Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #31
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
I'd get a wagon before an SUV too. I hate the ride height of SUV's (for example the Terri) because they feel so airy.

I do like cars like the Subaru Outback though. I'd probably get that before a Falcon or Commodore wagon.

I think the Mondeo Wagon is a fantastic move by Ford before is suites families who want wagons but not as big as a Commodore of Falcon which are/were huge.

Feel so airy?? have you ever driven one?? I drove my Ghia for 50,000 kays, drove it very hard on country roads etc and i never once felt like i was goign to roll it, or lose control of it...

I guess that explains why i went thru 3 sets of tyres in 50,000 kms, must of been my cornering speed.

Id have another one again tomorrow if i had the room for it and the cook would drive it...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets be honest.. this topic occurs nearly as regularly as the (insert current FPV model here) G.T.H.O topic does....
Its also doomed by the same inevitable outcomes too: lots of talkers, but not many buyers....

Last edited by 4Vman; 06-03-2009 at 05:48 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGXR6TUTE
Holden don't sell a Sportswagon, however they do offer a Sportwagon! :

Would you buy a station wagon with leaf springs in it compared to other offerings in the marketplace?
Would you buy a wagon with no real space in the back?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #34
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
And how often to people who buy these cars actually need the AWD?

I'm from a large family (4 sisters and a brother) and our family car was an EBII Falcon Wagon (factory 5 speed too ) with a 3rd row seat in the back (making it an 8 seater). It was an ideal family car. It has been in the country all it's life but my parents never regretted not getting a 4WD. Our age gaps were enough that by the time the youngest were outgrowing the back, the oldest were getting our own cars and licences. It has more legroom in the back than the Territory. The only problem we had with visibility was trying to see around all the big 4WDs, and there was no problems with fitting baby seats etc. What I don't understand is families with 2 kids now seem to find a sedan is too small and must get a 4WD.
Well AWD is a big selling point for many people... As for having a falcon wagon with 8 seats and having more leg room in the back, you gotta be shittering me...

With the 2nd row moved foward in a territory the 3rd row occupants actually get their own foot well, something you dont get in a 8 seater wagon.. which i must also mention isnt factory and requires a mod plate.

I know what id prefer out of the 2, and it definately isnt a BFIII XT with some dicky seats in the boot.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #35
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
People who want wagons are still lving in the 1970's when they bought their first kingswood wagon... .

Ahhh the HQ Wagon....memories...memories....Our family car in the mid 70's.....bench front seat, 3 speed tri-matic on the column...no power steering...lift down tail gate (that rusted out) and wind up back window....metal wind deflectors on the rear pillars....ahhh those were the days.....I remember many a family holiday in the back section of the old HQ wagon fighting with my brither before rear seat belt laws came in...distant memory now....We had a gold coloured HQ...my uncle had a green one....and our neighbour had a white one ....crikey, it seems everyone had an HQ wagon back then.....memories...memories
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Lets be honesat.. this topic occurs nearly as regularly as the (insert current FPV model here) G.T.H.O topic does....
Its also doomed by the same inevitable outcomes too: lots of talkers, but not many buyers....
Same old story.. you are right....
Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Would you buy a wagon with no real space in the back?
Also known as a "Hatch".....
People buy the commodore hatch because...., well.... why not, in practical terms its no bigger than the sedan, its just got a bit more carry height in the boot.
The fact that for every hatch sold they sell 1 less sedan just shows its not hitting the mark as a true "wagon"....

Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #38
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to own a Au fairmont wagon a nice car with heap of room that hardly was used ( except when we used it as a dualcab with canopy). When it came to up grading we had a drive of the Terry, well with the better driving position, not that much less room out the back and the 3rd row seats that fold out of the way (handy with kids sleep overs). Then the extra ground clearance. Had problems with the wagon on some dirt roads we travel along. But no probs with the terry. I have taken my rwd terry ferther off road than most 4wds ever will.
As for the wagon or terry being better, the sales must say something. Ford dump the fairmont and futura wagons because of bad sales with the Au. They have done nothing with the wagon but people still by the base m0del. The territory has had strong sales across the board but at one stage the was more ghais than the rest of the range. But then FPV came out with the F6X an overprice under done car ( sorry bfiipursuit) which has pretty much been axed. I doubt that a higer spec'ed wagon in G6, XR or FPV trim would rain long either.

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #39
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I hope ford dont bring out a sports wagon because I spent plenty of money and time to get the wagon to where it is lol

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #40
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Well I want one so maybe FPV or Ford will do a one off for me seeing as I am the only buyer it seems.
You'll all be jealous then LOL not!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #41
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Ford will release their own sportswagon around the same time FPV release the GTHO
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #42
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Well AWD is a big selling point for many people... As for having a falcon wagon with 8 seats and having more leg room in the back, you gotta be shittering me...

With the 2nd row moved foward in a territory the 3rd row occupants actually get their own foot well, something you dont get in a 8 seater wagon.. which i must also mention isnt factory and requires a mod plate.

I know what id prefer out of the 2, and it definately isnt a BFIII XT with some dicky seats in the boot.
AWD might be a selling point but in most cases, it's a useless one. The 3rd row seat was a dealer option. Have you seen the amount of room in the back of a Falcon wagon? There was heaps of legroom. The only disadvantage was headroom but for kids that wasn't a problem.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #43
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

Lol i now own a crewman and yea a wasted fad. the back seats are terrible. only bought it for the 4 seats, tray and it wasn't a 4wd.

Once I am off the tools i would get a wagon for the extra load space over a sedan, especially if i have kids. the misus doesn't like them. plus awd and 4wd are over rated.

i would go out and buy the new sportwagon by holden just cause i can get an ss and the back door opens in such a small area. that is even with the fact i'd preferably never by a holden again. Parts are bs on cost.

Hopefully ford will make one so i don't have to suffer and i could get a 6t.
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #44
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
AWD might be a selling point but in most cases, it's a useless one. The 3rd row seat was a dealer option. Have you seen the amount of room in the back of a Falcon wagon? There was heaps of legroom. The only disadvantage was headroom but for kids that wasn't a problem.
Yeah ive driven the occasional BA / BF wagon, they are only good for cartin dead bodies around in if you ask me (lenght).
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #45
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdouw
especially if i have kids. the misus doesn't like them.
Very interesting, Chance's are you won't then :

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #46
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a post I put in earlier.

I reckon it sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Firstly, there isn't the money to develop a new model. Ford's future here or in the US is still not safe.

Secondly, Ford has the Territory, which covers the family market well enough and as stated by many on here, is a fantastic all-round car. Why steal sales from it with two vehicles that are similar in dimensions, interior space, performance, as well as targeted demographic?

Thirdly, there is already a wagon, and it cost next to nothing to update from BFII to BFIII, and has its own niche market. It may not be pretty, but it gets the job done. Holden had to have a wagon, since the Captiva was not the success Holden had hoped it would be.

As nice and rosey as the VE may be, I am not convinced that it's making a massive difference to Holden sales.

When they have to take the price down several thousand only months after release, that is probably a sign that it isn't selling like hotcakes and therefore difficult to recoup the costs.

Ford is playing it smart.

If Ford released a similar wagon, would you buy it? Many people who say, "I want Ford to make a sportswagon" will never buy one. It's just eye-candy and a case of "monkey-see, monkey-do" between Holden and Ford.

Right now, Ford should keep the current line-up.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #47
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:evil3: 300c Touring SRT8. :evil3:

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Lollygobbleblissbomb...

Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #49
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Yep. I guess Jase that if I want a sporty wagon it won't be a Ford and I can't bring myself to buy a Holden.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #50
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

i doubt they will make it especially not in the current economic state
Old 07-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #51
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I swear people that start these threads live under arocks, or in a cave or something, NO manufacturer, anywhere in the world, is going to invest 1 cent in any niche market for at least 2 years, so if you want a 'sports wagon, either buy a Holden, Chrysler, or save your pennys and buy a Merc.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #52
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or build your own.

BA/BF Wagons are cheap, and go to the auctions and find a wrecked XR6T.
A couple of weekends and youve got what you want.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #53
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately the above is true, any projects that were forecasted to start now will inevitably be put back a couple of years. The way the world economy is going, auto manufacturers are happy just to stay open throughout the rest of this year.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #54
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishingdogs
Very interesting, Chance's are you won't then :
lol i'll just trade in the misus for a better model lol that solves that problem now for a sports wagon damit lol

but yea there is no way ford is going to even release the FG wagon this yr let alone a sports wagon. Especially if GM is looking this unsatable.
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #55
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Fashionable?
People who want wagons are still lving in the 1970's when they bought their first kingswood wagon...
The wagon concept is over..
I beg to differ though...... Doesn't my sig say it.... It should say "sales" to a car rep. "Yep, he'll buy another wagon".

If I ever had the money and time, I would do a build, like on the FTG "Tsunami" wagon.

The major problem with Ford's ideals as for the concept of the wagon is concerned, is they need to put an XR6 style of suspension on the base model.
I don't care what Ford say, they are wrong in putting standard suspension on the base model.
These cars handle differently to the sedans. And are too soft with standard suspension.

I just hope FPV think about that a lot!

Did FTG beef up their suspension with the Tsunami? (i.e aftermarket beefed up or XR6 setup)

EDIT:
What I'd like to see, is a version of Junkyard Wars or one of those similar shows, with (wrecked) Ford BA / BF Wagons, into absolute carnage machines.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #56
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Feel so airy?? have you ever driven one?? I drove my Ghia for 50,000 kays, drove it very hard on country roads etc and i never once felt like i was goign to roll it, or lose control of it...

I guess that explains why i went thru 3 sets of tyres in 50,000 kms, must of been my cornering speed.

Id have another one again tomorrow if i had the room for it and the cook would drive it...
I made the comment because I have driven one, but I've only driven it in the suburbs and have no FWD's to compare it to.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #57
XRLightening

I was always under the impression that the Territory was to be a replacement for the Falcon wagon which was due to be phased out....

I could be wrong though....

We just know him as THE MANTIS

-------------

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria
Daily Drive:
2005 GU IV Patrol, 4.8l Petrol, Manual, Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Electronic Brakes and Cargo Barrier.
Toy Drive:
1968 XT Falcon Ute - Dead Stock, Original and ALWAYS Garaged
XRLightening is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRLightening
I was always under the impression that the Territory was to be a replacement for the Falcon wagon which was due to be phased out....

I could be wrong though....
Originally yes, but the wagon didn't stop selling, so Ford have continued with it. They expected the Territory to steal wagon sales but it didn't happen.

The answer to this is easy to work out. Just look at the figures.

Ford sell something like 400 BFIII wagons a month.

Holden have sold around 1000 Sportwagons at its peak after release. Those numbers have probably dropped down to maybe 800ish, and will continue to drop.

So the difference between Falcon wagon and Sportwagon is around 400 a month. Holdens usually sell in higher numbers than Falcon.

So Ford may only sell around 500-600 FG wagons a month if they go that way. Fleets may actually stop buying it because its not as practical as the BF wagon.

So basically Ford will not really gain any extra sales if they release an FG wagon, and if anything they will lose money on it due to the very high development costs.

This clearly show why its an extremely dumb idea to make an FG Sportwagon and the simple reason why Ford haven't done it.

Thread closed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #59
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Originally yes, but the wagon didn't stop selling, so Ford have continued with it. They expected the Territory to steal wagon sales but it didn't happen.

The answer to this is easy to work out. Just look at the figures.

Ford sell something like 400 BFIII wagons a month.

Holden have sold around 1000 Sportwagons at its peak after release. Those numbers have probably dropped down to maybe 800ish, and will continue to drop.

So the difference between Falcon wagon and Sportwagon is around 400 a month. Holdens usually sell in higher numbers than Falcon.

So Ford may only sell around 500-600 FG wagons a month if they go that way. Fleets may actually stop buying it because its not as practical as the BF wagon.

So basically Ford will not really gain any extra sales if they release an FG wagon, and if anything they will lose money on it due to the very high development costs.

This clearly show why its an extremely dumb idea to make an FG Sportwagon and the simple reason why Ford haven't done it.

Thread closed.
Bravo.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #60
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
I swear people that start these threads live under arocks, or in a cave or something, NO manufacturer, anywhere in the world, is going to invest 1 cent in any niche market for at least 2 years, so if you want a 'sports wagon, either buy a Holden, Chrysler, or save your pennys and buy a Merc.
Yes mate its a nice rock I live under.

Why do so many people attack other in these forums. "Oh not another of a thousand of the exact same threads" "What an idiot no one would buy a FPV wagon" "What is this guy thinking he has no clue"

Sorry for having an opinion.
You guys are all experts on everything. Can't someone just express a wish or opinion without being jumped all over.

I was just stating that HSV made a wagon why don't FPV.
Its not really investing any more all the components are there in other cars just bring them together in a wagon.