Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Default Re: Never to buy a new car again

I'll buy a brand new FH before Ford closes in 2016 but I don't have high hopes for it lasting as long as my old EB did if I'm totally honest.
I'm sure it will be a much, much nicer car though.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #32
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
If Aussie manufactured cars go then I will definitely not be buying another new car for as long as I live.
The imports have had it all over the local brands for decades,just many are too blind to see it
Even look at what we were dished up in the 70s from holden and ford, the imports even back then were a better package
Ill give holden their due, they got out there and pushed the export a bit, pushed the marketing a lot better than ford, if they hadn't they would have died well before ford ,then lets not forget the government cash propping program
Half the stuff we buy from ford or holden isn't all made here ...
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #33
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

Classic plastic not rustique. Lol. How much bog is in an old car under that shiny paint? Theres nothing like a new car. Love the advanced technology.
basteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #34
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by basteve View Post
Classic plastic not rustique. Lol. How much bog is in an old car under that shiny paint? Theres nothing like a new car. Love the advanced technology.
I've seen new cars that have been bogged up and painted.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #35
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Newer cars are far safer in crashes, more fuel efficient, and steer and brake far better than older cars.

Old cars are good for a hobby, not for every day driving.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
I don't think anything is designed to fail, but the longevity of the parts is pretty well factored in advance, but they're generally the wear and tear items and just because we have more awareness of how long they may last now doesn't make them any lesser quality a part. We are more focussed on the whole warranty thing as they get longer these days too. Back in ye old days 12 months cya later problems are all yours,. And anyone who believes the simpler vehicles of old were issue free is living in noddy land (well i live there I think I've seen you around)... Of course the electrical stuff is a whole lot scarier these days......stick to XT's

BUT...at least you know if you've screwed your own creation together you know who to blame when it's buggered And SOO much more satisfaction than just walking away with the finance companies keys.
old cars where not issue free, but they certainly had a lot less to go wrong with them and as a rule the older ones where built with a less throw away attitude, for example , modern cars well 99% of them anyway dont have grease nipples on anything............... when it wears out you throw it away, accessorie belts have the set and go tensioners that run for 100000k' then you replace them with the belt, where as the old days you just replaced the v belt and nipped it up from time to time..
Wheel bearings where adjustable and greaseable............ and dirt cheap, you could actually buy components to repair window regulators if they wore out.......... there is/was a lot of good things about the old cars and having smashed up some old cars...... I can honestly say some of them are not the wealkly made dung boxes that people make them all out to be.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #37
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a difference between weakly designed and intelligently designed though. And old car may be solidly designed and not appear to crumple as much as a new car but that's irrelevant, it's the safety of the occupants that's important and a rock solid old car won't crumple smartly like a new one. I wouldn't be surprised if your safer in a Hyundai Getz than say an XY Falcon in an accident.

Modern cars are not designed to fail, they are designed with a design life in mind. I recall reading years ago that the old 4spd Falcon auto was designed for a 250,000K practical life, at 20,000k's/year, that's around 12.5 years, I don't know anyone who has purchased a NEW car and kept it that long, fairly safe to say in most cases a new car will do the job.

Once you've restored you old car to new condition, you've probably got a similar life expectancy in it, but can it be insured reasonably, fuel economy, safety and importantly, spare parts will be in short supply. Wouldn't be fun breaking a fan belt on the family holidays and have no chance of obtaining one from the local garage - guess you could resort to using the wifes stockings thoughe
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #38
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To hell with new cars. Matter of fact, I wouldn't buy an old car cause they aren't safe. So guess I'll just have to walk.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #39
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
old cars where not issue free, but they certainly had a lot less to go wrong with them and as a rule the older ones where built with a less throw away attitude, for example , modern cars well 99% of them anyway dont have grease nipples on anything............... when it wears out you throw it away, accessorie belts have the set and go tensioners that run for 100000k' then you replace them with the belt, where as the old days you just replaced the v belt and nipped it up from time to time..
Wheel bearings where adjustable and greaseable............ and dirt cheap, you could actually buy components to repair window regulators if they wore out.......... there is/was a lot of good things about the old cars and having smashed up some old cars...... I can honestly say some of them are not the wealkly made dung boxes that people make them all out to be.
What a load of crap I use to grease the old cars regularly & the parts will still wear & tear where the new parts these days are Teflon base & just as better than the old type.

The old cars had much problems in their days as the new ones of today.

Truth to be known every thing will wear & tear.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #40
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
There's a difference between weakly designed and intelligently designed though. And old car may be solidly designed and not appear to crumple as much as a new car but that's irrelevant, it's the safety of the occupants that's important and a rock solid old car won't crumple smartly like a new one. I wouldn't be surprised if your safer in a Hyundai Getz than say an XY Falcon in an accident.

Modern cars are not designed to fail, they are designed with a design life in mind. I recall reading years ago that the old 4spd Falcon auto was designed for a 250,000K practical life, at 20,000k's/year, that's around 12.5 years, I don't know anyone who has purchased a NEW car and kept it that long, fairly safe to say in most cases a new car will do the job.

Once you've restored you old car to new condition, you've probably got a similar life expectancy in it, but can it be insured reasonably, fuel economy, safety and importantly, spare parts will be in short supply. Wouldn't be fun breaking a fan belt on the family holidays and have no chance of obtaining one from the local garage - guess you could resort to using the wifes stockings thoughe
When I said "solidly" built I was more referring to the components than the actual body of the vehicle itself. It goes without saying that newer cars are safer cars.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #41
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Depends on second hand ? The wimps have been weeded out after a few years
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #42
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive a 2013 Focus Sport.

It drives much better than my ex cars

1964 Falcon XM
1972 Cortina TC

It is also ANCAP 5 star safety.

Doesn't stop me in saying the Falcon and Cortina are WAY cooler. Styling is what keeps old cars going. I spent dollars on them, just like you do with new cars.

I will buy another one car again but as an everyday car I'd never drive them.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #43
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
I find it ironic this thread is about not buying new when there is a whole other subject on factory closures.
But this IS the problem! I have always said that if Ford could produce a long lasting Falcon like the good old days surely ther would be a market for them but they wont do that because then the customer only buys a new car every 20 years!

Mind you the FG is apparently a good car engine, trans and diff wise unlike BA-BF. Its just the plastic crap that turns to ****.

I'm sticking with two EFs on gas....Cheap to run, oil change and plugs .5hr every 10,000k's, easy to fix most things and brake parts etc are cheap as chips too.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
What a load of crap I use to grease the old cars regularly & the parts will still wear & tear where the new parts these days are Teflon base & just as better than the old type.

Well agree to disagree , that hasn't been my experience, I would have another x series in a flash .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #45
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id rather drive a new or newer car any day over an old car there for weekends. New cars are safer way more comfortable good heat and a/c. Way more economical Don't get me wrong i love the oldies and have had an xe esp as a daily for over a year then got a late model car and its night and day. Also if you have a decent scanner and can use it new cars are easy as to work on and diagnose with a scanner i love late model cars and always will over some old bucket
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #46
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

if you have the time to spare, may I suggest you look up (use google) "the Light Bulb Conspiracy:Planned Obsolescence"

it certainly suggests that companies build in 'failure'. see what you think. I found the example with modern printers to be very true, from my own experiences
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #47
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love looking at old cars. Driving them & keeping the rust at bay.... well thats entirely another matter.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #48
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
I love looking at old cars. Driving them & keeping the rust at bay.... well thats entirely another matter.
Buy a Range Rover or Land Rover then....ALL aluminium!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #49
MrXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
nobody said they were weakly made dung boxes because they wern't. they were built strong and there is the problem. cars these days are made to absorb the impact protecting the driver from G force. the old were not hence they are not safe. its the G's that kill you as well as the impact damage. every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. crumple zones are in place to limit the exposure of the reaction on the driver and ocupants. old are fun and look very sexy but new is safe.
When a car gets past you, you just want to go after them, you want to chase them down, you want to pass them. It's primal. But then there's another side to it, where you just completely forget about all the other cars on the track, and you feel like you're in another world. It's just you, at one with the road and the car.

Eric Bana
MrXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #50
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post

Yes but replacing points is a lot simpler than an ECU. A lot cheaper too.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #51
jamies

I love the classic older cars, I've had plenty and a couple of show cars. Yes they are cheaper for parts and easy to work on.. But they have there issues, overheating in traffic in a 35 degree day one eye on the temp gauge watching the needle. They drive like an old barge no brakes,the clunking top loader ooooh love it.. But weekend cars for me only these days. Then there's the new cars bang get in and drive, driving an older car in torrential rain in Qld no thanks, You don't feel safe at all.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The difference for me is that today's vehicles offer a choice to consumers as to whether they want
cheap, disposable $20,000 cars or more substantial SUVs and Trucks. Thanks to that competition
and reduced tariffs, cars today are basically the same price as predecessors were 15 years ago.
That makes near recent examples suitable as project cars, affordability has never been better.

I had my fill of classic Falcons when I was much younger and could get V8 Falcons for very reasonable prices,
today I wouldn't say thank you to $20K and $30K examples of cars i had 30 years ago..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #53
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I love the classic older cars, I've had plenty and a couple of show cars. Yes they are cheaper for parts and easy to work on.. But they have there issues, overheating in traffic in a 35 degree day one eye on the temp gauge watching the needle. They drive like an old barge no brakes,the clunking top loader ooooh love it.. But weekend cars for me only these days. Then there's the new cars bang get in and drive, driving an older car in torrential rain in Qld no thanks, You don't feel safe at all.
Common misconception. These old cars were fine in heat "in their day". The reason they overheat and carry on now is due to a combination of poor maintenance, and/or modifications from standard. Put the cars' cooling system and engine back to how it was out of the factory and it will be fine.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #54
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Buy a Range Rover or Land Rover then....ALL aluminium!
Yeah, cause old Range Rovers are about the most reliable car on the road.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #55
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Range Rovers and Land Rovers didnt rust that must due to the massive lubrication system fitted to the chassis, all the mechanical parts leaking like a sieve!!!
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #56
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Learn your lesson and stop buying new cars. Wasted money and for society's sake you're better off putting your cash in the hands of someone like you and me who wont sit it inert in a bank for 80 years. Not that that would be your incentive, the real incentive is not getting blatantly ripped off with over 5k depreciation per year on an asset..

I'll boast that I don't require such an experience to be turned off new cars. I've never bought one due to already being aware it's probably the stupidest thing you could buy from a financial perspective, then there's the money factor I'd have to take a loan if I wanted one right now, even more stupid. Instead save for a house move out of it a year later to dodge cgt and then you can establish milking the payg working class until you accumilate 4-10 investment properties. Then buy your new car.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #57
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR View Post
Learn your lesson and stop buying new cars. Wasted money and for society's sake you're better off putting your cash in the hands of someone like you and me who wont sit it inert in a bank for 80 years. Not that that would be your incentive, the real incentive is not getting blatantly ripped off with over 5k depreciation per year on an asset..

I'll boast that I don't require such an experience to be turned off new cars. I've never bought one due to already being aware it's probably the stupidest thing you could buy from a financial perspective, then there's the money factor I'd have to take a loan if I wanted one right now, even more stupid. Instead save for a house move out of it a year later to dodge cgt and then you can establish milking the payg working class until you accumilate 4-10 investment properties. Then buy your new car.
Yeah because new car buyers buy new cars in the hope they will appreciate in value and to make money on them.

I was never going to buy a new car, yet in 2.5 years i have purchased 2 new cars and not one regret, yeah sure i lost money on them and also on mods aswell. But i never purchased for financial gain, i purchased because i enjoy the cars i purchased.

Stupid from a financial point of view but your a long time dead.
6 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #58
jamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
Common misconception. These old cars were fine in heat "in their day". The reason they overheat and carry on now is due to a combination of poor maintenance, and/or modifications from standard. Put the cars' cooling system and engine back to how it was out of the factory and it will be fine.
This is true but in the 70's and 80's there was a lot less traffic... Older cars in peak hour traffic on the M1 bumper to bumper standing still.. No thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #59
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

You will get bored one day...

nek minnit new car in garage!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #60
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
This is true but in the 70's and 80's there was a lot less traffic... Older cars in peak hour traffic on the M1 bumper to bumper standing still.. No thanks.
Yep, Clevos always had overheating issues, theres no way a stock one would cope in 35+ degree heat stuck in traffic with the A/C blasting.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post