Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #31
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
i know heaps of people who watch bathurst that know very little about cars.
I know people that are car enthusiasts and watch V8SC and still think the commodore racing around bathurst is the same as the one sitting in their driveway
Old 11-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #32
Mansal

Another point to consider.
If Ford / FPV weren't keen to advertise their up-and-comer - why not advertise FPV 'run out deals' instead? Probably not a good idea given the likely sales/campaign.

edit: that's number of sales per campaign (revenue vs advertising expenditure)

Consider how many Ford-fanatics watching the race on TV/in person they would be trying to sell the old stock to (many already aware of the new engine anyway). Plus how many Blue-oval teams are there in this years v8sc?

More cost-effective to market the more cost-effective 'flashy race car' (XR650) to the masses instead (when you consider how many of those new vehicles they're likely to sell).

In short, at times Ford's marketing/promotions plans don't make sence, yet I can see their position from both perspectives. Damned if they do, damned if they don't!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #33
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I guess because if someone went down to their local FPV dealer all excited to look at one they wouldn't have any yet...

Marketing 101, don't get people excited until you can deliver....

Why didn't someone tell this to Ford in 1964 when they were 6 months out from releasing the mustang?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #34
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-814
what was even more dissapointing was that they had a GTP (plus a range of XR6 turbo, Forus RS etc ) on display but at no time did they lift the bonnet to show off their pride & joy. That was very disappointing & might as well not even been there
Branding excercise for the new 335 motor and update - bonnet was never going to open as she had the 5.4 anchor still in her I was told so you don't blame them...yes agree why bother displaying but it did look good for the punters and got the attraction/reaction fpv would have liked.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 11-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #35
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Why would you link the two? - There are no similarities between a v8sc and the new gt.
Because that is where a huge amount of their potential buying demographic is...?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
Branding excercise for the new 335 motor and update - bonnet was never going to open as she had the 5.4 anchor still in her I was told so you don't blame them...yes agree why bother displaying but it did look good for the punters and got the attraction/reaction fpv would have liked.
If thats true, which I find hard to believe (the sounds is completely different) then I wish someone popped the bonnet and shamed them. But yeah, are you sure, I dont think they would have risked that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #37
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Well Polyal without opening the bonnet myself give me your thought with this :
I arrive there before most of the punters - infact from Wed morn for work as we support a larger company with our products.
So I soon enough go to check out the Ford area in the hope to see the GT - mmm seems odd they have a GTP. I ask can I have a look and open the bonnet.
No - the bonnet will not be lifted I'm told - seems odd I thought then I'm advised what I mentioned above....could it be true ?
So you work it out - over the official 4days the Focus had the bonnet up - doesn't matter about the XR6 50th-G6 50th-Mondeo etc nothing really new under the bonnet but the new fpv 8 - yes a GTP was there by decals/wheels etc as was posted but bonnet never opened.
Now doesn't matter about the sound - it arrived probably Tues at worst early Wed morn before I arrived none of the people setting up displays etc would be able to tell at idle as she was parked - heck I was right next to the one Moffat drove Sunday morn for the parade lap and saw the motor with my own eyes,idling to park you wouldn't know.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ive got no idea what their issue is, many things amaze me with FPV. Perhaps it had some developmental parts in there as it was rushed up, so not super clean or finished. Ive got no idea, its very odd that you would bother showing the car and not popping the bonnet as thats all anyone cares about.

Just seems a massive risk to show the car off as the new GTP and still have the BOSS under there, I dont think their that daft. But you never know.

Perhaps they didn;t want a swarm of people if they did, which seems to defeat the whole purpose of it being there....dont know.

Did it have the quad tips?..Guess thats not hard to attach to a BOSS anyway.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #39
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

As has been said the Cobra demonstration in 2007 was much better organised, they have delayed the launch of this car to come in line with the Great race then did nothing with it.

all the while there are that many unconvered examples floating around we have seen pics on here taken by forum members of atleast 2 different models in 2-3 colour combinations.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #40
HSE2

The car was not delayed to come in line with Bathurst. Bathurst is not the cars public reveal. SMS is and with that in mind once you see the Ford stand it will make sense.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #41
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
The car was not delayed to come in line with Bathurst. Bathurst is not the cars public reveal. SMS is and with that in mind once you see the Ford stand it will make sense.
Either way, what FTE217 says is odd. Why bother having a "new" GT there and not popping the bonnet. Everyone knows what they look like through the media, but seeing it in person is different...and Bathurst of all places.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #42
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

It does make sense as HSE2 mentions - all is geared up for the Sydney Motor show "official" release and I'd say as with the press release pics the hero colour once again is blue - hence we saw GTP in the Ford display not blue,Moffat driving a red GTP but I did notice a couple GT's in the carparks over the days but didn't bother looking at them closely....

but I do agree agree having a captive audience nothing like taking advantage of it, many whenever I walked by the GTP they were checking her out wanting more.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #43
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
It does make sense as HSE2 mentions - all is geared up for the Sydney Motor show "official" release and I'd say as with the press release pics the hero colour once again is blue - hence we saw GTP in the Ford display not blue,Moffat driving a red GTP but I did notice a couple GT's in the carparks over the days but didn't bother looking at them closely....

but I do agree agree having a captive audience nothing like taking advantage of it, many whenever I walked by the GTP they were checking her out wanting more.
I can see your point but the audience at the mountain is nothing like the people at the SMS. You could have shown it there and not made a hoopla and still officially do it at the show.

Alternatively if FPV wanted to play that game then they shouldn't have released any pics of the engine until the pop to bonnet at the SMS, media still could have driven it prior too and not seen inside the bay..then they could have teased it out a bit longer.

Ford did a really good job of teasing us with the BA...shame they left their marketing talent in 2002/3.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #44
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Either way, what FTE217 says is odd. Why bother having a "new" GT there and not popping the bonnet. Everyone knows what they look like through the media, but seeing it in persona is different...and Bathurst of all places.

Yes it is Bathurst but it was held before the SMS. For that reason the bonnet would not have been lifted under any circumstances.

The engine has not been shown in public yet has it? They have something special in mind for that. Its unfortunately SMS was not ahead of Bathurst. Had that have been the case you would have had a full FPV support crew, cars, the works.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #45
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Fair enough, i thought bathurst had been earmarked for part of the launch.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #46
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What you are all forgetting is that the GT still has not been Officially released yet. That doesn't happen until later this week at the Motor Show.

As 4VMan said, not much use running ads on TV and then not being able to even show someone a car at a dealership
Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #47
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Fair enough, i thought bathurst had been earmarked for part of the launch.

It is, or should say, was part of the launch that was detailed four weeks ago.

What was at Bathurst was meant to be a tease. The media release of the engine was part of it, the pictures making people want to see it in the flesh but the public unveil of the engine and the way they want it to be unveiled, was always SMS.

It’s all about this week’s show. All the focus and work is at the show. I will be surprised if anyone comes away from the FPV stand disappointed. What is planned for the show couldn’t be replicated at Bathurst and you only get to do it once.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #48
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

We are not forgetting the GT hasn't been released as yet, Polyal and others were making at point with the loose term "free publicity" having a captive audience and at the time send a preview shiver to the opposition bogans lol......

I am not worried about tv ads at present and yes $$$ waste this early but a small fpv crew doing some pr wouldn't have hurt one bit.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #49
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was at Bathurst with a guy from our car club who is very interested in purchasing a new GT. He asked to see the engine and the "salesman" who was there told him that the car actually had a "slave" motor in it and not the new s/c number. As such, they were unable to lift the bonnet.

Interestingly, there was a display of Falcons from the last 50 years at the bottom of Conrod Straight (on Murrays Corner) and there was a new GT there with the bonnet up and yes, it had the new 335kw engine in it...
Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #50
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Such controversy over a closed bonnet......

Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #51
HSE2

Quote:

I don’t think there is. Sounds like the car in question was a mock up and any car that did have its bonnet up wasn't meant to have according to the release schedule of four weeks ago. Media day this week is the official start.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #52
madmatty
dipstick

typical ford.they spend 40 million on a new engine (which is about 10 years to late)and dont take a great opportunity to show it off.way more people watch the great race than go to the sydney motor show.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #53
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
So why disappoint people by having it there? It's obviously done more harm than good, how lame to have the new gtp in the lot to dhow off some wheels and stickers which no one really cares about?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #54
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
So why disappoint people by having it there? It's obviously done more harm than good, how lame to have the new gtp in the lot to dhow off some wheels and stickers which no one really cares about?

In the spirit of correcting more harm than good situations, this thread can go to sleep permanently.

The official public release is this week in Sydney. The effort to get ready for that commitment on top of everything else they are doing to bring the product to market, should not be under estimated.
Closed Thread