Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #31
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Hyundai Veloster a sell-out success

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
Interesting to see the typical human element raise it's head when they become threatened.

Hyundai is not the little company so many parochial Aussies assume they are. There is no doubt that they have moved ahead in massive leaps in terms of range, build quality and style in the last ten year in comparison to Ford or Holden for that matter. Corolla knocking off Commodore for top spot and Mazda 3 in the chase is a sign that big sixes aren't here to stay and smaller, efficient cars with all the fruit are slowly taking over.
If you want to assume the worst, you'll be left behind. If I get the chance to buy wifey a new car next year, I'll certainly look at the turbo version, along with MPS 3, Golf GTi. The requirements and small to mid size, has a bit of poke but must handle well....What does Fraud offer under 40k?
Hold out for the Focus ST which hopefully is released next year and if Ford AU pull their head out and get it here the same time.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Hold out for the Focus ST which hopefully is released next year and if Ford AU pull their head out and get it here the same time.
and at a reasonable price..not a wallet gouging price...
Old 29-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #33
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
It's a sad state of affairs for society when rubbish like this sells well.
So you have driven one then eh? Good on em I reckon, its a nice looking car IMO. If they can get it to handle and steer they will have a winner.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #34
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Well yes the RS they brought out was painful with the price.
The ST/XR5 was pretty good value (35/36k) though in saying that they really limited the customer to options. I have to say I was disappointed by Ford AU not providing better options, i know Ford EU restricted them to a point but I mean even the basics of bluetooth would have been nice.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #35
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Current re: discontinued XR5 wasn't even pricey, RS was.
Wretched, LV has Bluetooth.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #36
BHDOGS
Banned

Yup its maccas cars get as much as you can for little money and the buyers will come.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #37
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive never owned a hyundai in the past due to their bad reputation but i really think in the last few years they have turned a corner.there is a lot of intrest in this car and i think hyundai have marketed it well and it sits in a comfortable price range.im also looking forward to seeing how their service department runs (but with 5 years unlimited kms i think we will be ok )so far we have been impressed and have been fussed over via the all sales people (and even the dealer princable)

weve put our deposit down on a Veloster+ as it ticks all of the boxs that we want.
Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

These days, it more to do with Bang for Buck and doing it while still looking good. Hyundai have obviously found this market and statistics are showing it to be a winner. You can't hate on them for appealing to the masses.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #39
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Yup its maccas cars get as much as you can for little money and the buyers will come.
Yeah, you're right.

I'd rather pay inflated prices and get very little in return, makes economic sense now you're pointed that out

In all seriousness, some of the features you get in a 35k Hyundai is pretty bloody good! Keyless entry and start, heaps of safety features, pretty good fit and finish including the cabin. As I read this morning, hyundai were tipped to give Toyota a run, they've now changed their tune and are heading straight for European hatch backs.
Honestly, after having many Corollas through the workshop and having several late model Hyundai's and Kia's through...I know who'd get my money.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #40
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I owned/have owned two hyundai's. Last year's ix35 highlander and up until a few weeks ago I had a 1997 excel. Most people knock the excels but mine had 250,000k's on it. I had the excel for 2 years and took it from 200k's up to 250 and it never missed a beat. I bought it from an old guy that had kept it serviced its whole life and had receipts for everything he had spent on it.

My wife has a 2011 ix35. It is 2 litre turbo diesel and has all the bells and whistles you could want in a family. Heated leather seats, sunroof, 2 zone climate control, reverse camera and sensors, goes pretty well (120kw and 390Nm) and gets good economy (average 7-8l/100k's). I tried to get my wife to buy a fg xr6t but she didn't like the dash or the interior as it wasn't stylish enough.

The service department at Hyundai is fine. Car is ready on time, I've had 2 warranty jobs done on it. One reverse sensor died and there was a tsb for noisy brakes which resulted in New pads all round and new front rotors. There was no arguing for warranty work, I just told them what it was doing and came ba k to find items replaced as needed.

I think most people still think they are a company punching out $12k drive away no more to pay excels, but they have stepped up to make decent cars for a good price.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #41
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the Genesis gets here..it will make Ford and Holden lift their game!!
"Genesis Engines.. Class-leading and award-winning 3.8L V6, 4.6L and 5.0L V8 engines provide power, efficiency and something to brag about. Such as the all-new 8-speed automatic transmission that isn’t available in other luxury models like the Mercedes-Benz E550 or Infiniti M."

Last edited by csv8; 29-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #42
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im looking at getting either a roomy hatch or wagon in a year or so's time. The Veloster may be too small for what I need it for. (carry 2 bikes in the back) But that doesn't mean another model in the Hyundai range won't fit the bill. Hyundai will certainly be on the test drive list when the time comes.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #43
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Im looking at getting either a roomy hatch or wagon in a year or so's time. The Veloster may be too small for what I need it for. (carry 2 bikes in the back) But that doesn't mean another model in the Hyundai range won't fit the bill. Hyundai will certainly be on the test drive list when the time comes.
yea not much room in the back (you can fold rear seats down but) the i40 wagon looked nice aswell tell em dave sent ya lol
Old 29-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #44
blueoval
Critical Thinker

yeah I dont mind the i40 wagon. Its not bad looking.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #45
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When the Genesis gets here..it will make Ford and Holden lift their game!!
"Genesis Engines.. Class-leading and award-winning 3.8L V6, 4.6L and 5.0L V8 engines provide power, efficiency and something to brag about. Such as the all-new 8-speed automatic transmission that isn’t available in other luxury models like the Mercedes-Benz E550 or Infiniti M."
agreed ford and holden will have some real dramas when the genesis hits our shores theyve already causing a stir in the usa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYay3bPFMGw

Last edited by Oxa384; 29-03-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: link
Old 29-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Genesis sedan isn't coming here, Hyundai has already said so. Only the coupe, which is turbo 4 and V6, not V8.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2577D6001865C9
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
And many forum members are already saying "If Ford could only get a marketing and product development team to generate the sales and growth that that silly Hundy brand is achieving... then they might actually be worth buying ...."

Hows that 'new' Kuga thinggo going??? I see the sticky post count has just left the teens

Haters will always do what they do best.....
Kuga is selling as many as they can get, demand has been really good. Supply is limited though.

Last time I checked Ford outsold Hyundai last year.

There's no doubt they are very good quality, with excellent value and equipment levels. Same old story though, the ride, handling and steering doesn't match the rest of the car. When they get the dynamics right then look out everyone else.
Old 29-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't see why people praise the Focus for being a good handler, particularily the LV. Mine is a floaty piece of crap which will understeer quite badly if pushed.

I've had to get progressive springs, which fixed the forwards/backwards motion, its in at the moment for an adjustable rear sway bar and on Saturday its in for new tyres.

Has nothing on my WS Fiesta, that thing is like a go-kart, that is something Ford did right.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
23990 for a Hybrid with touch screen and smart key entry. It will sell it socks off.
Just read they plan on selling 100 a month, about half of what Prius does. Not exactly setting the world on fire.
Old 29-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #50
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Kuga is selling as many as they can get, demand has been really good. Supply is limited though.

Last time I checked Ford outsold Hyundai last year.

There's no doubt they are very good quality, with excellent value and equipment levels. Same old story though, the ride, handling and steering doesn't match the rest of the car. When they get the dynamics right then look out everyone else.
At that price point, I think ride, handling and steering are the least of a buyers concerns.....

Do you really think that is how most people shop? It looks hot and has awesome street presence. That's half the sales pitch. Throw in the 3 door design, the extended warranty and the standard equipment, that's the rest of the sales pitch. All thats left to choose is colour and transmission.

I doubt people are looking for a high performance sports car that pulls high G's when cornering and can do the 1/4 in 13 flat at $24,990.

Judging by the sales... do you actually think Hyundai need to 'get things right'???? I think the product is spot on, it has a strong foundation and improves from there with more engine options and added features.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #51
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I don't see why people praise the Focus for being a good handler, particularily the LV. Mine is a floaty piece of crap which will understeer quite badly if pushed.

I've had to get progressive springs, which fixed the forwards/backwards motion, its in at the moment for an adjustable rear sway bar and on Saturday its in for new tyres.

Has nothing on my WS Fiesta, that thing is like a go-kart, that is something Ford did right.
Must be different from base models to XR5 then because mine is quite sharp.
Old 29-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
At that price point, I think ride, handling and steering are the least of a buyers concerns.....

Do you really think that is how most people shop? It looks hot and has awesome street presence. That's half the sales pitch. Throw in the 3 door design, the extended warranty and the standard equipment, that's the rest of the sales pitch. All thats left to choose is colour and transmission.

I doubt people are looking for a high performance sports car that pulls high G's when cornering and can do the 1/4 in 13 flat at $24,990.

Judging by the sales... do you actually think Hyundai need to 'get things right'???? I think the product is spot on, it has a strong foundation and improves from there with more engine options and added features.
Its supposed to be a sports coupe though isn't it. Thats what its marketed as.

To be honest I couldn't care less what Hyundai need to do, I don't run the company. I'm sure they are happy with their sales and thats all that would matter to them. Like Toyota, i'm sure they couldn't care less what enthusiasts think. But they also need to expect they will have very little credibility with people who know what makes a car great.

Hyundai are pretty much the Korean whitegoods on wheels car company, but they aren't as boring looking as Toyotas.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #53
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lot of opinions here...
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #54
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Fiesta ST @ $26k will crush this market when it gets released (if they keep the pricing around that point ... let's hope Ford Aus do the right thing).

Undercuts the Polo GTi, the Veloster Turbo, the new FT86 and will beat them all in handling, 0-100 times and total package.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #55
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Hyundai are pretty much the Korean whitegoods on wheels car company, but they aren't as boring looking as Toyotas.
I'd actually dispute that these days. They're putting out interesting cars like the Genesis V8, Genesis Coupe V6 (which does 5.2 seconds to 100 and 13 second passes), now the Veloster turbo. Toyota on the other hand, now THOSE are whitegoods. Hyundai atleast has an interesting range.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #56
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

To be honest I couldn't care less what Hyundai need to do, I don't run the company. I'm sure they are happy with their sales and thats all that would matter to them. Like Toyota, i'm sure they couldn't care less what enthusiasts think. But they also need to expect they will have very little credibility with people who know what makes a car great.

Chip on the shoulder much?
We get that you don't like Hyundai, pretty much every thread you've posted in has the same comments.

While I am not fan of Toyota your comments are incorrect, they actually do care about what enthusiasts think. The company CEO Akio Toyoda is a race fan, actually competed in the LeMans race. He cares very much what people have thought about the company and has since taking over the reins dedicated his time to turning the perception of his company around, when researching the 86/BRZ they went to many tuners and spoke to many customers about what it is they want in the car which has brought about the 86 in its current form. Lets not forget the Supras, the MR2s, LFA, etc.

Whilst your perception of Hyundai is making uninteresting cars, you must remember that the majority of their market is for cars to get from A to B. here they make their money, with that they can then concentrate on enthusiasts. They've dipped their toe in the water with the Tiburon which by most accounts wasn't a bad car, quite good actually. They then moved to the Genesis vehicles and now into the warmed hatch. To think Hyundai were a basket case not that long ago and to be where they are now takes most manufacturers a lot longer if ever.

So while you can keep your head in the sand about Hyundai's progress many others are taking notice. Sure the Veloster turbo may not be as precise in handling like a Focus but it won't be the whitegood you believe it to be. I wouldn't buy one while the Focus (and Megane) is around but I won't be ignoring it.
Old 30-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #57
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Yes, a sports coupe...not a perfomance coupe.

I would be hard to say the S(port)-pack falcons offered any great track abilities...

People are to literal these days.

People also don't go around like Jeremy Clarksons powersliding through corners and commenting on mid-corner speed. Its a pointless arguement

"Oh, it wont handle blah blah"

This is a car to drive to coffee shops, vinyards and hipster mums to drop kids of at school.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #58
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

The rear swaybar should make a huge difference, it has on my LV Zetec, and it handled not too bad before hand. I think you'll find the extra weight of the diesel engine could make yours a bit more floaty than the petrol variants.

Back on topic, Hyundai make some excellent vehicles and with the amount of goodies they have as standard equipment, they are always going to give other brands a good run for their money.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #59
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Yes, a sports coupe...not a perfomance coupe.

I would be hard to say the S(port)-pack falcons offered any great track abilities...

People are to literal these days.

People also don't go around like Jeremy Clarksons powersliding through corners and commenting on mid-corner speed. Its a pointless arguement

"Oh, it wont handle blah blah"

This is a car to drive to coffee shops, vinyards and hipster mums to drop kids of at school.
Well said.
Old 30-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #60
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
Fiesta ST @ $26k will crush this market when it gets released (if they keep the pricing around that point ... let's hope Ford Aus do the right thing).

Undercuts the Polo GTi, the Veloster Turbo, the new FT86 and will beat them all in handling, 0-100 times and total package.
I'll wait and see about this. I'm sure it'll handle great, but the Polo GTi is no slouch, and early reports of the FT86 indicate it's an excellent handler, although will be priced too high I think ($35k+)

I love the idea of a small hot hatch. We used to have a Ralliart Colt - that thing was amazing through the twisty stuff. It had Advan AD07 tyres standard and only weighed 1130kgs.

Hopefully Ford don't limit their market with manual only. It'd be nice to see a 6 speed auto strapped to their 1.6 Ecoboost in the little Fiesta.

I guess people can't come to terms with the fact that Hyundai are making some really good cars these days. I will always challenge people who say, "But Hyundai's don't steer or handle" Have you driven one? If the answer is no, then you aren't fit to comment.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post