Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #31
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Car is on club rego. Only cost $140 for the year. How cheap is that! If i get a house i will probably park it up and ver time fix a few things i'm not happy with. Like pulling the carpet out as it was cut abit short on one side or put in slightly crooked.
Old 18-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #32
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYGTHO
Car is on club rego. Only cost $140 for the year. How cheap is that! If i get a house i will probably park it up and ver time fix a few things i'm not happy with. Like pulling the carpet out as it was cut abit short on one side or put in slightly crooked.
Jeese an old thread. Now got a little house with a two bay shed. Happy to say i still have the XY but have'nt driven it in over a month now. :
Its so frustating with fuel prices etc. Not sure what to do as i'd love to cruise to the beach and places like wintersun etc but can't afford to. What to do.
Most spare cash is going into painting and fixing the house now. Oh well. Thats life i suppose. I've got a 35g car sitting there i can admire. lol.
Old 18-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #33
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Jeese an old thread. Now got a little house with a two bay shed. Happy to say i still have the XY but have'nt driven it in over a month now. :
Its so frustating with fuel prices etc. Not sure what to do as i'd love to cruise to the beach and places like wintersun etc but can't afford to. What to do.
Most spare cash is going into painting and fixing the house now. Oh well. Thats life i suppose. I've got a 35g car sitting there i can admire. lol.
You need to get yourself a job where they give you a fuel card ;)

Good to hear some feedback on how things went too!

All the best
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #34
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
it is great to hear you got the house and kept the car. i would always suggest a house over a car - and almost had to make the agonising decision to sell the coupe in the late 90's. i was so close to getting a house twice and if i did not get it on the third time, the coupe had to go
now i have both, as well as my wife and could not be happier. you always hear stories of people wishing they had kept a car, so now you may not be one of those people. hopefully you can keep both forever

you can always go for shorter cruises less often. most of my drives are for 20-30 minutes around a couple of blocks to recharge the battery. it is still awesome to drive for that short amount of time. also the garage looks much better when the car is in it
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #35
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
you can always go for shorter cruises less often. most of my drives are for 20-30 minutes around a couple of blocks to recharge the battery. it is still awesome to drive for that short amount of time. also the garage looks much better when the car is in it
Spot on mate. Going to be joining the Army Reserves also for some part time tax free money. Sounds like a very rewarding job, you get qualifications also. Might try to get in as a driver, yuo get to drive and maintain trucks and vehicles.
Old 18-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #36
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

i know exactly how you feelin XYGTHO, ive been thinking id be better off sellin my XA... and i certainly regret sellin my XB GT coupe but a had no where to keep it, anyway back to the storey... think of it this way, yeh money will be tight with the morgage and the car will sit there and you may not be able to afford to drive it (or in my case afford to do more to finish it, been 3yrs now grrr) but even if you keep it, it can run outta rego and what have you, least you will still have it and eventually, money will pick up and things will get easier and you will be able to drive it again and then think back to yourself "gee glad now i didnt sell her"
I know a bloke who sold his one owner HK GTS monaro (his father was original owner) he sold it late 06 for 42k... look how much they worth now and i tell him every time i see him he shouldnt of soldout.... dont do it brother.... you want it bad enuf you will find the cash
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #37
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

yer have been thinking about it a while now. thought a muzzy with a little 289 would be a compromise but just doesn't compare. I think i will eventually just put a medium hydro cam in and dual plane manifold, smaller carb and lower the comp. Also chuck the 4.11's and get some 3.25's. When i can afford it. So there may be a 2V funnelweb, solid come cam with 624"lift and a modded 750dp for sale on here in the future. lol.
The biggest problem i think will be dropping the comp down from 11.8:1 to a reasonable 10:1 or so? What difference will thicker head gaskets make. Maybe some mods to the heads?
Old 19-06-2008, 01:43 AM   #38
IDT
Marko

You had to know by coming on here and asking what we all think that everyone would say keep it. I think that is really what you wanted to hear.

Listen to me I'm sounding like a damned phsycologist : :

Anyway, all that aside, ask any old retired aussie bloke and they will have a story about a great car they should have kept but got rid of for one reason or another. The question is would you rather be telling stories or cruizing? :
Old 19-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #39
Director

Sold My XAGT, same situation as you, regret it to this day.
I now own the XB and I will never sell it even though its not the GT. I look at it like this - its my real passion in life - you only live once.

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #40
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im in the same boat here too,, Really wanna buy a house now,,
Makes it a whole heap easier to do it with lots of cash in my bank. But to do that i need to sell the XAGT in my shed... Its a Hard one!

Need a Windscreen? www.windscreensmelbourne.com.au
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #41
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

good luck mate. Obviously i know its not easy. You do what you can though. I've got through ok but houses are a bit cheaper up here. But that saying that as a designer/drafter i'd make more money down there.
Old 19-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #42
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

/EDIT read the whole thread!

Glad you kept it!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #43
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director
Sold My XAGT, same situation as you, regret it to this day.
I now own the XB and I will never sell it even though its not the GT. I look at it like this - its my real passion in life - you only live once.
I'm guilty of the same sin as you! I sold my XA GT, sprouting truths like "I don't get to drive it much anymore" and using household money pressures as another.
After a few years, going through a few newer cars, the passion for an Ol' Clevo got the better of me again. I might have an XY now, but it's not a GT, and it's a stocky Vs the XA which had everything already built/sorted. I now can't afford to build up the XY to where I want it to be, because of even more household pressure, house repayments and the like.
So foolish, to think I had an XE ESP, as well as the XA GT in the drive...and they're now long gone.
In short, I won't be selling my XY in a hurry!
Old 19-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #44
GTP290

I BOUGHT A HOUSE IN 2001 AND SOLD MY XY REPLICA IN 2002, I sold it for
$14000 and bought an XA 460 coupe for $7000 a month later. After I paid back the 3 grand I owed to my brother I still had some cash left over and a beast of a coupe.
The coupe was sold about 6 months later, then I bought a mint XA 302w showcar for $5500. I sold that in 2004, and now I own BA GTP.
Depending on witch way you look at it, maybe I should of kept the XY maybe I should of kept the coupe, maybe I should just put the money in the bank, I do regret selling each one of those cars, but life goes on and now with cheap oil prices a thing of the past maybe cars will be worth a tenth of the price they are worth now.
Old 20-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #45
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

i know i could never sell my XA now... if i was bankrupt id live in it i reckon... and my 6yr old daughter would kill me if i sold "kelly"... she cried when i stripped her down for the 2nd build and gets as attached to the cars as i do... and ive owned it for around the same time as my daughter was born so its like they grown up together and the car is part of the family... im sure everyone here has a regret selling one kinda car or another, but cars parked in a garage dont put food on the table.... sometimes it can be a cruel savage world... but we only live once and im sure everyone here can admit, cars are our passion and we all need one thing in life to satisfy that passion i reckon.
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #46
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Good to see you kept the car... As i was in the same situation as you, i too kept mine...

Doesn't it feel good that all your hard work has paid off (by that i mean, you have been able to keep your car and get a house)?????
Old 20-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #47
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
TZENU, i bet you werent thinking of houses and shite when you were in the staging lanes at the AFF drag meet. Some say you cant live in a car, but try doing a burnout in a house.
Thanks John. Bet you didn't think that statement would cause pain, but got b**tch slapped when I told the Mrs!!!! Should have thought it through before hand!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #48
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

haha yer mate does feel good to have both. Looking at detuning it abit now so i can cruise more comfortably using less fuel. I think i'd be able to make more power or the same power at streetable revs than the setup i have now anyway. It realy doesn't start pulling till over 3,500rpm. I'd like it to pull from 1000rpm through 3500rpm.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #49
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sell the missus! Keep the car. Cheaper to run! :
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #50
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep it mate - The extra $20 per week you have to fork out on your home loan by not selling the XY will be far outweighed by the pleasure you'll have from keeping it....Also ignore what the car will/won't be worth in years to come and look at it as a lifestyle investment....although history dicates you won't lose even if it is a replica...Good luck whatever you decide
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #51
schultzie
Just Images

After reading it it was a wise descion to keep the car, you would of regretted it, even though it is not of the same calibre of the Xy, i have my Subaru L-series sitting in the shed for the day that i can afford to spend some money on it. and to think i was going to sell and to buy a shed for my house.... haha,