Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Hmmm amazing how some call for raised speed limits, yet some dont care much for fatigue management....

Raising speed limits on long-distance roads is a form of fatigue managment.

It is also boredom managment, carelessness management, frustration management.
Old 25-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #32
Fez WQ

Perth to Adelaide
2 days and 2700km with 110 speed limit, way too slow most people sit on 120kmh plus
Old 25-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #33
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez WQ
Perth to Adelaide
2 days and 2700km with 110 speed limit, way too slow most people sit on 120kmh plus
nonstop at 110kmh is 25hrs...
at 120kmh its 23hrs...
And the difference is??
Is 2hrs really going to make that much of a difference?
Either way you need to stop somewhere over night for a break.
Driving 12hrs non-stop like some people do is idiotic, wether at 110kmh or 120kmh.
I hear people say, drink plenty of coffee, redbull etc etc... that clearly shows your body isnt capable of doing the trip if you need caffine or stimulants to stay awake and is an accident waiting to happen.

If people are in that much of a hurry, why not fly?

A 2800km trip one way would not doubt need at least 5 refills of fuel in a 60lt tank in a car whick burns 10lt/100km. An average of $300 for fuel alone.
Plus say $90 for a motel, not to mention food etc....
wear and tear on the car....
the fact your tired by the time you get there..
and the time wasted...
(unless you drive trucks etc for a living)

Then we go back to driver attitude, which in most cases is very poor in this country.

The crappy road system and congestion in larger cities....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 25-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #34
XC_Lizzard

Quote:
. . .
Because, quite often it is quicker (and Cheaper) to drive.

For example to fly from Melbourne to central west NSW, allowing for the recommended check-in times, transfers and connections at Sydney, will take as long as driving (and then you need to pay for a rental car to be mobile at the destination)
Old 25-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #35
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Try hitting a boomer at 140kph.
Speed limits out in the country are fine at 110, most of the roads wouldn't be able to safely support 140. It's the low performance drivers that need changing.
Old 25-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #36
hardlynormal

Quote:

A 2800km trip one way would not doubt need at least 5 refills of fuel in a 60lt tank in a car whick burns 10lt/100km. An average of $300 for fuel alone.
and the time wasted...
if its a one way trip, then you may have a large amount of luggage.
you may also need you car where you're travelling to
you may have multiple people traveling, what if you're not going somewhere with a major airport? no budget jetstar flights.

not everyone wanting 130-140 speed limits are doing business trips from melbourne to sydney.
Old 25-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Perth to Adelaide
you blokes wingeing about 100/110 kph make me larf, at the other end of the scale, i can remember doing robinvale Vic to Merredin WA 2700 k`s odd at 80 kph , i was on a working holiday aroun oz, my wheels were an old g60 h 1976 nissan patrol (truck gearing), its best consumption was at that speed(still shocking), don`t ask how long it took.
Old 25-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #38
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its a one way trip.. as in moving... what the rush to get there?

This is one thing which kills people is everyone is in a hurry to go nowhere.
Its not as if its life threatening if you get there in24hrs as opposed to 26hrs?

My responce was to the example given to long distance travel of 2800km.
An increase in the speed limit does what?
Little to no advantage.
Over a short distance of 100km what will a speed increase from 100kmh to 110 achieve? or even 120?

a few minutes?

Our major roads are choked which is why we drive so damned slow everywhere.

Some of the goat tracks we have to endure in QLD is pathetic and there is no way increasing the speed limit would help at all unless the roads are improved.

Instead of arguing and bickering about speed limits, how about we ask for decent roads first so we dont kill ourselves when we hit a pothole at 130kmh....

Old 25-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #39
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If its a one way trip.. as in moving... what the rush to get there?

This is one thing which kills people is everyone is in a hurry to go nowhere.
Its not as if its life threatening if you get there in24hrs as opposed to 26hrs?

My responce was to the example given to long distance travel of 2800km.
An increase in the speed limit does what?
Little to no advantage.
Over a short distance of 100km what will a speed increase from 100kmh to 110 achieve? or even 120?

Listen, no-one is talking about being in a hurry, understand?

They are talking about the fact that reducing limits encourages people to devote less energy to the task of driving, therefore they are more easily distracted, concentrate less and 'zone out'.

People travelling at a speed well below the conditions will simply not pay attention and make stupid errors.

Its not about getting there quicker (although this is another positive for fatigue, restlessness and alertness issues), its about driving at a speed which keeps the brain engaged at the task of travelling many hundreds of kilometres of boring straight road.

All things being equal, my opinion is that someone travelling faster will be more alert, more switched on and less fatigued in long-distance driving.

Your opinion is that someone going slower will be more alert, more switched on and less fatigued in long-distance driving.

We differ in opinions, but that is what these forums are about. To discuss different viewpoints.
Old 25-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #40
XC_Lizzard

Quote:
In your example those 2 hours driving could be the difference between a 2 day trip and a 3 day trip.

In a real world example, the reduction of the speed limit from 110 to 100 on the Newell Highway in NSW has changed a trip that I do about 3 times a year from 8.5 hours to 10 hours, and the fatigue resulting from that extra 1.5 hours is very noticable. (Before speed cameras & double demerit points, it was less than 8 hours to do the same trip - but that is not related to speed limits).

The reduction in speed limits (or not increasing speed limits to 110) on roads where it is safe to do so, only increases the dangers of fatigue related accidents. Increasing the speed limit does not mean that everybody has to travel at that speed. If people are only comfortable doing 80 or 90 on long trips and make overnight stops along the way, then personally I am happy for them to do so (as long as they appreciate that others will want to get past them).
Old 25-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #41
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Just remember, speed limits are necessary to manage vehicle speed in adverse conditions rather than in good conditions.

I do travel long distances and I do wish the speed limit was raised but it has to suit the conditions and currently there are few roads that have variable speed limits matched to road conditions.

If the speed limit was generally raised to 120 or 130 or 140 and there was torrential rain. Guess what; there would be a bunch of people driving at 120-140 in the rain, it would be their god given right to do so, never mind that they can't see the road!

After driving for over 30 years, I have seem many imbeciles who think they own the road, race above speed limits, not care about road conditions. They do not appreciate their limitations, their cars limitations or the limits of the other motorists.

Just a thought, if a sleep deprived, speeding driver crashed into your car and hurt your family? How would you feel, what would you do?
Old 25-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #42
XC_Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
. . .If the speed limit was generally raised to 120 or 130 or 140 and there was torrential rain. Guess what; there would be a bunch of people driving at 120-140 in the rain, it would be their god given right to do so, never mind that they can't see the road! . . .
Isn't that when Darwin's theory of natural selection kicks in .

In torrential rain 30 of 40 km/h can be too fast, so should we introduce an national blanket speed limit of 25 km/h?

You cannot legislate against stupidity. The proper mechanism for regulating that type of behaviour is in the the issuing (and enforcement) of driving licences (but driver education is a whole different debate, although not entirely unrelated).
Old 25-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats a fair comment cheap, but a lot of what you said is attitude and driver training problems, or yes they are just imbeciles, probably less about the speed more often than not, some people just should`nt drive full stop, i had a bloke in datto 1200 ute overloaded to the hilt pull in front of my heavily loaded semi doing 100 kph, he came from an on ramp crossed 2 lanes and proped in front of me, he was at 60 kph app, theres plenty of people on the road like this.
Old 25-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #44
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
I do a fair bit of long distance driving myself and I've always thought 100/110 for hours on end, on our substandard interstate highways is deadly boredom and a disaster waiting to happen. Can we do anything about this? Considering the other 2 incidents that happened just hours earlier were not hoon-related at all, our authorities seriously need to be sacked if "..police would be out in force next weekend cracking down on motorists flouting the law..." is the solution.
After driving back from Sydney to Adelaide and Brisbane to Adelaide and a round trip to Bathurst over the last couple of months this year, I couldn't agree with you more. No matter what they try and argue, 100 kph is just too slow. It is however the right speed to send you to sleep. It has the right hum and given enough duration, it is as you suggest, "a recipe for disaster". I have found personally that they do not have to increase it by much to change this, 130 – 140 is about right. Many people that I have spoken to that have driven hours at this speed tend to agree, it puts you in to a totally different state of mind and you feel fresher and more alert, go figure.
Quote:
Perth to Adelaide
No way, couldn't be. I they were then there would be reported deaths daily, or is the Nullabor just to far away from media attention!
Quote:
If the speed limit was generally raised to 120 or 130 or 140 and there was torrential rain. Guess what; there would be a bunch of people driving at 120-140 in the rain, it would be their god given right to do so, never mind that they can't see the road!
I disagree. In France they have signs that read 130 or 110 when raining. Also I have been in bad rain conditions where people slow down to 30 or 40 kph on designated 100 - 110 roads because you just can not see to go any faster. The last time this happened was during a very heavy cloud burst (which included hail), was near just before Crafers on the South Eastern Freeway where people were actually stopping and seeking shelter under over passes while others where barely moving at all. No one was told to slow down (it happened well before the electronic sign posts) they just did. Not everyone is a brainless moron. And the ones that are, well they just ignore the law regardless and you can not legislate against this type of mentality anyway.

Bud Bud
Old 25-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #45
Skotty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
I would like to see some study on heart rates/stress levels on average joes in situations like overtaking b dubs etc in a simulator . I have no doubt fitness levels come in to play on distance related driving with elevated stress levels like holiday traffic and or poor weather.
Very much agreed! I done a Adelaide - Mt Gambier trip once with my ex, we took her car, she drove... she had a 1993 (i think) KH Laser, 1.6L Auto... and we were stuck behind a b-double doing ~80kp/h.. and she was use to adelaide city driving and was freaking out when overtaking..

Higher speed limits are a good idea, but then you have the ***** boxes that won't be able to comfortably be able to do them, because there will always be the lower end of society that can't afford the latest and greatest falcon/commodore and their smaller older car they don't think feels safe and stable doing high speeds... (Hell I felt un-nerved doing a 1000km trip in the Laser... thew the ex the keys to my Fairmont and it was different lol!)
Old 25-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #46
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
It's the low performance drivers that need changing.
and a lot of the time, its not even their actual physical skill, but more the mental side of things. attitude is a massive part of owning and driving a car. many people are extremely blaze about driving long distances and obeying traffic laws, whether you agree with them or not, seems to be optional.

you can't blame speed limits for people falling off the road.

you have to know your capabilities and respect them. if you try to push through, you are playing with more than just your own life.
Old 25-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #47
Skotty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
After driving back from Sydney to Adelaide and Brisbane to Adelaide and a round trip to Bathurst over the last couple of months this year, I couldn't agree with you more. No matter what they try and argue, 100 kph is just too slow. It is however the right speed to send you to sleep. It has the right hum and given enough duration, it is as you suggest, "a recipe for disaster". I have found personally that they do not have to increase it by much to change this, 130 – 140 is about right. Many people that I have spoken to that have driven hours at this speed tend to agree, it puts you in to a totally different state of mind and you feel fresher and more alert, go figure.
No way, couldn't be. I they were then there would be reported deaths daily, or is the Nullabor just to far away from media attention!
I disagree. In France they have signs that read 130 or 110 when raining. Also I have been in bad rain conditions where people slow down to 30 or 40 kph on designated 100 - 110 roads because you just can not see to go any faster. The last time this happened was during a very heavy cloud burst (which included hail), was near just before Crafers on the South Eastern Freeway where people were actually stopping and seeking shelter under over passes while others where barely moving at all. No one was told to slow down (it happened well before the electronic sign posts) they just did. Not everyone is a brainless moron. And the ones that are, well they just ignore the law regardless and you can not legislate against this type of mentality anyway.

Bud Bud
That's the catch, gotta watch out with the rain at the higher speeds too, me and a mate done a Gawler - Tarlee run (only 37 km lol) but sat on 140+ alot of the way, it was about 1 - 2am, and started raining... Had to back it off as soon as it started to rain because the BA wipers at even 130 couldn't cope with trying to keep the windscreen clear! there couldn't go up and down proper with the speed of the car... so the car might handle at them speeds but what about other compents when someone who just thinks "i can do 130 its all good" wont slow down...

Learnt that night that the nice expensive pentenza's saved our **** o_O
Old 25-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #48
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotty
Very much agreed! I done a Adelaide - Mt Gambier trip once with my ex, we took her car, she drove... she had a 1993 (i think) KH Laser, 1.6L Auto... and we were stuck behind a b-double doing ~80kp/h.. and she was use to adelaide city driving and was freaking out when overtaking...
My Mrs still dose even at 110. Half the problem is, she just does not know how to go safely around another car doing around 103-105 without going over 110. It just frightens her so much that she concedes to just following someone k after k because it is just easier.

I should add that if the speed limit was raised to say 130, it would not mean that everybody would have to do it if they preferred not to. If 100 suited some then fine, (so long as they are not sitting in the RH lane on a duel carriageway or over taking lanes) but at least it would break up the flow a bit more. It would also provide for safer overtaking manoeuvres because the speed limit would not be a critical factor until 130.
[QUOTE=Skotty]That's the catch, gotta watch out with the rain at the higher speeds too, me and a mate done a Gawler - Tarlee run (only 37 km lol) but sat on 140+ alot of the way, it was about 1 - 2am, and started raining... Had to back it off as soon as it started to rain because the BA wipers at even 130 couldn't cope with trying to keep the windscreen clear! there couldn't go up and down proper with the speed of the car... so the car might handle at them speeds but what about other compents when someone who just thinks "i can do 130 its all good" wont slow down...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotty
That's the catch, gotta watch out with the rain at the higher speeds too, me and a mate done a Gawler - Tarlee run (only 37 km lol) but sat on 140+ alot of the way, it was about 1 - 2am, and started raining... Had to back it off as soon as it started to rain because the BA wipers at even 130 couldn't cope with trying to keep the windscreen clear! there couldn't go up and down proper with the speed of the car... so the car might handle at them speeds but what about other compents when someone who just thinks "i can do 130 its all good" wont slow down...
legally set limits north of Gawler aside, did you slow down because because you felt it was safer and smarter to slow down or did you slow down because the wipers failed at that speed?

Bud Bud
Old 25-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #49
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fatigue and what is the cause is a question that has been looked at for years.I have been involved in a few studies conducted by various uni's and work safe groups, there are just to many variants to blanket cover with a one fix solution, I ran express Melb to Syd over night for 18 years and have left home sunday night after a good break and rest and still have been wasted before the boarder, other days I can run straight through with just the legal breaks, Now running all over the country side for the last 10 years I get to rest when I feel I need it which is a far better solution for me. While speed and the speed limit have proven to be a small factor it is not the easy fix just to up the limits 20 or 30 kph ( apart from the problem you get as most here have stated they do a few Ks over anyway your 120 or 130 become 140 150 that when things start to get interesting ) as you soon ajust to these speeds after a month or 2 and the same problem arises. The main thing is driver attitude and responsability and being aware of the warning signs with in your own body instead of trying to be a hero every time you set out . my 2c

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 25-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #50
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Driving 12hrs non-stop like some people do is idiotic, wether at 110kmh or 120kmh.
Oh please! I work 12 hour shifts, with an hour of travel at the start and finish so really it is 14 hours. Ok it is not driving the whole time but when I am not driving I am still using my mind, we don't get to sit around much now and most shifts we are lucky to get a single meal break. The driving is often at high speed in emergency conditions and we do 4 12 hour shifts in a row (I often do a 5th as an overtime shift).

I do not see how you can say you are an idiot driving 12 hours straight, I can do it easy and have done upwards of 16 in one long stint (Perth-Karratha in a day) on many occasions. I am sure there are many others out there that can. Fatigue identification and management is the key, not the amount of time travelled. I might be able to do 16 hrs straight, yet another person might be trashed after 6, its about knowing your limits. Yes I put regular rest breaks in but most people do now, including most of those that come unstuck.

Personally I think higher limits with appropriate roads and adequate vehicle safety inspections is a long way forward on fatigue management. The NT has seen a rise in road fatalities on their highways since the introduction of the 130 limit.

Decreasing speed does not always increase safety, it can actually decrease safety in some circumstances. The hard part for the government is increasing the quality of cars, quality of drivers and the quality of the roads. It is much easier for them to lower the speed limit, and install more cameras. That way they make money instead of spending it and the general public believe efforts are being made, a win win for the government without any effort of brain power used.
Old 25-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #51
dylancox

On the other end of the scale, how many of you have seen ridiculous speed limits that are obviously too high for the type of road? Recently took a drive to mount Baw Baw in Victoria, and there was this road with a 100kph limit. I was horrified at the high number of blind corners, hairpin turns.. only a WW2 Kamikaze Pilot would be driving at those speeds. On another recent trip to Tamworth, NSW, I took the backway and my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw one of those obsolete ( // ) no speed restriction sign on an atrocious one lane road with no markings. Probably one of the last ones in NSW? hahaha

Are these all relics of a dangerous, adventurous country that Australia was once upon a time, or what?
Old 25-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #52
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just remember, speed limits are necessary to manage vehicle speed in adverse conditions rather than in good conditions.

I do travel long distances and I do wish the speed limit was raised but it has to suit the conditions and currently there are few roads that have variable speed limits matched to road conditions.

After driving for over 30 years, I have seem many imbeciles who think they own the road, race above speed limits, not care about road conditions. They do not appreciate their limitations, their cars limitations or the limits of the other motorists.

Just a thought, if a sleep deprived, speeding driver crashed into your car and hurt your family? How would you feel, what would you do?
And this is the centre of the problem with speed limits.

We have raise a whole generation of morons who believe that the magic number on the sign is the speed that MUST be travelled at.

Above it is instant suicide and below it is ignorant and socially inept.

The advantage that the (//) demonstrates most obviously is that there is NO magic number so you drive at the speed you feel is appropriate.

Many of those who have never legally gone faster than 110 often have delusions that everyone will be doing 300km/h and all travel will be like V8supercars.

The truth is that once you have gone hyper speed a few times you will just drive at what you think is safe.

Like the thrill of your first legal drink in a pub or first time sleeping with a friend, once you have done it a couple of times you are not so wound up in the hype and proceed normally.

How many times have you seen on TV some wowser claiming that everyone who drinks is a criminal and addict?
What exactly is "binge drinking"?

I think it was created by the same stupid mentality that that babbles on about speeding.

After all, in the real world what is the difference between "alcopop tax" and "safety camera tax"?
Old 25-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #53
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
nonstop at 110kmh is 25hrs...
at 120kmh its 23hrs...
And the difference is??
Is 2hrs really going to make that much of a difference?
Either way you need to stop somewhere over night for a break.
I hear people say, drink plenty of coffee, redbull etc etc... that clearly shows your body isnt capable of doing the trip if you need caffine or stimulants to stay awake and is an accident waiting to happen.

and the time wasted...
(unless you drive trucks etc for a living)

Then we go back to driver attitude, which in most cases is very poor in this country.

The crappy road system and congestion in larger cities....
You really have no idea what so ever have you......

Driving at night and close to dusk/dawn is bloody dangerous once you leav the coast so you have maybe 6-8 hours of safe travelling time.

This make that trip about 5 days and you assume there is actually accomodation available along the way.

Travelling by air is a good idea if you have no luggage, want to go to a major regional city and do not want to travel around when you get there.

Have you actually driven in open zones or across the country away from the coastal highway?

And when I say driven I mean YOU DRIVING BY YOURSELF, not share driving or in a bus or whatever.
Old 25-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #54
Bobman
Regulator

Government's solution to the weekend carnage = more speed cameras.

Very sad considering that speed is only a factor in a small percentage of road fatalities each year. Also worse is the fact that Victoria's road toll is up by about 15% compared to last year despite a 50% increase in speed cameras.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 25-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #55
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Wow.. i thought Brisbane to Melbourne is around 1800km and you did that in a day? Took the backroads? or else you would have taken about 22 hours or something crazy like that

17 hours 45 min there abouts from Broadmeadows to Clayfield in Brisbane, fuel stops = food and pee stops and nothing in between, travelling up the Newell or Newell/new England, will be longer now that some Muppet thought the Newell needs 100 limits as you could push it along at 115-120 with out too many issues as long as you slowed for towns along the way.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 25-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #56
JG34JA

Default My 2c

Agree with those who support self-regulation. Combined with a sentient approach to one's limits, experience and an understanding of dangers involved, it is the best way.

I was lucky and traveled most of this continent in a working role, on and off the national highways and road network. One trip in particular comes to mind, on unrestricted NT roads. I found 150km/h was actually too much for the vehicle - its rear suspension bottomed out on what at lower speeds would be undulations in the (second rate) road. So I backed off to 135-145. At this speed concentration was demanded, and the road needed to be "read" a great deal further into the distance. And it was safe, and I arrived alert and comfortable.

There was a time in Australian history when air travel was expensive, the roads were less developed, and there were no numerical speed limits. The best way to travel interstate was in a really well sorted car with great comfort to banish the fatigue, and reasonable economy for the speeds being done. It is no coincidence that today, the cars from this era are worth more than those of other times. I think of the road test of the XY GS 302 getting 13L/100km going at a solid 80 miles an hour as a reference for this. For its time it was refined, comfortable, economical and comparatively safe. Testers mentioned how both the 250 and V8 XY's 'ate up the miles' - a reference to this virtue.

As far as the increasing regulation on Australian roads goes - if a centrally planned society actually worked, the Soviet Union would still be around...
Old 25-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #57
20focus05
I wanna XR5

It comes down to "When you are behind the wheel JUST DRIVE" no matter what speed.
At higher speeds you just die faster!
Concentration!
There is no easy answer and will never be fixed unless cars are covered in bubble wrap and are kept away from each other and things.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
Old 25-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #58
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
17 hours 45 min there abouts from Broadmeadows to Clayfield in Brisbane, fuel stops = food and pee stops and nothing in between, travelling up the Newell or Newell/new England, will be longer now that some Muppet thought the Newell needs 100 limits as you could push it along at 115-120 with out too many issues as long as you slowed for towns along the way.

+1

Pakenham to Stanthorpe, straight up the Newell. 16hrs up, 15hrs back.

And only food/fuel & toilet stops along the way. Left 5pm (dst) Christmas Nite, arrived 9am (dst) boxing day

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 25-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #59
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Single lane either way, 100kmh is fast enough.

Dual carriage way with a buffer in the middle, 140 on the outer lane, 110 on the inner
Absolutely not:- Keep left unless overtaking applies - the WHOLE of the road is subejct to the same signposted limit (or derestriction). If we did as you suggest we'd be the odd country out, of those nations on Earth who are parties to the UN Road Traffic Conventions.

Quote:
On another recent trip to Tamworth, NSW, I took the backway and my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw one of those obsolete ( // ) no speed restriction sign on an atrocious one lane road with no markings. Probably one of the last ones in NSW? hahaha

Are these all relics of a dangerous, adventurous country that Australia was once upon a time, or what?
The (//) sign was withdrawn from future application in NSW in the 2004 edition of the Speed Zoning Guidelines". So, yes - you are seeing old signs.

AS 1742.4 of 2009 has removed the sign from the Australian signs database. The academic idea is to prevent any elected Australian parliament from re-using it ever again.

The NATIONAL REPLACEMENT for the derestriction sign is the R4-12 "END SPEED-LIMIT" sign. HOWEVER, this one falls to the jurisdictions "rural default". Its to be used primarily on sub-standard quality rural roads - to invoke caution.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/in...ow&id=r4/r4-12
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 25-10-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 25-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #60
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You really have no idea what so ever have you......

Driving at night and close to dusk/dawn is bloody dangerous once you leav the coast so you have maybe 6-8 hours of safe travelling time.

This make that trip about 5 days and you assume there is actually accomodation available along the way.

Travelling by air is a good idea if you have no luggage, want to go to a major regional city and do not want to travel around when you get there.

Have you actually driven in open zones or across the country away from the coastal highway?

And when I say driven I mean YOU DRIVING BY YOURSELF, not share driving or in a bus or whatever.

Yes of course i have no idea... as you consider anyone on here with an opinion contray to yours an ahole....

If you read prior my post you will see i was replying to someones post that he drove it in 2 days.... not 5.

Again... an increase in the speed limit by 10kmh or 20kmh will achieve what?
A few minutes over a short distance... wowee...
2 hours over a 2800km journey.. hmmm yes i can see the advantage right away

But then you didnt bother to respond to my comments about poor ATTITUDE (look at me im a man no one tells me what to do on the road) and the CRAP roads we have....

All these arguements about raising the speed limits are a waste of time until people change and actually learn how to drive a car properly( safely and without the agro attitude you see) and then our highways actually upgraded so thats its actually safe to do so.

I have driven long distances on my own for your information and its more unplesant then driving with someone, as the "oh **** im about to die" experiences (because i have nearly been run off the road on each trip by some moron head on or overtaking at the wrong time) on your own really dont sit well with me somehow.

Closed Thread