleod was driving her utility south on Anglesea Rd when she saw the PBT station ahead," Sen-Constable Moroney said.
"She stopped, did a U-turn over double lines and took off at fast speed."
The prosecutor said police immediately took up pursuit as Macleod reached speeds of 151km/h before turning right into Grossman's Rd on the wrong side of the roadway.
"When stopped by police, Macleod admitted she had been drinking heavy beer and rum and a lot of it," the prosecutor said.
"A breathalyser test showed she had a reading of .113 per cent and her car was impounded for 30 days at a cost of $994."
Christine Thomas, for Macleod, said her client was currently studying at an agricultural college near Horsham, that she had no priors and her behaviour was out of character.
"After her car was towed away, she decided to take a short cut home through a paddock and broke her ankle," Ms Thomas said.
"Her parents paid the $994 redemption fee for their daughter to get her car back but she will have to repay them by painting the house."
Magistrate Ann McGarvie said drink-driving was the biggest killer on Victoria's roads.
"It's not about you killing yourself but about you killing others," she said.
"You knew you should not have been driving and that is why you tried to run away."
Macleod was convicted on all counts, fined $800 and disqualified from driving for 12 months.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #57
BAFrod

It doesn't matter how fair we believe these rules to be - this country was founded on the principles of liberal democracy; private property chief among them. The government cannot seize a citizen's land without just (I.e., market value) compensation, this is in the Constitution!!

They can ban me from driving for life; but they cannot take my property!! This is completely immoral!! I'm only glad I'm living in Vic temporarily. As soon as I can, I'm going back to Tassie; the last free state IMO.
2004 BA1 Futura - XT/Ghia headlight clusters, satin black upper and lower grilles, black slim plates, red interior LEDs, Clarion 6.5" upgrade, XR alloy pedals, FG alloy scuff plates, wheels, tint and lower to come...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #58
gtfpv
GT

well all i can say , is there are going to be plenty of saintly people out there , tagged as bad boys for life . because of a 2 or 3 second push of a foot , with no harm or damage done to anyone .
and that can ruin a career , relationship, or someones own moral dignity .
Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #59
fat289
fat289

By the way most ppl are commenting about this their saying they have never been over the speed limit by only a small amount !!!

WHAT A CROCK !!!!!!

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #60
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its just no fun anymore..

faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death....
Closed Thread