t2te50
Banned

What did I say wrong only criticised a magna? :dr_Evil:
Ok got the message no sh, bull@#$@ or other words thanks guardian angel
Old 17-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #32
TuMor
its not a!

Quote:
Mate, my 94 Laser 1.8 automatic beats Falcons and Commodores, even beat a VZ V6 Executive (only just) just saying it doesnt take much to beat them, and yes, i only "try" when i know the other person is gonna try to drag me off, so please dont suggest (but they dont try) having owned and driven EAs, EB2, EF, AU, Statesman VS V8, VS Grange, WK Caprice, driven the Magna 3.5, BA 4 litre, 5.4 220, XR8 and GT and i tell ya, it keeps up with 6s and beats some - but ya tell people and they dont believe ya until they have been in ya car. If you want something fast, definately get a V8 minimum
I bet he has the big fart cannon exhaust on his beasty laser, they give an extra 180rwkw.

bout the ford vs magna thing, dont go by power figures on paper. When i had a vp-commodore i dragged a mate who had an ED with heaps of mods, he was sure to win because on paper the ED had the power and torque (i was sure he would win). But surprisingly i had him off the line and all the way to the end.

Last edited by TuMor; 17-08-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 17-08-2005, 07:48 PM   #33
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chevy power - I'm with everyone else here who is perhaps 'wary' of your statements. Lets not forget too you are talking red light racing when you are taking on these other cars (which is bullsh*t anyway man - get to the drag strip will ya). Racing other cars on the street out of traffic lights is certainly NOT a definitive answer to what cars you can beat with your own.

On a dragstrip - different matter. There is no doubt the bloke in the other lane is going balls out to beat you.

As for the magna v ford debate - I reckon the magna might put up a good effort! Is yours a manual? And for under 200 bucks your mods are limited. Sorry guys I own an older model Cleveland 351 - and my suggestion will be to make sure it has PULP in the system and a bottle of Octane Booster too! Is it ok to use octane booster in ECU engines???

If so - I'd be giving it a drink of that.

Good luck! Its made some spirited debate - let us know how it goes.
Old 17-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #34
TuMor
its not a!

Its ok to use additives but i dont think you get all the benefit that you would a carbied engine, a possible cheap mod would be to advance the timing a bit and tune it for PULP?
Old 17-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #35
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh just as an indication, my old mans has and repitivley beaten sum worked 5.0l's and sum gen 3's
Old 17-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #36
TuMor
its not a!

Im looking forward to the outcome : :
Old 17-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Hate to say it but some Magna's can move. One pulled up next to me at the lights and floored it, I was slow to react and went after him in my EL XR8 and was only catching him slowly and then he backed off at the speed limit to deny me any chance of catching him, how embarrasing.
Getting the jump off the start is the key, I've beaten an SS Crewman up to 80km by getting the jump, although he soon dissapeared past 100. No bad for an old slug.
Old 17-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #38
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

My EL XR8 gets beaten by heaps of cars including Magnas and Camrys if I'm not ready to launch dragstrip style. Only thing is, it cant catch up to anything either!
Old 17-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #39
TuMor
its not a!

Yeah, the launch is vital
Old 17-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
My EL XR8 gets beaten by heaps of cars including Magnas and Camrys if I'm not ready to launch dragstrip style. Only thing is, it cant catch up to anything either!
You can launch them pretty damn hard as the have great off idle torque, but once the revs get up they have nothing up top.
Old 17-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #41
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Chevy power - I'm with everyone else here who is perhaps 'wary' of your statements. Lets not forget too you are talking red light racing when you are taking on these other cars (which is bullsh*t anyway man - get to the drag strip will ya). Racing other cars on the street out of traffic lights is certainly NOT a definitive answer to what cars you can beat with your own.

On a dragstrip - different matter. There is no doubt the bloke in the other lane is going balls out to beat you.

Dude, i wasnt talking about a drag strip, i realize my car tops speed is 170 and 100-170 aint that good in the Laser, my claims were based on my observations only, nothing more. Keep in mind a stock EF is limited to 180 too. I wouldnt waste my time with any of these cars at a drag strip, i said none of them are fast. Heck the first car I owned would have beat a lot of the claimed fast cars, it was 76 Holden with a worked 350 V8 - much better top end power than the Grange (eg it pulled 150km/h up the Wellington Rd hill in Lysterfield before it got to the top whereas the Grange only pulled 110). Stop assuming i dont know what a true drag race is. I just never go there. And the guy in the stock VZ isnt gonna wind down his window everytime he looses and organize a quarter mile drag. If i was interested in 1/4 mile drags at the strip i would buy another car just for that.
Old 17-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #42
TuMor
its not a!

chevypower - do you have those "fast and the furious" windshield wipers? :hihi:

jk...
Old 17-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #43
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chevy Power - If you arent talking about a drag strip, then stop talking about dragging cars then mate!!!!

Your example of what speeds you have reached on certain roads is just bullsh*t man. Get a brain. Then use it.

Then that will see you on a drag strip doing this stuff - NOT on public roads.

By jumping on this board and beating the chest about how much of a dumb a$$ you are on public roads - then trying to tell us how fast your laser is because of these 'wins' - is beyond comical dude. Its pathetic. Its actually quite scary. You are a perfect example of why we should introduce IQ tests for driving licences. I hope I dont have to share a road with you EVER. Sharing this message board with you is enough.

I dont know what forum you came from - but id really like to see you go back there.

And I will continue to assume you dont know what a true drag race is. In fact you save me from having to assume - you admit you dont go to the strip. So sorry man - you dont know what a true (at least legal) drag race is!!!!

Sorry for taking this off topic but I cant help but address Chevy Power's obvious lack of brain matter.
Old 17-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #44
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Might have to send him out the Laminge Family addon for his computer game
Old 17-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #45
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woooaaahhhhh back up everyone, your cornering me here, didnt think it was that bad - XA no need to get so personal, the orginal question was regarding two stock cars, using the brain matter to assume that didnt mean "worked" cars for the track
Old 17-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #46
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint_ED
my old man has one, if its a manual, he will get you, off the line they have to go easy or the front will start spinning but once he goes into second he will move, the run a mid to low 15
there is no way on gods green earth a stock 3.0 magna is going to run a low or mid 15sec 1/4, Please keep it real!
Old 17-08-2005, 10:52 PM   #47
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

auto it wont, but eveleve me those things are about 170kw, theyre front wheel drives, so less power loss, even i have trouble shaking my ol dman off, and there lighter, u can not believe me thats ur choice, but if one lines u up and it flogs ya, ull remmember what i sed,

i drive it every now and then, its slow off the line cos if u stick it, it just spins after second , floor it and it puts u back in the seat, and preveiouldy owing a worked falcon 6 manual also i can guarantee it will flog a the falcon that it is being draged with, the el
Old 17-08-2005, 10:59 PM   #48
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Chevy Power - If you arent talking about a drag strip, then stop talking about dragging cars then mate!!!!

Your example of what speeds you have reached on certain roads is just bullsh*t man. Get a brain. Then use it.

Then that will see you on a drag strip doing this stuff - NOT on public roads.

By jumping on this board and beating the chest about how much of a dumb a$$ you are on public roads - then trying to tell us how fast your laser is because of these 'wins' - is beyond comical dude. Its pathetic. Its actually quite scary. You are a perfect example of why we should introduce IQ tests for driving licences. I hope I dont have to share a road with you EVER. Sharing this message board with you is enough.

I dont know what forum you came from - but id really like to see you go back there.

And I will continue to assume you dont know what a true drag race is. In fact you save me from having to assume - you admit you dont go to the strip. So sorry man - you dont know what a true (at least legal) drag race is!!!!

Sorry for taking this off topic but I cant help but address Chevy Power's obvious lack of brain matter.

LOL
:
preach it brother!

back on topic...

a magna will beat your e series, if they both havent got any mods.
why do i know this? i just do....

check out these forums if you want the low-down on the magnas...
my mate BOOYA HAD a 300 KW + magna ( 97 - 99 ) i think, but that got burnt up when a fuel line broke! real shame!
Old 17-08-2005, 11:12 PM   #49
The Mighty Red

Mitsubishi has retained the driveability and tractability of its renowned 3.0 litre V6 engine for Sports. The engine produces its peak power output of 140kW of power at 55OOrpm, and maximum torque of 255Nm at 45OOrpm.

Just been on a magna forum and the general consensus is around 16secs for a stock 97 3.0 magnaahhhh,
Old 17-08-2005, 11:19 PM   #50
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_blue_xr6
there is no way on gods green earth a stock 3.0 magna is going to run a low or mid 15sec 1/4, Please keep it real!
Fastmagna drag slips http://www.ostat.com/dave/magnaregistry.html
Old 17-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #51
The Mighty Red

err yes I said stock magna.......,I don't think a 94magna did a 14.8 1/4 stock do you!
Old 17-08-2005, 11:26 PM   #52
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah but some of those TJ times are more realisitic.

Okay, I just posted those times because they are a combination of both stock and modified Magnas. With the exception of Booya's Magna, there are only a few mods (extractors, cat etc) that have be done. There are some supercharged and turbocharged ones around but they are few and far between.

Autoweb ran a flat 7 0-100 and a 15.1 in a 3.5L http://autoweb.drive.com.au/A_0660/cms/article.html

Last edited by Dave_au; 17-08-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 17-08-2005, 11:28 PM   #53
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but were not taliking bout a stock magna, were talkinh about a magna sports manual which are 3.6 litre so get ur facts right first rather than making urslef look like an idiot
Old 17-08-2005, 11:30 PM   #54
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry 3.5 litre
Old 17-08-2005, 11:31 PM   #55
The Mighty Red

As far as IDIOTS go i am talking about the topic which is a 97 magna sports 3.0 V6,
What The F*c* are you talking about,
Old 17-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #56
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Surprised to see so many VR-X's run into the 14 sec's. The lastest TL VR-X's are into the 15 sec from the factory.
But not to sure on the 3.0 litre with lower torque on doing the 4lt ford mtr though.
buickman
Old 17-08-2005, 11:34 PM   #57
t2te50
Banned

OH MY GOD!!!!!!
They have a forum please.
What's the main topics :togo:
Let me think?????????

1. tn, tp astron 1 & 2's !!!!!!!!! Legacy will linger like bad smell until they shut shop.

2.Ts, Tr oil burning, oil leaks both 4 and 6
Old 17-08-2005, 11:40 PM   #58
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well my old mans is a oct 97 magna sports 3.5 so maybe there was 2 models in the same year. i might of been wrong there, but ur definatley understating them
Old 17-08-2005, 11:54 PM   #59
The Mighty Red

On the road

Though it doesn't match the Falcon or Commodore on the dash from 0-100 km/h, or over the standing 400 metres, the Magna V6 has ample performance for all occasions, is a winner on smoothness and responsiveness, and easily beats those two on fuel consumption.

There is a huge difference between a 3.5l and a 3.0l engine my friend a bit like the old 4.1L and the 3.3L they were worlds apart

http://www.shift.nrma.com.au/motorin...tmagtev6.shtml
Old 18-08-2005, 12:12 AM   #60
elfdave

Red face

Quote:
MRJUCY
The Magna being a front driver doesn't get it's power down off the line but is surprisingly punchy down low but once the Falcon comes on song it should walk it. Your best bet is just to make sure the car is in good condition ie give it a service if need be.
There is variance car to car tho especially as they are getting on abit.
I'm a bit of an idiot with cars, and this is my best car so far. I've had (in order)
XD wagon
E20 Nissan Urvan :|
85 Mitusbishi L300 wagon (surprisingly powerful for a van of 2.0 capacity)
83 Nissan pulsar (that was just retarded)
So I don't know much about servicing them, infact I haven't had the EL serviced and it's due. What would a regular service do to improve performance? I can do the regular stuff (oil, fuel, air filter changes) but that's the extent of my knowledge. How do I make sure the car is in good condition? Atm the transmission is a bit crazy when I drive it in power mode, the gears tend to hold too long and it takes a few days of driving in economy mode before things calm down. Time for an auto transmission service eh...?

Quote:
XRated
I'd get a WADE cam exhanged for $120 odd. Might be held back by the exhaust, but still.. I'd just be weary about losing a bit of take off.
What's a WADE cam, how do they increase performance and where do I get one from? (I'm in canberra) Why would it make the car lose power off the line?

Quote:
sfr rob
back on topic...
a magna will beat your e series, if they both havent got any mods.
why do i know this? i just do....

check out these forums if you want the low-down on the magnas...
my mate BOOYA HAD a 300 KW + magna ( 97 - 99 ) i think, but that got burnt up when a fuel line broke! real shame!
Hehe How much to put a turbo on my EL or is that dumb?

I've heard that ELs are not as powerful as the rest of the E series, what's up with that?
Also the car is an auto as stated above, not a manual unfortunately. Both are stock standard (I'm assuming my mate's car is stock standard, I haven't asked him). As he just bought his car from a dealer I'm assuming it's just been serviced. The EL is in pretty good nick apart from the transmission problem and sounds smooth as.
Another question, when did the first magna 3.5s come out? Was it 1999?

Thanks for the replies so far dudes.

Roo I bet you're reading this

Closed Thread