Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #31
ck11

But how accesible is that power and how often do you really make use of it? Police brand you a hoon if you accelerate "excessively" so even getting to the speed limit quickly is turning into a crime.

I understand that a V6 is a must for country drives, because the travelling comfort/effortless crusing is brilliant. But i still found it quite frustrating sticking to the limit on a drive to coffs harbour when the car was easily capable of comfortably cruising at 130km/h.
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #32
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
'Excessive Acceleration' is an offence
Are you for real!!!!
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #33
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
Are you for real!!!!
Ever heard of the terms "Driving with undue care" or "Driving in a dangerous manner?"
I'm sure it could be interpreted in that way easily by a cop.

As for power, 100kw in the Peugeot is fine and dandy, considering that we live in the country. We have 320Nm of torque on tap for those overtaking maneuvers. I just the fact that you leave it in 5th gear at 90km/h and just put your foot down. You'll be doing 130-140km/h before you realise it.
In the EL, it's what, 140kw? That's fine for country driving and overtaking too. I wouldn't want a small petrol powered car due to the fact they don't have the kw or Nm needed to overtake safely.
Old 23-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #34
XR6 Hulk

Im happy to stand around a BBQ and say to a mate "you should go for a drive in my falcon, it certainly drives a little better than your commadore" I think for blokes its about bragging rights, who can honestly use their power on the roads where there car is 90% of the time. even a car with 200kw family sedan is too much.

Its sort of like road presence, you dont have to see a tiger rip apart another animal to give it a little respect, you know what it will do if you upset it. Same with a fast powerful car.
XR6 Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #35
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Hulk
I had the T modified to 307rwkw. took it for a spin and thought, surely I dont need this much power. Can only go 60km/h, cant street race, not towing a boat, noone to run. Took the Hyundai Getz for a drive and thought, this car has enough power for everyday commuting.

I say a family car with 200kw at the motor (160rwkw) is more than enough power. Do we want more power because we need it or is it because gotta be better than your next door neighbour and you want bragging rights at the BBQ??

Well what can I say :P

You had a powerful vehicle to start with however still felt it needed more power or you would not have modded it lol

Then after you spend your Money on it to make more power you think about whether or not you need it LMAO

Or did I Miss something?

So anyway in answer to your question I will give you my personal & recent Experiance in this matter.

I had a 05 AWD Terra which was slow to get moving from stopped & even when moving along it often seemed slow to respond unless you managed to catch it in the sweet spot for power & torque & then it seemed to take off like a rocket.

Ok we move along to the BFII XR6 Ute which replaced the Terra.

Now this is another story as the loss of 360 kilos & the slightly better engine does wonders for performance however it was still a bit slow to respond at certain rev range.

So after fitting a F6 lower intake, Turbo upper intake, High flow filter & a Flash Tune it now responds nicely & I am almost happy with that aspect of it & after a nice Exhaust is fitted along with a custom tune it should be what I want.

Though maybe an underdrive will come along also.

Now to explain how much power I need to be Happy it is simple really as at the moment I only need to tickle the throttle with most of my driving to get it to respond in a timely manner & when I overtake it is great as I am only on the wrong side of the road for a few seconds & I often do not realise just how quick I am going till I glance at the speedo as it goes from 80 to well over 100 in the time it takes to get past 1 car.

I can only imagine when I get the Exhaust, 4490's & a Redback system with a High flow Metal cat it will be even better.

Now would I want more next time taking into account I am 45 & have most of my fast driving days behind me?

HELL YES as the Ute has but only made me more keen to maybe try a Turbo next time around or even a FPV Turbo (if I can afford it lol).

See I think it is wonderful to have the power at hand if you need it & that does not mean you have to drive like a nut all the time just because you have the power as even a standard Falcon these days has plenty for Tyre Smoking if that is your thing (not mine anymore).

For me then it is all about Driving Enjoyment as the Days of me placing Huge importance on what other people think have long passed (almost) Enjoy.
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #36
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Lets be fair, how much power do you need!!!
For my GT Enough to be sacred of giving it full throttle.

My Daily, enough to tow the trailer and get reasonable economy.

The Family wagon, enough to overtake with ease, Barra 182 does it well.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #37
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
Choosing not to use the power is infinitely more pleasurable than not having the power to choose.
yep couldnt agree more...

So many times Ive been in dangerous situations because of lack of power, when you need to move you need to move!!!
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #38
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

If you really have to ask that question then your life is probably more or less over and whats the point of going on? You wan't to drive a Hyundai and all you care about now is commuting. Where's your sense of fun and adventure gone. Give it up and pack it in and save the rest of us from having to sit behind you as you do 10kmh an hour under the speed limit in the right lane driving your soul destroying, lifeless korean death trap

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

Enough power? What is this "enough," you speak of? :P
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #40
muppet

Uuuummmmmmm around 1000 hp would be just about enough I reckon.
It's all well and good to say you cant use all that power on the street. But I have to say it is a lot more enjoyable to drive around doing the speed limit in my 550 hp coupe than to drive around in my wife's 87kw corolla.
Old 23-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #41
boxo
fit 'n' turn

An extra 20rwkw every six weeks i reckon.
Old 23-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #42
LUXO_8
windsor user

11,000,000,000kw

!
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #43
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

You ask why, I ask why not!

You can use 500kw, just use it responsibly... Track work, the strip, "private roads"

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #44
gozza

I want enough power to Fry the tires at any given moment in time - Im on way way to getting 300hp - Ultimately 400-500 would be pleasing
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #45
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few years ago I would have said, as much as possible. Today and maybe the last 2 years or so, Im happy with a pretty much stock AU I6 4.0, its not alot, but thats really the level Im accustomed to, and I wouldnt really want anything under 150kw.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #46
ck11

Quote:
If you really have to ask that question then your life is probably more or less over and whats the point of going on? You wan't to drive a Hyundai and all you care about now is commuting. Where's your sense of fun and adventure gone. Give it up and pack it in and save the rest of us from having to sit behind you as you do 10kmh an hour under the speed limit in the right lane driving your soul destroying, lifeless korean death trap
Dont see the need to sit there and attack other people, a lot of others have actually responded with sensible answers. I cant really see you exploiting your sense of "adventure and fun" in an environment where traffic is crawling at 60-70km/h, unless of course you like flooring your car to 70km/h then hitting the brakes.

Note the poster said for "everyday commuting" and presumably in traffic like sydney where people dont get to exploit their cars, which is a fair point. Try driving anywhere within a 20-30km radius of the sydney cbd.
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #47
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8
11,000,000,000kw

!
Too much. Unless thats at the flywheel, but if at the wheels thats too much :hihi:
Old 23-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #48
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people see cars as a way from A TO B. Other's see cars as a hobby, or an adrenalin rush. But to answer the Q, A 200kw engined car would suit me.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #49
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

thats why i dont live anywhere near a city i enjoy All my cars and a little power doesnt hurt i say sorry to those who live in those places. become a country hick and speed a little lol
Old 23-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #50
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

My car has exactly 160rwkw and i must say thats a lot of power!, i drove it for the 1st time in the wet ever last weekend and i broke traction so much it wasnt funny!, it was fun tho lol!
Old 23-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #51
paul_r_d

ummmmmmm 74kw does me and my fiesta fine

I love ripping the falcons and commodores on take off. But they soon catch up :(

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser

Last edited by paul_r_d; 23-01-2008 at 08:28 PM.
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #52
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

500nm of torque always liked driving old v8s that were set up for torque not revs hardly have to put your foot down to pull away from the lights, Torques mor important than outright power.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #53
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
IMO the most you need is 200kw and enough torque to tow a caravan confortably.

Any more is a waste.

I have retired from the 'chasing every kw' race.
says he with the 5 million killowatt barge
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #54
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r_d
ummmmmmm 74kw does me and my fiesta fine

I love ripping the falcons and commodores on take off. But they soon catch up :(
LMAO I am not sure what sort of Falcons you have been beating from takeoff but you would have to have NOS in ya Fiesta to beat me & my Ute from the lights
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #55
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Dads Mazda 323 Astina 03' has enough power for our country driving, overtaking etc etc, same with my mums 99' Festiva.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #56
XABEBAGT
GT Driver

My BAGT has enough power for me however I will be looking forward to the 40 plus extra Kw in the Orion.
XABEBAGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #57
strik9
aka fpv747

450rwkw for a daily driver. now thats what i,m talking about. though i,m chasing 400 again.(lol for people who know my story) he he he
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #58
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
LMAO I am not sure what sort of Falcons you have been beating from takeoff but you would have to have NOS in ya Fiesta to beat me & my Ute from the lights
Any 6-cyl Falcon built between what, 1960 and 1987 will lose to a Fiesta. Some of the EA's (3.2 CFI and 3.9 CFI) will also get spanked. Any EA 3.9 MPFI, or EB-BFII will hose a Fiesta though.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #59
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

How much power do I want?

How much you got??
Old 23-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #60
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Any 6-cyl Falcon built between what, 1960 and 1987 will lose to a Fiesta. Some of the EA's (3.2 CFI and 3.9 CFI) will also get spanked. Any EA 3.9 MPFI, or EB-BFII will hose a Fiesta though.
What if you had 3 100kg blokes ineach car and a 30kg toolbox in the back who would win then. Ive seen plenty of fast crossflow 6 cylinders cam carby exhaust not rocket science to get them to go well
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post