Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Vass certificates for modified vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vass Engineer View Post
At one point in time people were buying the non - turbo models because they were cheaper to buy, then taking them to aftermarket to reto fit the turbo, the OEM refused any warranty on the vehicle once this was done, there are some very distinct differences between the models.
OEM warranty is a completely different topic to whether the retrofitted vehicle is built according to manufacturers spec.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
Vass Engineer
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Thanks I will have a read when I get a chance. However it seems odd to me that you would need to get a small change like going from 19" to 20" wheels certified when VSB14 (and VSI 09 for NSW) outlines a set of guidelines to follow for minor modifications that don't need certification.
Going from 19 to 20" may not pose an issue but going from perhaps 16 to 20" I would say will..
Vass Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #33
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Going from 19 to 20" may not pose an issue but going from perhaps 16 to 20" I would say will..
.... As would going from 8" rears to 10" on a GT. You can go from 8" to 9" with no problems as it is not more than 1" up from the 8" on the tyre placard; this is a "minor change". An Engineer can certify up to 2" wider. (In NSW)

For the R-Spec it can go to 10" as a minor change as it is already manufacturer certified with 9".
Old 12-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #34
Vass Engineer
Starter Motor

I have hear some addition information in regards to tyres & wheels that maybe give a clearer perspective in changing wheel & Tyres.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...orvehicles.pdf

&

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...6_1212_WEB.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VSI-26_12.12_WEB.pdf (417.2 KB, 56 views)
Vass Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #35
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Research crash testing cabin structures for vehicles.
Such as?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
No way. Modified cars are a cash cow that are easy to spot and even easier to fine. That and they know most owners can and will pay to get their pride and joy back on the road.

Of course they are going to have their hand out whenever they can.

Doing it the right way or the wrong way is still going to cost you more money, the wrong way just seems to still be cheaper.
Yeah modified cars are a bit of a cash cow but I often wonder why so many people are resistant to doing it the right way. It might cost a bit more but if it is on line and a certificate is issued you are legally in the clear.

In NSW its called the VSCCS and a programme is being undertaken to educate the police and all other authorities concerned as to its make up and usage.
As an example; you are driving a highly modified car in a safe manner and the police pull you over. In a complying vehicle all the mods will be listed on line and its a simple matter for the police to do an identity check which will produce the complying certificate. After a quick check to see if the modifications are correct you should be on your way because the car is legal.

The same scenario with a non compliant modified car means you will be delayed for some time and have a bunch of canaries put on the windscreen or rego immediately revoked if the car is unsafe.
Then comes the hand in the pocket for a tow truck, then to pay the fines, then to change all the illegal mods that the police found, then to get the car certified and finally the cost of re-establishing legal rego.

My head spins when I hear of some one spending $40 or $50 grand modifying a car and they won't spend around a $1000 give or take to make it legal.

It seems a slam dunk to me to do it right the first time and enjoy stress free motoring.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post