Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #31
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What car to buy for a very long trip

My vote would be a troopy with the 1HZ ..... 129hp. It is slow up the hills but absolutely bullet proof. I'd be happy with an 80/100 series running the same engine. The 1HD-FTE gives you a lot more HP -164hp- but for bullet proof reliability in the middle of no where I'd still favour the 1HZ. It's a road registered tractor - once you've got it just enjoy the holiday and drive it anywhere/everywhere. Failing the Toyota.......a camel.....2 humps
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #32
Pilko FNQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
My vote would be a troopy with the 1HZ ..... 129hp. It is slow up the hills but absolutely bullet proof. I'd be happy with an 80/100 series running the same engine. The 1HD-FTE gives you a lot more HP -164hp- but for bullet proof reliability in the middle of no where I'd still favour the 1HZ. It's a road registered tractor - once you've got it just enjoy the holiday and drive it anywhere/everywhere. Failing the Toyota.......a camel.....2 humps
Totally agree. My own ride is a 1hdfte 100 series cruiser, chipped and exhaust, but have also owned a 1hz Troopy. They never stop.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 10:13 PM   #33
CJR09
RPO 77

Toyo FTW - I had a 300tdi disco, it was great when it was running....

I now have an 80 series cruiser...

The LR's are a great 4wd - agile, nimble and well equipped

but the LC's are just more "capable" in every way

Sounds like an awesome trip, would love to do something like this - was talking with a friend recently - he and his cousin are planning a trip based on Ed March's trip on a fekking honda c90!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c65EwotPOQ

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #34
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
Guys

Thanks very much for all your tips. My wife is OK with it, and we have driven together from San Francisco to LA without a map or GPS.
San Francisco to LA is mostly freeway and 382 miles (according to Google). Given the attention span of most Americans I know you'd have to have road signs in English and big arrows pointing the South way every ten-fifteen minutes .

Sydney to Perth is a smidge under 4,000km and would be a doddle, compared to Moscow to Paris (2,837km) as I'm crap at reading Cyrillic (as would be most of us)...plus Russian drivers are nuts. Slightly different ball game when you don't speak the language and can't read it either

Last edited by Ratmick; 27-04-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #35
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why not fly to Singapore and just buy and start there?

It'd save you a fortune in shipping costs and trouble

I agree diesel Landcruiser or similar for the trip although as stated you may be overestimating the need for a 4wd so perhaps consider a Peugeot diesel wagon as they're reliable and good comfort wise for long drives

either way though a diesel would be best in terms of reliability and fuel availability
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #36
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recall that some years ago Northern Territory National Parks service replaced its Troopys with Land Rovers after the Toyotas developed cracks in their chassis. But probably a lot has changed with the model since then. While Land Rovers would be a natural best choice, the question of reliability always hangs over them.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #37
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
San Francisco to LA is mostly freeway and 382 miles (according to Google). Given the attention span of most Americans I know you'd have to have road signs in English and big arrows pointing the South way every ten-fifteen minutes .

Sydney to Perth is a smidge under 4,000km and would be a doddle, compared to Moscow to Paris (2,837km) as I'm crap at reading Cyrillic (as would be most of us)...plus Russian drivers are nuts. Slightly different ball game when you don't speak the language and can't read it either
I have to admit that it wasn't too hard going from SF to LA. Just drive west from SF, turn left before you get wet, and keep going. We did go the coast route, not the freeway, so that was more of a challenge. We just aimed for the place where all the planes were taking off and landing, and followed a Hertz bus so we could drop the car off.
hawke is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #38
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Something that has a Toyota badge, is diesel and doesn't have a turbo.

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #39
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Toyota seem to be winning.

Check this guy out. He said he never had a major breakdown.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18910560

What a life.
He did have several wives though - but only one Merc.
Old 28-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #40
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
why not fly to Singapore and just buy and start there?

It'd save you a fortune in shipping costs and trouble
Thanks for that, but I understand that can cause you some issues with insurance and other documents that you need to comply with import, export and third party insurance in other countries.
Old 28-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #41
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would not consider any other vehicle than a Toyota Troopy, fitted out with sleeping ¼'s, water tank, cooking facility, long range tanks, roof racks, carry at least two spares, jerry cans, the windows blacked out and secured with mesh.

I would consider suspension upgrade, high flow exhaust for economy, and a good economy tune. Good selection of tools and spares specific to vehicle, good communications systems and GPS etc.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #42
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I would not consider any other vehicle than a Toyota Troopy, fitted out with sleeping ¼'s, water tank, cooking facility, long range tanks, roof racks, carry at least two spares, jerry cans, the windows blacked out and secured with mesh.

I would consider suspension upgrade, high flow exhaust for economy, and a good economy tune. Good selection of tools and spares specific to vehicle, good communications systems and GPS etc.

Good advice but for this trip I'd leave it bog stock apart from fitting a snorkel. If the upgrade breaks (suspension for example) your going to wish it was stock. I had a mate who decked out a Hilux with $19000 worth of aftermarket gear for the Canning Stock Route........the thing started falling to pieces before we even hit the track. We had to pull out after travelling only 900km......I had a 1984 land cruiser that went fine. There's a bloke who runs 'Billy Tea Bush Safaris' out of Cairns to Cape York and back. When I spoke to him years ago at the Rosehill Caravan and camping show he had over 100 trips under his belt to the top and back. He runs bog stock troopies..... no mods at all - just turns the key and drives. He used to do talks at the show and said to one bloke in the audience who was asking a heap of questions on his troopy set up - 'mate I've had troopies buried for days, I've had em' floating down the Wenlock, I've tried all the modifications, there's nothing I haven't done or tried in a troopy - but I've learnt one thing over the many years driving to the top and back - leave the bastards stock and when you get into trouble boil the billy before doing anything'.......... being in his mid 50's with a lot of experience I always remembered that.

I did the Cape that year in a 1978 BJ40 cruiser (had 2 cruisers over the years) from Sydney...... never missed a beat that old tractor! What an adventure.

My 2 cents also is look after your tyres. Check em' every day (pressures too) along with your fluids.
Old 28-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #43
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good advice but for this trip I'd leave it bog stock apart from fitting a snorkel. If the upgrade breaks (suspension for example) your going to wish it was stock. I had a mate who decked out a Hilux with $19000 worth of aftermarket gear for the Canning Stock Route........the thing started falling to pieces before we even hit the track. We had to pull out after travelling only 900km......I had a 1984 land cruiser that went fine. There's a bloke who runs 'Billy Tea Bush Safaris' out of Cairns to Cape York and back. When I spoke to him years ago at the Rosehill Caravan and camping show he had over 100 trips under his belt to the top and back. He runs bog stock troopies..... no mods at all - just turns the key and drives. He used to do talks at the show and said to one bloke in the audience who was asking a heap of questions on his troopy set up - 'mate I've had troopies buried for days, I've had em' floating down the Wenlock, I've tried all the modifications, there's nothing I haven't done or tried in a troopy - but I've learnt one thing over the many years driving to the top and back - leave the bastards stock and when you get into trouble boil the billy before doing anything'.......... being in his mid 50's with a lot of experience I always remembered that.

I did the Cape that year in a 1978 BJ40 cruiser (had 2 cruisers over the years) from Sydney...... never missed a beat that old tractor! What an adventure.

My 2 cents also is look after your tyres. Check em' every day (pressures too) along with your fluids.
Definitely would not go overboard on mods, but quality springs and shocks IMO could do little harm IMO, neither could a free flowing exhaust, obviously I be looking at a decent bull bar and side steps and lights as well, but thats just me.

Stock often works well, I too had a BJ40, bought it with 560,000km on the clock and sold it with 780,000km on the clock, replaced radiator hoses and exhaust manifold gasket in that time and tires, was still going strong when I sold it.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #44
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Meh, all these 'oh what a feeling pieces of sheep'...

Territory for me. NA Petrol FTW.
Old 28-04-2015, 09:22 PM   #45
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Meh, all these 'oh what a feeling pieces of sheep'...

Territory for me. NA Petrol FTW.
I would hate to be sleeping in the back of a territory with two people, whilst also carrying water, spares, tools, etc etc, then I would also be hating to work on said Territory and source spares when it breaks down.

I would not even use a Territory for an around Australia trip..

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #46
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I would hate to be sleeping in the back of a territory with two people, whilst also carrying water, spares, tools, etc etc, then I would also be hating to work on said Territory and source spares when it breaks down.
Not as much as I'd hate to do the same in a Toyota.
Quote:
I would not even use a Territory for an around Australia trip..
Which is exactly what I am doing in a few months, with a Falcon and a Territory.
We'll be carrying all those items mentioned and then some.

The big Toyotas are overrated pos, like most Toyotas.
Old 28-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #47
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Get a copy of theOverlander' Handbook by Chris Scott; not only will help you choose a suitable vehicle it gives you lots of extremely useful information on what to take and what to expect in each country. It will also tell you about things like CDP's - Carnet De Passage En Dounes or temporary car import documents you require for the countries you are travelling through. See http://www.amazon.com/Overlanders-Ha...rs%27+Handbook and http://www.overlanders-handbook.com/ and http://overland-live.blogspot.com.au...ndbook-by.html and http://www.overlanders-handbook.com/...verlanders.jpg . I have a copy and after reading through it decided overlanding was probably not for me after all.

I agree with the Troopie (FJ series) in terms of its space and capabilities but note Australia is one of the few countries it is still sold in so parts may not be that easy to get everywhere and in some countries (e.g. Chad and Algeria) it is actually illegal for anyone other that the local military to own or drive one so it could be refused entry or more likely and worse seized.

Last edited by aussiblue; 28-04-2015 at 10:18 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 10:24 PM   #48
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hulk recommends a ford territory, he really is special,
As a few others have said, troopy or tray back cruiser with camper will be the ideal setup, 6 cylinder diesel is the pick of the bunch for reliability
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #49
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not as much as I'd hate to do the same in a Toyota.

Which is exactly what I am doing in a few months, with a Falcon and a Territory.
We'll be carrying all those items mentioned and then some.

The big Toyotas are overrated pos, like most Toyotas.
big statement calling them pieces of shyte........fact is you will see what a falcon and territory will allow you to see......that's it. Each to their own though as many are happy to see just that. If it's caravan territory then the territory will suffice. Even some of the dirt roads out west (anywhere for that matter) - if a grader hasn't been through in months the corrugations alone would destroy a Territory. Whether it be a Holden Jackaroo/Nissan Patrol/Toyota/Jeep/Landrover etc - all would shyte on a Territory when it comes to taking you anywhere in this country, and beyond our shores in this case. Anyway as said each to their own - if your not venturing into harsh country I would agree there are more comfortable rides to tour in - and yes a Territory would be one of them.
Old 28-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #50
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
big statement calling them pieces of shyte........
Not at all, it's just my statement. Never liked them, never will.
They have the dynamics of a truck, suck juice like an alco, and look like crud.
I wouldn't pee on one if it was on fire.

A Territory will run rings around a Landcruiser for what I want, and possibly for a good part of what the OP wants.
Quote:
fact is you will see what a falcon and territory will allow you to see......that's it. Each to their own though as many are happy to see just that. If it's caravan territory then the territory will suffice.
Yep, that will do me. Not into hard core off-roading in a car, have a dirt bike for that, which will go further than any car anyhow.
Quote:
Even some of the dirt roads out west (anywhere for that matter) - if a grader hasn't been through in months the corrugations alone would destroy a Territory.
There's plenty of 'Cruisers left for dead on the side of the road too.
Quote:
Whether it be a Holden Jackaroo/Nissan Patrol/Toyota/Jeep/Landrover etc - all would shyte on a Territory when it comes to taking you anywhere in this country, and beyond our shores in this case.
Maybe, that would depend on exactly what the OP plans to do.
Considering he said 'I suspect that 4WD would be useful', tells me he may not be into hard core stuff.
Quote:
Anyway as said each to their own - if your not venturing into harsh country I would agree there are more comfortable rides to tour in - and yes a Territory would be one of them.
Yup, when you're doing ~10,000k's in 2 months, a Landcruiser is the last place I want to be.

Horses for courses...
Old 28-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #51
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Note also that in some countries only low grade low octane petrol is available (you may have to remove the lambda/O2 sensor so the vehicle will still work) while diesel is available everywhere so that's the best choice. Given you are heading through a lot old British empire countries one of the Landrovers would be a good choice as due to that history they are well supported in most counties between here and the UK. A lot of the Toyota in 3rd world countries while looking like one of the 4WD models here, only have 2WD and smaller economy engines - they are about utility and strength in being able to carry lots of people, cargo and livestock etc at low cost and drivetrain parts for the models sold in Oz may not be readily available. There will also be no trouble selling a Landrover in the UK if you are not doing the return trip by road.

Last edited by aussiblue; 28-04-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 28-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #52
Pilko FNQ

Quote:
big statement calling them pieces of shyte........fact is you will see what a falcon and territory will allow you to see......that's it. Each to their own though as many are happy to see just that. If it's caravan territory then the territory will suffice. Even some of the dirt roads out west (anywhere for that matter) - if a grader hasn't been through in months the corrugations alone would destroy a Territory. Whether it be a Holden Jackaroo/Nissan Patrol/Toyota/Jeep/Landrover etc - all would shyte on a Territory when it comes to taking you anywhere in this country, and beyond our shores in this case. Anyway as said each to their own - if your not venturing into harsh country I would agree there are more comfortable rides to tour in - and yes a Territory would be one of them.
Yep....I live on Cape York. It's Nissan or Toyota. A Few Mazda bravos and rangers seem to be doing ok however the hyped SUV's seen on TV that newcomers seem to bring with them are soon replaced by a Landcruiser or Patrol and the Territory and Jeeps becomes the shopping trolly. Our mining light vehicle fleet is all Hilux and Landcruiser for a reason as well. Back up, parts and reliability.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 10:55 PM   #53
PALE ALE

GQ Patrol LWB
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #54
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

ideal:
https://www.australianfrontlinemachi...s#.VT97Icsfqpo

Last edited by aussiblue; 28-04-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 29-04-2015, 12:27 AM   #55
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yep, that will do me. Not into hard core off-roading in a car, have a dirt bike for that, which will go further than any car anyhow.

There's plenty of 'Cruisers left for dead on the side of the road too.
you don't have to be into hardcore off-roading to take a 4WD where a territory won't go........that's a fact my friend. A dirt bike going further than a 'car' (a territory?) - definitely - depending on fuel requirements of course. A dirt bike going further than a Patrol/Jeep/Cruiser/LR....total BS. Have you seen a bike tackling never ending sand dunes/ bog holes/ river crossings etc ? Have you seen a dirt bike try and get to 'Steep Point' in WA - that would have to be on your to do list around oz......good luck comfortably getting there on a dirt bike. Dirt bikes are extremely capable (have ridden my share) .......but regarding using one to see this country - that's hardcore........something your not into.

Talking cruisers we owned a 100 series Kakadu while living in NW WA for 5 years.......the comfort levels alone of a Kakadu/Sahara would absolutely shyte over the comfort levels of a territory and still be more reliable if travelling around oz -no debate there- period.

Fact is if you have a Patrol/LR/Jeep/Cruiser etc and are travelling this big country or abroad you can drive anywhere you want with confidence, tackling the same country in a Territory?....... let us know how you go and what you see.

For the record I've done around oz twice........thank ***k I didn't have a territory -or a bike- because I would have missed seeing half of this awesome country.

Let us know how many broken down cruisers you pass in your Territory.
Old 29-04-2015, 06:55 AM   #56
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heaven knows how people survived in Australia before Toyota came along. I guess the bush was never used before then and we all lived in cities and towns.

This page of this thread reads like a Toyota advertising page. Is this AFF?
Old 29-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #57
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford don't really produce a car that competes in this space, the only thing close is the ranger, op asked for recommendations, we don't have to recommend ford if they don't play in that space.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #58
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Ford don't really produce a car that competes in this space, the only thing close is the ranger, op asked for recommendations, we don't have to recommend ford if they don't play in that space.
By the same token, we don't have to go around saying Australia would be inaccessible if it weren't for Japanese 4WDs. As someone who has lived in the bush over the years I can point out that said 4WDs have in fact caused some of the access problems by churning up and rutting tracks that years ago were perfectly navigable by normal cars. They're a sort of self-perpetuating phenomenon.

But, on topic, I agree that Territory is possibly not the vehicle for an around-the-worlder, but only because it's not all that strongly made and it would be difficult to access repairs. Check some of the cars that have have run in London-Sydney marathons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London%...ydney_Marathon
Old 29-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #59
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
I'm giving some thought on going on a long drive - Sydney to London, and wondering what would the best car to use. I haven't worked out the exact route, but would probably be either Sydney - Perth - Singapore - India - Iran - Turkey - Bulgaria - France - England. Or - Darwin - Hong Kong - China - The Stans - Moscow - St Petersburg - Stockholm - Denmark - Germany - France - England.

There would be two of us - me and my wife.

I suspect that 4WD would be useful - something big enough to sleep securely inside if needed - diesel probably. Reliability, ease of parts and fix-ability would be important.
Original post ^^^^^and keeping on track

4WD would definitely be useful
A troopy/defender is big enough to put a double bed in the back..easy
Diesel-yes
Reliable-already proven
Parts-no problem
Fixability- nothing easier
Old 29-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #60
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
But, on topic, I agree that Territory is possibly not the vehicle for an around-the-worlder, but only because it's not all that strongly made and it would be difficult to access repairs. Check some of the cars that have have run in London-Sydney marathons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London%...ydney_Marathon
Did anyone say 1968 XT GT Falcon? I thought it was the blatantly obvious choice for the Ford Forum?

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...lcon_xt_gt.php

Quote:
Suprisingly enough, the car's biggest success came in the field of rallying, specifically the 1968 London to Sydney Marathon, where a three car works entered team led by Harry Firth won the team's prize and the Vaughan/Forsyth/Ellis car finished third. The great strength of the body and the reliability of the engine and transmission had been convincingly demonstrated.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: