Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #31
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its easy to say just buy a sh1tter until he's off his P's, but its 4 years now... a fair time to wait.
Shounak:
You don't loose your licence for driving a high powered car, it is 3 points and a fine tho. also i think he could make it out of his driveway in an au xr8... i have been driving a ba xr6 ute on my p's for nearly 2 years now and had no trouble. btw it isn't stock: dumped/rims/loud exhaust etc.
i'd look at getting an xr6 or similar, they still go ok and look good ;)
Old 16-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #32
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i could be wrong i thought if a p_plater loses 6 points in a year you get suspension actually i know for sure because i got it for speeding and no p-plates displayed
.I had a choice of 3 months loss of license or 12 month probation with no room for error.
So say you got done speeding theres 3 points plus the v8 another 3 =6 you then have a problem . Get a 6 there no slouch they will get up and go .
Old 16-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #33
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzie
it was 140kw per tonne, so yes the xr5 was legal under the old system.

id say you have buckleys in getting an exemption... except if u maby brought up about the assessor being fired ect... that would help i woud think
The law was 125kw per tonne, or an engine capacity of 3.5L per tonne. This meant slugs like 308 VB - VL Commodores, and 302 Falcons were also prohibited, even though they were slower then V6 VN's :togo:

To the OP - no chance. Even if you got consideration due to your crummy tester, you'd still go under the old restrictions and a 220kw AU would fail under power to weight.
Old 16-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #34
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhxrsix
its easy to say just buy a sh1tter until he's off his P's, but its 4 years now... a fair time to wait.
Shounak:
You don't loose your licence for driving a high powered car, it is 3 points and a fine tho. also i think he could make it out of his driveway in an au xr8... i have been driving a ba xr6 ute on my p's for nearly 2 years now and had no trouble. btw it isn't stock: dumped/rims/loud exhaust etc.
i'd look at getting an xr6 or similar, they still go ok and look good ;)
Not sure what state you're in, I'll assume it's drunk. But you definitely lose your licence for getting caught in a high powered vehicle.

Like I said before, 3 points for high powered and 3 for lack of P plates.

Utes are slightly different as I know quite a few tradies who had SS utes on their P's because of the work exemption they had from Vicroads. I've seen plenty of high powered utes with P plates, but how many SS/XR8's have you seen with P plates on?

Obviously I can't prove that you'll get done backing out of your driveway, but just see how long it takes to get pulled over in a high powered car without P plates, I'd assume almost instantaneously.

Back a few years ago when I was a P plater, it was only a $113 fine and no points for getting caught driving high powered. Heaps of friends got pulled up all the time when they had P plates up.

So they decided to bite the bullet, take off the P plates and continue driving. They stopped getting randomly pulled over immediately and swore it was a much better thing than leaving P plates up.

Old 16-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #35
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive heard of people that only have V8's, turbos etc in the family getting exemptions but im pretty sure thats only for L platers so no, i dont think you have any hope
Old 16-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #36
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
i could be wrong i thought if a p_plater loses 6 points in a year you get suspension actually i know for sure because i got it for speeding and no p-plates displayed
.I had a choice of 3 months loss of license or 12 month probation with no room for error.
So say you got done speeding theres 3 points plus the v8 another 3 =6 you then have a problem . Get a 6 there no slouch they will get up and go .
p platers get 7 points.
atleast in NSW
Old 16-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #37
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
ive heard of people that only have V8's, turbos etc in the family getting exemptions but im pretty sure thats only for L platers so no, i dont think you have any hope
L platers here were never restricted. Before you could get a restriction if the only car in your house was high powered.

A colleagues brother got this exemption when he was living with his Dad and his dad owned an XR8. It was pretty sweet.

Old 16-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #38
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

L platers don't have restrictions, if you only have access to a V8 or turbo car and need to drive to work etc you can apply for hardship but you'll only be allowed to drive that one car, so you can't buy one and drive that or drive anyone else V8..
Old 16-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #39
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
Back a few years ago when I was a P plater, it was only a $113 fine and no points for getting caught driving high powered. Heaps of friends got pulled up all the time when they had P plates up.

So they decided to bite the bullet, take off the P plates and continue driving. They stopped getting randomly pulled over immediately and swore it was a much better thing than leaving P plates up.
Whilst I wasn't breaking power to weight, I did break engine capacity to weight for 2 years of 3 on my P's and was never asked about it when pulled over. Then again police in my area aren't nazi's like in SE VIC I wouldn't risk it today, cops are alot more aware of it.
Old 16-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #40
Shounak

Yep, home of the beloved Knox TMU, with a certain Sergeant who scours the forums, checking out peoples rides. One guy got defect for stuff under his bonnet, without them even looking. They commented that he shouldn't put so many pictures up on the forum.

I even saw a defect notice with just paint on calipers. They couldn't find anything else so they gave him that. Ridiculous.

That said, the traffic nazi's generally don't bother giving cars the treatment unless you're a smartarse or your car is really modified.

Old 16-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #41
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
L platers here were never restricted. Before you could get a restriction if the only car in your house was high powered.

A colleagues brother got this exemption when he was living with his Dad and his dad owned an XR8. It was pretty sweet.
before the no turbo laws and all that my mate's parents only owned an E46 M3 and a 2000 STI.. he learnt to drive in both of them.. lucky bastard
Old 16-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #42
schultzie
Just Images

yeah my bad.... because i could only just drive my l series with the mods it has...
Old 16-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #43
swapper

im really sick of the 100kmh speed limit on my way to work, is there any way i can get some kind of exemption? id really like to sit on 150!!!

(note the sarcasm)
Old 16-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #44
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sure what state you're in, I'll assume it's drunk. But you definitely lose your licence for getting caught in a high powered vehicle.

Like I said before, 3 points for high powered and 3 for lack of P plates.

Utes are slightly different as I know quite a few tradies who had SS utes on their P's because of the work exemption they had from Vicroads. I've seen plenty of high powered utes with P plates, but how many SS/XR8's have you seen with P plates on?

Obviously I can't prove that you'll get done backing out of your driveway, but just see how long it takes to get pulled over in a high powered car without P plates, I'd assume almost instantaneously.

?? Just because you are a p plater in a high powered car doesn't mean u can't put p plates up!!! They still stick to the windows in an XR8. Yes if you were driving one without p plates up and got caught you would loose your licence = 6 points.
Why would you be pulled over almost instanly in a high powered vehicle without p plates on it? With p plates displayed would be more likely... my dad has an xr8, a few of my mates drive SS's and they don't get pulled over very much at all.
My ute is a good example as it looks pretty much like an xr6t so why wouldnt i get pulled over for them to check??
Also i am in VIC. i'll assume you are drunk also.
Old 16-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #45
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhxrsix
?? Just because you are a p plater in a high powered car doesn't mean u can't put p plates up!!! They still stick to the windows in an XR8. Yes if you were driving one without p plates up and got caught you would loose your licence = 6 points.
Why would you be pulled over almost instanly in a high powered vehicle without p plates on it? With p plates displayed would be more likely... my dad has an xr8, a few of my mates drive SS's and they don't get pulled over very much at all.
My ute is a good example as it looks pretty much like an xr6t so why wouldnt i get pulled over for them to check??
Also i am in VIC. i'll assume you are drunk also.
Why would you be pulled over instantly driving a high powered vehicle with P plates? Take a bloody guess.

You're signalling, HEY OFFICER, I'VE JUST GUARANTEED YOU A TICKET, I'M LESS THAN 21 YEARS OLD IN A POWERFUL CAR.

I personally know a few cops and they've both told me that they've caught a few people like this and that they will usually pull a car like that up to see what to go is. Because the only way for them to be legally driving it is with a special exemption, of which they have to carry the paper around.

Usually the exemptions state within business hours (for work purposes) and anything beyond is a fine.

Btw, the reason you might not get pulled over is the way cops function. They usually sit behind a suspicious looking vehicle, run a check and decide what to do from there. Have you ever been followed by a cop for a while, chances are that they were waiting for D24 to get back to them with the details on the car.

They can tell your ute is an XR6 (or whatever it is), so even if you had a mock up XR8, a quick check will clear it up.

Like I said before, HP car without P plates is not suspicious. Cops don't get suspicious everytime they see a a HP car.

HP car (ie an SS/XR8) with P plates on it is usually suspicious enough to warrant checking out further. That's where the trouble begins.

This is also where this argument ends. I know I'm right, I've heard it straight form the mouth of cops and even more on the other side of the law. You have fun doing whatever you do, this stuff stopped affecting me the moment my licence turned blue.

Quote:
Btw, this is the most nonsensical part of your post. I think you need to have a closer read of my posts. I said that you're less likely to get pulled up in a HP car without P plates.

I drive an XR8 now and I've never been pulled up. I've got full GT stripes and everything.

My opinion is that if I put P plates up, I'd feel plod screaming up my buttocks, lights and sirens blazing.

Old 16-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #46
hrtrip
I Hope Holden Dies

i have to agree with Shounak on this one. I drove an EB fairmont for 4 years, 3 of which were on my p's. it was an xr8 mockup, and living in the SE suburbs of melbourne, I was pulled up on Doncaster Road at least every fortnight, my record was 4 times in one night (but that's a whole other story).

Everyone knows round these parts in modded cars that cops LOVE to pull you up, because more times than not, they will get you for something, thanks to the demographic of idiots who live around this area.

However, once i was off my p's, the trouble i had with the cops almost turned to zero and since i have got my new car (EL Mont stocker), i have not been pulled over once.

I learnt a valuable lesson about cars and the cops, especially living where i do, if its modded, you'll get pulled up, for no apparent reason, if you have p's up, you'll get pulled over for no apparent reason. the cops just know that they can get you for something nearly every time, which is why i always have RW tyres and never too low or loud. i

Shounak you are 110% right IMO. it's crap and i hate that it happens, especially the revenue raising side of it, but to a point, it is keeping the streets safer.

HRT R.I.P

Icon Blue BFII Fairmont
Stock as a rock... :(
Old 17-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #47
daveyf
Starter Motor

You guys make it sound so difficult to attain this exemption.... if your heart is set on driving this vehicle for your probationary period why not simply register a business... Then from that purchase the vehicle under the business name and simply apply for an exemption... Vicroads cannot refuse... Or there is what i do since my dad is a builder i applied for an exemption on the basis that i am currently employed by him and require this vechile in the course of my work.... i received a letter back stating this exact sentiment "NO EXEMPTION IS REQUIRED from VicRoads if the
probationary driver is driving an employer’s high powered vehicle
in the course of his or her employment and at the request of his
or her employer." Thus showing i in fact do not require an exemption and simply require myself to carry around a piece of paper from my employer (my dad) saying i need to be able to drive this car everywhere and anywhere at any time.... Then "HEY PRESTO" no exemption required and the boys in blue cant touch you There are loopholes everywhere you just have to know how to find them and how to exploit them....

EDIT: BTW i have had my P's about 1 and 3/4 years and have only be quizzed by this once at a booze bus... I got let off without a hitch needless to say the officer was baffled with the law.... I also drive in excess of 400km a week anywhere and everywhere in melbourne and never get pulled over maybe it is because when they run my plates the car is registered to the business and an exemption is shown on their system... btw i drive a xr6turbo
Old 17-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #48
daveyf
Starter Motor

oh and further to my earlier post... i dont drive like an idiot thus why i probably never get targeted it also intrigues me how... i have had a marked HIGHWAY PATROL car sit behind me on 3 occasions and on all these occasions they simply just overtake or just follow me.... Again i believe this may have something to do with once the plate check is complete and they realise the car is registered to the business it is probably not worth the effort pulling me over...

"NO EXEMPTION IS REQUIRED from VicRoads if the
probationary driver is driving an employer’s high powered vehicle
in the course of his or her employment and at the request of his
or her employer."

Just remember the course of your employment can mean ANYTHING.... In my case it may mean me driving my companies vehicle home at 12 at night due to some "overtime".... or driving to my girlfriends place "work site" at 7 at night due to the alarm going off.... I believe the chances of you getting fined are slim to none with this exemption as the way the paragraph is worded you can drive practically anywhere at anytime so long as you can make up a story about work...... I do not encourage you to flout the laws though certain laws are just a cash grab/demeaning to younger drivers
Old 17-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #49
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i THINK you're missing the point of the law.

P-platers do not require high powered vehicles, they just want them to be 'cool'. What makes you guys think you're so special, that you deserve to drive high powered vehicles, when the majority do the right thing and wait ? Seems like pure selfishness to me. Unless you have advanced driver skills, i would not come within 500 metres of you.
Old 17-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #50
daveyf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackersINC
i THINK you're missing the point of the law.

P-platers do not require high powered vehicles, they just want them to be 'cool'. What makes you guys think you're so special, that you deserve to drive high powered vehicles, when the majority do the right thing and wait ? Seems like pure selfishness to me. Unless you have advanced driver skills, i would not come within 500 metres of you.
mmmmm possibly some sort of crusade.... a crusade to prove the point that some and i do say some p plate drivers are NOT egotistical hoons whose sole desire is to create havoc on the states roads...

I simply choose to drive my xr6t because i can..... and since i can drive it i will and i will prove to uneducated police officers that they cannot touch me and i will take them to court if they try...

Our society is becoming a communist state.... for what? the improvement of our safety... its all and its all about money the government have conned us into believing that all p platers are hoons and have led us to believe that these "over-the-top" laws will save us.... i for one will continue to flout this law thanks to the wording put fourth by vic roads which can be interpreted in almost any fashion... THANK YOU VICROADS FOR GETTING SOMETHING RIGHT
Old 17-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #51
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

It's one thing to get an exemption for driving a V8, it's another thing to crash! Think about this. You're a P-plater and you've got a V8. Are you going to drive miss daisy, or are you going want to give it some? It defeats the purpose of having it if you don't want to use the power at some point. Even if you don't, your mates will probably be egging you on.

It only takes one mistake to lose it, and even a 220kw XR8 will easily lose it if not controlled by a decent driver when driven fairly hard. Imagine if you somehoe managed to weasel your way into an exemption, and then something happened? Even if an accident wasn't your fault, you'd be easily targeted as a scapegoat. IMO it's not worth it, just wait.

These days BA/BF 6s go as well if not better than 90s injected V8s anyway, so if it's performance you want you wont be missing out as they have a large selection of mods these days. The only thing you'll miss out on is the sound and extra fuel costs. It could be worse, in europe most people on equivaent licences (young people) can hardly afford a car at all, and usually settle with something less than 1000cc!
Old 17-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #52
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too many assumptions and generalisations about P-Platers here, especially from crackers. To crackersINC: A fully licensed driver also does not need a high powered vehicle, that is a completely invalid point to make. Maybe a P-Plater wants to drive an XR8 for legitimate reasons like any enthusiast would? I certainly am not a hoon or idiot on or off the road.

To Cobra, fair point tut that applies to any driver. Any driver would want to give it a bit every once in a while, otherwise why own said vehicle? It's up to the driver when they think is an appropriate time to do so and also have limits.

Anyway I honestly just loved the car and wanted it, I am certainly not bitter for not being able to drive it. I won't be whinging or complaining either that I can't get it, i'm now after an AU series III xr6 VCT in meteorite. So yes everybody continue the discussion but don't jump on p-platers.
Old 17-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #53
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

hahah ahhhhhhh dear. this argument has been conducted on so many occasions, i'm not sure why i bothered replying to be honest. Let me make it 100% clear to you, since you seem to be confused a little. Here's the equation i was trying to put forward to you:

inexperience + high powered vehicle = increased risk of injury or death.

THAT is why the law is in place. Of course every driver is different, i'm not labelling all p platers as idiots. I'm also not attacking anyone's character, i am simply stating facts. You need to walk before you can run. In a few years when you're off your p's you'll most likely understand.
Old 17-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #54
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW
Too many assumptions and generalisations about P-Platers here, especially from crackers. To crackersINC: A fully licensed driver also does not need a high powered vehicle, that is a completely invalid point to make. Maybe a P-Plater wants to drive an XR8 for legitimate reasons like any enthusiast would? I certainly am not a hoon or idiot on or off the road.

To Cobra, fair point tut that applies to any driver. Any driver would want to give it a bit every once in a while, otherwise why own said vehicle? It's up to the driver when they think is an appropriate time to do so and also have limits.

Anyway I honestly just loved the car and wanted it, I am certainly not bitter for not being able to drive it. I won't be whinging or complaining either that I can't get it, i'm now after an AU series III xr6 VCT in meteorite. So yes everybody continue the discussion but don't jump on p-platers.
The point I was tying to make about stacking wasn't due to the risk (even though lets face it P platers are a higher risk and that's FACT) but rather the implications associated with the individual (i.e YOU) post crash. It's a moot point now, as you've said youre getting an XR6 VCT.

The risk is probably just as great for you to stack in an XR6 VCT with LSD as you are in an XR8, but the implications are a lot less severe relatively as you are legally alowed to drive such a vehicle. It's up to us as individuals to drive responsibly. I of all people should know that considering my shocking driving record. Take care.
Old 17-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #55
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I'm not singling out RTSW here, but having a general rant at all whinging P platers.

Hardly a week goes by in AFF without a post from some P plater who wants a car that lifts the front wheels at traffic lights (for the humour impaired that was sarcasm!)

What does amaze me is that people who have just got their license -by driving around the block without bumping into anything- want the fastest thing on the road.

If you've just got your pilots license they wont let you steer an F111

If you've just got your Boat license in a 3m tinny you would'nt expect to be allowed drive an Offshore Powerboat!

Your new at this driving stuff and unless you've had advanced driver training you've got a LONG way to go before you can call yourself a driver capable of controlling big horsepower!

So get over it! You want people to look at you? they will, especially the way some P platers conduct themselves.
Old 17-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #56
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You do learn for 2 years before you are on your P's. Most drivers at this stage are experienced enough to drive within their means and not cause any problems.

Fair enough many P-Platers are idiots and whinge anyway, I just don't like getting jumped on and thrown in with the rest. I have also been a year on my P's so i'm not completely inexperienced and after a race car. I just love the v8's! But i'll be happy with the VCT.. for now :P
Old 17-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #57
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW
You do learn for 2 years before you are on your P's. Most drivers at this stage are experienced enough to drive within their means and not cause any problems.
If you call learning putting around with the old folks doing hill starts or parallel parking with a driving instructor then you've got a long way to go. If we all got advanced driver training as part of our licence then I'd say you'd be a lot safer to handle a high powered car, but it's not a perfect world and we don't get that unless we pay for it ourselves.

The government certainly isn't going to pay for us just so they are confident we can handle high powered cars. They preffer to reduce the cars available to P platers in the name of safety but have them be out on the roads having NFI! Knowing the road rules is one thing, knowing how to drive is another. The amount of variation between what people have learned/experienced during their learning period is massive, that why the system is flawed.

It's just too easy to get a licence. It's a privilege not a prerequisite. I think if we got better training as L's, there'd be less accidents on our roads. I think the accidents that young people have is about lack of respect for the conditions, and their ability to handle them. I think if I had proper driver training I probably would have avoided an accident I had by making a better decision at the time. Driver training is something we as individuals should choose to take up, pity we don't get 'credits' for doing this on our Ps so we can be exempted from blanket laws which cater for the lowest common denominators.
Old 17-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #58
insano_damo
Starter Motor

why cant u jsut get the AU xr6 vct, not as much power, but would kill it in every other aspect...

btw DOES anyyyone in here know any speed specs on the vct?
in terms of 0-100, wat we talking? 7.00's?? 6.9's??
Old 17-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #59
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by insano_damo
why cant u jsut get the AU xr6 vct, not as much power, but would kill it in every other aspect...

btw DOES anyyyone in here know any speed specs on the vct?
in terms of 0-100, wat we talking? 7.00's?? 6.9's??
Going a bit off topic here but from memory a VCT would run mid 7s and mid 15s at very best. AU XR8 could run a mid/low 6 and a mid 14 comfortably down the quarter. Apart from 30od kg extra the VCT and XR8 are essentially the exact same car. How you think a VCT would "kill" an AU3 XR8 is beyond me...
Old 17-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #60
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

For my first car I had an old Mazda 808, in-line 1.3l 4 cyl, 4spd manual. I had that car for 3 yrs and had an absolute ball in it. I learnt heaps, Drove it to the limit, It was cheap to run, Cheap to FIX. (Due to constant 6k RPM gear changes, I used to replace a blown head gasket every 6mths. got it down to 1 1/2 hrs to replace ) My point, If I was driving my BF XR8 back then, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead by now. God knows who else I may have taken with me also.
Closed Thread