Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #31
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Little O/T, but relate, I was sitting in traffic today in the gateway carpark heading north, in arvo peak hour, and everyone in traffic was doing maybe 20-30kph, there was a speed camera located at the bottom of the bridge and just around the corner, and even though its an 80kph zone, people were still SLAMMING on the brakes at 30kph... Its like WTF!!!!! STUPID FOOLS!!!!
That really got me ****ed off....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #32
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Speed cameras

I drive a truck and dog @45 tonne
well the other day I was doing 75 in an 80 zone and knew the camera car was there as I went past it flashed me so being Pi**ed off I turned around and went back and knocked on his door and asked what was going on why was I flashed and was told every 10 or so vehicles that pass get flashed to check the equipment to make sure its working
also the other thing which makes no sense at all is "Every K over is a killer"
what a load of crap
so that means with a gross weight of 45 tonneon the freeway I hit a car at 101 ks they all die but if I hit them at 99 ks they all live
(spin doctors wish they would cure the roads)
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #33
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Well there you have it from the horses mouth - they are freely admitting they did not raise enough revenue due to weather so they need to make up for it.

I'm all for more police on the road - get rid of the camera's and put people in their place. But to suggest they did no speed enforcement as the weather made it too dangerous is a joke.

1) Policing is a dangerous job
2) If the road is more dangerous in the wet (true) then this suggests MORE police presence is required not LESS. Its akin to firefighters being stood down in bushfire season as "its too dangerous".
Old 21-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #34
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
Well there you have it from the horses mouth - they are freely admitting they did not raise enough revenue due to weather so they need to make up for it.

I'm all for more police on the road - get rid of the camera's and put people in their place. But to suggest they did no speed enforcement as the weather made it too dangerous is a joke.

1) Policing is a dangerous job
2) If the road is more dangerous in the wet (true) then this suggests MORE police presence is required not LESS. Its akin to firefighters being stood down in bushfire season as "its too dangerous".
it's due to workplace health and safety. and i'm pretty sure they're referring to actual people on the side of the road manually pulling people over. up here anyway, they have to walk into the middle of the road to point to the offender and pull them over.

you'd be surprised how many idiots drive around with their eyes shut. last tuesday, as i mentioned earlier, dry weather, this guy weaving through traffic and speeding gets pointed at to pull over. copper is standing in the middle of the road. all traffic around the speeding car slow down but this idiot did not see the cop until the very last second. locked them up for a good 5 meters to avoid hitting the cop.

think about that and then ask yourself why would they want to do that type of work in the wet???
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #35
hdj80

I can think of a few reasons why it is scaled down in wet weather.
As mentioned above...WH&S. It's not a war - its a govt department - compliance.

It is not just dangerous for the police involved but other road users on wet roads with reduced vis. Imagine the furor if someone was hurt/killed because of police doing radar in the wet.

As someone else said - it would be easier for all concerned if there was an admission of revenue streams from traffic enforcement. With bad economic times they might give us all more points so they can get more fines out of us before we lose licences :-))
hdj80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #36
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The local police here are having a blitz atm un marked, un attended cars with the camera's mounted on the dash, and theres a couple of bike cops in town as well with radar guns at all the roads coming in and out of town... seems a bit silly really seen less cop cars around town during the easter long weekend...
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post