Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #31
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why doesnt FPV make a lightweight edn???

FPV Econetic?
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #32
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The idea of a "FPV lite" has been brought up many a time, how FPV should do this, how they should do that.

As a result, most of the comments teld to lean towards explaining why the idea is not so great at this time. Im sure that a if the R-spec was taken, and given buckets, some strut/X-braces etc, it would do down a treat...

But we should be happy that we have what we have, and that Ford/FPV gave us a stonking great Supercharged R-spec...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #33
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Ford did give us a stripped out FPV, its called a XR6 Turbo with out the FPV badging and price.
Old 20-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #34
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
They are limited in what they can do.

They only option would be to bring out a GS with the 335 motor, remove spoiler, fit 18 inch alloys, delete spare tyre (put in a goo kit instead), no brembos . They would be lucky to nock 20 kgs off...
if i layed off the chips, lollies and hamburgers easy knock another 30kg off that..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #35
ohzone
Dent Removal

Agreed
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #36
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
A lighter Falcon,
I wonder if One Ford could lend a hand making that happen for the 2014 Falcon
Exactly. Only plausible way is for the donor car to come down in weight. Ford are looking into weight reductions for all of their vehicles.

So Ford needs to lay down some cash on Aluminium bonnet and Boot lids and crash test them. All in the process of other upgrades of course.
Old 21-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #37
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
It's hard to justify raising price when you delete content..
yeah, that only works for premium brands.
Old 21-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #38
Rodge
Banned

Autocar N.Z. tested the Ecoboost XT a couple of months back over here.

Weight with a full tank was only 1648 kg's...
By my calculations that's 1597 kg's dry. There's you answer right there, stripped of all but the most essential basic kit.

Take the spare out, (if it has one, can't remember) and knock off the Macca's. 0-100 of 6.98 seconds as tested is respectable enough for most people.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #39
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

If I bought a FPV as a weekend play thing I'd probably be interested, but I can't afford to own one and a regular driver too.

The reality is that I would want all the creature comforts and drive it often.
Old 21-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #40
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Yeah good in theory but most people like all of the tech goodies. (not that im saying the falcon is that high tech anyway).
Then the only real way to do it is by using very expensive metals, aluminium chassis, carbon fibre everything etc. Then the prices go up astronomically!

But just the thought of a 1600kg 335KW GT mmmm...
Old 21-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Or, engineer Falcon with a Fusion FWD hybrid power pack and the Fusion's dead rear axle,
that would get fuel economy down to 5.0 l/100 km in city and highway driving...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Do what the bloke that drag races a ba gt did. Buy the bare shell from ford and then instead of irs put a lightened 9 inch in it's place. From memory he saved quite a bit of weight buy swapping out the rear suspension. But what is the trade off in traction? I think it is a good idea, but it is likely to be a niche vehicle that only appeals to a small spectrum of buyers, which is why I believe it won't get built, even though it would be a great idea! mmm 300kg's lighter fg 335, yes please.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #43
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
Do what the bloke that drag races a ba gt did. Buy the bare shell from ford and then instead of irs put a lightened 9 inch in it's place. From memory he saved quite a bit of weight buy swapping out the rear suspension. But what is the trade off in traction?
If it was a good 4-link setup, it would have greater of the line traction then a IRS...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wrong platform to start with, I don't understand trying to make a comfy luxury type "grand tourer" handle.

Stiffer springs, lowered, short shocks, bigger wheel, less sidewall, wider tyre, urethane bushes etc.

You end up with a large car, which doesn't handle too well and ends up riding stiff as crap, so its neither good in the corners or good cruising.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #45
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that's it...you would have to have a compromise with such a large sedan.

Hell, I notice it in our G6E with the 19" turbo wheels...sure,they look great and are styled nicely, but they make the ride pretty rough on most ordinary roads (which is why we have a set of 18's in the shed for when these tyres wear out).
You could probably make a light weight stiff suspended highly powered FPV of some sort...but how many would you sell? One or two a year?
They would be priced up to the stratosphere and would end up like all the other Maseratis, Lambo's, and Porsche RS3's you see parked outside coffee shops in the center of the cities...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #46
bmorris

FPV could do this if they wanted to, however it would firstly be a limited numbers special edition run, which would cost a large premium over the current GTP.

And I honestly think they would struggle to sell all of them.

However what they need to do is fairly straight forward. Spend that money on upgrading the tech in the current line up and the numbers rolling out the door will increase. When they are making more income then they can muck around more with special lightweight editions
Old 22-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #47
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

It's really hard to justify the light weight. Alfa Romeo went through this when they came out with new GTA models.

In the 60-70's the GTa's had aluminium panels and other tweaks to let them perform and race better. When they were looking at reviving the badge in the 00's it was hard to justify the engineering for the results.

Yes in my heart of hearts as an ex-Type R owner I'd still perefer a lightweight model even though I know that sales/pricing cant justify it.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post