Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #31
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh the car has log books and all

EDfutura25

I havent seen any EF/EL with under 100,000 or carnt remember seeing 1 for that much.

Anyone know how wholesale with dealerships work?

xbgs351

LOL yeh i dont know how to spell dodgy but now i do hahaha
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #32
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Apparently they keep the car for 45days then wholesale it. Im not familair with dealerships and wholesale thing they do. Can anyone explain to me ?
The way it works depends on the policy of the yard. Some will keep used cars for 45 days, others 90. After the specified number of days expires, representitives from an auction house come to view the car and put a figure on it. There may be more than one auction involved. The best offer usually wins. The dealer will generally lose money moving a car this way.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #33
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Mickyyy sorry but I just had to fix the thread title, I know Holden dealers are bad but calling them doggies is a bit much

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
No they don't and if I was the previous owner I would be alittle unhappy if my information was on display like that.
Most do, I know mine did and so did the mrs when we bought that.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #34
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
No they don't and if I was the previous owner I would be alittle unhappy if my information was on display like that.

Unless it's all changed the last time I looked they had them here in Vic.

But ye the service books will give you the servicing dealer/station so they would be a good help with regard to the general condition.

As for the price, way too much even if it was genuine k's, as Russell said around $5K-$6K would be right.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #35
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...CON&D=el%20xr6

EL XR6s don't come for $5000 very often unless they are in very average nick
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #36
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RATT

So after they put a value on it, is it then auctioned to public or to other dealerships?
Old 31-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If the autos slipping now just walk away. They cost over $2000 to rebuild.

Tell them if they want a sale, here's my number and i'll buy it once the cats fixed, then you can test drive it again and see wether it fixes the problem or not. Trust me, if they really want to sell it they will ring you. If they don't want to spend a few bucks on a new cat then somethings wrong, they are pretty cheap to buy, like $100-200.

Just walk away and tell them to ring you once its fixed if they want the sale.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #38
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
Unless it's all changed the last time I looked they had them here in Vic.

But ye the service books will give you the servicing dealer/station so they would be a good help with regard to the general condition.

As for the price, way too much even if it was genuine k's, as Russell said around $5K-$6K would be right.
In NSW they do not display the previous owners details.

I know it's also easy to say " I've seen them go for $5-7k" but finding one when you want one at that price is another matter.
Old 31-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #39
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
RATT

So after they put a value on it, is it then auctioned to public or to other dealerships?
If the dealers accepts the the auction reps price then the auction owns it. What they do with it is upto them. They would normally run it through one of their auctions/sales until they get the price they want. And because the public as well as dealers are usually at these auctions, the prices are not far removed what you would pay at a dealer anyway...
Old 31-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #40
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RATT

So in other words the auction house offer no way near what there asking then they sell it at the auction and make whatever is between???

Condition wise inside and out is imaculate, i havent seen anything in this condition ever. Im happy to pay 8k if its in good working order but obviously not.

The dealership have been calling me all day yesturday but i kept missing the calls. They want to sell but dont want to fix before i put any money down.
Old 31-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #41
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
They do here in Vic, I've seen many vehicle's at dealership's with all 2nd hand vehicles for sale with the previous owner's detail's.....
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #42
Ringo
I see you....

RACV / NRMA check will not cost you much and could give you some answers as to what is wonrg with it....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #43
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there's that much available, i really dont understand why anyone would muck around with inspections etc on a suspect car.

it sounds like you've made up your mind and are simply looking for some sort of affirmation....
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #44
TRRTRY

RACV check it mate - cheap insurance, they also go over and above normal RWC inspections
TRRTRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #45
zak88
FG GT

there is an old saying "if you know something is wrong with it, don't touch it".
u will only have u self to blame if u buy something that u r not 100% happy with it in the first place.
Old 31-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #46
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

Quote:
RATT

So in other words the auction house offer no way near what there asking then they sell it at the auction and make whatever is between???

Condition wise inside and out is imaculate, i havent seen anything in this condition ever. Im happy to pay 8k if its in good working order but obviously not.

The dealership have been calling me all day yesturday but i kept missing the calls. They want to sell but dont want to fix before i put any money down.

Mate,

Tell em:

1. If they want to sell the car then you want an RACV check prior to any money or contracts being signed.
2. Once the check is done, say that you want these items fixed and make them part of the contract for sale.
3. Sign the contract and put the money down.

Then have the car checked again, prior to to you taking delivery.

It may work out more expensive for you (for the inspections), but if they arent willing to do these things (which is of no cost to them) then run a mile.

Cheers

David.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #47
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
RATT

They (the dealer) don't sell it at the auction, they sell it to the auction house who sell it themselves pocket the profit, not the dealer.
Sometimes they get exactly what they want. ie. They may have traded it in for $5000, and are advertising it for $7990. If they have had it for over a specified amount of time and are only being offered $5000-5500 from a private buyer then it's in their best interest to wholesale it as they have no warranty liability.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #48
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it ends up going to a auction house and i can track it down and buy it for less then id buy it straight away becuz at least i can compensate if something major is wrong with it eg gearbox rebuild or engine rebuild.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #49
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get an inspection, it may be as simple as a tune up needed. My daughters car recently had slurring/slipping auto, she rang me up saying auto fkd,i said take to mechanic, he did a tune and replaced dizzy, all good. Get an inspection if you think the car is worth it. Ring the dealer back and find out what they want. How hard is it? Stop speculating.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #50
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They'll get 2 parts of bugger all if they wholesale the car.

I just purchased a car and the dealer was saying by law they have to have the previous owners details listed on the sale sheet.

Also good advice recently given to me, you have to be prepared to walk away. I walked away from the ute that I just purchased... rung him up 2 days later and suprisingly had better bargaining power
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #51
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Melz
I just purchased a car and the dealer was saying by law they have to have the previous owners details listed on the sale sheet.[/QUOTE]

Not in NSW and I'm not sure where Mickkyyy is.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #52
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I used to work in a dealership and I can give you some advice if your crazy enough to buy it. Look at the words they use in the contract like "check for faulty cat converter" they will just say "sure we checked it and yep its stuffed" but because in the contract it says "check" they dont have to fix it.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #53
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A New Year's Resolution for you.

Walk away from this car. There will be others.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #54
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GK right on LOL

Vegabass

If they write this in the contract

"Mechanic found blocked cat converter which needs to be replaced as car is in poor running order"

If they write that down then im safe from getting cought up in the BU$#S%&T contract.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #55
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That doesn't say THEY need to replace it... they are recommending it to be replaced
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #56
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Here's one in Echuca for $7K that the guy needs to move so he is obviously negotiable, have it checked and offer him $6k, the k's are about twice what the one you're looking at are but still low for the age. They're out their if you only look, and remember patience is it's own virtue, it worked for me I was patient and got an F6 straight swapped for an XR8. :

http://ninemsn.carpoint.com.au/used-...sn6465535.aspx

Last edited by XRQTR; 01-01-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #57
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
GK right on LOL

Vegabass

If they write this in the contract

"Mechanic found blocked cat converter which needs to be replaced as car is in poor running order"

If they write that down then im safe from getting cought up in the BU$#S%&T contract.

Micky firstly which state are you in champ??

Second and most important is that any faults that are found need to be written on the contract prior to any signing by yourself as:

"(item) to be repaired/replaced by the dealer as a condition of sale and prior to any final payment"

Make sure that this is written for every item that is found faulty or in need of replacement individually, but most important is have the car checked again prior to final payment to ensure all items have been rectified as specified on the contract.

Whatever you do if you go ahead with this car DON'T make final payment and most especially DO NOT TAKE POSESSION of the car until it's all been fixed. Once the car is off there lot then they will F you around with the repairs until you get sick of hassling them and go somewhere else to pay for it.

Do not accept anything less than what is specified in the contract.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #58
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Actually just found out that as of the start of December 08 Vic car yards are no longer obligated to have previous owners details, unless the previous owner was a company or an LMCT.

As I said to him, and he agreed I might add, this will only add to the dodgey dealings some smaller less reputable yards will go to in order to sell a car at inflated prices.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #59
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I recently saw an EA GLi for sale at my local ford dealer with ~90,000km's on it and was in absolutely mint condition with a $9k price tag on it. Low km early models are around even if they are laughably expensive.

I'd walk away and leave them sweat, if its still there in a week or so see if you can get a proper test drive and a better price.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #60
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Don't walk away from this RUN, RUN VERY VERY FAST!!!

For 8K you could almost get a BA.....
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post