Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #31
Chilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Now it comes to light that he kept this under wraps in order to not undermine the Christmas Campaign.

I call that as rubbish, he was just trying to keep it quiet and has been found out. Should have come clean asap.
What a hypocrite. If Overland doesn't remove him from his job, then he should be sacked also. Otherwise it's like putting the fox in charge of the henhouse!
Chilla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #32
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

So am I reading the article right that no-one died?
I thought every kay over was a killer?
Old 15-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #33
US kills Falcon

Do what I say, not what I do.
US kills Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #34
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and more....

http://www.news.com.au/national/top-...-1225820013885

VICTORIA'S acting Attorney General and Police Minister Bob Cameron has come out in defence of Ken Lay after his speeding offence revelation, saying his record spoke for itself.

Mr Lay told the Herald Sun he had to rebuild his credibility with the public after revealing this morning that he had been nabbed driving 80km/h in a 70km/h zone through a country town in October.

The Deputy Commissioner also admitted he kept the offence under wraps until now to avoid undermining the Christmas road safety campaign.

“Ken has been a very good deputy commissioner for road traffic,” Mr Cameron said.

“What has occurred is a disappointment and I know Ken is very disappointed in himself.”

Mr Cameron shook off claims that Mr Lay’s confession was media managed, saying it was up to Mr Lay and Victoria Police to decide the best time to tell the public.

Mr Cameron would not say exactly when he was told about Mr Lay’s indiscretion, but said he was told sometime this week.

“I was told about it this week and Ken told me about it himself yesterday," he said.

He said the timing of Mr Lay's revelation did not bother him and that it had been up to Mr Lay to tell Chief Commissioner Simon Overland about the incident and then it was at Mr Overland's discretion.

Mr Cameron said while he has been caught speeding himself, he has not received a fine in about 15 years.

This morning, Mr Lay said he kept the $245 fine a secret - he only confided with Mr Overland - until now because he was the front man in a heavily promoted Christmas campaign to keep the state's road toll down over the holidays.....

-------------------------------------------

interesting.............
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

A whole lot of fuf over nothing.

What it does highlight is the pointlessness of cameras for altering such anti-social behavior. Instead of having plod give you a lecture about the dangers of speeding a minute after you were clocked over the limit... instead, you're an oblivious hoon for the next few weeks until you receive your self-imposed tax.

I don't even understand why the public needs to know. Had it been an offence that lost the commissioner his licence or he accumulated enough penalties to have his licence suspended - have at it. There's not a motorist alive that hasn't exceeded the posted limit by 10kph at one time or another.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #36
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
A whole lot of fuf over nothing.

What it does highlight is the pointlessness of cameras for altering such anti-social behavior. Instead of having plod give you a lecture about the dangers of speeding a minute after you were clocked over the limit... instead, you're an oblivious hoon for the next few weeks until you receive your self-imposed tax.

I don't even understand why the public needs to know. Had it been an offence that lost the commissioner his licence or he accumulated enough penalties to have his licence suspended - have at it. There's not a motorist alive that hasn't exceeded the posted limit by 10kph at one time or another.
It's not nothing. The thing is this bloke floods our TV screens telling us that anyone that dare drive over the limit is a killer and that we'll all burn in the fires of he'll ofer do any more than three over. He really is without a doubt the worst for speed cameras that I have seen. For him to speed, cover it up and then come out and say what he has is a massive issue.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #37
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

what they say about speeding has gone from warnings about the possible dangers and concequences to OMG YOU SPEED YOU'RE GONNA KILL EVERYONE so no-one listens anymore
Old 15-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #38
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

fordforums.au needs to create a lynch mob... I have no issues with creating said mob either ;)...

Serious note, the guy is a moron, and it is NEWS and public do need to be aware of it as he is violated the VERY thing he seemingly stands for.

usually I hate the media but guess what... you reap what you sow ;)... SUFFER IN YOUR JOCKS .

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
SUFFER IN YOUR JOCKS .
Haven't heard that one for a very long time.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #40
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
so no-one listens anymore
Because the sheep on the roads have already been brainwashed to drive 20k's under the speed limit with the 'wipe off 5'.
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #41
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

to slide into a tree on bitumen... at 80km/h on a straight road, maybe he needs to check the tyres, or his ability to operate a vehicle.

receiving a fine after 6 weeks, come on... that's not good -- in that time he could have wiped himself off

if, however.. it was a police officer with a gun on him, he would no doubt have been let off (as humans make mistakes) like most of us... but the cameras are basically zero tolerance!!!
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #42
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It's not nothing. The thing is this bloke floods our TV screens telling us that anyone that dare drive over the limit is a killer and that we'll all burn in the fires of he'll ofer do any more than three over. He really is without a doubt the worst for speed cameras that I have seen. For him to speed, cover it up and then come out and say what he has is a massive issue.
Exactly.

And the whole 'his record speaks for itself' business... please. How long has he been a senior officer? I can't imagine a lowly traffic officer pulling him over and issuing a ticket... as for cameras, well... who's to say how many have been issued and quietly made to go away? It sounds like this one would have gone away too, that is, until someone leaked it and now that it's out, conveniently, it was kept from the public not to undermine the safety campaign. PFFFT.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #43
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the moment i read his statements and his article in the herald sun today... oh my god, first thing in the morning over breakfast and my blood is already boiling!
the way he spoke was as if hes lucky to be alive when he was speeding with the lame excuse that he had just driven 3 hours
and that the speed cameras practically saved his life! the whole thing has been turned into one of the most ridiculous PR stunts ive ever seen
hes speaking like at that point in time he was walking a tightrope, he was obviously comfortable doing that speed or else he wouldnt have been doing it and im pretty sure id be right in saying he judged it as a safe speed at the time for that stretch of road unless he KNOWINGLY endangered other road users and himself at that point of time which cannot be excused.
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #44
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we are all having a bit of fun at Mr Lay's expense, myself included.

The issue I have with this turn of events is that you have a situation where Victoria's top traffic cop, the one person who you would expect above all others to drive safely, and to drive to the conditions has been done for 10 over in some sleepy backwater town. If he can get done, then this is proof beyond doubt that the system is too harsh. Because he's no hoon, he's no danger to society even though his self-depreciating comments would suggest otherwise.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #45
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
If he can get done, then this is proof beyond doubt that the system is too harsh. Because he's no hoon, he's no danger to society even though his self-depreciating comments would suggest otherwise.
that is just what it is, like i said he obviously judged it as a safe and comfortable speed at the time
if a police officer of 35 years can make that mistake, how is it that if a p plater, apparently the most inexperienced drivers on the road lose their license if they get caught making a similar mistake only twice?
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #46
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

because its not a mistake.

the human mind is conditioned to do what is comfortable.

the human mind is conditioned to go after logical outcomes.

thats why people think "WTF?????" when ken lay comes out with ridiculous scripted responses. going against the grain of the human mind.

(disclaimer, some people dont have logic.)
Old 16-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #47
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I can say is suck sheet.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #48
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is Jim Henderson is sending some of his cast (read Muppets) to interview Ken Lay, whom have probably been given prepared questions to ask Mr Lay, by Mr Lay's media department.

I have grave concerns sharing the road with Mr Lay's driving ability. By his own admissions, through his statement, and the ads he speaks in, he is incompetent to handle a vehicle over the posted speed limit (as it might slide into a tree).

Here we have a lunatic in charge of the mental institution. Thank god I'm in WA, not Victoria.
Old 16-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #49
ZC001
Cruisin

HYPOCRISY - Cop who just received speeding fine in mail telling us how if we speed we will die.

Victoria Police - Asleep at the wheel. The lights are on, but nobody is home.
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #50
max_torq
From the Futura

This has to be a opportunity to advocate for compulsory driver training. This senior policeman doesn't feel confidant to keep the car on the road, he doesn't maintain concentration in driving, and doesn't take his necessary breaks when travelling. He exceeded the limit without killing anyone, this should inform him that speed is not the answer.
max_torq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #51
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol.

if only we had someone at the top who could make an example of him.
Old 16-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #52
richa
handsomest man in showbiz

Red face

'Could not remember...Fatigue setting in.....It's uncomfortable for me'
This guy either needs a new spin machine,or a chauffeur.

In hindsight, Mr Lay said he should have taken a break from driving to stop fatigue setting in.

When he received the penalty notice in mid-November, he could not remember driving through the town.

Mr Lay said he was not speeding in the line of duty and had to pay the penalty.

"It's uncomfortable for me," he said.

'72 GS
richa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #53
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe it was harsh of me to say suck sheet to Mr Lay. It was callous cold and demeaning to him as the head of Vic police.

NAH

Suck sheet hypocrite. I get no sympathy for a minor traffic infringement then why should you - and I'm in SA!

I don't listen to anything the police say about speeding anymore. Its a broken record just designed to protect a revenue stream. So I look at it like a lottery. A random taxation lottery, where if you "win" you donate some money to the state.

If you drive carefully and obey the rules you reduce your risk of winning, but you know your number will come up eventually.

Anyways how can you say that a speed camera fine increaes safety. It comes several weeks after the infringement in which time you could have done all sorts of attrocious things to society.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #54
Angeldust

by his own admission, he should now be banned from driving as he's incapable and is a danger on our roads.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #55
SDKC
To punish and enslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
The problem is Jim Henderson is sending some of his cast (read Muppets) to interview Ken Lay, whom have probably been given prepared questions to ask Mr Lay, by Mr Lay's media department.

I think you mean Jim Henson.
SDKC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #56
durtyharry

Having read all the responses here, all I can say here is many of you have provided examples of “not letting the facts get in the way of a good story”.
We have two lines of conclusions/responses:

Had a Police Officer been there with a radar gun you would have woken up to what you were doing and driven at the speed limit, but no. You had to wait 6 whole weeks until you received your fine so that's 6 whole weeks of being a dangerous menace to society. How many innocent children did you kill in that time you evil anti-social menace Mr Lay?
And

“What else concerns me as well as the obvious that has already been well and truly addressed in this thread, is the sheer fact that by his own admision that he is a bit shaky when travelling at 80 in a 70 zone, by publicly stating that he actually believes that "he could have slid into a tree" from I am guessing was such a dangerous act!”

It would appear that journalists that provided this tabloid article deliberately set out to provoke these ideas(its good for sales, feedback columns), and it would appear many of you have been duped by the selective quoting provided.
Mr Lay explains in his interview about the time delay of 6 weeks, why not go back and listen to what he said, there is a link in the article for the very first post. Basically he knew he was going to be canned either way and he took the option that he didnt want to avoid sullying the road safety message in the weeks before one of the most critical time of the year in a campaign where he was a very public face.

Of course we have here all the stupidity about how Mr Lay was roaming free for six weeks to kill people in the meantime and therefore speed cameras are useless.

You all know that simply speeding doesnt instantly cause accidents?, it just increases your chances, and the message has never been otherwise(despite the whimperings in this thread).

Point is speed cameras modify the behaviour of motorists for the long term, that is what is important. Having got a fine for going through a camera “they didnt even see”, most sensible people then take the approach, “perhaps I should travel within the speed limit all the time in future, so it doesnt happen again and I may avoid losing my licence etc”

Of course some of you twisted(or were manipulated by the tabloid media) what he said in relation to :
“What else concerns me as well as the obvious that has already been well and truly addressed in this thread, is the sheer fact that by his own admision that he is a bit shaky when travelling at 80 in a 70 zone, by publicly stating that he actually believes that "he could have slid into a tree" from I am guessing was such a dangerous act!”
He claims that he must of been fatigued since he didnt notice the reduced speed limit sign and he possibly wasnt far away from being one of the many casualties that ends up leaving the roadway due to fatigue and hitting a tree, not that actually doing 10km/h over the speed limit would be the cause of him leaving the road in this situation. The speed restriction sign, I anticipate is there to slow down traffic in an area where there is local traffic.

Personally Im very disappointed in Mr Lay’s indiscretion and while I think he has great integrity, the damage done to the message here is great and Commissioner Overlander should look to replace him. I think we all expect that the person in charge of giving the message should be responsible in abiding by all road laws and expectations, I dont think that is too much to achieve if you make it a priority.
durtyharry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #57
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyharry
Mr Lay explains in his interview about the time delay of 6 weeks, why not go back and listen to what he said, there is a link in the article for the very first post. Basically he knew he was going to be canned either way and he took the option that he didnt want to avoid sullying the road safety message in the weeks before one of the most critical time of the year in a campaign where he was a very public face.
Ok, that being the point, and not sullying the road safety message over the Christmas and New Year break, how did he perform? Any road fatalities in Victoria over the break? According to his logic there should have been none, yet if he'd let the cat out of the bag prior to the break the fatality rate would have been unacceptable.

Oh, wait, Victoria did suffer road fatalities over the break, and he didn't let his traffic indescretion be know until after the break. The problem for Mr Lay, and the whole 'speed kills' propaganda machine is that their policy has failed. Road fatality statistics backup my argument.
Old 26-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #58
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

i say we need this hoon off the road asap!
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #59
durtyharry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon
Ok, that being the point, and not sullying the road safety message over the Christmas and New Year break, how did he perform? Any road fatalities in Victoria over the break? According to his logic there should have been none, yet if he'd let the cat out of the bag prior to the break the fatality rate would have been unacceptable.

Oh, wait, Victoria did suffer road fatalities over the break, and he didn't let his traffic indescretion be know until after the break. The problem for Mr Lay, and the whole 'speed kills' propaganda machine is that their policy has failed. Road fatality statistics backup my argument.
How did you know it failed? Any deaths = fail?

How do stats back up your argument? How do you know that without the campaign that fatalities would not be far worse. Are you measuring the total number of people injured or just fatalities.

Do you have a delorean? The only way to really know that is to go back in time and run the Christmans period again without the ad campaign.

Perhaps you are going to tell us all that only one incident in vic was due to the cause of excess speed and that was due to moronic behaviour anyway?

Wouldnt it be prudent to argue that if none of the fatalities involved excess speed that the message on speed and its enforcement is getting through?
durtyharry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #60
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyharry
How did you know it failed? Any deaths = fail?

How do stats back up your argument? How do you know that without the campaign that fatalities would not be far worse. Are you measuring the total number of people injured or just fatalities.

Do you have a delorean? The only way to really know that is to go back in time and run the Christmans period again without the ad campaign.

Perhaps you are going to tell us all that only one incident in vic was due to the cause of excess speed and that was due to moronic behaviour anyway?

Wouldnt it be prudent to argue that if none of the fatalities involved excess speed that the message on speed and its enforcement is getting through?
It failed. By keeping his speeding infringement secret in an attempt to not undermine his road safety messages they failed in their approach. People died on the road.

They remind me of the IPCC and it's 'climate change/global warming/global cooling' so called evidence.

You're argument is about as rediculous as the "cost of inaction is greater than the cost of action" trash spewed out by our PM in his case for AGW action. Lies.

Last edited by Romulus; 27-01-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post