Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #31
MONSOON

the Americans certainly lost the plot when it came to rear drive sedans, but why do they have to take it out on us?
Old 27-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #32
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Another FWD V6 just what the world needs.

Could some tell Mullaly that, what the hell is the yanks obsession with FWD, everything has to FWD jesus, do we really need 3 billion FWD v6 sedans like the US, stick with RWD.

It was quite possibly the only time ive heard the words great and Taurus in the same sentance, the current Taurus/500 is pretty poor and follows up the awful fleet fodder taurus that we got here.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #33
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

If Falcon goes front wheel drive it will be like the Impala in the US. I think the last rear wheel drive Impala with the 5.7L LT1 engine ended in 1996. Since then they have been front wheel drive.

I find it surprising that Falcon will go front wheel drive with the expectation to sell more cars. For a front wheel drive car we already have Mondeo (interior is large and a match for the Falc) and the Japanese have many models in this segment. No way will public trust a large Ford to be front wheel drive.

I might be shot here, but maybe demand is not enough for a household main stream car in Australia to be a 6 cylinder rear drive plateform. I say for the future make a dual plateform with Falcon to stay rear wheel drive and to sell only performance premium end, maybe XR models/FPV's and raise the price and make it a premium product instead of a jumped up base model. Rival the Falcon to be a target to the 300C.
Old 27-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #34
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
If Falcon goes front wheel drive it will be like the Impala in the US. I think the last rear wheel drive Impala with the 5.7L LT1 engine ended in 1996. Since then they have been front wheel drive.
The Impala is the exact reason Ford US still sell the Crown Vic, its absolute heaven next to the abomination the Impala is.
Old 27-08-2008, 02:52 AM   #35
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoni
If the packaging of a FWD is lighter and so much better howsabout we stick that in the back and make it a mid mounted engine and make the front end the boot ala Porsche like.

We get the benefits of weight savings as well as the benefit of more weight over the driven wheels, which translates to better traction.
I was thinking the same thing actually. Although mounting the engine in the rear is not the norm it does have some very good benefits ie, cheaper repair costs for frontal accidents (the most common form of accident I'm assuming), less weight, less noise for the driver and passenger, more safe in a rear ender as the rear seats in a lot of cars are empty most of the time..

And a 3.5/3.7 V6 would be a whole lot easier to mount east west in the rear.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 03:13 AM   #36
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A FWD Falcon ? Falcon ridiculous
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 03:52 AM   #37
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They may as bloody well mount the engine in a trailer hanging off the back. :p
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #38
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they want to build a FWD large car, then build the Mondeo here or a Taurus.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #39
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndec
Just did a bit of research.. From our friends at Ford USA... May I present to you the 2007 model Crown Victoria, their latest and greatest large RWD sedan. Get the vomit bags ready!!!!!!

If a Fairlane is discontinued then we would never get the Crown Victoria. The Crown Victoria's design is very old, the current model dates back to 1998 without any facelift and is still in production in North America for fleet sales only. Although it is exported to the Middle East. It is in my opinion it's the last traditional Yank Tank, I like the look of them and I admired looking at them while over in the U.S. but it's not something people would buy these days.

Last edited by TC200six; 27-08-2008 at 09:14 AM.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #40
Plugg3r
Bogan w/ Wheels?

Ok, the only change I would condone would be a AWD Falcon.. FWD.. No.. What can you do with it? Mod it to put out 360frontwk and be spinning on the spot until 4th?

Come on if V8 and F6 enthusiasts wont fuel economy they would of bought a Prius.
Old 27-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #41
birdman941
Boss equipped 2004 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSOON
the Americans certainly lost the plot when it came to rear drive sedans, but why do they have to take it out on us?
We WANT the Falcon here, but Ford isn't listening.
Go to any of the US boards and inquire.
Post pics.
The Crown Vic (Panther platform) has been around since 1979.
Lots of improvements since then, but 30 years is more than enough.
Either they bring the Falcon here or I am going there.
404 HP
387 lb./ft. torque NA

301Kw/525 Nm. at the wheels
Need parts from the States? PM me
Happy to help
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #42
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Hmmmm

Quote:
Mulally said his company did not have a preference whether the replacement car would be front or rear-wheel drive. Indeed, he made it clear the choice would be "driven by what the customer wants and values, especially the fuel economy and performance."
Well then the douche will discover a majority of the world want RWD!
WHY WON'T FORD US TAKE OFF THEIR BLIND FOLDS!?
Old 27-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #43
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

AWD = YES
FWD = NOOO
This isn't media speculation though, they quoted the FMC President and CEO saying Falon would continue for the foreseeable future, but RWD's future was in doubt. IF RWD goes, I suspect we'll get a rebadged Mondeo as Falcon... :(
Jondalar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #44
Carby

Well I think we just have to accept that it is the end of an era. The way fuel prices are heading we won't be driving V8's or 6's anymore - we will be struggling to keep a small econobox on the road. so there will be no need for large cars. I'm sure the authorities will throw higher carbon taxes at V8's and 6 's and councils will levy higher parking fees on large engined cars - just to ensure the public on what is an acceptable mode of transport.

Welcome to the 21st century....................
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #45
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Hmmmm

Well then the douche will discover a majority of the world want RWD!
WHY WON'T FORD US TAKE OFF THEIR BLIND FOLDS!?
While this may be true the simple fact is sales do not reflect this.
The biggest FWD culprit, Toyota is still selling bucket loads of cars.
You'll find a lot of people (barring enthusiasts) couldn't care which wheels drive.

I myself am a RWD fan and would hate to see the Falcon as FWD.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #46
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Falcon will not be AWD (IMO) Ford/media will probably test public views on FWD, unfortunately as enthusiasts we are in the minority (wanting to keep RWD - fleets and most of the public dont care)

Ford will not build a FWD Falcon (I doubt there would be a business case for it considering they can import the Mondeo - which has good reviews globally)

If Ford do persist with FWD, then the Mondeo = Falcon, Ford Oz will build the Focus and hope they can continue to develop a business case for the Territory (they will need more sales) All this is just my opinion

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #47
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Take a close look at Mulally's comments in the article. He talks about the future of the large car platform in terms of Falcon, Taurus and Crown Vic.

6 months ago they were talking about how Falcon would work off the same platform as the Mustang.

It's a big yes to FWD from Dearborn then.
Old 27-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #48
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Just spotted a well built woman on the road to Broadmedows, looked like an opera singer or something.

Very good indeed....may have gone over a few heads!!!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #49
pommy b
Banned

makes you wonder how BMW sell so may cars
pommy b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #50
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
AWD = YES
FWD = NOOO
This isn't media speculation though, they quoted the FMC President and CEO saying Falon would continue for the foreseeable future, but RWD's future was in doubt. IF RWD goes, I suspect we'll get a rebadged Mondeo as Falcon... :(
I think the issue is do we make an all wheel drive car (Territory underpinnings thats based of rear drive) or an all wheel drive like the Mazda MPS thats essentially a front driver with power sending to the rear only on demand.
Old 27-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #51
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford US is considering what to do with the Crown Vic
It is a Fleet only car now (Taxi and Govt)

I drove a 500 AWD in Hawaii - it was an excellent car - and IIRC the replacement for the Taurus.

Ford US are either going to dev a new Au Falcon based RWD to replace the CV, or merge 500 and CV into one car.

The 500 is FWD/AWD, the Au Falc is RWD

All Mallaly is saying is they have not decided yet.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #52
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

i hope so...or Ford can kiss my money goodbye...BF/FG might be the last Ford i ever buy

I might be one of those guys in 40 years that owns a tonne of B-series and says that they dont build them like they used to lol
Old 27-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #53
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As somebody else has already said, I think we as Ford fans may be witnessing the end of an era over the next couple of years. Its a scary situation.....we as Ford fans loathe the idea of a FWD Falcon. We want our exciting cars that have passion and soul. We want our V8s, our F6s and our RWD, but economic realities and various strategic blunders by Ford along the way now means that the business case for continuing the Falcon as we know it now sits on a knife-edge. Some may say the Falcon is already a dead man walking.

Its a damned tough market out there for the Falcon. One month ago I decided to flick the old faithful ED XR6 which has served as a second car in the household for many years. Did I buy another Falcon? Nup. I bought a Subaru XT Forester. Unless I'm towing upwards of 1,200kgs every second day, the Subi will do everything the Falcon will do, and some. Its got great visibility, good ground clearance, decent handling, good performance from the turbo four, everything that opens & shuts inside, roomy intererior space, comfortable ride, sips less fuel, and also has light duty 4WD abilities which will be good for the odd ski and camping trips that we do. Why on earth would I buy a Falcon? Maybe a tad harsh, and yes, this scenario for a car purchase is only my experience and may not be shared by others, but I can't help but think that many others are shunning the big Aussie 6 for similar reasons.

Whilst I'm fortunate that our other car is a BF Series 1 GT, I have this awful feeling that it may be the last Falcon V8 I'll ever own. I hope not, but geez, it's not looking good for when I might think of flicking the BF in 5 or so years time.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #54
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a fwd drive Falcon won't be able to tow 2300kg. There goes more sales ! Don't they ever listento consumers ??? no wonder they are in deep doggy do do !!
Old 27-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #55
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Just spotted a well built woman on the road to Broadmedows, looked like an opera singer or something.
nah..that's my mum deliverying my lunch as I'm too busy working on T6, LPG V6, V6 Turbo, V8, Terry upgrade, Focus production, pitching for more work on RWD program......how come the media didn't mention how bloody busy I am at the moment....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #56
FPVmaniac
Starter Motor

Exclamation 2013 Ford Falcon to go FWD or AWD!!!

Wow!!! Talk about a big move!!! what will happen to V8 Supercars!? Will it become V6 FWD Supercars? Maybe the Toyota Aurion will get in on the action?

2013 Ford Falcon is likely to be Front Wheel Drive (FWD) or All Wheel Drive (AWD)

Any ideas behind this big move guys?
FPVmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #57
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

If it does happen, Holden will follow suit as well no doubt.
And whats it got to do with the V8 supercars? its not like they have anything in common with the road cars (except for the looks) anyway.

Last edited by XplosiveR6; 27-08-2008 at 04:55 PM.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #58
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CEO and President of Ford Motor Company Alan Mulally confirmed on a recent visit to Australia that the drive architecture for future generation Falcons has not been confirmed and they are discussing FWD or AWD as a possible replacement to the current RWD platform.

I dont think anythings in concrete right now, we'll just have to wait and see but it wouldnt surprise me
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #59
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FWD, cant tow heavy weights with ease, FWD with Hi KW is no fun. But other then that, what advatages are ther to RWD to the average buyer.
Lets face it V8 and turbos are minority of the sales, and most people who tow these days use a 4wd.
Majority of new falcons are sold to fleets, reps, taxis, rentals and average mum n dads who really wouldnt know or care if its front rear 4wd or maglev. Ford are here to sell cars at a profit, not to make legends and rev heads wet dreams come true.
Put a v6 in a Mondeo and you got a damned attractive bit of kit really.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #60
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Bit premature I think. Read the article:

"the drive architecture for future generation Falcons has not been confirmed and they are discussing FWD or AWD as a possible replacement to the current RWD platform

[Edit]ea90gl beat me to it.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post