Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #31
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: FRIDAY HULK: To be an enthusiast, do you need to own something special/unique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
So if I join a ferrari forum and start posting am I a ferrari enthusiast? When they ask what do you drive or come to the next car meet? then turn up in a Hyundai tiberion?

Lets be frank, you cant really be an enthusiast if you dont own the item of interest of have close affiliation. ie a ferrari enthusiast needs to own a ferrari. (and a decent one at that)
Bull****. You might have 10 model ones at home, posters, flags, caps, shirts. You don't actually need to own ones to be an enthusiast. You only need to want one and follow that particular brand.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 15-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #32
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FRIDAY HULK: To be an enthusiast, do you need to own something special/unique?

Well I`m a Car and Female enthusiast. Could never get all the ones I wanted so I transfered into a Food and Beer enthusiast.
Old 15-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #33
Falcman0o7
Banned

Building a car YOURSELF and not relying on every tom dick and harry to me is an enthusiast with a passion that has also took the time to want to learn and do the job themselves resulting in a car that they can say with pride I BUILT IT.

To many people with to much bloody money these days that just drive the things.

Just my opinion obviously.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #34
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Did you post that particular issue up because it says "Hulk Smash" on the front, or was that sheer coincidence?
It certainly wasn't because I'm a fan of SM
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #35
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are probably readers of the Forum that know just about everything on a Phase III GT. Possibly more so than the actual owners
But will never own one let alone drive one..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
This user likes this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #36
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I just removed the radiator on my falcon as i wanted to give everything that hasn't ever been done a proper clean... idiot or Enthusiast ?

Then i stripped a trans line fitting from the end tank that i wasn't using as it was bypassed and now the rad has a small leak, so i need a new rad and decided to paint some power steering parts and chrome some others while i am waiting...

Enthusiast or idiot?

After all it is just an N/A taxi ...
3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #37
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T
So if I join a ferrari forum and start posting am I a ferrari enthusiast? When they ask what do you drive or come to the next car meet? then turn up in a Hyundai tiberion?

Lets be frank, you cant really be an enthusiast if you dont own the item of interest of have close affiliation. ie a ferrari enthusiast needs to own a ferrari. (and a decent one at that)

You obviously have a unique dictionary that isn’t available to the rest of us.

To be enthusiastic doesn’t mean you need to own something nor does it mean what you own has to be something special, it simply means you have an interest in a subject.

SgtBourne has already said what needed to be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
Hopefully not, otherwise you're not an enthusiast either. Hardly call a XR6T unique or special..

By the way, being an enthusiast, as said above, is a state of mind. Being enthusiastic about something.
Old 15-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #38
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

My back handed compliment,

There are cars which only an enthusiast would own/drive, likewise there are activities which only an enthusiast would do/follow.
Old 15-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #39
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

At the most basic level anyone with a genuine interest in cars of any form from junk to the pinnacle is a enthusiast. Someone that'll fire up at the topic when it's raised. I don't care what they own or not. I'm an enthusiast but I've had cars I've treated like crap, doesn't lessen my 'enthusiast' tag. I found out this week a fellow employee where i work is building quietly a HO replica. And another with a Corty GT hidden in the shed. And yet another....all from visiting a site i haven't been to for a while. Whats the easiest way to recognize a enthusiast? Put them together with another one and they just do NOT shut up.

No I've had enough of this thread and I'll just go wax the ute instead of hurting my brain any further

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
7 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #40
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
A Whats the easiest way to recognize a enthusiast?
Put them together with another one and they just do NOT shut up.
Ain't that the truth
3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #41
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Possessing the object others are an enthusiast off only makes you an owner, not necessarily an enthusiast.

JP
Old 15-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #42
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Possessing the object others are an enthusiast off only makes you an owner, not necessarily an enthusiast.

JP
So your saying that because I own a pencil, I'm only a pencil owner, not a pencil enthusiast? Yet if I was into texta's but didn't own any texta's, I would only be a fan boy of texta's, and therefore am not worthy of being called a 'real' texta enthusiast because I do not own a texta, just like them a whole lot?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #43
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
So your saying that because I own a pencil, I'm only a pencil owner, not a pencil enthusiast? Yet if I was into texta's but didn't own any texta's, I would only be a fan boy of texta's, and therefore am not worthy of being called a 'real' texta enthusiast because I do not own a texta, just like them a whole lot?

No, just saying that ownership does not make an enthusiast nor does enthusiast status require ownership.

JP
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #44
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So according to you, you can only be an enthusiast based on how deep your pocket is. Last time I checked JP explained to you what an enthusiast is. Also I do go to Ferrari shows and read up on them and have good knowledge from their early cars. The difference between myself and somebody who owns one is they have the money to burn. In the end doesn't make me any less passionate.

Sorry Hulk, but you come across very narrow minded.
Old 15-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #45
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love cars but never work on them myself and probably never will.

I don't think that make me less of an enthusiast because I don't pick up the tools.

As for owning something unique or special, I don't really care. It makes you stick out but a lot of the time for the wrong reasons :
Old 15-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #46
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
At the most basic level anyone with a genuine interest in cars of any form from junk to the pinnacle is a enthusiast. Someone that'll fire up at the topic when it's raised. I don't care what they own or not. I'm an enthusiast but I've had cars I've treated like crap, doesn't lessen my 'enthusiast' tag. I found out this week a fellow employee where i work is building quietly a HO replica. And another with a Corty GT hidden in the shed. And yet another....all from visiting a site i haven't been to for a while. Whats the easiest way to recognize a enthusiast? Put them together with another one and they just do NOT shut up.

No I've had enough of this thread and I'll just go wax the ute instead of hurting my brain any further
Best post in the whole thread.
Old 15-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #47
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
No better way to round out the week than with a good hulk thread.
Absolutely spot on mate, keep up the good work. You are an elite thread starter.
Quote:
There are a number of people purporting to be car enthusiasts, but when you see their cars, they are basically stock everyday cars. Maybe a little neater than the average example or with a few basic mods.

But are these people really car enthusiasts?
Maybe, maybe not.
Quote:
bragging about owning cars that you find at every corner parked out on the street?
Bragging about any car doesn't make you an enthusiast.
Quote:
The driving experience nothing special than an average car?
The driving experience good or bad is what might make someone an enthusiast.
Quote:
Does a proper car enthusiast need to own something that little bit special? something a little unique or a limited edition of some sort?
Not in my opinion.
Quote:
For example if someone said they were a holden enthusiast and they popped their garage to reveal a 1988 mint condition VL walkinshaw group A, you could accept they are a car enthusiast.
Probably. But it's not a given.
Quote:
But if the same guy walked you round to the side of his house and revealed a 2001 VX commodore executive parked outside with a set of mags on it, would you sort of think to yourself, why is he so excited about it?
Probably, but I'd understand it.
People like cars for all sorts of reasons, and the fact that this dude is enthusiastic about a fairly ordinary car perhaps makes him more of an enthusiast than the Walkinshaw owner.
Quote:
Same applies to us ford people, many of us get excited about run of the mill models, build threads with basic bottom of the range cars or many even presenting them at car shows?
Again, I think this perhaps makes these type of people even more of an enthusiast than someone who just drives a more exclusive/unique car.
Quote:
Am I being a little harsh here or does a car enthusiast need to back it up with something special to show?
No, and no.

Loving the threads Hulk, keep it up.
Old 15-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #48
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Why on earth would you need to own something to appreciate it.

I mean, that's what an enthusiast does, appreciates a particular subject in greater depth than an average person.

I know people who work on their cars but aren't enthusiasts, just too stingy to pay someone else to do it. Their cars are buckets of crap and they openly admit not caring.

I consider myself an Australian Automotive enthusiast, that doesn't mean I have to own every model ever released, it just means that I appreciate what Australia has screwed together.
Having said that I have a definite blue tinge to my blood, despite what some may think and things I say, mostly out of frustration.
Fact is I love the Falcon, but I don't even own one now.
I'd take a Falcon Coupe over a Mustang any day.
But I'd also consider a HQ GTS Coupe, because they interest me too.

Im also an AFL enthusiast, but I don't play, I just watch most games and all the media shows throughout the season because I enjoy the subject.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #49
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Sox, I can't multi quote your last post - #47, but ******* yay!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
Old 15-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #50
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what I have been told, a large number of the people who bought GT-Fs in New Zealand were actually not interested in the car its self, but only bought them as they thought they would make a good investment. So just because some people own a car such as that, they may not be as much of a Ford/FPV enthusiast as many other people, but they just have a lot of disposable income.
Old 15-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #51
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No better way to round out the week than with a good hulk thread.

There are a number of people purporting to be car enthusiasts, but when you see their cars, they are basically stock everyday cars. Maybe a little neater than the average example or with a few basic mods.

But are these people really car enthusiasts? bragging about owning cars that you find at every corner parked out on the street? The driving experience nothing special than an average car?

Does a proper car enthusiast need to own something that little bit special? something a little unique or a limited edition of some sort?

For example if someone said they were a holden enthusiast and they popped their garage to reveal a 1988 mint condition VL walkinshaw group A, you could accept they are a car enthusiast. But if the same guy walked you round to the side of his house and revealed a 2001 VX commodore executive parked outside with a set of mags on it, would you sort of think to yourself, why is he so excited about it?

Same applies to us ford people, many of us get excited about run of the mill models, build threads with basic bottom of the range cars or many even presenting them at car shows?

Am I being a little harsh here or does a car enthusiast need to back it up with something special to show?
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #52
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

My insurance company determines this for me.
Based on the premium I pay , I guess my car must be unique and special and I must be an enthusiast .....they bill me like one anyways....
Old 15-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #53
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7 View Post
Building a car YOURSELF and not relying on every tom dick and harry to me is an enthusiast with a passion that has also took the time to want to learn and do the job themselves resulting in a car that they can say with pride I BUILT IT.

To many people with to much bloody money these days that just drive the things.

Just my opinion obviously.
So if you buy a brand new GT you're not a enthusiast because someone else built it?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 15-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #54
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Old 15-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #55
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So hulk you drive an xr6t, do you consider yourself an enthusiast even though they can be found on every corner?
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
Old 15-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #56
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess all those train and plane enthusiasts are not really enthusiast because 99.999% of them don't own a train or plane
5 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #57
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post

JP

This.

Knowledge about a subject would be a far better indicator that one is an enthusiast than owning possessions relating to that subject.

Any schmuck can park an expensive car in the garage, but to learn all about it takes passion.

And what if I want to be a dinosaur enthusiast? Ownership is gonna be problematic.......
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #58
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
This.

Knowledge about a subject would be a far better indicator that one is an enthusiast than owning possessions relating to that subject.

Any schmuck can park an expensive car in the garage, but to learn all about it takes passion.

And what if I want to be a dinosaur enthusiast? Ownership is gonna be problematic.......
Just go and buy a commodore OHV V8 , problem solved !
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I used to be a car enthusiast, then I did it for a job.

Now I hate working on cars.

I like modified cars, I just don't like doing the work, rather enjoy the end product .

If a mate asks me for some help I'll give them a hand no worries but hell if I'm working on my own cars in my spare time anymore, I'm continuing my Falcon because I've got favors to cash in and its alright when I've got friends helping.

All of us who worked in the industry have a project car thats sitting by waiting for the last bit of work to be carried out, I have my Falcon, mate has a Kingswood and both are in the middle of procrastination stage.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-08-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 16-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #60
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I love petrol. I love what it does. I love the smell of it. I'm a petrol enthusiast!
Closed Thread