Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #31
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Power output has nothing to do with the quality of sound. 15W RMS isn't bad for a headunit as most aftermarket headunits are only pumping out 18W RMS. But thats easily enough to pump 100db. 99.99% of the time your gonna be playing well under 85DB and for 99.99% of speakers that requires less than 1watt of power so even the stock unit has more than enough power. Thats not it's problem. The focus does have splits in it.

The stock units on the focus and fiesta are pretty decent for a stock system but have major shortcomings. They along with all stock systems only have mid range. They don't play low and they don't play high.

Changing all your speakers and adding amps will give you better sound and may play louder but your having the major disadvantage of double amping the signal (adding noise and distortion to the signal). And the amps used in headunits are relativly crap so your starting signal already puts you at a disadvantage. This is why RCA's are important.

In my opinion the best value for money upgrade for the system would be a new headunit and a good quality set of splits for the front. Get your doors sound deadend while your at it too.
I feel exactly the same way Pieoter - I'll be adding some Focal splits to my LX soon - was planning on getting the doors sound deadened at the same time. Will eventually add a aftermarket headunit (not sure what yet, Alpine maybe) and two 2x channel amps further down the track (will have the system rewired with some decent cable too).
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #32
Marshy79

Well just an update guys.

The Sony unit isnt that bad after all.
My problem is I dont listen to it loud enough and the road noise from my tyres is either bugging me or the XR5's engine is growling too much.

Feels funny having the music loud enough not to hear the engine though.
*shrugs*
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #33
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Possibly a link of interest to some LS owners...

http://www.ffoc.co.uk/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=139809
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 27-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #34
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Duplicate Post

Old 27-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #35
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Coming from the AU Fairmont system and head unit, I think the Sony is ace, but I guess some people might expect more from such a brand. I dunno. I find it has good sound and is **** easy to use, I cant complain.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #36
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I think it sounds sensational with the splits, better than many standard systems I've heard. Not outstanding, but not shabby. I love factory look, functionality and compatibility with the steering column remote. My only step would be to upgrade the tweeters with better units and probably whack a sub and amp in the boot, otherwise leaving the speakers stock. One could go the extra step and upgrade the speakers, but the tweeter change alone would massively change things.

My current car has 4 speakers and I am toying with the idea of a custom tweeter mount in the door mirror covers, with upgraded front and rear speakers. Would be **** easy to install and shouldn't cost much more than $150 for a good double pair of speakers for what I'm after.
Old 28-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #37
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
but I guess some people might expect more from such a brand.
i doubt that. id expect more from a pioneer system than a sony system. there are alot better things in the area than sony. but for a standard car cd player i wouldnt mind. i just wouldnt buy anything sony. unless they where paying me to buy it.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #38
raymon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
i doubt that. id expect more from a pioneer system than a sony system. there are alot better things in the area than sony. but for a standard car cd player i wouldnt mind. i just wouldnt buy anything sony. unless they where paying me to buy it.
The problem with Sony, they are making everything these days, u name it they make it hehehe thats why its better going with a brand like alpine which only stick to car audio stuff or even pioneer
Lowered 30-35mm King springs, Custom leather interior, Polished standard 17s rims, Cadance monoblock amplifier and Alpine Type S sub woofer, clear reverse+fog+tail lights, Angel eyes and a few CHROMEEEEEE bits on my baby.
raymon81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #39
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
I thought all Falcon 94 onwards head units were FMX. Although the speakers are crappy Pioneer papers, but you can get deeper bass from the standard EF Futura system than you can with the standard Focus system.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #40
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sony is an entry level brand. You can't expect too much from them but you can get it to sound nice if you don't cut corners. Build a properly sized and tuned(if your running a vented box) sub box, sound deaden the car etc and you can have a nice sounding system.

Although for people on a budget id send them straight to the Jaycar response series they simply have the best bang for bucks and have nice sound. Although the monoblock does have more than its fair share of noise.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #41
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
I thought all Falcon 94 onwards head units were FMX. Although the speakers are crappy Pioneer papers, but you can get deeper bass from the standard EF Futura system than you can with the standard Focus system.
my dads AU gets more bass and volume than the fiesta.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #42
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you talking about car stereos or SPL machines?
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post