Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: ford falcon bf xr6 or holden commodore ve sv6?
ford falcon bf xr6 148 81.32%
holden commodore ve sv6 34 18.68%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #31
falconlover
Bathurst 2007, Ford 1-2-3

i'm gunna get a toxic bf xr6 with the 6 speed auto its gunna be mad
Old 22-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #32
Disco1986

I think the commom would be the better car by far, but my pick would be the Xr6.
Old 22-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #33
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconlover
I think you just said that a few lines up??

:monkes:

The VE is definately a nicer looking car, im sold!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 22-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #34
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicsnude XR6
What a bloody stupid place to ask such a question
However... During my research process for a new car recently I test drove a few cars, including SV6, 380 VRX as well as a Lexus and BMW.
No doubt the Lexus & BM felt a little more luxurious, and were definitely quieter than any Oz vehicle I drove, but to justify the extra 40K plus was totally impossible ! A little less tyre noise, and a few more buttons to get confused by aint worth 40K plus in my book !
The BF certainly compared though to them in "feelable" power and handling, not to mention the loads of extra space.
See..... I'm not a die hard Ford fan.... but I'm certainly sold on the BF, along with **** loads of those sensible souls buying them.
Sure, I've spent some $$$ on mods since buying, but the basic vehicle is already world class, and with a few goodies added becomes a world beater !
BTW.... 190 kw is a distant memory for me, with well over 200 kw being generated (170 plus rwkw), and still a little further tuning to be sorted.
In my mind there is simply nothing else out there at present that can compare in the same class, without spending **** loads more for very little gain.
Although my next will definitely be a MK 11 BF XR6T..... Must have the "Ford" bug after all :Reverend:
Cheers
Tony
How Tony

Nice ride. Can I ask what the 380 VRX was like to drive havent had the oppurtunity to drive a 380 as yet. I like the mods youve done in your sig. Do you go the ZF 6 Speed? I was not a die Hard Ford fan b4 I bought my car if anything I was quite a big Holden fan. But my Ford has done everything right so far to make me a fan. But like you im all for doing your homework driving a few different manufactures car 's & going for the won that you like & represent bang for your buck.

Cheers

Scott

Cheers

Scott

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
Old 22-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #35
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i'm thinking of buying an ford falcon xr6 bf in toxic
Fantz's

Old (as new) BF XR6 ZF 6 spd Toxic 4500km is on CarSales.com

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
Old 22-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #36
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

The feel of driving the XR6 just bsolutely craps all over the SV6. The Alloytec felt like a rampart child after 4500rpm. The XR felt smooth all the way to the limiter.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Old 22-08-2006, 10:34 PM   #37
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
The feel of driving the XR6 just bsolutely craps all over the SV6. The Alloytec felt like a rampart child after 4500rpm. The XR felt smooth all the way to the limiter.

At the end of the day smoothness wont cut the crust.

0 - 100 / Quarter mile times will be the decider on whos the winner, I cant see the SV6 beating the XR6, but the XR6 looks so tired now, specially on the side, the flat body certainly needs a freshen up. :
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 22-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #38
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

had you said BF or BA for that matter vs VZ SV6 then the xr6 all the way. Since its the VE, a newer model, better resale value, more rare at this time, im a fan of the interior as well as the exterior design, etc etc then VE. But i voted Ford coz i didnt read it right and thought you meant VZ sv6. Oh well.
Old 22-08-2006, 11:16 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Any Ford 6 is better than an equivelent Holden 6, the Alloytec doesn't cut the mustard. The opposite applies for V8's. The BF XR6 was already faster than the VZ SV6 so add another 100kgs for VE with only an extra 5 kw and it will be even more of a slug.
Old 22-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #40
stevz
Banned

Quote:
I assume you're talking about VZ here, VE has been significantly improved in these areas.

Quote:
Maybe in a few years time when you get your licence. I dunno if it's just me, but the quality of your posts suggest to me that you're about 12.
Old 22-08-2006, 11:31 PM   #41
AussieJason

I prefer the XR (well I own one so I guess i should), but only just.

I saw a VE the other day, and they are better looking than I initially thought. That BF photo is a poor comparison, I would have never bought one based on that pic. Someone post a better one please, I would but I don't know how!

Previous Falcons:
2003 BA Falcon XL Ute White
1994 EF Falcon GLi Aqua

bseries.com.au Member

And drive a Holden company car...
Old 23-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #42
99FalconS
99FalconS

I prefer the Ford but the Xr6 is now as common as dog S*#t now and looking a bit dated compared to the Holden. But like the Ford is still a good car in and would still be my choice.
Old 23-08-2006, 01:12 AM   #43
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Any Ford 6 is better than an equivelent Holden 6, the Alloytec doesn't cut the mustard. The opposite applies for V8's. The BF XR6 was already faster than the VZ SV6 so add another 100kgs for VE with only an extra 5 kw and it will be even more of a slug.
Agree. Option the NA XR6 with a 6 Auto and you would have no problems beating the now just as heavy SV6.
Old 23-08-2006, 02:11 AM   #44
Pouki
Crusin

go the XR6 i think the VE is just a copy of all sorts of other cars no oringinallity about it but thats my opinion thats why i think i would rather a BF XR6 :thebirds:
Old 23-08-2006, 02:36 AM   #45
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

xr6 if your comparing it to the vz
but the bf is really starting to look dated and the sv6 looks much fresher and more aggressive
Old 23-08-2006, 02:56 AM   #46
Ford_To_Holden

Quote:
I drive a 05 SV6 with minor mods. What you say is a big exaggeration.
I drive a minimum of 25,000 k a year and i can't knock the car at all it's been a great car at a time when i was really struggling to find one i liked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It cuts the mustard my son it does it very easy and without fault.
Now if i listen to what people had said about the car i would never have bought one. Best thing to do is trust your own judgement and that's what i did and I'm very happy with my purchase.

I haven't tested drove a VE. Might be some time before i consider looking into a new car. But a choice the ve sv6 as for the same reason i didn't look at a au.
Old 23-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #47
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I hate the big front guard flares of the VE so regardless of what is compared to I will take the BF, but this should be a BFII vs VE styling, not just a BF.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 23-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #48
Scruba
15+ Years!

I have had an up close look at the SV6 but still to drive it.
I personally dont like the interior of the SV6 although the BF could do with a revamp after being 4 years old now.

Overall looks the jury is still out on the VE. I have seen a couple of Omegas getting around but still not sold on the rear end. The flared guards are impressive.

Work in progress

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7roViz57bb2Stkzx6
Old 23-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #49
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

I dont think the BF really looks that dated compare to the VE, back in 1997 the EL looked like an XD compared to the VT, but this time the BA/F have done well to keep looking fairly modern, and considering the VE although does look nice, is defenately not anything revolutionary to make the BF look that dated anyway.

i would have to drive the VE because if the motor is still a bucket of poo, give me the XR6
Old 23-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #50
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

the ve for me.

that side profile of the falc is just getting too dated now.
Old 23-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #51
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook
the ve for me.

that side profile of the falc is just getting too dated now.

I think you are probably on the money for the basic versions. The XRs and the FPVs seem to fare better in this regard and have an arguemet over the VEs sport versions front to rear.

The VE should be the better car but it will be interesting to read and see how it translates to the real world. Of the respective line up this is Fords strongest option. It still looks nice and has some engineering advantages
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

Last edited by HSE2; 23-08-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 23-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #52
MintEAFalcon
1990 EA Falcon S Driver

Had a drive of a VE SV6 last night. It is a pretty damn nice car I must say. It felt tight and the engine was a hulluva lot smoother (even with only 745ks on the clock) than any previous Holden I had driven. It also exhibits the same 'BMW' whine above 3000rpm the I6 Falcon motor has. The 5-speed auto with 'SSS' (what are they calling it?) was quite responsive between gears and silky smooth. Is this a Commodore?

I couldnt find a lot of fault, other than perhaps the red guage backlighting and the center console mounted window controls. The level of customisation for things such as lighting were impressive, as was the computer mouse style scroll and click wheels on the steering wheel. The Blaupunkt audio still seems to lack frequency range IMO, sounding somewhat muffled.

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed. It might just be impressive enough to convince me to trade up from the trusty old EA :-)

Oh and the cool flick keys are not available on the povo packs. You have to go the SSV or Calais before you get one of those!

Cheers,
Mark.
Old 23-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #53
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
MoreHPformyXR6 the sv6 commo is 195kw compared to fords 190kw but ford has 383nm of torque which beats holdens 340nm.
On that theory, when Holden finally brings out this 3.0 turbo diesel V6 with 185(or optional)220kw from 4400rpm and 500nm from 1800rpm, the commodore should absolutley kick **** (even the low output version), but then the attitude tawards turbo diesels on this baord seems to be a very obvious hate, even though diesels work on the same logic that you just used to state the falcon is till quicker.... which mind you I totally agree with.

I am really unsure so I won't vote yet, till I see more of them getting around, and obviousley when I get a drive of both.

Stoney!
Old 23-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #54
XRchic
Hello

MY XR6 (BA) does have 170rwkw - thats probably about 215 fwkw, roughly. It flogs current SV6s, and a lot of that difference is the Nm disparity between the two. The Commodors have enough power, but its high up in the rev range and its a bit low on Nm for my liking... what are the current Nm figures for the VE I wonder?

I like the look of the BF, but I have to say that the VE doesnt look too bad at all. Im quite impressed with it, and I think it will be a good car. I would have that over something like a 380 or a Camry any day. I saw a VE SS in red the other day and it looked very nice.

A mate of mine who is a Holden man, and ownes a black VZ Monaro (very sexy IMO) is off to test drive some kind of V8 VE Commy this week. He is very particular about driveability issues and looks, so he examines the entire package. He just drove a 2001 Mustang in California last week, and thought it was a bucket of poo to drive (although fun) but he loves driving the Territory! Anyway, I will let you know what he thinks.

I will be curious to see the VE HSV range - as I have never liked previous HSV styling. My Holden friend doesnt like HSV styling either, and would have bought the Clubbie R8 had it not been for what it looked like.

: Cobra :
Old 23-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #55
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

screw the VE. Nice aero dynamic design on it. NOT. It`s a sherman tank. Its basiclly plastic i cant wait to see one crashed because i rekon they will explode
Old 23-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #56
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
the attitude tawards turbo diesels on this baord seems to be a very obvious hateStoney!
This surprises me. I've seen a few threads where oilers have received quite a bit of praise.
Old 23-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #57
macca_779
Turbine Power

BF for me but only because the 6 is a better donk. If you want to compare an SS(V) to an XR8 or even a T, my decision goes to the Holden for having the far superior performing V8. Everything else about the two cars is pretty much on par IMHO
Old 23-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #58
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

If you read the Australian Muscle Car mag, you will definately go for a BF6.

This months AMC magazine has a very unbiased report on the VE. As macca 779 says, the ve6 is a piece of rubbish and they have not improved anything with the package The Torque is lower than BF and higher up the rev range. The BF still has the inline 6 because its a nice strong motor. Also I dont think you can get the same level of comfort as the BF until you get to a Calai level in the VE.

But I must admit if you were choosing the SSV 8 then the new VE is looking to be a nice setup, 50/50 weight distribution with a V8 and a nice 6 speed. I will never buy a holden but I think Ford have a little work to do to the nose heavy V8's.

Grab the magazine, its a interesting read. Mostly all good for Ford, considering our new one is yet to come

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Old 23-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #59
HSE2

This is what we have been waiting for. What did they say about the chassis and NVH?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 23-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #60
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Hang on I will go to the shed and get the mag. Home delivery is great

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Closed Thread