Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 26-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #31
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: vicious dingoes

Man it must be great being a perfect parent and knowing where your kids are and what they're doing every single second of every single day even when your back is turned
Old 26-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #32
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
How sad it is that the dingos got shot, while the parents of an un-attended 3yr old dont even get a slap on the wrist???

What the hell is wrong with this country?
What really **** me off is that the media have allowed the assumption that the girl was innocent and it was an unprovoked attack...which it was not...

It's not about being a perfect parent - the location is renowned for Dingo's (who've been fed by humans)...if you didn't keep an eye on your kids there...I would seriously think there was something wrong with you...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 26-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #33
The Monty
Just slidin'

Should change the title of the thread too "Irresponsible parents allow child to be attacked by Dingo and no responsibility is taken" But then it wouldnt grab your attention as its all too common.
Old 26-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #34
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see it like this, If you let your kids play in water in north Queensland or NT then you can expect they may be attacked by a salt water crocodile. Taking your kids to a known dingo habitat is also looking for trouble. We can't kill everything off that may harm us or our children.
Old 26-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #35
My32Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Or your baby if you happen to visit Ayers Rock

Wondered how long it would take!
Old 26-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #36
dayboroxc
Bertram28

I go to Fraser regularly, all the locals and regular visitors treat the animals with the respect deserved for a wild animal. I wont walk alone at night on the island, and watched my kids like a hawke when they were small. You cant turn everthing into a safe sterile environment.
Old 26-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #37
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
We can't kill everything off that may harm us or our children.
Exactly.

Otherwise we would ban the following:

Fire
Cars
Toys
Smoking
Drinking
Interaction with other people
Any form of utensil
Certain fabrics
Peanuts

etc. etc.

The problem with people is that we believe we have the right to control absolutely everything in our environment all of the time...

If you're going to stick your hand in a piranha tank, then expect to be chowed on...I don't need a sign. It's called common sense...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 26-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #38
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you're going to stick your hand in a piranha tank, then expect to be chowed on...I don't need a sign. It's called common sense...
Wash your mouth out!!! Common sence!!! its over rated...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 26-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #39
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

All the people that have fed them or left food that is easy to get to are to blame also.

NEVER EVER FEED WILD ANIMALS.
Old 26-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #40
My32Doors

If a dingo sees something around its size or smaller (especially when there's 2) it will want to kill and eat it. Simple as that!
Old 26-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #41
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Wash your mouth out!!! Common sence!!! its over rated...
Isn't it called rare sense nowadays?

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 27-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #42
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

As a friend from work put it today: "I was up there 2 days ago, and if they somehow missed the 1500 signs on the island warning them about the dingoes, not to mention the extra ones on the barge over, they're idiots"
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 27-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #43
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
How sad it is that the dingos got shot, while the parents of an un-attended 3yr old dont even get a slap on the wrist???

What the hell is wrong with this country?
Don't worry .... the parents will feel absolutely mortified and will be hung and quartered from forums and the media I am sure, if that makes you happier.

I dont know the full story and those that were actually there would no doubt be scratching their heads including the parents who would be blaming themselves. As a parent myself ( & grandparent) it does only take literally seconds for a 3 year olds to disappear from sight, especially when you think you know where they are and are quietly going about there business close by. I have done it myself, sometimes with a bit of a heart skip thinking they were at your feet and suddenly not there.

Yes the dingoes need to be watched and yes people do leave stuff out but I have also seen a dingo get into a tent and run away with a bag stuffed with heavy food. If a dingo is pinpointed as a problem it does need to be removed unfortunately if there is any chance that it could be a threat in the future.

Those who are ready to set the parents alight on this ...... I just hope as parents you are perfect because if you aren't ..... there is a multitude of people out there ready to judge.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #44
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Isn't it called rare sense nowadays?
More like 'mythical sense'...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 27-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #45
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Don't worry .... the parents will feel absolutely mortified and will be hung and quartered from forums and the media I am sure, if that makes you happier.

I dont know the full story and those that were actually there would no doubt be scratching their heads including the parents who would be blaming themselves. As a parent myself ( & grandparent) it does only take literally seconds for a 3 year olds to disappear from sight, especially when you think you know where they are and are quietly going about there business close by. I have done it myself, sometimes with a bit of a heart skip thinking they were at your feet and suddenly not there.

Yes the dingoes need to be watched and yes people do leave stuff out but I have also seen a dingo get into a tent and run away with a bag stuffed with heavy food. If a dingo is pinpointed as a problem it does need to be removed unfortunately if there is any chance that it could be a threat in the future.

Those who are ready to set the parents alight on this ...... I just hope as parents you are perfect because if you aren't ..... there is a multitude of people out there ready to judge.
Spot on....
Old 27-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #46
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Sorry, I don't buy it. If you're in a place that requires extra vigilance, you MUST not let a small child leave your side at ANY time.
Old 27-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #47
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If a dingo is pinpointed as a problem it does need to be removed unfortunately if there is any chance that it could be a threat in the future.

All dingos will kill small things when hungry. So will any salty, shark, snake, etc. So should we just kill them all? More kids get run over in their own driveways from 4wd's.
Old 27-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #48
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Simple-ban all 4WD's-lol
Old 27-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #49
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
All dingos will kill small things when hungry. So will any salty, shark, snake, etc. So should we just kill them all? More kids get run over in their own driveways from 4wd's.
Not all no ..... ones that have shown to be dangerous ... yep. Especially when the ranger has stated that the dingo was over 24 kilos which is heavy for a dingo and was not hungry. More territorial ..... but you would have known this?

Kids get run over by 4x4's in driveways? What has that got to do with it? Parents also get charged in these instances which is a very sorry thing for someone to go through but dont see how this where the similarities are.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #50
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There used to be a t-shirt showing a dingo riding a harley, with uluru / the rock in the background.

The caption - 'I'm splitting - had a gutful of the babes around here'
Old 27-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #51
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not all no ..... ones that have shown to be dangerous ... yep. Especially when the ranger has stated that the dingo was over 24 kilos which is heavy for a dingo and was not hungry. More territorial ..... but you would have known this?
All animals have the potential to be territorial, hell my dog goes ballistic if he even hears something in our yard. He's trained to understand that he's not allowed to attack anyone who comes in my house though, a dingo is not.

I'll be honest, I like animals, and I really hate to see this happen regardless of whether they are territorial. We as a society seem to kill anything that behaves as a normal wild animal.

I don't condone animals attacking children, or anyone for that matter, but the dog is behaving as it would in it's natural habitat.

I get that these animals have shown to be dangerous, but given that Fraser is a World Heritage area, and the dingo's are protected species, it seems that killing them because they're behaving as a 'wild animal' would behave ordinarily, seems a little contradictory to the scheme of things.

If Fraser is such an important place, as we're all led to believe, it seems that as humans, we're in the wrong, and Fraser should be a no-go zone...

Elsewhere in Australia, they're poisoned with 1080 as they're seen to be a pest, because they're doing what wild animals do...hunt...

We're going to end up with nothing left if we just keep killing it all when it behaves in it's normal fashion. We take their habitat because we want somewhere to live, and animals pay the ultimate price. We want new houses, the animals have to pay the price.

In an environment such as this, I don't think there's an option for anyone to not take responsibility for what happens on the island. If this country is serious about conservation, perhaps the tourist dollar should be at the back of our mind, not the front.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 27-04-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 27-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #52
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
.... I like animals ......

me too, especially the crispy bits.
Old 28-04-2011, 12:35 AM   #53
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

my mind is entirely with you sezzy.. good post
Old 28-04-2011, 02:57 AM   #54
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
...but given that Fraser is a World Heritage area, and the dingo's are protected species, it seems that killing them because they're behaving as a 'wild animal' would behave ordinarily, seems a little contradictory to the scheme of things.

If Fraser is such an important place, as we're all led to believe, it seems that as humans, we're in the wrong, and Fraser should be a no-go zone...

Elsewhere in Australia, they're poisoned with 1080 as they're seen to be a pest, because they're doing what wild animals do...hunt...

We're going to end up with nothing left if we just keep killing it all when it behaves in it's normal fashion. We take their habitat because we want somewhere to live, and animals pay the ultimate price. We want new houses, the animals have to pay the price.

In an environment such as this, I don't think there's an option for anyone to not take responsibility for what happens on the island. If this country is serious about conservation, perhaps the tourist dollar should be at the back of our mind, not the front.
They're only protected in National Parks in Qld (yes, Fraser qualifies), everywhere else in Qld they are a declared pest. In fact land owners have a legal responsibility to control them. Last I heard anyway. Which is pretty much the same for most states (NSW is similar to Qld; Vic was similar, but now protected species; SA the dingo fence denotes an area where one side they can be hunted, the other they arent; ACT protects them but permits can be obtained; NT they are protected, but you can still kill them to protect life including livestock.)

2nd, they arent going to kill every Dingo on Fraser Island, just the ones they identify as 'conditioned' to attack people. I dont know the number on the Island, but one number given in 2008/9 was between 100 and 120 animals, and more than half were malnourished. Later reports estimate that number to be an underestimate as rangers had tagged over 200 by the end of last year (that will include the earlier ones too).

Whatever the number is, if 100 is too many for the island to sustain, then something must be done to prevent the animals suffering. Have you ever seen 1080 at work? Id prefer a .22-250 or .243, its much quicker and definitely much more humane. But hey, you dont have to watch with the 1080.
Old 28-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #55
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
They're only protected in National Parks in Qld (yes, Fraser qualifies), everywhere else in Qld they are a declared pest. In fact land owners have a legal responsibility to control them. Last I heard anyway. Which is pretty much the same for most states (NSW is similar to Qld; Vic was similar, but now protected species; SA the dingo fence denotes an area where one side they can be hunted, the other they arent; ACT protects them but permits can be obtained; NT they are protected, but you can still kill them to protect life including livestock.)

2nd, they arent going to kill every Dingo on Fraser Island, just the ones they identify as 'conditioned' to attack people. I dont know the number on the Island, but one number given in 2008/9 was between 100 and 120 animals, and more than half were malnourished. Later reports estimate that number to be an underestimate as rangers had tagged over 200 by the end of last year (that will include the earlier ones too).

Whatever the number is, if 100 is too many for the island to sustain, then something must be done to prevent the animals suffering. Have you ever seen 1080 at work? Id prefer a .22-250 or .243, its much quicker and definitely much more humane. But hey, you dont have to watch with the 1080.
You kind of missed my point, we as humans continue to destroy the natural habitats of those around us. Why should they kill anything 'conditioned' to attack people? We walk in there, and expect it's ours...it's not ours, it's their home - I'll go back to my original analogy - If a stranger walked into your home and did the same thing...what would you do?

In 1995 there had been no 'official reports' of dingo attacks. 2001 a young boy was found dead. As a result of this more than 120 dingoes were destroyed (I kind of doubt these were all 'conditioned' to attack). 2010 there were more reports of dingoes biting people (all in March, and three in total).

It's not about the island sustaining them...it's about people being the root cause of why they're getting destroyed.

I've seen 1080 at work, I've also seen the .22,.222,.308, etc at work, to be honest, I don't like any of them, and I certainly don't believe that they should be put down because we went to THEIR habitat...

The dingo's on Fraser are (to the best of my knowledge), the most purebred of all the dingos, hence why they're protected. Knowing this, and that all dogs are territorial, WHY would anyone in their right mind, allow tourists over there? To top that off, you have people feeding dingoes and provoking them to get the perfect photo opportunity...it's a recipe for disaster, to which the only answer appears to be...kill them when they behave like the wild animal they are, because the tourist dollar is worth much more than a bunch of dogs...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 28-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #56
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Ban humans from Fraser. Problem solvered!
Old 28-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #57
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Kids get run over by 4x4's in driveways? What has that got to do with it? .

Well more kids are killed in their driveways than all animal attacks put together was the point.
Old 28-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #58
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT
i think dingoes are beautiful creatures, when i buy land, so long as i have enough back yard space for the legal enclosure, im looking to adopt a pup.

The dingo is the original dog. It is where EVERY other breed of dog has stemmed from. They are not domesticated and should be treated with caution. shame on the parents for the cause of another pointless dingo death.

The purebred number of dingo is really dwindling, this is definately a shame.
When I was a kid we had a dingo crossed with something else, It looked mainly like a dingo but with slightly longer fur. It was one of the smartest dogs I have ever seen, firstly as kids it would protect us and knew if we were in trouble. We lived by the ocean but the dog never ever swam in the ocean, only on the hottest of days it would wade through this swampy stagnent pond to cool down. Anyway one day I was with my brother and sister and the three kids nextdoor, they owned a sydney silky dog and we were all walking on the rocks beside the ocean. The next thing a wave washed up onto the rocks and washed the sydney silkey into the ocean , our dog which had never ever been in the ocean before just jumped straight in ,grabbed the silky in its mouth and returned it to the shore after scrambling over the rocks.
Old 28-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #59
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
You kind of missed my point, we as humans continue to destroy the natural habitats of those around us. Why should they kill anything 'conditioned' to attack people? We walk in there, and expect it's ours...it's not ours, it's their home - I'll go back to my original analogy - If a stranger walked into your home and did the same thing...what would you do?
Call the police if they are up to no good? Or understand they are just trying to knock on my door, and Id talk to them and probably tell them Im not interested in their better phone deal. See Im a human, not a dingo.

I can only assume based on your analogy that its their home, that your view is we dont have any right to elevate our needs over those of an animal. Then I can also only assume youre a vegetarian? Because if youre not, then you have to recognise you see yourself as a species above the other species you share the planet with, that is you dont live by a standard youre now setting for others. If that were not true, you wouldnt eat them. If you dont eat them, well good for you, however I do as do millions of others. Point, humans are the ultimate predator on this planet, and I have no qualms with entering the habitat of other animals, and protecting some habitat for said animals, and hunting them to manageable numbers and protecting some animals.

Quote:
In 1995 there had been no 'official reports' of dingo attacks. 2001 a young boy was found dead. As a result of this more than 120 dingoes were destroyed (I kind of doubt these were all 'conditioned' to attack). 2010 there were more reports of dingoes biting people (all in March, and three in total).
'Conditioned' at varying times means different things. The animals that stay away from humans and their campsites would not be conditioned, those who are less human averse are seen to be 'conditioned'. At other times, only an animal that has approached a human, not simply the campsite, would be seen as conditioned. That definition will change depending who is in government, who is running the Parks and Wildlife Dept and what pressure groups have the most clout, not to mention if there is no current public awareness (out of the peoples minds) then the issue will be ignored while if attacks are recent its more likely to be in the peoples mind and a hot potato a government will have to juggle. Youll have business groups in the area, family groups, animal welfare groups, and simply opponents of whatever the current government happens to be all vying for some angle.

Sometimes the issue will be ignored, and sometimes a government will need to please all groups, all with opposing views. Like it was mentioned earlier, some animals were relocated from the Island to the mainland due to high populations of Dingoes, an act that is illegal as they are a declared pest on the mainland. Sometimes, the number of animals on the Island is found to be too high for the ecology of the Island and a set number are targeted, sometimes culled, other times relocated.

Your past numbers wont mean much.

Quote:
It's not about the island sustaining them...it's about people being the root cause of why they're getting destroyed.
Animal control is about that. They feed on not only what they can catch, but what they scavenge. Oh, and they've been reported to have brought down horses too. Not that Im avenging horses, but the idea they only take small prey is so uninformed its funny. In large enough numbers, they will take down almost anything, including cattle. Another reason to cull SOME, the size of the prey is determined by the number in the pack.

I wont argue that people have not done the wrong thing, they have, nor that the parents of this young girl should have been more vigilant, they should have and I bet they know it. But Im also not going to attack the parents as its easy enough to do, and I highly doubt it was intentional. As someone else said, kids are quick and sometimes a parent has too much on their mind.

But Im also not going to cry when a few dingoes are shot. It isnt their Island, its ours being the dominate species. And Im not saying all Dingoes should be removed, it should be shared, they are part of the allure of the Island. However if it comes to a choice between animal and human, Ill choose human every day.

Quote:
I've seen 1080 at work, I've also seen the .22,.222,.308, etc at work, to be honest, I don't like any of them, and I certainly don't believe that they should be put down because we went to THEIR habitat...
Well we have to use something. We dont tickle the cows to sleep for hamburgers either.

Quote:
The dingo's on Fraser are (to the best of my knowledge), the most purebred of all the dingos, hence why they're protected. Knowing this, and that all dogs are territorial, WHY would anyone in their right mind, allow tourists over there? To top that off, you have people feeding dingoes and provoking them to get the perfect photo opportunity...it's a recipe for disaster, to which the only answer appears to be...kill them when they behave like the wild animal they are, because the tourist dollar is worth much more than a bunch of dogs...
You seem to think tourism on Fraser is new.

Where do you live? In a bark hut built in the canopy of the trees so as not to disturb the native habitat? Or do you live in a house, on land cleared at some point in time. Do you swing from the trees so as not to need roads that also result in dead animals? Or is your car and the wider economy more important than some animals?

Youre being silly, and spouting a double standard. They are not killing off all Dingoes on Fraser. They SHOULD be trying to manage the numbers. Unfortunately, its a hot potato, and the government wont please everyone.
Old 28-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #60
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
When I was a kid we had a dingo crossed with something else, It looked mainly like a dingo but with slightly longer fur. It was one of the smartest dogs I have ever seen, firstly as kids it would protect us and knew if we were in trouble. We lived by the ocean but the dog never ever swam in the ocean, only on the hottest of days it would wade through this swampy stagnent pond to cool down. Anyway one day I was with my brother and sister and the three kids nextdoor, they owned a sydney silky dog and we were all walking on the rocks beside the ocean. The next thing a wave washed up onto the rocks and washed the sydney silkey into the ocean , our dog which had never ever been in the ocean before just jumped straight in ,grabbed the silky in its mouth and returned it to the shore after scrambling over the rocks.

cool story. did your dog bark or howl?