Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #31
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Filthy Cars For Sale

I have noticed this to be a sales tactic by people who have something to hide. you will get a buyer who thinks, i cant wait to get this home and clean it all up they buy it give it a go over, then you notice of the things wrong with it. dirt hides alot of scratches, faded paint, oil leaks you get my drift.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #32
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Lot of people pay $150 or so to a detailer to come around and wash and polish thier crapbucket.
I spent about $100 on cleaning products and managed to get my car back to a mirror finish (albiet with a few noticable scratches that were deep) and it was great!

Then after washing it every weekend, cleaning the inside every second weekend, getting annoyed that after 3 days it looks the same as it was before I washed it, spending 3 hours having to wash it, dry it and polish it again after a bird pooped right in the door sill, all over the handle etc.... you just sort of give up!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #33
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

There is a big difference though between a car not being washed, and someone being too lazy to take the rubbish out of their car.

If I viewed a car and it wasn't washed, to me that is not what is important. As others have said, service history, good tyres, milage etc is more important.

You can look past the dirt, especially if it was a car I was looking for and the price was right.
Old 29-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #34
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I know what you mean about water spots. The engine was covered in them and the alloy parts of the engine and the cover of the computer on the passenger side were all covered in white corrosion spots. Don't know what they used to wash it with...some people just don't take a little care...
Yea. The most annoying part was they delayed it a whole day to detail it, yet I couldn't find where they spent a day detailing. Maybe the car next to it...
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #35
RiTz

At work we have a 1hr quota time on Internet usage so I spend most of my day looking at the carsales website cuz that doesn't eat into the usage... It never ceases to amaze me the condition of a lot of the cars.. And if your selling something in the range of $30K + a decent pic would help your cause too!! 

Jo
RiTz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #36
myxr6
Banned

A lot of cars on Carsales are the same.I don't get that if you are taking pics to sell it , why not at least vacuum it and not show it full of rubbish.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #37
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Just pay someone else to detail it then tack the cost onto the asking price....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
There is a big difference though between a car not being washed, and someone being too lazy to take the rubbish out of their car.

If I viewed a car and it wasn't washed, to me that is not what is important. As others have said, service history, good tyres, milage etc is more important.

You can look past the dirt, especially if it was a car I was looking for and the price was right.

Good point Colleen. Still it doesn't take much to throw a hose over it prior to a potential buyer coming. That's the way I look at it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #39
MAD
Petro-sexual

One good thing about dirty cars, is you can buy a decent one (if you look beyond the dirt), make it shiny then sell it for profit.
People like to buy shiny things.
Old 30-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #40
Mitch_

i purchased a car privatly about 4 weeks ago and i don't think he'd cleaned it for quite some time... took a mate a day to bring all the water stains off the car! and he wondered why noone was willing to pay his asking price!
i low balled him hardcore and took him about a week and a half to accept my offer...
Mitch_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #41
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
There seems to be some obcession with cleaning engine bays when a car is for sale... you only need to clean it to pass roadworthy! (not to mention rusty looking engines then put some people off)

Seriously though, id rather the car was maintained well, with a clean interior and washed. If the engine a dirty engine bay it wouldnt bother me.
it bothers me. means they only care about what you see. what else are they cutting corners on?

and to clean it it will take 5 mins, do it once do it right
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #42
Link
Ford Nut

I bought my last car (TX5 Ghia) from a guy who was selling on behalf of his brother. Not being his car is was pretty dirty when i got there, interior was clean and tidy tho. I used it as a bargaining tool and got it for a great price back when i bought it 5 years ago

Took her home and gave her a wash, clay bar (clay bar was black by the end of it all :S), polish and it looked brand new!!! I always got comments on how new it looked, some people didnt believe me that it was made in 1993 as it was so shiny and nice lol

I have always washed and polished my cars regularly, so there isnt much to do pre sale. I am happy to show off how well i have kept the car and always got comments from the new owners about it being in excellent condition. A bit of pride goes a long way in getting the price you want too
Link is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #43
Till_Lind
E-series fan

Doesn't surprise me, my housemate is a dirty white trash bastard, I'm guessing these folks were too.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #44
munkky
turbo mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Well my G6ET was held up a day because it needed "detailing". When I got home, I detailed it properly. The engine was covered in water marks, especially under the bonnet lid (duh how did water get up there?). Dusted the interior, etc.

I wanted to go back and ask, who did it so I could show them...but at the same time I had just met BOOST.
haha same lol my dads fg gt 30,000ks and the bonnet never got opened. First thing i did was i drew some male apendigas on the rocker covers then spent about 2h cleening it

2008 FG G6E TURBO
AND YES IT HAS A LSD
ORSM F.C.
munkky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #45
matttyley
Pickle!

Personally, I look for cars which are dirty, but always have an eye for seeing through the dirt. Generally I find these owners don't value their cars quite so highly, or can more easily be beaten down on price.

I've been lucky and always managed to sell the cars a couple of years down the track for around $1000 more than I paid for them (not including general wear and tear costs), just because they were clean and took decent pics for the online ads.
matttyley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #46
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people actually drive their cars very regularly rather than just on weekends and don't just wander about the inner suburbs.
As they tend to be dirty about 30 seconds after they are washed, mine are cleaned about once or twice a month except in wet season when they are never washed except by rain almost every day.

Never judge a book by its cover.

Realistically which car do you want?

a) Immaculate, shiny, perfect interior, never serviced, never fluid checked and old cheapest tyres possible (but elegantly blacked), always driven from dead cold on short runs of only 2 or 3 km at a time?

b) Dirty, stone chipped, crap on the floors but mechanically maintained by professionals on a regular basis, best fluids, best tyres & suspension components and warmed before mostly long runs?

I suppose it comes down to whether your main reason for acquiring it is to drive it or be seen standing next to it.........
I agree with most of what you suggest but warming a modern car up is unnecessary and achieves nothing other than wasting fuel
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #47
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO it should be common courtesy to keep a car reasonably clean. I come from a family of clean freaks. All of our cars are typically spotless inside and out, but I wouldn't expect every car I buy to be like that.

Honestly I would be kind of turned off if the car hadn't at least been cleaned inside. I hate being in cars with rubbish and crap on the floor. It would be like looking for a new house. I would be turned off if the lawn hadn't been mowed, washing lying around everywhere, dirty dishes etc.

With a car I don't care so much if it's not squeaky clean, but it should be presentable to a potential buyer. It might run like a dream, but just like if someone turns to a job interview unshaved, wearing thongs, a singlet and stubbies it's the first impressions that count.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #48
glavas

just spend a bit more and buy new. ive bought 4 new cars from my dealer and he has them looking mint when i come to pick them up.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #49
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
just spend a bit more and buy new. ive bought 4 new cars from my dealer and he has them looking mint when i come to pick them up.
But not everyone has the luxury of being able to buy new... there's a big difference between buying an AU Falcon for 8k and a new one for 34k...
Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #50
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same issue when i was looking for my Au Xr6 i couldn't belive that some people expected a car in the condition that some of them were in finding a good one takes some time and patience
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #51
Brute 33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well after much looking around at some complete piles of crap in AU's I found a really well maintained EF sedan 2nd owner regularly serviced and clean ....wow ....and with books and rego till end on Nov...so all good in the end . Just still amazed at how some people think that what they own is "MINT"....and the inflated prices they expect to get..... ...

So the young bloke now has a decent set of wheels to get around in and now the customising to his tastes begin ...
Brute 33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #52
V8 6I

Some years ago I was trading a 93 EB Fairmont in black,I was talking to the Jr of the yard whom ask the Senior for a valuation on my car,at a distance he said 3 K,I said no way,so he had a closer look and noticed how clean it was,He took it for a drive and to make this short I got 6K.Next day as I was picking the new ride up Jr noticed it was even cleaner and ask if I had washed it? I did, they put it straight in their yard and put $8990 on it.I was told people only traded junk but because mine was so clean and nice I got double.
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post