Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #31
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

this is what we need more young girls that like falcons,in turn they wont go out with the red brigade ,so red turn blue ...ford wins sales race ...end of gc ...woohooo ,going to have a drink on that if you dont mind lol
Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
I agree, No Learner (specially a 16 yo) should be Allowed to Drive a Turbo or High Powered V8.
Is just Crazy, what would Happen if her Foot Slipped & she Hit the Throttle by Mistake :

She would be better off sticking with Mums Corolla until she has a few Years Experiance, I mean Really do we as Parents allow our Children to have Everything they want these days?

Just Crazy.
Doesnt matter if its an I6T or V8 it can happen in an everyday car
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 08-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #33
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
No, not silly. We are referring to an L plate driver with supervision, not P plate drivers. Why did this thread have to turn into yet another P plate bashing thread? Because someone did not read the first post. I will get it back to topic - L plate supervised driver in a late model high power car. Lucky bugger!
I seem to recall a fatal crash a few years ago on the Western Hwy between Melb and Ballarat where a 16yo female L-Plater driving Dads VX Clubsport with Dad in front and Mum, brother in back crossed the divided highway and had a head-on (IIRC) killing all (again IIRC) in the VX, whilst under supervision in a late model, high powered car.

How this happened, I don't know....
Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #34
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

So...These daughters of yours...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #35
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
I seem to recall a fatal crash a few years ago on the Western Hwy between Melb and Ballarat where a 16yo female L-Plater driving Dads VX Clubsport with Dad in front and Mum, brother in back crossed the divided highway and had a head-on (IIRC) killing all (again IIRC) in the VX, whilst under supervision in a late model, high powered car.

How this happened, I don't know....

I remeber that one as well, tragic accident. I'm pretty sure it wasn't speed related though?
Old 09-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #36
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good on ya for trusting her enough to let her drive it wish my dad would let me drive his XR6T.. wouldn't let me - purely because it was another $1200 a year to insure for under 25's - have to say i've taken it up and down the street after washin it though :P very nice
Old 09-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #37
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Buddy Buddy Buddy.... If your just looking for a bite, no doubt there's plenty of fish here... But IF, by chance you ARE serious with that post...Then, my man YOU have NO idea!
I could have Picked from a Few Stupid Posts in Reply to what I have said & taken them on Point to Point however yours has the be the Most Stupid as it does not address the Topic at all & just name calls.

To all of you who think it makes no Differance if a L plater is driving a car that could get up to a high speed in a very short amount of time or a car that takes 2 or 3 times as long to get to the same speed all I can say is refer to my post in the Mistakes Carsalesmen Have Made as I said it is people in general who are thick these days & not just car Salesmen & now once again my point has been proven in this Thread.

Others in here say that all learner Drivers have a foot slip off the brake onto the Throttle moment but still you say oh it is ok for a L plater to drive a high performance vehicle, now lets just think about that for a minute shall we...
common for the old Foot slip & mash the Throttle but is ok to do this in a Powerful vehicle & say run over & Kill pedestrians just like that African Woman with a mental History did on a Driving Lesson :

Yes & she was not Driving a Powerful vehicle & still managed it.

To the Guy who took her Driving I say you are the Thick person!

It does make a Differance if something goes wrong & say your Foots slips if the vehicle is say a Corolla or a G6ET etc...

Others have said the G6E would be a safer vehicle for your daughter to learn in, well maybe yes but what about other people like Pedestrians?

It is not all about how safe your Daughter may be only.

Of course I have not Mentioned P platers in this Thread however it is well known on this Forum that I think the Driving age should be lifted to 18 :

ok so rant & rave as much as you like with your silly return arguments which in many cases show no common sense at all, though I think a mod will close this Thread soon enough
Old 09-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #38
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I had a kid and they were on their L's, I'd teach them in my WRX. They are better off learning how to drive a powerful car early whilst under supervision.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #39
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

You think you have problems with the car she drives, sounds like dad is the one sitting behind the bushes with a 9mm and her boyfriends gonads in the scope!

Oh, and for those behind the keyboard in this thread, back to topic or go start another thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #40
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=fangq]Our 16 year old eldest is 60 hours into her learners log book ( 5 months QLD ), the majority of which have been done in my wife's 6 speed manual Corolla.
She had her first drive today in the G6E T and responsibly drove same.
It's interesting to see a new driver commenting on throttle response/ auto box etc ( we did have mission debrief before we started :-)
Nice to see ; mind you , she has her heart set on a Porsche or Lambo..

I find a few of the posts replied abit rough :
After re reading fangq's short post twice, i did not find an indication anywhere, saying that his daughter drove on the local street, shopping centres, major highways, or racetrack! :rolleyes: Yet, a few members seem to be really sticking it to him...
:jab: :jab:

He is not breaking the law, and has made a descision as a parent, to give her a go and afterwards would work out if it was a good, or a not soo good descision
:

I think a few of the replies miss the point of his post.

I say good on him for having the pair of : to give her a go, and it is great to see how the young girl was keen to pick up on some driving position creature comforts ;)
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
Old 09-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #41
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I could have Picked from a Few Stupid Posts in Reply to what I have said & taken them on Point to Point however yours has the be the Most Stupid as it does not address the Topic at all & just name calls.

To all of you who think it makes no Differance if a L plater is driving a car that could get up to a high speed in a very short amount of time or a car that takes 2 or 3 times as long to get to the same speed all I can say is refer to my post in the Mistakes Carsalesmen Have Made as I said it is people in general who are thick these days & not just car Salesmen & now once again my point has been proven in this Thread.

Others in here say that all learner Drivers have a foot slip off the brake onto the Throttle moment but still you say oh it is ok for a L plater to drive a high performance vehicle, now lets just think about that for a minute shall we...
common for the old Foot slip & mash the Throttle but is ok to do this in a Powerful vehicle & say run over & Kill pedestrians just like that African Woman with a mental History did on a Driving Lesson :

It does make a Differance if something goes wrong & say your Foots slips if the vehicle is say a Corolla or a G6ET etc...

Others have said the G6E would be a safer vehicle for your daughter to learn in, well maybe yes but what about other people like Pedestrians?

Of course I have not Mentioned P platers in this Thread however it is well known on this Forum that I think the Driving age should be lifted to 18 :

ok so rant & rave as much as you like with your silly return arguments which in many cases show no common sense at all, though I think a mod will close this Thread soon enough
You still seem to be stuck with this idea of the kid's foot getting mixed up. This is an old person's dilemma, not a youngster's. Teenagers are far, far better at proprioception than old people. I'll explain this for you in simple terms - they can tell where their feet are and what they are pressing. This is why youngsters learn physical skills such as soccer so much quicker than oldies. Old people lose proprioception through age related and neurological deterioration, so they are the real threat when it comes to getting their feet mixed up (and why some oldies get an idea in their head that cannot be shaken).

It is not illegal in some states to train an L plater in a high performance car. I think the fanastic range of high performance late model falcons are a much safer option than an old corolla.

And the comment about pedestrians???? What the? Maybe it would be an ideal world that we could use a landcruiser with a massive bull bar, and then we could really make a mess when we hit someone.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #42
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes it does. It probably would be more dangerous in the Corolla if it happens at speed due to the lack of extra safety features such as DSC, traction control, etc, etc.
The type of car doesn't really matter that much until you weigh up the situation it is in. Sure, from stop, mashing the pedal in the G6ET would be more dangerous that the Corolla, but that is only one possible scenario.
Each car would have their pro's and con's faced with different scenarios.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
My First car when I turned 17 was a 351 XD with LSD etc... I had to learnt o respect that torque or I would have been a statistic.
Nothing wrong with kids and grunty cars, my kids paddock car is an EA, they are 3. 5 and 7.
Sounds like me, first car was an XD 351. I spun it once in the wet and learnt a very valuable lesson, lucky I didn't hit anything.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #44
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:

I was giving you the benifit of the doubt after your first post but after reading this I cant let it go, because she is a L plate driver DOSENT mean by default she is useless, i was driving around on a farm from the age of 10, by the time I had my L's i would have had over 500hours of driving practice everyones circumstances are different, and some people cant handle a high performance car regardless if they are 16 or 60, you post seems like you were denied your fathers car when you were younger as apart from make you look foolish by not backing up ANY comments with facts you class everyone in the same basket then call for the legal age to be 18.. so at 18 you have as much experience as a 16yo which is NONE, your just 2 years older.. kind of pointless really.

as far as commenting on the L driver and putting her foot down and mowing down pedestrians, she did that in an ECHO far from being HP car, the G6ET has ABS, EBD, ESP and unless your under it is a very docile car, unless she is doing full throttle starts from the lights with ESP off i hardly see the danger, and with dad in the passanger seat im sure thats not occuring.

on topic, good on you for letting your daugher experence a range of cars, FWD/RWD handle differently and its good for her to realise this before she gets let loose by herself.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #45
290v
290v

I taught one of my daughters to drive on the open road in you BA GT she was quite good i was S$#@t scared
Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #46
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that I have an obligation to bite.

I wonder exactly what vehicle Buddy1 would classify as the best learners vehicle?
I taught our eldest daughter to drive in our 1992 Corolla. The vehicle had over 250,000 kilometres on the clock. It was underpowered, so I imagine that it would get a big tick from Buddy1. The brakes were OK (4 wheel disks). The steering and handling were abysmal. There were no mechanical defects, it was just that a vehicle with that number of kilometres on the clock suffers from a tired chassis, and it shows. The car tracked along any imperfections in the road and my eldest daughter was always one step behind (or seriously out of synch with) the vehicle. To the point that I was beginning to wonder if she would even be able to get a licence.

About half way through her training I got a Territory. Not long after that she started driving it. The difference was remarkable. Unlike the Corolla, the Territory obediently followed her command and her driving style showed remarkable improvement. We still had the occasional moment, as one does with all learner drivers, but, unlike the Corolla, the Territory recovered swiftly and surely.

My youngest daughter started learning in the Territory. She even did a lap around Bathurst with only 10 hours in her log book. (Mind you, it was the slowest lap of Bathurst I have ever seen.) When external events forced us to say goodbye to the Territory, the youngest daughter was given her choice of vehicle to continue her instructions. Either my G6E or my wife’s new Mazda 3. After a test drive in both, she has a strong preference for the G6E. Why? Because she likes the way it drives and it has heaps more street cred.

By no way does this dis the Mazda 3. I think that it is a great car and I will definitely upgrade the vehicle with another Mazda 3 when the new model comes out.

I have no problem with a learner driver in a G6ET. There is adult supervision in the vehicle, so, things should be fine. I do have a problem with it being in the hands of a fresh P-Plater who does not have parental supervision in the car. But, that is another story.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #47
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

whynot** that couldnt have been any better put, and I do agree about the P plater rule, and although i had a V8 as my first car it was a VK calais with a 253, harldy a power house but it did make all the right noises LOL.

a std corolla now will do 200kmh, i know i have have tried yes it takes longer to get there but it still does, but has *untill recently* no ESP or TRC and is 4 star crash safety rating, after driving alot of vehicles being in the automotive industury with toyota and lexus before being in the finance sector I perfer and do feel safer in a falcon/mid to large car than in a shoebox 5 star safety or not.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 AM   #48
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
I learnt in a 4x4 on a farm, then an xa falcon 250 2v auto. Both were far more of a handful than a g6et.

My kids will probably be learning in the xr6t and the gt-p. All 3 of the kids will have a very watchful eye over them, but i trust them, and they are better cars in the event of a crash than the old cars.

Man, you were lucky. I learnt in an 8t bedford truck, rust holes in the floor and no synchro on the box. Steering was a 1/4 turn before the wheels actually did anything. The plus side was it was physically impossible to do a burn out, even on gravell. By the way, that was on a farm and I was about 12. By 13 I was driving a HT Kingswood (my own) down to the back paddocks (about 15km on gravell roads).

Kids can be responsible, it is all about how they are taught. I say good on him for giving her the experience under competent supervision.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #49
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Man, you were lucky. I learnt in an 8t bedford truck, rust holes in the floor and no synchro on the box. Steering was a 1/4 turn before the wheels actually did anything. The plus side was it was physically impossible to do a burn out, even on gravell. By the way, that was on a farm and I was about 12. By 13 I was driving a HT Kingswood (my own) down to the back paddocks (about 15km on gravell roads).

Kids can be responsible, it is all about how they are taught. I say good on him for giving her the experience under competent supervision.
Farms are a great way to learn about vehicles. At 13 i used to compete with dad in a dewy paddock to see who could go the fastest then pull the handbrake hard to do as many 360s as possible. I managed 7 1/2 one time!
I taught car control, but also to respect the car - i lost control many times doing 10km/h on frosty paddocks, slowly sliding down a hill with no possibility of stopping. It taught me to respect what can happen in a 1.5 tonne missile. it doesn't matter how powerful the missile is, they can all be lethal.

I then moved onto a motorbike licence before i got my car licence. This taught me to never trust another vehicle, which is probably a more important lesson.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 10-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #50
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Geezuz

We are still going on with the chest beating crap.

Settled, any bastard with man boobs bigger than I can ask for the thread to be re-opened, till then if you want to start another thread on the off topic subject feel free.
Closed Thread