Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #31
IDT
Marko

Default Re: The dark side

My brother owns one, very nice car.
If I wanted to be really picky, to my brothers frustration, his wife who is a bit on the short side, struggles with the blind spots especially when reversing.

Bit of the old, that should polish out NOT!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #32
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg938
I've read that they have clutch problems with the manual ones.
when you give it a boot full and quickly change from 1st to 2nd the clutch pedal doesn't come back up off the floor, but 2nd engages. i usually just pull the pedal back up with my foot before the 2nd to 3rd change.

i have a 07 SSV manual with exhaust for the V8 sound. i was looking at FG XR6T's for our 'family' car because my wife didn't want a V8 - so she got her SUV and i got my V8 for me and now she loves driving my car and uses my car for her business (hers has kids seats in it and not enough room for stock)

i know the 6T's are quicker, but they just don't have the sound of the 8, and i figure most of my time will be driving sensibly so at least my car will sound nice at the speed limit

my car has nearly 80k's on it without major problems that i know of yet and i have had for since march. mine has a small power steering leak that i'm chasing at the moment though. i test drove one car that had a hard life, noises and clunks from the rear, clunky rubbish gear box and a massive knock in the front brakes or steering.. i steered well clear of that car.

and as people have said the auto's aren't much chop especially compared to the ZF in the falsons - but people seem happier with the holden auto after a tune.

TUF270 is selling his SS so it might be worth asking him about them.

Last edited by sneaky; 01-08-2012 at 10:48 PM.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #33
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is it a Holden or a chev?
Just watch the electronics in them they are not the best in them
Old 01-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #34
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrghia
is it a Holden or a chev?
Just watch the electronics in them they are not the best in them
haha, if I do go for one it won't be getting touched with chev badges.
What electrical gremlins do they have? I've read that but not sure what problems it actually has.

And to put everyone at ease I'm actually fighting the urge to buy an SS-V and getting tempted to splash out and get an ex demo FG2 XR6T - If I can find one with the right specs and right price.

I know I saw a thread somewhere with what prices people have paid for theirs but I can't seem to find it? can someone link me to it?

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
scottyg938 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #35
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Blue camp/Red camp aside drive the VE SS back to back with the FG Turbo and everything will become crystal clear....cream always rises to the top!
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #36
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg938
Is there anything I should be looking out for (apart from the wrong badge on it)?
Yeah, you gotta put Chev badges on it cause it makes the car go fully sick m8!
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #37
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ss' are nice cars no doubt, but drive an ss and an fg turbo back to back, then pick the one that makes you smile more. I think I know what it will be.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #38
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I'd spend a little extra and grab either a newer Ss/SSV or a FG XR6T/XR8 can't really go wrong either way, great cars for the money.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #39
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I walked into the dealer wanting a v8, drove it, then drove the turbo... Rest is history.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
I walked into the dealer wanting a v8, drove it, then drove the turbo... Rest is history.
That is exactly what happened with me when I went to replace my GT-P in 2005.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #41
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I want a Ford 6T but if an SS came up at the right price and right specs I would be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. Chase the performance mate, not the badge.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #42
strobe

I miss the days where you'd disown your sister for dating a guy who drove a holden.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #43
XRDeeze
UTRIED

[quote=scottyg938]Hey all.

I'm considering crossing over to the dark side An 06 VE SS-V has popped up at a price that is almost too good to resist.
quote]

DO IT!! MY Friend has one and it just beats the FG Turbo in many ways, accept for acceleration.

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #44
Booger

I just sold an 07 SSV to get a S/C GS. My SSV was an auto and was putting out 325kw atw. They do make a lot of power and respond well to modifications. Don't know what these electrical problems are people are talking about? only problem I ever had that was electrical was the HVAC played up and the climate control cut in and out. It was fixed under warranty and never had a problem since.

Getting that sort of power out of them does start getting expensive though. It cost me close to 10 grand to get that. To get anymore would have meant forced induction or stroking which would have been big dollars. I can just tune the new GS and get more than what the SSV had.

Contrary to some of the comments so far SSV's aren't as common. A lot more SS's and SV6's around than SSV's. They have nice visual appeal but that's all subjrctive I guess.

Look out for clunky front suspension, especially in an early model. I don't know all the technical names but there are rubber donuty things in the engine bay on top of the strut towers. If the gap between the rubber and the tower is to big it can mean a problem with the front suspension.

And if your interested to know prices I sold mine for 20 Grand. A bit low but I wanted the GS. So for an 06 unless it's got a fair few mods and low km's I wouldn't be paying much more than that.
Booger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #45
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger
Contrary to some of the comments so far SSV's aren't as common. A lot more SS's and SV6's around than SSV's. They have nice visual appeal but that's all subjrctive I guess.
You sound like my brother defending his purchase. I'm sorry but a little bit of chrome and a V on a badge doesnt make it instantantly different to the cooking model SS in appearance

Interior is nice and all and it has all the toys but from outward appearances it still looks like a VE SS. Same as a luxury pack XR8 or XR6T still looks like a base XR8/XR6T. Not saying that they are a bad purchase, just that they look near enough the same, especially to the layman.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
You sound like my brother defending his purchase. I'm sorry but a little bit of chrome and a V on a badge doesnt make it instantantly different to the cooking model SS in appearance

Interior is nice and all and it has all the toys but from outward appearances it still looks like a VE SS. Same as a luxury pack XR8 or XR6T still looks like a base XR8/XR6T. Not saying that they are a bad purchase, just that they look near enough the same, especially to the layman.
Not trying to defend anything just stating a fact. In the 4 years I owned the SSV I saw a lot more SS's and SV6's that SSV's on the road and yeah the V badge does make it instantly different. Different wheels, different tail lights, different head lights, standard leather interior, upgraded sound system, climate control. I think that's enough to make it different.

But to the OP if you can get it for a good price and it's in good condition get it for sure. They're about the best V8 you'll get for the price and age.
Booger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #47
MustangNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
when you give it a boot full and quickly change from 1st to 2nd the clutch pedal doesn't come back up off the floor, but 2nd engages. i usually just pull the pedal back up with my foot before the 2nd to 3rd change.
That's odd I've had an '08 SSV for four years now and have never seen that behaviour - my clutch engages/disengages about 2 inches from the top of it's arc and is always quick on release. I do know that the VYs had a restrictor in the clutch return line to prevent the resivoir from getting to low; I don't think they did that with the VEs as well.
MustangNut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #48
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Well I took the SS-V out for a test drive today. (after taking an auto FG XR6T just minute before)

First impression - that sound is amazing, It does have a fair bit of up and go in it... and that sound!
heard of problems of vibrations at around 100 so took it up the main road and it didn't seem to have any problems.
Took it down a few back roads, thought I would see how it is taking off from lower speeds in higher gears (80kp/h in 6th gear @1400RPM)
THUMP!!! sounded like the diff bush in the BA but about 8 times louder.
Tried it again, THUMP!!! followed by a loud grinding sound coming from the diff area that didn't stop till I let off the accelerator.

Did it again on my way back to the dealer to make sure it wasn't just a once off, sure enough it did the same thing.

Got back to the dealer and he asked how it went, told him it had a few problems and started explaining what was happening... He just said 'Yeah, good luck anyway' and turned around and walked off.

I then went out to another ford dealer thinking they had a FG XR6T in manual there, unfortunately they didn't.
although they did order a little something in for me which I will be taking delivery on at the end of the month should financing be approved and at a rate that I'm happy with and subject to test drive

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
Old 02-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #49
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

A little something. I'm going to take a little as being literal and say ST focus? Lol.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #50
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not get a older v8 falcon and supercharge it?

Your all right about the holden electrical gremlins.

The worst one i heard of was from someone i knew who had to get their ECU replaced since it would randomly **** itself cost him alot of money to replace it and ontop of that alot of older commo's i see have abs,cruise, ecu or other electrical problems.

In short dont do it, also probably not the best forum to ask if you should buy a holden :p
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #51
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Why not get a older v8 falcon and supercharge it?
p
I've owned an EF with a GT35R strapped to the side of it a while back and it caused too many headaches
I would rather something I can get in and drive myself to sydney and back and know I won't have any issues (unlike my old xr6t which made it to the other side of canberra and lost 3rd & 4th gears.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #52
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate to be the one to say it but why not look at a nice little jap sports coupe from the 90's? early 2000's ?

Some nice little skylines and supra/soarers floating around for $5K almost unmolested/riced
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #53
XR8_ash
2 wheel pilot, V8 novice.

XR 6 TURBO all the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay......
XR8_ash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #54
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

i love my SV6. 2010 SIDI with the new clutch to clutch 6spd auto.

kinda like comparing the old french 5spd to the new zf6spd with the autos tho. the old autos in the pre 2010 era arnt as good as the new ones.

the SV6 can pull a 14 second quater and thats as fast as most xr8s (mates BA xr8 ute would pull 15s all day but nothing more)

its faster than the MPS6 i had, all day everyday. much nicer to live with too.

what suprised me tho, was how well glued together it is. i was expecting nothing different than the ol VR i had in the early 2000s, but its just as well built as a current falcon, and they feel great to be in.

only gripe with mine is its the last of Series 1, so no big screen for me :(

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post