The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #31
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Your advice is warranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
(and as mentioned above, the sound system is great! this one had no sub thanks to the gas tank and it was still great!)
You can have Gas AND a sub (the original one).... I do

Old 10-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #32
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
no.. it was lolling how some around here offer up opinions on cars they have never owned...
FG is better than both.

I've never owned ANY of them, I'm still stuck in 1980.......

But I have driven them all, and the G6 is the pick....

Ed
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #33
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

the new G6's are nice ... but trying to find one for $7K is a different story.
Unless it has been crashed significantly.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #34
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Yeah, I did aim a bit high for my 7 grand... AU over BA I reckon when it comes to that.

Ed
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #35
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I own both an AU and a BA and in 8 months of owning this AU, I have had to spend more on repairs than I have in 6 years of owning the BA. Both cars are sub-200K on the clock.

That said, they both have their strengths and weaknesses over the other. One isnt "better" than the other, they're just different and it is going to come down to personal taste more than anything. Whatever you choose, make sure there is some service history and ask for receipts of any work claimed to have been done

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #36
jixel 78

The 6 cylinder BA will serve you better for the money. Find the right car, have it inspected. The AU was good, 10 years ago. The BA drives far better than AU, they were dynamically much better. The AU has a cult following, the 5 litres are fun to drive, but theyre getting long in the tooth now, and in my opinion more prone to expensive maintenance these days, more oil leaks, they suffer from the trans cooler failure as well, how anyone could prefer the interior in an AU is beyond me(AU Fairlane?You have to be kidding that you prefer that to any BA) and BAs are at an age now where most previous owners have repaired, or paid to repair the common stuff. The BA engine has more grunt, coil on plug ignition,twin cams and whilst will use the same amount fuel as an AU(yeh yeh AUs use less blah) and the BA rear suspension is more durable than the BF/FG stuff because it has a steel encased solid rubber rear diff bush. The later stuff has a resin type which fail more often. Sure the AU has its merit, they were good, but the world has moved on, the BA is a far better car for the money IMO. Ive worked for Ford for nearly 16 years, and Ive driven every model of both series, so I reckon that qualifies an opinion. Go for an XR in either series if you can find one for the money, it`ll hold its value better than the other models
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #37
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own a BF but have driven my share of BAs and AUs (dad has a BA, best mate had an AUIII, and I've rented AU I, II and III and driven them extensively when they were new). Personally, I'd choose the BA over the AU any day of the week.

Interior - I prefer the B-series' interior design to the AU. Hell, I prefer the B-series' Fairmont/Fairmont Ghia interior design to the FG, even. The B-series interior, particularly the dash/centre stack, is attractive and ergonomic. My Fairmont's climate control is much easier to operate than the tiny buttons on the FG. I haven't driven an AU with a high end dash, though.

Exterior - I prefer the B-series again. It's way better looking than the AU, although comparing a Falcon to a Fairlane is comparing apples to oranges. I like the AU Fairlane, and the B-series Falcon.

BA's engine is far better than the AU. Although I will acknowledge that sometimes I get a bit of throttle lag, but nothing significant. Mechanical throttles are so last century.

Autos - same box, but the tiptronic shift in the BA is great. I also prefer the BA's steering over the AU's - the BA's give better feel.

Reliability - I honestly can't make a comparison. Some say AUs are bulletproof, yet my mate's AUIII crapped itself after 280,000km. It depends on how well the car is looked after. Dad's BA has 213,000kms and only needed a new power steering pump in that time. My BF has 94,000km and needs a new centre diff ...

AU has better air cond and better headlights.

AU is a great car, but the BA is just that much better again, in my view.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #38
washoutbeach

no contest, its the BA.
washoutbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #39
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

It really comes down to what you want from the vehicle.

How long do you plan to keep it?

If you simply want a roomy a to b daily that does it effortlessly then either will be adequate.
If you want to be a traffic light racer, go the BA in manual guise as the extra killawasps is noticable and would kill either the VCT 6 or 5.0l Fairlane off the line stock for stock.
If you'd rather get to your destination a little more sedately and in much greater comfort and style, go the Fairlane They can be picked up very cheaply as they are not sought after.

At the end of the day a good, clean example of either car will do the job. The fact that you have considered the AU, which i believe is actually an NU in Fairlane guise, would suggest that you are comfortable with the Fairlanes looks.
Not everyone is.

Personally i would go a late model 5.0l Fairlane simply because they are different to the other swarm of post 02 Falcodore's and would make for a nice weekend sleeper with a few mods.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #40
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
You can have Gas AND a sub (the original one).... I do

Haha pretty nifty, nice

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #41
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For your 7k I would much prefer a tidy and clean AU2/3 XR6 than a clapped out BA.
Any chance you could get your hands on some more coin and aim for a BF?
Better car than the BA.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #42
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Id go the AU,

I own one, The TS, but we also owned a I6 AU Fairmont, a very good car, we also had a BA sedan. All of these cars we new or near new and under 100k on the clock. so all were very reliable smooth cars.

Id go the AU lane as a pic. Better sound, better IRS I like the style (personal preference) but the BA is a sharp car and there is plenty of nice ones around. The Lane is also more likely to have been garaged and pampered for the 1st half of its life. Also high spec cars are more fun

But there are no guarantees check any car thoroughly.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #43
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I have owned an AUII XR6 and now still have a BA MKII XR8. I will reply to this thread in an unbiased way.

First off, my BA XR8 (despite the typical BA issues) is the best Falcon I have owned ever full stop. This includes EB, EF and EL we have driven in the past.

The AU and BA they are getting on in terms of age. So what will determine a good car or a bad one is not what it is but rather how its been looked after and how aware the owner is with regards to the their problems and having a shop or themselves to resolve it. Like the theory on houses location, location, location, for cars over 6 years old its condition, condition and condition.

AU Pro's
The live axle is tried and proven, been around since 1982 (No issues with diff bushes, though in my AU I had a chronic growly tailshaft whirr since I got it). The SOHC with the gasket finally sorted is a bullet proof engine. No electronic throttle, no DOHC and less computer interference with the engine operation. I agree the plastics of the AUII/III do feel classy and there is a warm feel due to more carpeting and door trim. The brakes are up to the job for the weight of the car. If you buy the XR variant the skirts feels solid and the front bar and rear bar are far more solid than the BA. There are bolts holding these things instead of 99% clips. Little wonder you had to pay extra for the Tickford kit.

BA Pro's
The IRS (the control blade design where it absorbs the vibration and suspension noise) makes it a much more refined car to drive the live axle Falcons. Combine that with the much cushier ride and heavier car which runs over the bumps rather than bounces over them its more of a grand tourer which in my books is what a sports saloon should be rather than a corner attacking, hard riding, bone jiggling, choppy stiff side walled sports car. The interior command center is very contemporary and refined. The 10 speed fan, the display of HVAC modes even in LCD for is superior to the AU rotating XF style HVAC. Engines in BA are far more superior with DOHC and a massive increase in power and refinement from both V8's and 6's.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #44
robbyj
Rob

Iv owned my AU 'classic' for a few years now (136,000 to 200,000) now. Only thing i have had to replace is the power steering pump.

I have always try to look after my car as best as i can, but i have enjoyed it as well. (track days etc)

Compared to my misses BA and a few mates own BA's.

-These are from my experiences and my opinions-

I prefer the AU styling, couple of cheap mods and they look really nice
(i can completely understand the disgust they sometimes get though)
The ba's just seem so plain and generic.

The AU is lighter, and handles/responds better

The ride quality in the BA is better

I like the BA center control, nicer to use. The AU has the nicer interior and is more comfortable.

Traffic light duels against my mates BA xr6, the miss, and my mates BA ute, i beat them everytime. Mines had a bit more done to it though.
(my other mates el xr6 trumps us all)

for your 7k id be looking at getting a nice clean AU, and you'd still have a few $$ left over to do some basic things if your so inclined.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #45
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Ba...

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #46
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does it have to be a Falcon? For $7k you can pick yourself up a Mitsubishi 380 with around 150,000kms on the clock. You get a good amount of features, even in the base model. 5 speed auto, 3.8L V6 which is bulletproof, quality made and well put together car. Only issues were window regulators and a ticking ECV.

I bought an LX model last year and I've put 20,000kms on it already (63,000 when I bought it), and it's been totally trouble free. All I've done is change the engine oil and transmission fluid.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #47
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

BA hands down, I cross shopped exactly as you are. Interior, drivability and every other point that was inportant to me the BA won easily.

Preferred the BA soft touch interior to the hard plastic of the AU, more user friendly ICC and all one unit. More powerful engine and you don't notice drive by wire, it's not 1998! Looks better but that's subjective. And just as reliable. I'm at 235 000kms and no trans issues or engine troubles. BA is more refined and a nicer place to be. BF is better again if you can stretch that far.

Stereo is fine, only issue I see is with the hand brakes and brake shudder which also were issues on the Au.

BA is more car for your money and a better car overall. My 2c
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Does it have to be a Falcon? For $7k you can pick yourself up a Mitsubishi 380 with around 150,000kms on the clock. You get a good amount of features, even in the base model. 5 speed auto, 3.8L V6 which is bulletproof, quality made and well put together car. Only issues were window regulators and a ticking ECV.

I bought an LX model last year and I've put 20,000kms on it already (63,000 when I bought it), and it's been totally trouble free. All I've done is change the engine oil and transmission fluid.
Why do you bother coming on Ford Forums to always suggest cars from other makes?

Personally I'd take a high series car of an older model than a low series model of the next series any day of the week, especially if the older one is a V8.

AU steering is way better than BA as is the handling of the double wishbone IRS. Although in saying that i'm not really a fan of the AU Fairlanes looks, apart from the TL50. They definately need wheels and lowered suspension to look decent. And the AU Fairlane interior is superb, apart from the silly oval pod in the middle of the dash that ruined the look.

And V8 Windsors are pretty much bullet proof. If properly serviced 400,000+ kms isn't too much to expect from them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #49
LightingBA

I had a BA, it was a fantastic car apart from the diff bushes, but once sorted it was awesome. Honestly tho at the age some of these cars are getting to, I personally would buy the one in the best condition regardless of whether its an AU or BA. Both are great cars in there own right. You cant go wrong with either.
LightingBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #50
MattsDisturbed
Bseries

I'll add my 2 cents to the debate. Both are good cars. I would choose the BAs over AUs anyday though, because they are much more of a modern car with modern features, they do have a few aforementioined faults* but they are such well known that if you're smart when looking at potential candidates you'll check them all out and weigh up replacement costs.

The AU is a good basic car, and will get you from A to B quite well.
The BA is a much better car, the ride comfort is excellent on all models and the handling is superb. The interior has a much more modern, european and quality feel and styling. The DOHC Barra straight six is by far the superior engine and the sports auto gearbox feels strong and smooth.

In the end, BA, definitely.

*Things to look for and check in a BA, and methods that don't cost much money to solve any faults:
  • Bad brake pedal shudder - either get the rotors machined for ~ $40 or replace them with aftermarket DBA items (starting around $150ish) and fit them correctly following all the methods for cleaning the hub prior to fitment.
  • Transmission Slipping out of gear ratios because of oil contamination. -Fit a Transmission cooler kit that costs about $200, saves $5-7K to rebuild gearbox.
  • Diff Bush failure. I don't know much about the labour involved in this but purely looking at the cost of the part, it looks to be about $60 -$80.

Check it out:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11336211
MattsDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #51
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BA PROS
Smoother 6
Better calibration of the 4sp auto
CONS
that stupid laggy, pathetic, electronic throttle
bushes everywere and anywere clunking, thumping and some require removal of whole diff cradle to fix
heater mixer shaft

AU PROS
better on fuel
better built interior
acually looks like a fairlane without spotting the badge
just look at the throttle and you are away
great steering feel
CONS
6 not as smooth
auto not as refined

My opinion anyway
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #52
blk6t

Unfortunately regardless of the vehicle being a AU or BA, your gunna have problems, respectfully.....at the age these vehicles are at, it all comes down to the owner and how much the car has been looked after...

I think you should just keep an open mind and look at all cars within your budget, find the best one that has had the most care and buy it...

Make sure the person you purchase the vehicle from is not a "P" plater (no offense to our fellow P plater members) and make sure it has not been written off in the past and has no finance...

Other than that go look and have fun!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #53
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Why do you bother coming on Ford Forums to always suggest cars from other makes?
What's wrong with looking at other makes and models of cars? There are a lot of other cars in the AU/BA segment that offer better value for money, are better built, better on fuel, more reliable etc etc. The 380 just happens to be one of them, so I suggested it. Unless he specifically wants a Falcon, for whatever reason, then that's cool, I can respect that.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #54
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Your advice is warranted.

Hi Buntz
Iwill tell you what
put your $7k in your pocket and jump
on a plane and fly to Briabane
I have a BA Ghia in un marked condition
with a reco trans and new radiator
new tyres rego and RWC and you can drive it home
after you give me the $7 large
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #55
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
What's wrong with looking at other makes and models of cars? There are a lot of other cars in the AU/BA segment that offer better value for money, are better built, better on fuel, more reliable etc etc. The 380 just happens to be one of them, so I suggested it. Unless he specifically wants a Falcon, for whatever reason, then that's cool, I can respect that.
We're on a Ford Enthusiasts site, and this Ford enthusiast is asking solely about two particular Fords pro and cons.

He obviously wants to buy a Ford, so why suggest otherwise? This is a biased Ford website, what do you expect?

I think a general automotive forum with no particular brand allegiance may be more appropriate for you.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #56
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
We're on a Ford Enthusiasts site, and this Ford enthusiast is asking solely about two particular Fords pro and cons.

He obviously wants to buy a Ford, so why suggest otherwise? This is a biased Ford website, what do you expect?

I think a general automotive forum with no particular brand allegiance may be more appropriate for you.
OP said he wanted a new car and had 7k to spend. Then said he liked the AU and BA - he never specified he definitely wanted a Falcon or a Ford. I even prefaced my post with, "Does it have to be a Falcon?"

I like this forum because generally people are accepting of various opinions on cars of all makes and models. This is "The Pub" afterall.

Maybe you should spend less time singling my posts out for your own crusade, and more time chilling out.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #57
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^ Yeah the 380 would be a great car, I wonder if any owners of the 7 that sold are willing to sell?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #58
Kryton

Quote:
OP said he wanted a new car and had 7k to spend. Then said he liked the AU and BA - he never specified he definitely wanted a Falcon or a Ford. I even prefaced my post with, "Does it have to be a Falcon?"

I like this forum because generally people are accepting of various opinions on cars of all makes and models. This is "The Pub" afterall.

Maybe you should spend less time singling my posts out for your own crusade, and more time chilling out.
Give it a rest already.
No where at all did he ask if there was any alternative other than a Ford - he asked specifically about an AU or BA - nothing else.
Maybe you should spend more time reading the question that was ASKED - not trying to answer a question that WASNT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
I'm stuck between two models which both appeal to me. An AU Fairlane Ghia, and BA Falcon/Futura/Fairmont.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #59
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I prefer AU over BA as people have said looks are subjective.

This is also comparing AU XR6 to BA XR8 so there are some discrepancies.

The AU handling feels sharper with amazing turnin.
I feel the AU seats are farm more comfortable especially during a long drive. BA seems to get uncomfortable etc.
As for repairs etc it really depends on the vehicle its self on individual basis being that these cars are now second hand, so if you have a couple of options and cant decide, (AU or BA) have them checked out and pick the best/most mechanically sound.
Also like others have mention felt the throttle response in BA was delayed, however it wasn't horrible.

Like many have said and the obvious buying second hand your more likely to pic up lower Km tidier AU than BA. If your going to be in the car all day/for long periods of time go the AU.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #60
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends how much of a Ford enthusiast OP is - more commited enthusiast would pick AU ( car that only true enthusiast could love ) - everyone else would go for BA...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post