The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #31
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Default Re: Dealer deliver charges - Please explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
fact is it is included in the cost of the car, it's just they show you the break up of the total costings, if you do not like the deal in front of you, shop some where else and see if you get a better deal.
So why don't they break up the costs of the motor or the suspension or every nut and bolt on the car, what I'm getting at is i can't go to a dealer and buy a car without a steering rack or dash or whatever as they are part of the car and are included in the price.
Which is the same as i cannot buy a car without it being delivered to a dealer. In both instances you can't have one without the other, yet one is included in the price and one is not.

Weekender. AU XR8 s2 sedan. 427 windsor, t56 magnum. 3.9 locker.
Old 14-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #32
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

but of a stupid example don't you think?

the price is what you pay at the bottom of the sales contract, simple as that, how they come up with their price is their business, you either choose to accept it or you don't.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 14-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #33
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
the price is what you pay at the bottom of the sales contract
what about the price in the ad? or the price painted on the windcsreen?

its designed to obfuscate the actual amount you'll be charged, and make it difficult to compare between sellers.
Old 14-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #34
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Who walks in and expects to pay what is an add?

Nobody!

You talk the talk with the salesman, you low ball them, they try to keep as much as they can, they try to sell finance to you, they have the aftercare girl try to sell you paint protection etc, you decide to add some floor mats into the deal etc and it all gets printed on the contract, you then read and sign if you agree, if not you do the same dance at the next dealer.

Old 14-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #35
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Ratter hits the nail on the head. YOu don't talk the talk you get slapped with big money.
Old 14-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #36
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what many don't think about is they go in and screw every last cent out of the profit margin then whinge about dealer delivery. deales delivery covers all costs accociated with getting the car from the factory to the customer. true you don't pay this on items like TVs etc but they are an out of box experience cars require processing . a proper PD service is more than a car wash and vac.
cars come from the factory requiring road testing as this is not done at the factory. your first service is included in the PD. many here say cost of processing rego etc shouldn't be paid for as the staff are already there, but they are there to perform this function and their wages need to be paid for.
hire an electrician and they need to fill out paper work to show the work has been done to legal standards. you pay for this time just like you pay for rego establishment costs in PD

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 14-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #37
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buying a car shouldn't be such a hassle and run around..should be just like buying a tv..walk in money down and drive away. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 14-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #38
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
what many don't think about is they go in and screw every last cent out of the profit margin then whinge about dealer delivery. deales delivery covers all costs accociated with getting the car from the factory to the customer. true you don't pay this on items like TVs etc but they are an out of box experience cars require processing . a proper PD service is more than a car wash and vac.
cars come from the factory requiring road testing as this is not done at the factory. your first service is included in the PD. many here say cost of processing rego etc shouldn't be paid for as the staff are already there, but they are there to perform this function and their wages need to be paid for.
hire an electrician and they need to fill out paper work to show the work has been done to legal standards. you pay for this time just like you pay for rego establishment costs in PD
Is it worth $2,500 though? This is what the last few dealers in WA I've been to are charging at present.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 14-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #39
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I'm sorry, but don't complain about dealer service charges. Do you know how much work goes into selling these cars? It's not a 1 or 2 man job. The entire dealership is involved. Salesmen, Dealer Principal, Finance, Service Manager, Parts Department for Accessories, Stock Control to source the vehicle, Administration for registration, Mechanics for RWC and Detailers for Pre Delivery. There is also work that is done outside of the dealership such as Window Tint, requested modifications like Exhausts, different trays, bullbars and the like.

The money for all of the work has to come from somewhere and the profit margin in the vehicle is not even close to covering all of that costs.
Old 14-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
I'm sorry, but don't complain about dealer service charges. Do you know how much work goes into selling these cars? It's not a 1 or 2 man job. The entire dealership is involved. Salesmen, Dealer Principal, Finance, Service Manager, Parts Department for Accessories, Stock Control to source the vehicle, Administration for registration, Mechanics for RWC and Detailers for Pre Delivery. There is also work that is done outside of the dealership such as Window Tint, requested modifications like Exhausts, different trays, bullbars and the like.

The money for all of the work has to come from somewhere and the profit margin in the vehicle is not even close to covering all of that costs.
All of those things should be considered and covered when putting on the sticker price.

As for requested modifications, those should be optional extras and the person who wants them should be expected to pay them. No idea why they should have anything to do with a dealer delivery charge.
Old 14-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #41
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Dealers don't have much room to move when putting on sticker prices on new cars. They get given a RRP by the manufacturer. The car is advertised on everything as that price so they are fairly limited on how much they can add to the price. It has to come from somewhere and it's in the dealer delivery price.
Old 14-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #42
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the more the profit margin gets screwed down the more they need to get back through delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Is it worth $2,500 though? This is what the last few dealers in WA I've been to are charging at present.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 14-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #43
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
It also includes rego, ctp and stamp duty. That cost it self is between $600 to $1200 depending on the customers age, state and type of car.
i'm pretty sure that was all spelled out separately on the purchase agreement.

Quote:
It's not a 1 or 2 man job. The entire dealership is involved.
it is in Bombala, the entire dealership is a 2 man operation.
Old 14-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #44
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dealers don't have much room to move when putting on sticker prices on new cars. They get given a RRP by the manufacturer.
this is true of most goods. and as pointed out, negotiation is part of the game... so why cant the dealer simply price at RRP then negotiate factoring all these other costs they claim are covered in the delivery fee?
Old 14-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #45
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Dealers don't have much room to move when putting on sticker prices on new cars. They get given a RRP by the manufacturer. The car is advertised on everything as that price so they are fairly limited on how much they can add to the price. It has to come from somewhere and it's in the dealer delivery price.
Exactly - 'on how much they can add to the price.' Dealer delivery is pure profit.

Costs associated with delivering/prepping/cleaning the car are inbuilt in to the sticker price, the rrp that each saleman has in his little book - if these weren't then every time there was a 'driveaway/dealer delivery incl.' promotion dealers would be losing a few grand on each car they sold. The dealer delivery rubbish is just gouging money from the ignorant.
Old 14-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #46
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Oh, so everytime you go to purchase a new vehicle you don't gouge money out of the pocket of the dealership? You don't haggle on money to swindle them of the few dollars that they actually make from the car?
Old 14-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #47
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69

Costs associated with delivering/prepping/cleaning the car are inbuilt in to the sticker price, the rrp that each saleman has in his little book .
No it's not

Old 14-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #48
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I recently just signed the papers to get my new car on the way. XR6 Limited Edition Ute in manual. I got charged with the 3 or so thousand of the delivery charges and on roads. I still saved 600 off the ticket price. Did I care that they charged me to get me closer to the RRP? Hell no. I got a saving from them and they made some money from me. We both won.

Face it, when people go in to buy a new car, they have the mentality of "Lets screw these bastards for everything they got". No matter who you are, you all do it. If you think that dealer charges are just a money grabber then it's there to ensure they make something out of their hard work from your sale. The reality is, it's there for all the extra work that goes into prepping your car. Delivery, Washing, RWC, Accessories etc.
Old 14-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #49
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you think that dealer charges are just a money grabber then it's there to ensure they make something out of their hard work from your sale.
Hard work?? Lucky I didnt have a mouth full of food/drink or my screen/keyboard would be wearing it.
Old 14-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #50
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

You sold a new car? You been involved with prepping a new car? There is a lot that goes into it.
Old 14-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #51
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You sold a new car? You been involved with prepping a new car? There is a lot that goes into it.
$2-3k worth?

Toyota have their PD's done off-site, not far from where I work. They turn the cars around very quickly. The guy that does their detailing is nextdoor, again, not a lot of time spent.

The time allotted is nowhere near $2-3k. I dont accept arguments that its to cover dealer overheads like finance staff, admin staff, registrations etc. Its billed out as pre-delivery, and therefore thats what it is for.
Old 14-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #52
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you have obviously never sold new cars. I spent a lot of time making sure the delivery went smoothly ( back in the EA EB days). organising fitment of accessories, organising a vehicle from another dealer if we didn't have the colour ( the freight from dealer to dealer is at the selling dealers cost). belive me there is a lot of work in getting the car delivered, the public never see this if the job is done properly we would just get it done and deliver the car ( 2 or more hours work after the car is ready if you do a proper delivery)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Hard work?? Lucky I didnt have a mouth full of food/drink or my screen/keyboard would be wearing it.

Rides:

Old 14-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #53
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
belive me there is a lot of work in getting the car delivered
which is allowed for in the margin from wholesale to retail. if it isnt, and you have to add an arbitrary charge, that says more about the dealers ability to operate efficiently.

that said, its probably unfair to single out car dealers. airlines do this every time we buy plane tickets, ticketek do it whenever we buy concert tickets, etc etc etc. the goal is to advertise a lower price because the major battle is simply getting a customer's foot in the door.
Old 14-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #54
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And around in circles it goes.
Closed Thread