Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #31
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Here in SA we have Pt Wakefield Rd, a usually 90km/h stretch, held to 60 and 40 zones for a good 10-15kms. Usually a quick way to work and home, currently not so quick, but flows well.
Is that for the start of the Northern expressway there PepeLePew?
I've got to go through the road works at the other end on the Sturt Highway to get in to Gawler to catch the train. Are the roadworks on Port Wakefield Road anything like the major road and earth works going on at Gawler?
Old 24-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #32
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I slow down for roadworks... when there are people working there of course. I don't think the cops would bother pinging people in non-active sites with signs left in place because there would be room to argue it in court...

If you're surprised that cops would ping people in ACTIVE road work zones then you must have been born yesterday because seriously... COPS ARE NOT STUPID. I've always expected that the police could be in roadwork zones because its perfectly legitimate for them to do it and not only that, they SHOULD be there.

How would these speedsters like it if I rode a bloody motorbike through their office doing 100 km/h?!
Old 24-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #33
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

I think its abit ridiculus 80 going to 40 straight up, they should have a 60 in-between.
It absolutely annoys me when people speed in school zones and road work zones (when i don't like people exceeding the speed limit anyways). After school i drive home and my schools out the front of a main highway and it goes from 100 to 80 to 60 to 40 in about 500metres and the amount of people who speed past is ridiculous. The fastest i have estimated someone going past about about 100k's and they got away because the police werent their that day. It was the highlight of my day when i didn't have my P's was to sit out the front of school waiting for my parents to come collect me behind the marked VZ and VE SS patrol cars and see them pinging off speeding motorists. The most i'v counted was when there were 3 police out the front all getting people and i counted 11 people in about 20 minutes from the time i saw them from 50m away as i was walking out to when i left. Best time waiting for my parents ever .

I think it is one of the best ideas to introduce 40k speed zones out the front of schools and road works, you never know who may run out infront of your car or who may accidently trip over and fall on the road. Imagine if it was your children who fell and you were in the big truck sitting on 60 who decided not to slow down for the 40 zone.

Great to hear that people here all say they do the legal speed limit. I personally have never exceeded the speed limit. You never know what may happen, your good average working day may become your worst after getting charged with manslaughter after not slowing down in a 60zone to 40.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 02:24 AM   #34
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im gonna go with and against the grain here, of course its a good idea to stick to the limits surrounding road works, I definately wouldnt like the crap safety of having 1.5 tonne+ of metal flying beside me with stuff all barrier, but at the same time IF the cops are nabbing you for doing 44km/h in a 40 zone then thats a pretty big joke
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #35
olfella
Cranky old bastard

I came acroos this document and thought it would be good to place here so we all can be educated on what the 'rules' are. 8.2 is a good read given this thread... http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/doingbusin...nuals_dl1.html
No doubt other states have similar documents.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #36
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

From what i have been told, breaking the road laws (eg. speeding) in a vic roadworks site is the only time you can cop double fines. And fair enough i think. My cousin was nearly hit by an idiot that came speeding through one when he was being lollipop man.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #37
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
The fun part is where it ends, and you have little 18 yo in thier pulsars trying to use your boot as a hood ornament, and he goes to overtake you where it goes from 40-100, and you pull away quicker than he can put on his makeup.
hahaha its hilarious, i usually wait untill they get beside me, and then boot it....

+1 for slowing down, safety first ,and i like my licience....lol
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #38
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

I always slow down for road works and school zones. Yet just today, had no less than 5 other cars overtake me, not only showering my car in stones, but exceeding the 40km/h limit by a significant margin. I can sympathise with those that do or have worked on the road side, not somewhere I'd want to be.

If only the coppers enforced these speed limits, rather than pinging people for 5km/h over on a empty highway.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #39
colossus
Secret Sleuth

There has been roadwork signs of 80 on a small stretch of the M4 (110 zone) for months and months now. I have honestly never laid eyes on a single workman there - no one slows down there anymore unless they have interstate plates. Take the fricken signs down RTA.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #40
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Have to tend to agree that the use of roadwork signage when there is clearly no roadworks is a pain the ... But,

Several months ago one of our truck drivers was driving at 40km through some eastlink roadworks on canterbury rd. A roadworker was unloading his truck and took a step backwards onto the road. Our driver collected this bloke through no fault of his own. Police and ambo's had told us that had the driver being travelling at the road's 70k limit the roadworker would be no more.
Since that day i now make sure that when i am travelling through roadworks, irrespective if i can see workers or not, i slow to the posted limit (on the left hand lane of course!). I would rather be safe than sorry. Even though it may be a saturday there may be a few workers/supervisors there that we cannot see...
Old 10-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #41
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Is that for the start of the Northern expressway there PepeLePew?
I've got to go through the road works at the other end on the Sturt Highway to get in to Gawler to catch the train. Are the roadworks on Port Wakefield Road anything like the major road and earth works going on at Gawler?
Sorry missed this before....I havent been up Sturt past the Willaston turn off to see whats going on but there,,,,all I can say is there is a helluva lot going on, and changing constantly on Pt Wakefield. Eh you get used to it, its rare that it banks up anyway. They generally respect the morning and evening to/from work hours so while its a bit slow it at least moves.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #42
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
One of my favorite topics....

Here in SA we have Pt Wakefield Rd, a usually 90km/h stretch, held to 60 and 40 zones for a good 10-15kms. Usually a quick way to work and home, currently not so quick, but flows well.

Anyway, nightly and every morning I climb in there and throw on cruise at the relevant speed. Every day, I usually see ONE car amongst the many sitting near the limit also, with everybody else varying b/w a bit over, to well over. Always some tool dodging and weaving also, usually driving something predictable. What disturbs me more are the number of heavy vehicles up to B doubles exceeding the limits, hammering up yer rear and doing quick lane changes to dodge around you.

Well I dont pretend to have 'far' vision, or predict why the signs are there. But I have RESPECT for the guys doing the work, and occasionally respect for the simple fact the reduced limits are there due road conditions.

Sign is a sign and it doesnt kill anyone to simply obey them, rather than read into a situation what you may like to suit your desired speed....the very fact it leads to so much variation in vehicles speed adds a sweet variable to the accident equation that isnt normally there. Not being able to predict speeds around you is damn dangerous in unusual road conditions.

Your time is of the same value as everyone elses...no more, no less. Slow down.

sometimes i read these threads and try and think of another perspective on things, try to come up with something responsible to say................................... now why do i need to when someone before me said it better than i ever could....

p.s. your time is of the same value as everyone elses... no more, no less...

well said.
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #43
VSSII

I remember a few years ago listening to Ray Hadley these people rang in complaining about getting done for doing 90 in the 40 work zone heading into town. Coppers got caned by Ray and he looked into it. Next day he rang the boss of the M2 who told him he personally asks them to come and enforce the roadworks because the 2.5klm of witches hats and signs doesn't work! Apparently 2 workers had been hit on the M2 in the last 2 years. Ray turned around and got up the whingers the day before. Even called one and blew him up for only giving half the story!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #44
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always slow down but it's annoying when there's 40 signs at 2am when there's not 1 worker on the road.

Next time I come across that situation I may consider not slowing down.